8 things that Microsoft needs to fix in Windows Phone 8 right now

With the release of BlackBerry 10 this week, Microsoft has even more fresh blood for competition in the smartphone business. While one could argue that it is still Android or iOS that Microsoft is up against, the picture painted for spring 2013 is one of stiff competition and a fight for the third spot.

Windows Phone 8 has made great strides in making Redmond’s mobile OS much better than its predecessor, most importantly with the new NT kernel which will allow Microsoft to grow the OS. Having said that, there is a lot of room for improvement and we’re not just talking about touch-up features either but core aspects that need to be addressed.

Below is a list of 8 things we think Microsoft needs to fix in order for Windows Phone to really take off. We’re confident Microsoft already knows about these and in fact may have solutions in the pipeline. At least that's the hope.

Before we start we should note that Microsoft is rumored to be revealing some new features coming to Windows Phone 8 next month in Barcelona.

Traditionally Microsoft has a rather large presence at the mobile-focused conference and their absence from CES in January sets up Microsoft to gain back some momentum in the press.  We’re not 100% sure Microsoft will divulge an updated OS but we’re anticipating.

Now on to the list...

#1 Notification Center

Android, iOS and especially BlackBerry 10 all have notification centers, allowing users to have a unified single area to check the status of various apps and services. On Windows Phone, Live Tiles were supposed to be that but in reality, it’s not that simple.  Whether it’s an optional blinking LED or making use of the left-area of the Start screen, Microsoft needs a simple and elegant solution here. Check out this great design concept from our forums

Rumor has it they wanted this for the release of Windows Phone 8 but simply ran out of time. Fair enough. But it better be there in the next update or it will continue to dog the platform.

#2 Universal Search

Likewise, this feature was rumored to be coming in either Windows Phone 7.5 ‘Tango’ or Windows Phone 8, yet this function mysteriously never arrived. It seems simple enough: Hit the Bing search key to make inquiries on the web as well as within the device. Search email, SMS, within apps, documents, etc.

It’s not a radical idea and other competing OSs already have this on board. In fact, Windows 8 has a nifty search feature, allowing you to dynamically search through various apps. It’s way overdue on Windows Phone.

#3 Instagram

Yes, we hate writing about it as much as you probably loathe reading it, but the fact is until this hipster service is on Windows Phone, it will absolutely prevent people from switching. We’ve had random conversations with Best Buy and AT&T employees and even a waitress who’ve all said the same thing: until this popular photo sharing app is on Windows Phone, it will always be a deal-killer.

For the record, Microsoft and Nokia know how important this is and we don’t think it’s from lack of trying that it’s not there. But there’s more to this than just throwing money at the Facebook company and while we don’t know the details, we’re sure there are talks of some sort going on.

Regardless, it needs to be here yesterday.

#4 ‘X’ to Close Apps

This one is so simple and yet Microsoft has yet to do it. In the card view of multitasking apps, just give us an ‘X’ to tap out an app.

C’mon Microsoft, the paradigm already exists with multiple Tabs in Internet Explorer—just extend it to apps.  It’s simple to do and it will make many folks happy (even if it is arguably unnecessary).

#5 Better Xbox Gaming

We’ve been beating this horse for a while now (see our continuing series) but it does need to be mentioned again. Xbox gaming on Windows Phone since day one has been underwhelming.

Integration with Kinect? Never materialized. Synchronous game play with Xbox 360? Never happened. A centerpiece game like Halo to really pull people in? Nope, not yet.

It is embarrassing that Microsoft has not been able to fully leverage the Xbox 360 with Windows Phone in 2012 or 2013 and it needs to be fixed.

Just look at the video above of Microsoft’s Eric Rudder demonstrating the gaming potential between PC, Xbox and Windows Phone and the game ‘Indiana Jones’. We covered that story back in March 2010.—nearly three years ago--need we say more?

#6 Folders

Yup, here’s one that iOS and Android have given into and now have solutions for: folders. The idea being that some of us may have multiple media apps that we want grouped together, or a bunch of pins we want rounded up in a quick access folder. It’s a simple thing and becomes increasingly necessary as people add more apps, pins and tiles to their devices. Windows 8 makes use of “grouping” and Windows Phone needs to as well.

#7 Independent volume and profiles

Smartphones are called as much because they are supposed to be smart meaning we shouldn’t have to do certain tasks. Having our phones switch audio and notification profiles for home, work, movie theaters, etc. goes back to Windows Mobile and apps like PhoneAlarm. Why do they not exist on Windows Phone?

Likewise, let’s finally give users the ability to control the ringer volume independent of system/game volume, same with an easier way of going ‘silent’.

#8 Fix Xbox Music and Video

The whole three-screens-and-a-cloud vision only works if your media can truly transcend devices. Microsoft hit the reset button on their media services with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and while there are to be expected growing pains, they really need to get that system on track. With the amount of DRM errors for music and the inability to watch Xbox Videos on our phones, it’s a real hindrance.

Hope for 2013

So those are our Top Eight major things Microsoft needs to sort out. Is that an exhaustive list? Certainly not.

Other features like the ability to force-check app updates, fix YouTube (perhaps out of Microsoft’s hands), a more powerful email client or even making Windows 8 gestures and Tile functionality overlap with Windows Phone to give users the same experience are all up for grabs.

Like we said, we’re sure hoping that Microsoft addresses all or some of these in the near-term, specifically in Barcelona. We have a feeling that they are and for the platform’s sake, they better. BlackBerry is now breathing down our necks and Android and iOS are so far ahead in the market it’s borderline scary.

Microsoft has a solid foundation with Windows Phone 8. Let’s see them quickly build on it.

Comments

dtriono says:

and.. Contact Purge.. I really hate to see 5 contacts linked together where they are in fact only 2 unique .. Outlook and Facebook and Hotmail somehow replicate themselves (shrug)..

dtriono says:

Another thing is Unified, international store. I really can't understand why it should be different. No, seriously I really don't. I mean I paid just like the next guy so.. why? Really annoying. "But iTunes is also different in every country.." so what?! Do BETTER than them, I'll say!

GuybrushCH says:

There IS an easy way to go silent... just tap the bell icon when the volume level is showing.

sayonical says:

In stead of folders I would like semantic zoom

RayWP7 says:

Agreed! Instagram? Ugh, sadly true until it becomes lame for "cool" people.

1Rahtid says:

Excellent article. We should all hope that honest articles like this one will serve to push the platform forward. Regardless whether there are other worthy areas requiring improvements and regardless what order such request should be placed in, these 8 are all necessary and MUST be addressed by Microsoft, and quickly, before the end of this year.

Microsoft abandoned Windows Mobile in order to create a more advanced OS, yet that more advanced OS (Windows Phone 7) lacked features and capabilities that were baked into the OS it replaced. They then abandoned WinPhone 7 in order to create a more advanced OS, and again the new OS (WinPhone 8) lacks features and capabilities that were baked into the system it replaces. In both cases, it is the customer who is left feeling frustrated and cheated. Microsoft cannot hope to honestly compete against iOS and Android for market share when its OS is way behind in features and capabilities. Microsoft must urgently and feverishly work to deliver feature parity for WinPhone 8, and then when that's delivered they cannot rest, but must instantly get back to work to innovate and deliver features that push Windows Phone ahead of competing platforms. Only then will Microsoft realize success in the smartphone market. As consumers of Windows Phone, and fans of the OS, being complacent with the current state of the system is not going to drive improvements. Being patient is not going to deliver the features that the OS needs.

Being honest and aggressively pushing Microsoft to deliver a premium experience and deliver it NOW is the way forward. We, especially those who bought into Windows Mobile and then 7.x and now 8, have been patient long enough.

NosRokanaske says:

I think another way to improve the way WP8 interacts is if you can remap what holding down the touch buttons do. For instance, i dont mind that the start menu held down brings up the voice command thing, but if paired with the notification hub it would make it even more effective. Something to add to the notification hub thing would be a pop out feature where you dont necessarily have to pop out of the hub to reply to emails or messages

DJCBS says:

Honestly I only see as URGENT numbers 4, 6 and 7.

And much more important than Insta-foodpictures-gram I think it's the capacity to personalize sms and email tones. It's a basic function which is essential, specially when the tones the phones bring as as shitty as they are and there's more than one Windows Phone in a household. It's f*cking annoying to listen to the sound of an incoming sms/email/whatever and have everyone checking their phones because one can't f*cking tell from which device the sound came.
Because, guess what? BB, Symbian, iOS and Android they ALL have that. And by the logic of #1, such function should also be available. And note that a notification centre is not THAT essencial with a system of live tiles. Whereas the different tones are.

So that's my #1 which I hope is fixed quickly along with #4 #6 and #7

(Edit: Regarding #6, I'm thinking about the capacity of creating and organizing folders to organize pictures and videos without having to connect to a PC. Not the folders one finds in iOS to place Apps into.)

katakulli says:

i know that feeling.

bono5112 says:

Great article Daniel, and soooo spot on !!

TJWINS says:

We need a more usable calendar with custom reminder times and better snooze options.

romeze says:

You know just reading this article, it made me think why did I even bother getting a windows phone? Seems all I see is faulty product forums and what windows needs to be competitive. Myself I fell in love with the tiles but after about a month that gets old. I have to turn everything off just to have enough juice to finish the day. I need to see at least four of these fixes addressed in the next update, because I am growing very frustrated and have considered other options for my needs.

jmarnell says:

All of these recommendations are so much needed and I am simply amazed that Microsoft did not incorporate them into Windows phone 8. For Gods sake, RIM completely rewrote every line of code for BlackBerry OS 10 and got it right. Shame on Microsoft for being out played by a company nearly out of business.

Coke Robot says:

All of that sounds good, except folders, X to close, and the notification center. The Start Screen in Windows Phone 8 allows for baby tiles, so you can group like 8 small tiles of different apps in what would had been a large tile space. No need for a folder, and it would also negate the visual design of metro. Speaking of that, X to close is a tad redundant and would be weird with Windows 8 apps. A better idea would just to steal Windows 8's app close pull down gesture. And the notification center, this isn't really needed. Again, the Windows Phone 8 Start Screen is much more useful than 7's was, so again, you can put a bunch of app tiles that are small, medium or large on it and they're all live. The mockup, the one of the far left shown above, is pretty redundant as well as a good Start Screen would already show that with the Phone app, Me tile, Messaging hub, and on the WhatsApp tile. The point of the Start Screen is to pin and see, not to be bare and masked. If this was Windows Phone 7, a notification center would be nice, but in 8 with the lock screen and different tile sizes, it's kind of ridiculous and pointless. If apps don't show all the notifications, that's a third party app issue that could be easily solved by making the live tile flip and show updated content and maybe a new content count on the tile as well.

Remember, this is WINDOWS Phone, the live tiles are little "windows" into the app. That's why it's called the "new Windows."

Great list! Spot on!

bibbo81 says:

They HAVE TO remove the stupid limit of 15 background apps!

Sean Davison says:

Are you serious right now? 15 running apps isn't enough?? It's a smartphone not a desktop computer....

scdkad says:

List the 15 apps you have to run at the same time please!

ihavewp8 says:

Keep battery, time, on top

uopjo6 says:

Notification? I thought this is the last place I'd be hearing about a Notification center. Add notifications and a folders, then you might as well just get an Android.

I'm a WP user and loving the OS w/o those unecessary features.

Whodaboss says:

My thoughts exactly!
Notifications:  Not needed or required
Universal search:  Big whoops!
Instagram:  Hell NO!  Definitely not required!
"X" to Close Apps:  Ok.  I can go for that!
Better Xbox Gaming:  Don't use my phone for games so not interested.  But I get it some do use their phones for this.
Folders:  Really?!  I have this on my iPhone 5 and I'm not impressed.  Not one bit!
Independent volume:  Didn't realize this was an issue.  Never had a problem with any volume for any programs.
Xbox Music/Video:  It plays all the music I want to listen to so I have zero issues.  But with anything I always look forward to feature improvements.

My 2 cents!

You are in the minority.
I am sure we could find a few WP users who'd say "There is no need for a touch screen, it's overrated" IF Microsoft hadn't implemented proper touch input for the OS.

Whodaboss says:

Really?!  That's your point?!  Ok so be it if you believe I'm in the minority.  Truthfully, if people want those features please don't stop, go directly to Android and iOS.  Don't even bother with WP.  I have an iPhone 5 as well a Nokia WP device and my WP device way bettter than my iPhone 5 without these so called missing features.  To each his/her own!

You nailed it Daniel...

I hope people at Redmond are reading WPCentral, the suggestions and the criticism...

Just to add...please a better desktop sync client, ability to toggle settings from any screen and may be a speed dial..

Benjisbrk says:

Seriously ? Instagram ? Really ? And screen orientation lock is not even on the list ?

The list is not just for you; it is for the platform and what it needs to make WP a viable option for the majority.

miloadams says:

a comment to the closing notes of the article: The tiles in Windows 8 aren't as functional, personal, or thoughtful from as design perspective as they are on Windows Phone 8. The windows 8 tile scheme seems like an unfinished and misunderstanding of original windows phone tile experience intent. If there's a convergence of the start screens I HOPE that windows 8 adopts the windows phone design philosophy and functionality and NOT vice versa.

danielgr says:

I sure agree with some of the items (like search and the Xbox Music/Video thing), but to me the rest seem to go in the direction of Microsoft cloning Android mess.

Personally, one of the beauties of WP to me has always been the way they reduced functionality to the essentials. At the begining I remember I was missing features such as: "why can't I choose the length of my snoozing time for an alarm". "Why only having the option to ring/vibrate instead of the usual modes?", "Why not independent volume?".

Little by little, and after swtiching phones several times (my Toshiba IS12T broke 3 times in 1 and a half years; right now I'm on a Galaxy SIII, of which I love the display but hate the OS), I've trully come to appreciate the usefulness of simplicity. I just rather have the possibility of doing 90% of what others do 1000% simpler and faster, than cluttering the OS with limitless options that end up making me lose my time on a daily basis.

That is pretty easy to understand if you take the average Android user, and check out how much of his phone capabilities he is actually able to exploit. The truth is most of them do litle more than text-messaging and opening the facebook app. The rest, just like a PC in the past, remains a complete mistery, about which some of their best informed friends claim all kinds of marvels, sometimes even show them: "woaw, my phone can do that! how cool is that?". If only they remembered for more than a few minutes, and if only it was actually usefull on their daily lives.

Sure in dumb features-lists WP will always end up losing, but sure it's simplicity to achieve do what's most relevant to most people is what makes most WP users love their phones much more than the average person likes his/her Android. Sure hope that Microsoft remains on the path of simplicity, and keep their focus in preaching the message that "more" isn't necessarily always "better". And that the key thing is that the phone does the most for you while requiring the less from you. That was their message from day1 (taking people out from their phones), a message that many on the IT blogosphere failed to catch, seem they keep failing to catch. It's only natural if you consider that for people writing here this represents "their life", they just tend to forget that the rest of us we just need a (smart)phone.

My list in addition to this list:
1. Add features to Internet Explorer, no back and forth button?? Also, most websites are 'adapted for your browser' and look 1000x worse than mobile sites.
2. Copied text dissapears after a few hours, having to recopy text later on is really annoying
3. xbox music sucks!!! I know it's already in the list but this thing must really be fixed asap!
4. Where is Spotify? And Pandora with 12 months of ad free listening?
5. Ability to change search provider from Bing to Google. Honestly, Bing sucks compared to Google.
6. No true multitasking. Cmon, at least do it for TWO of the most recent apps!

Boris Gong says:

Maybe you can try UC Browser for list No.1

frenzydude says:

And attaching .pdf files to email (and other files for that matter)

phing77 says:

Fix "Other Folder" asap.i only have 4gb more left with a few app and media file with 32gb storage :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Instead of just moaning about stuff on here, get a hold of customer service and voice your concerns. The squeaky hinge gets the oil.

neelagopi says:

Totally out of context: But why is wpcentral using Google-custom-search, why not bing?

EMINENT 1 says:

You really need to add bluetooth functionality. I still cannot auto pair like I did with my 900.
And, proximity sensor needs to be fixed so I can see the keypad again during a call when pulled away from my face.
Absolutely ridiculous I have to keep blowing compressed air to allow it to sense more light to press a key on the phone.

ImpalaDoug says:

I don't want independent volume controls for ringer, music, games, etc. unless they can all be controlled together through my volume rocker on the side. Back in mu android days, there were times in church that I had turned the volume all the way down, yet I found myself embarrassed when a sound that wasn't a ringing incoming call still managed to play loud and clear. Not cool. But I guess that's what I got for not turning my phone off at church. :-). So as long as all volume levels will respect the side rocker level, then I am good. :-).

Maybe just a simple mixer app would suffice. Or even simpler, just have a mixer that can slide down from the top "toaster area" (or open by a button) which displays when using the volume rocker anyway. That would be too convenient. And ultimately follows the use ability convention of the volume level mixer in the Windows desktop OS.

I believe you should have set your phone to 'Silent'. Turning the volume down has never been the solution to what you described. That is EXACTLY why Silent Mode is there.

baseballbert says:

How about phone screens that don't scratch if they touch oxygen molecules.

I'd be lovely if MS could expand the playable formats for the videos as well.  Most of mine are .mkvs... of course with VLC heading our way this isn't that big an issue.  The music portion has its own share of issues though.  Second VLC launches I'll consider a bit if I should just do away with teh Xbox video/music app, and stick to Nokia music instead.

Panda EXE says:

In addition to all of that, they should add:
-Screen orientation lock
-A slider to seek through your music and videos
-A way to toggle through silent, vibrate, and ring only instead of two options of what's already set.
-When there is a drop list for something you put text in, if it's too long and you have to scroll down, you can't be cause the QUERTY field blocks you from scrolling further.
-Why that empty black space at the top of the home screen? Why no make the first set of tiles meet just underneath the battery, signal, etc. information? It would look better to make the tiles aligned with the borders of the screen.
-Add an option to keep the battery info/signal/WiFi always on-screen.
-Notification center of some sort.
-Add an option to enter specific text and app notification from the lock screen.
-Text shortcuts.

Sean Davison says:

Sounds to me like you want Windows MOBILE... or Android, so yeah. See ya!

mihesq says:

The funny thing is, these features are what I've been waiting for since WP7 came out and after two years nothing.   So I doubt I'd even see these features implemented into WP8 anytime soon.

oscargodson says:

Everyone always complains about #1, but coming from having an iPhone since they implemented it, it never got used. My wife never opens it either. Most people I know say their notifications fill up so they never open it.

Instagram tho is a must. Search and the X to close apps would be nice.

oscargodson says:

Oh, seriously, please add a rotation lock. Biggest and one of my only gripes about WP8.

MerlotC says:

Id like to see Xbox Music working as good as Zune did (or just bring back Zune) and Skype actually usable/working.

WoWNyx says:

What about backing up locations of life tiles? So that If we have to reset or format our phone the tiles can always be restored to their position after all the apps have been downloaded.

There is also the need to attach PDF into emails and not just pictures. The email app should allow users to attach anything they like may it be documents,PDF video. Or audios.

Sean Davison says:

Have you ever bothered to look into what the back up feature actually does?

danielgr says:

One thing I'd love to see, imho much more important than most of the stuff here, is a synchronized camera roll folder.
Being a phone it doesn't need to be instant, but it'd be great if:

• Phone camera roll was nothing but an off-line cache of my Skydrive Camera Roll.
    • When I take a picture, it gets automatically updated with my Skydrive Camera Roll (full-res, as in WP8)
    • When I delete a picture on my skydrive, it's also removed from my phone

Its just apps really, sad but true, but I'm thankful windows has been my first and only OS for a smartphone, the whole "need to be like everyone else" NEEDS you listed are so not. Like notifications, My start screen is my notification screen and it works perfect. Too bad its not what your used to so apparently that's bad ...pfft

mughni says:

You forgot about a decent PDF reader and how the lack of it is making people suffer. i almost went to sell my brand new week old fone.

Ravenkoz says:

I totally agree with the paragraphs number 1, 4, 6 and 7 on the article :) Those would more than welcome!

paras chugh says:

is this the article with the most no. of comments on wpcentral ? ......hope WP makers read this

Ronnet says:

I heard that Windows Phone used to have universal search in its earliest version. But users were confused how to use the search function within apps as there was now software search key and they failed to understand the concept of universal search. Microsoft gave in, added software search keys and made the search button very pointless.

Of course they are repeating history with Windows 8. I LOVE the universal search that even lets me search within apps from the startscreen. But many do not understand the concept. Just look up the wikipedia app, its getting a lot of 1 stars because people say they can't search for articles...

So is Microsoft going to give up again? I hope not, just stick to it and hopefully people will grow a brain. I hope to see universal search return to WP when it finally gets understood on Windows 8. A temporary solution could be the combination of the search button/charm as well as software search keys.

bridder says:

I'd like to see better call management, in this aspect WP has moved backwards from dumbphones, how about accept calls only from Contacts list, it would be good to have custom lists with rules that can be applied to each list too. Some basic control over who can call you and when would be great...

Gary Ormond says:

My concern is that Microsoft just don't 'get it' and are a bit like the Emperor in his new clothes. Also, other media outlets, such as pocketnow, are far less forgiving of MS's obvious blunders, and so are their readership. MS need to sort this out quickly or the platform will die, killed by a mixture of Software mistakes, aggressive critiquing, derision from fans of the other platforms and WP user despair at the state, still, of something that we know could be good; but MUST be better.

TudorD says:

the most important things are sound profiles (with time,place,contact,etc. management) and vpn.

phazer89 says:

Don't really have a need for folders personally, especially with the quarter-size tiles.

HM02 says:

The words "competition" and "Blackberry" in the same sentence? HA!

cheshirster says:

I really really hope, that MS would not listen to most of silly "usability" suggestions and would not turn today's greate WP-experience into another crapdroid mess.
Notification center would be some kind of a spammed mail box that you would not ever want to open. I already have all needed notifications on tiles.
Folders is just a way to hide things you don't need from sight. Using folders is like cleaning your room by taking garbage under the carpet. Just take it out and forged.
I dont need garbage collectors on my phone.

1-Then don't open it. No one is forcing you.
2-I didn't know you throw your files in the recycle bin instead of hiding them under the carpet (categorizing them into folders on your PC). Or you'd rather throw your books out instead of categorizing the books in your bookshelf. Every library around the world, take note.

cheshirster says:

1) I will be forced by developers. Just like with system screen orientation lock every developer would think "Why should i care personally in my app? There is a system switch, user can toggle it if it is needed".
It will be "Why should i inform user in my app? There is a Notification center for it". In case of 100's of apps it will be total chaos.

2) It is not a computer. It is limited by space, by battery, by screen size. Google tends to turn smartphone in full-blown computer just because they don't have a desktop OS. MS have it, and I too own a Windows PC.
Libraries and bookstores all use shelves with alphabetical order, not some kind of "folder-in-folder-in-folder" disorder.

invisik says:

It is very embarrasing #7 Profiles have not been implemented.  I've gotten used to the two choices (Ring/Vibe or Vibe) but come one, ring profiles are a basic feature these days even on feature phones.  As I understand from an Android user, they have profiles that are location aware (by GPS position or something like that)--that would be incredible.
#4 X to close apps.  Not sure if it is as much essential but the current way of "backing out a zillion times" is just plain confusing.  Apps are a Task... give us an X or some mechinism to end the Task... I'd think would be pretty easy to implement.
#6 Folders.  I'm going ot have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.  I won't complain if they add it, but then you'd partially lose the very cool feature of pressing the alphabetic letter to jump to apps starting with that letter.  I've never seen that before and it's super quick and logical.  Other operating systems need folders to help organize icons because there is no other way to access them then scrolling through.  WP keeps icons in alphabetical order so icons are always found in the expected place and in a logical manner.  (apps like "Amazon Kindle" bug me, as I expect to find "Kindle"  under "K" for Kindle, not "A" for Amazon, but that's just a filing issue).

I suppose you're going to want to take it a step further and let your app icons arrange in any order instead of alphabetical?  Then you've just made it the same as any other phone out there and what's the point in that.  (Or at least leave the default arrangement behavious alphabetical, and give the option to arrange manually).  Or I think that's what the Tiles are for--your own manual arrangement.
And my own suggestion for a new feature from Blackberry 7 (correct me if not included already).. the Unified Inbox.  Too many places to look for new incoming communications.. (text, chats, e-mail from multiple accounts, etc).  I miss that big time.
Lastly, a nit pick just from me, please give me the option to immediately show the dial pad after answering a call.  I have to press a key to answer calls transferred from my cloud PBX and I cannot bring up the dial pad fast enough after picking up my L920 to ever answer a call (I only get like 2 rings).  :)
Keep on keeping on.
-m

danmorrissey says:

I definitely agree about Universal Search. It's the only thing I really miss about my iPhone (and I REALLY don't miss my iPhone). I also agree that anything you rent/buy from Xbox music/video should be available on all Windows devices. That's still all a bit backward.

From a business point of view, I think Calendar REALLY needs a proper week-view. Turn the phone to landscape mode and it should all pivot round.

jfash007 says:

A lot is wrong with d OS, like the phone vibrating when receiving whatsapp notification even though vibrate is set to off under sound settings.

Lenn Liggins says:

I write Instagram once a week and ask them for an app for Windows Phones and we need more people to do the same thing on their Facebook.  Also, I hope Microsoft is reading these suggestions and will do something in the near future to add these features.

Riftsurfer says:

Fix support for Corporate voicemail!
I get asked all the time about my Lumia 920 and when I tell them they won't be able to listen to voicemails from our Cisco Unity system they go running to Android or iPhone. WP 7/7.5 supported the GSM 6.10 and ADPCM codecs for .wav files but WP8 doesn't.

jonathanrn says:

Here here!! All 8 need to be fixed yesterday!!!

Cellus13 says:

Instagram isn't going to happen anytime soon. Nokia US said on Facebook that instagram only responded to the request by saying they're only focusing on making Android and Iphone a fluid experience. Basically they won't make a app for windows phone nor care for it. So we might as well get over it.

pgeller says:

Pretty spot-on, Daniel. A little condescending, but hey, that's you. Personally, I'd be thrilled if they'd figure out how to have separate volume settings, especially for Bluetooth. Play on.

l3yl05a says:

I really love WP8 OS on my Lumia 920 having recently upgraded from a Lumia 800 and really want WP to succeed as I never want to be in a position where I would have to move to the ugly and dated UI's of the competitors should the unspeakable happen and MS decided to pull the plug but being a WP user in the UK I am quite concerned Blackberry may regain 3rd spot from WP if MS do not continue agressive forms of marketing.
The issue with MS is they appear at times to go all out at the start with big marketing campaigns as they did here with TV ads but they only ever last short term and the public only have short memories especially in a market where iOS and Andoid are so far ahead, and although it's on the wain more people would list Blackberry as the third most recognised smartphone OS and wouldn't realise until they went to a shop that WP existed.
MS need to drum more money into advertising, and raising profile of WP. They need to stop exclusivity to stores/carriers as they will never market WP ahead of the others. This was an error they made and are still making with the Surface over here.
They need to provide funding or enticements to get big apps from across retail, banking and others. They really need to stop giving iOS and Andoid our exclusive apps at least for as long as they are still trying to establish market share as why would customers bother to make the move.
They need to sort the xbox games fiasco once and for all as good xbox games on your phone will entice another spectrum of customers.
Music syncing also needs sorting. We want Zune back MS!
We also need a little more comitment from MS overall they have a habbit of putting in their all at the begining and then seem to get bored and drop things to the detriment of the product as time goes on.
Let me reiterate I love WP and W8/RT and have these on my PC and Surface but until some points are addressed I am concerned WP as a huge fight on now and MS really need to step up to the plate and flex some muscle

Please everybody FW this articles link to Belfiore's twitter or FB... Lets make a point !!!!

DavidinCT says:

I've been shocked that the dual volume control has not been there, This is one of the biggest misses from Windows Mobile 6.5. A ringer and notifcation volume then a Media (games, apps, music) volume. It happens a few times a week, I lower the volume to play a quick game when I should not, and I forget to adjust the volume, someone calls and I miss it because I didn't hear it....

If you follow any of my posts, you will know Xbox gaming is top on my list too, Before they didn't have the higer end hardware, now they do, where is the titltes ? THey really need to get the unreal engine on WP8, It's only available on iOS and Android. This is what the big AAA tiles use and with out this in most cases, your not going to get the dream games you hope for. Microsoft should dump a lot of money at this one...

I'll say this again on notification center... The live tile concept is somewhat a conflict... So... In the ME hub there is a page for notification and the Me live tile flashes notification... Granted the functionality there isn't as desired... Its just need to be enahaced... So the live tile for Me should display better messages or icons of notifications for you to dive into...not just FB..... Regular txt messages should not be there... The live tile is fine... But for everything else(fb, twit, linkin,etc)... That's the natural spot to place it

gadgetebz says:

Daniel great article and agree with everything you suggested...
I think Windows 8 could be improved with the following also....
1. Phone Menu - sort out the Phone LOG so it shows CALL DURATION and introduce SMART DIALING
2. Messaging  - Get Skype to work like iMESSAGE with delivery notifications etc...
Also allow third party APPS to Integrate into Windows Phone Messaging. So when I go into Messaging I can send my message via SMS, SKYPE, WHATSAPP etc.........
3. Browsing - Encourage third party browsers like Firefox, Dolphin and Opera
4. Music - Plz bring back Zune!!! Should never have got rid of it, I really think it would have been a hit on Windows 8...   At the very least change the design of the Tile as it looks like a copy of the Games Tile which is confusing...
5. Podcasts - Fix PODCAST for everyone outside the USA !!!
7. SETTINGS - allow more options in SETTINGS for example WHY CAN`T I decide if I want TOAST MESSAGES to preview my received SMS... or If I want my email to automatically download pictures etc....
8. SD CARD - ALLOW USERS the abiliy to move MUSIC, VIDEOS, PODCASTS, Audio books etc to the SD CARD manually. Help Developers download media to the SD CARD properly as often is appears to download to the Phone memory which is no good if you only have 8 GIG and alot of APPS...
9. STANDARDS - I really wish Microsoft would support the most popular standards as well as their own... So Allow WEBKIT BROWSERS and HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for BBC Iplayer etc
10. Make Windows 8 and Windows Phone run the same APPS as I dont see much cross over between the two at the moment.

bigdjunk says:

Most of those reasons are rubbish. In my business, It is the need to be able to play VoIP messages sent to our email account. Cisco is huge. Microsoft is huge. They both care about business, but yet I can't play my voice messages on my phone, when every other phone out there can? I am deploying windows phones and every single user pisses and moans that they can't in their windows phone, but they could in their android or iPhone.
They are wave files... really?? Even 7.x phones could play them!
Things like this just make MS phones appear less-than, compared to androids and iPhones, and that bothers me since I am a huge supporter of MS

Giddora says:

Am I the only one who gets a notification center each time I hit the Windows-button on my phone?

Anyone know why Microsoft deep sixed XBOX video on Windows Phone? If this isn't a temporary development it is really stupid move on Microsoft's part. Even Blackberry now has a video store now.

jptbay says:

#1 Xbox music is a joke. Returned my 920 specifically because of this. Was impossible to get my downloaded Zune pass songs to work. Zune client is far superior.

#2 Rotation lock

#3 Screen shot.

#4 improve calendar

Sean Davison says:

^This right here is more proff that articles like this bring the trolls and crybabies out. I've read over and over about things that already exist in WP.
So to you I say if you ever get your hands on a WP device again, please press the Windows button + camera button and find out what happens.

sarim_xyz says:

You mean, Windows + lock button, for screenshot!

jocke92 says:

I don't see a big use of an "x". It just a bad habit to close/shutdown things. But maybe on apps running in background and with a close gesture like W8. Also folders is a no need in wp because of the usefull app menu. Click on a letter and jump. If you forgot the first letter i the app-name use the magnifier and search or the sugestested "bing" improvement universal search(#2).

cheshirster says:

Double "Back" key closes apps right now on my L820.
What is the point in closing suspended apps that you suggest in #4

c8m6p says:

This is literally the best list that's been put together. It just seems like MS does not have the manpower within the company to be able to update WP on a timely basis. I'm with a lot of other people, if MS doesn't add most or all of these features by next November, im out. The 920 is a nice piece of hardware that is flat out hampered by the OS right now

phatboy66 says:

Instagram is a big deal because the Lumia 920 has such an amazing camera, its crazy that we don't have this application yet

Sean Davison says:

yes it is crazy... insane in fact. But PLEASE do your research and find out why it's not available on WP. Is it MS or instagram?
When you figure it out, maybe it will make you rid yourself of your loyalty to that whack shit.

Spolier Alert: it's not WP's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wookie301 says:

Lumia 920 needs a screen orientation lock

Wevenhuis says:

Yes, Please to all except 3,5,6,.

All I want from Microsoft is VPN support.

bigdjunk says:

Yes, and this is just as important for business as the ability to play cisco wave voice mails.
Screw all the things that the phone needs to make it more fun, MS needs to make the phone a great work device so businesses buy them again.

Simon Kaos says:

Also need to be able to save and e-mail PDF files.

xd1936 says:

#9, and most important of all to me: Podcasts

Sean Davison says:

What about podcasts...?

gadgetebz says:

Daniel
             During 2013 I want Microsoft to deliever FEATURE PARITY with IOS and Android...  I have not idea how Microsoft can claim no time and resources to complete fundimental parts of the Windows Phone OS when Blackberry have just delivered LOCAL SEARCH and NOTIFICATION CENTRE on their first version.
Microsoft obviously did not plan for these features which again makes you wonder do they really understand the market and what people want.....   Anyone remember when they said we users didnt need CUT and PASTE??

Mashgh says:

the main thing is orientation lock

danzeman says:

How about saving usernames and passwords. This is so annoying, even my Symbian browser could do that!

Onerunjunior says:

#1 is SORELY needed, 2-5 I couldn't care less about, #6 is completely stupid because Metro doesn't need folders, that's why it has live tiles (are you actually serious?), #7 is a pretty big thing for me as well because the way volume works on WP8 is pretty dumb, and #8 doesn't matter because the Xbox is useless because Xbox music is a seriously awful service all around and completely pointless to buy into. Buy music from Amazon, the less ecosystems you buy into the better.
The biggest thing I want is to be able to make the damn phone make the sounds I want, not what Microsoft and Nokia want it to. I mean seriously, they talk up making your Windows Phone "yours" and I can't make it make the email sounds I want? Really? What a COLOSSALLY stupid decision that was. The year 2000 called and is laughing at you, Microsoft.

CheukMe2u says:

Might I add... In regards to #4, I would love to swipe up/down to close apps and I would also love for this feature to be carried over for deleting photos. Anyone agree? o.O

Also, rotation lock please. haha

Sean Davison says:

How about doble tapping the back button to close out of an app..?

jwinch2 says:

Good list overall.  However, I cannot believe that the desktop app for syncing media did not make this list.   That thing is an Eff-ing disaster.  Every single time I have tried to use it, it crashes right as I am about to be done with the sync.  And lately, it loads 4-5 versions of the same file on my phone.  Then, when I go to delete them, it claims it cannot delete them because the file does not exist even though I can see it on my phone.  So, I go into the windows directory and delte the files manually, and they STILL show up on the app.
The desktop app sucks out loud, and with conviction.

rcwpuser says:

#1 - Notification Center:
I'd be okay with it as long as I NEVER HAVE TO USE IT. Ugh. Such an Android/IOS thing.. GROSS!

Microsoft: Don't ruin your beautiful OS with a cluttered up notification center and duplicate information! Give some development api leeway to Third Party Apps to satisfy the Android/IOS "lovers" or make it to where I can disable it...

jamon723 says:

I echo most of the comments here. It's really sad that when it comes down to it, we've traded apps (of which we STILL can't get the ones all our friends use) for the basic functions my Windows Mobile 5.0 device had 8yrs ago. I've been through every incarnation and at least a dozen Windows devices (which I can remember) since and currently use a Lumia 920. My latest gripe is tracking my time for phone support for my job. There's a call timer during my call but no way to recall it. Ridiculous. My HTC 8125 did this. I do love the Windows Phone UI, but WHY at the SACRIFICE of BASIC PHONE FUNCTIONS???

a file manager would be nice add up dont you think? its one of the thing i missed on wp8 since i got my L920..among other things. will wait it out patiently. when i checked my phone storage, i see 2 gb of files eating my other section on phone storage. i'd like to see what those files are and remove them if i found them useless.

rabit1 says:

Why just 8?

Here's what we've been suggesting/complaining all the time:

I guess microsoft is not very good at listening. We have been complaining since WP7.0 for separate volume setting. It's pretty sad that WP8 still doesn't have that simple setting. I don't think it's a hard thing to do for microsoft. I hate this "apple" way of thinking by microsoft where apple assume their users are stupid, so make it as simple as possible, "Just one button is enough".

Thanks Daniel, I couldn't agree more with this list. Speaking of better Xbox Video integration, does anyone have any idea why on Windows 8 that Microsoft decided to call the Xbox Video app "Video". I don't know why but that drives me insane.

Sean Davison says:

PC's have a file system, smartphones aren't PC's.
But if it makes you feel better plug your smartphone into your PC and *BAM!*, file system.

Daniel Meek says:

My own personal wish list:
1)  Notifications need to be fixed.  I want a central repository to see the previous notifications, and a way to remove notifications from the top of the screen when they are unwanted.  Perhaps a notification manager as well so taht I can turn off notifications for specific apps.  Win8 needs this too.
2) Music is awesome and sucks all at the same time.  DRM needs to be fixed, and files need to be able to be sorted by disc order instead of only alphabetical order.  Podcast lists need to be able to keep track of where you are at, several that I listen to are stuck on a few numbers and refuse to move on.  When you mark it as listened to it refuses to download the next one.  If you delete it then it will move on for a while, but after a few episodes it will go back to where it is stuck all over again.
-also, xbox music needs to be on win8 as well, and all podcast lists and music library needs to be synced across devices.
3) Options about the way the sceen and buttons react.  Rotation lock is needed.  But we also need a way to turn off the back/win/search buttons when playing games and such.  And lastly, we need to have more OS level panoramic options.  The start screen especially.  I mean, most of the start screens are already squares, how hard could it be to rotate them when you are using sideways applicaitons?
4) Download manager needs to be fixed.  It does a great job at using wifi over cellular, and switching between the two when needed, but some other things are broken.  If there is an error on one DL, it should not stop other things from DLing.  It should simply be paused, and then move on to the next item on the list.
5) I need to be able to search for work contacts from things like the email manager.  I can go through the people hub, select someone from my outlook/exchange, and then send them an email.  But if I am in the email client and try to search for a contact that lives in exchange (or any other contact list other than the native phone list), then it struggles or fails.
6) Word in specific, and office in general, needs a lot of improvement.  Advanced formatting is often not recognized, there is no kind of print layout preview, and older/simpler documents are not able to be edited (which is just dumb).  PDF also needs to be able to be viewed/exported like it is in real Word.  And lastly, as WP8 can supposedly support win8 drivers, it would be really nice to be able to have native print functionality.  Even basic PCL drivers would be a huge help.
Powerpoint equally sucks, and needs a ton of work, but Excel and OneNote both seem fine enough for mobile use, but could also be imporved.
Other than that though I really love my Lumia920.  It is a solid phone, everything works really fast, great cameras and features, and to be honest Android and iOS also have major problems... just different problems.

Boris Gong says:

How about let apps have more control on SD card folders?
As a browser, our app would always include download feature. But there's no way to let user copy their downloaded files to other devices because the system won't open the API for shared folders.
Only way we can do was  "sync to music folder" and every file will be named as *.mp3

How can writing files to shared files has security issues?

adamski777 says:

and MS needs to desperately sort out skype. i moved from a 4s to an 820 and its ridiculous that skype on the 4s was 50 times better than on microsoft's own platform. and i could bloody sign out!!!!

Bushybro says:

We don't need the x to close apps, just swipe down like on surface in card view.

l3yl05a says:

Agreed ALL gestures should be shared between WP8, W8 & WRT

TheRomit says:

It is probably not a Windows Phone thing, but Microsoft _really_ needs to fix their service availability across the entire world. Podcasts not even an option on the device, Xbox Music Pass (or the service) not in other parts of the world, Bing being feature incomplete in the rest of the world, all add up and make the Windows Phone experience seem broken or lacking when compared to iOS and Android. This definitely needs to be sorted out.
Next, is the update situation. Yes, it went off well with AT&T and Rogers and now it is slowly rolling out to others, but these things need to be globally rolled out, and I would hope to see more than 2-3 releases a year. Remember when Android was catching up to iOS? They were iterating almost to the point that drove many folks crazy ... every week there would be a phone which made the previous week's phone irrelevant. Windows Phone needs to realize they have to fix holes quickly. For example, like you said, Xbox Video. Another one that really bothers me at work, is lack of VPN.
One more: how about getting 1st party apps like Nokia Drive, Skype, etc. out of beta? It is absolutely unacceptable that more than a quarter after release of the OS and devices, we still have to wait for Skype to come out of beta.
And this is not a "fix" but a sorely needed "feature" - just like they allowed VoIP providers to integrate with the OS, how about expanding that to Messaging? Why not let WhatsApp threads show up under Messaging?
My $0.02 :-)

dabs1710 says:

There are a lot more important things than Instagram that would benefit this OS.
- Better maps. Bing maps is so far behind Google's offering on Android. No reroute feature. No layers.
- The music player is atrocious, retarded and unintuitive. It sucks.
- No favorites option in Contacts.
- A pet peeve of mine with almost all smartphones is that when you receive a call from a contact for whom you have multiple phone numbers, there is no way of telling which particular number that contact used.
- IE is almost pedestrian compared to browser functionality in other OS.
- The pictures hub needs more functionality. For eg, the basic ability to select multiple photos at a time.
- Copy and Paste doesn't work across all apps.
These are just some of the things

Just gotta add one other thing to the list.  More options for screen dimming.  Also fix the auto dim issue.  I'd trade instagram for that.

schlubadub says:

Instead of calling them "folders" call them "custom hubs" - like the People Hub, Pictures Hub, Music Hub etc. All of those hubs have apps that are specific to that area. I want to create a "Fitness Hub" and just have a list of fitness apps, or a "Translator Hub" for translation apps etc.
Alternatively, add categories or tags to the full app list - then you can have a drop-down, keyword search, or some other selector to filter the apps via the categories/tags.

Daniel, THESE EIGHT!!!

TechAbstract says:

I have never seen so much comments. We need Opera and other browsers.

chucky78 says:

Sorry but you missed a bery big important issue to be fixed as well.  Find my Windows Phone.  Why does that hardly ever work.  Everytime I search I can never find my phone even if it's right in front of me.  Nor do I ever recieve an email telling me it was located like the instructions say it will.  This is also a major issue to be fixed IMO.

MS is concentrating on the next product that keeps them going, the new xbox now that windows 8 is out. No one wants to hear it but WP as of right now is lower on the food chain. thats why this list is long and could be longer. its simple, as far as instagram goes it could have been released when WP8 came out, but MS chose not to write a check for millions like they did to amazon for their apps.

arbnor3301 says:

Instagram is coming next week or this month to windows phone

To all the people complaining about the music apps...
I would suggest you to use a small mp3-player in USB-Stick format..I have great older Samsung one...but Sony has also pretty nice ones. It needs less more energy then the LUMIA or whatever other smartphone, so you have more battery life left for games, messaging etc...AND mp3-players are DEDICATED to play mp3s so easy to use etc....
Listening to mp3 on smartphones should just happen in emergency....it is just wasting battery...

OniKawazu says:

I want to save apps and games to SD card. Fed up with tiny memory and having to delete some apps if I want others =[

DeacoN_Jo says:

Really hope Microsoft + Nokia too adresses All these Issues , and surpeise us all with a Huge Impact on the upcominhg MWC

pjs37 says:

Great article I agree with all of it.  Why we don't have universal search or the X to close tiles thing is beyond me those are such simple thing and MS should do it.  The only thing I can think with the universal search is possibly patent issues with some other company.

alphaxi3 says:

Face it the head of design for WP8 is and idiot.  90% of what is missing from WP8 is a just do it kind of thing.  They are not difficult to implement and would not take a lot of time to do.  It all points to there's an idiot at the switch.

sarim_xyz says:

I don't want Folders in Windows Phone 8. It's easy and simple without it. One Start screen and swipe to get 'all' your apps. What can be simpler than that? I don't want my Windows Phone to look like some Android or iOS. It's unique and different from others, that's why I bought it!
I also don't want notification center. Yeah, I definitely would like to have more apps display notification on the lock screen, which is currently fixed to 5.

kurtd says:

I pretty much disagree with this article.
THESE ARE THE TWO things they NEED to fix right away and I'm surprised you missed it.
1) PDF files - There is no way to delete or share them from the pdf app
2) Business users who get a .WAV file from their cisco, shoretel, vonage, comcast systems etc. can not play the file on windows phone 8 and it worked on wp7.
Those two issues make it difficult to purchase mass quantities for business use. They need to be fixed ASAP.

As far as the issues u want fixed:
1) I had a notification center on android and it was junk.  WP8 live tiles are way better, I don't see the need for an additional notification center.  Toast notifications on WP8 are also much better than what I had on android.
2) Universal search?  I don't like universal search and i never used it on android or palm pre.  On WP8 if I want to search online I just press the search button.  If I want to search for an app or contact, I know where to go.  universal search would find too many results and send all my queries to msft or google.
3) never used instagram i can see why some ppl might want it though.
4) I think they should allow swiping up or down on the app switch screen to close the app instead of an X but it would be quicker than back button
5) games seem fine to me
6) would be nice but doesn't seem necessary
7) and 8) would be nice features to get fixed.

Sun_Wukong says:

for your point '#5 Better Xbox Gaming', Microsoft have just sort of addressed it with this new game.
Skulls of the Shogun can be played on Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Xbox 360 Arcade, and u can sync ur game progress on all devices.

Please, microsoft... please!

dennisvjames says:

I WANT TO USE A BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD WITH MY WINDOWS PHONE!!!! Every phone previous to this generation was able to work with a BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD!!! I'm not saying that I plan to use my phone all the time to answer my email but there ARE TIMES THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE WITH YOU. I have several BLUETOOTH KEYBOARDS that are about the size of a deck of cards.

phewBAR says:

Ever since I installed portico last week I've had nothing but random reboots. I seem to have solved it by forcing the phone to only use 2G. But these random reboots users are experiencing should be number one!

Joshoon says:

Im actually glad that there is no notification center anymore.
Nothing to keep clean anymore :)

If all those features came to WP8....I WOULD CRY OF HAPPINESS!
But i also hope they integrate facebook and make the app A LOT BETTER!
And maybe and HDR mode.....Sry for my Bad english and if i wrote something that makes no sense ;P

This story at mynokiablog.com regarding Instagram having a native app on BB10 says everything that is wrong with WP7 and Microsoft.
Frankly, I've had enough of Microsoft's inept ability to be competitive in the moblie space.  My Omnia 7 that I've had for over two years will now be upgraded to a GS4 in April or May of this year.  My plan was to upgrade it to WP8 and still keep my GS3, but no more as I now plan to give the GS3 to my partner once I get the GS4.  That's it, no more WP in my life which is a shame 'cause I really like WP.
F**k U, M$.

Phil73 says:

Is a forward button in IE so f#@king difficult?!? I curse WP8 @ few times a day because of this issue. If some one knows of any third party browser that has it PLEASE let me know.

lemonsteveo says:

Try UCBrowser, I think they implemented a forward button, It's still using the browser control based on IE10 but with added features.

Arostino says:

What about all Bing features and not only in the US (and maybe some other countries?)
What about a calendar which allows a week view?
A calendar which syncs more than 30 days in the past?
A calendar search?

There's also the whole wifi disconnection thing? When I was on 7.5 I read that it was being addressed, but  I'm unclear if that happened with Windows 8 or not. My issue is mostly with email and whatsapp. Sometimes it feels that when you touch your phone it reconnects to the internet and syncs everything... And like some of the comments said, you'd check your whatsapp, read the sent the messages and then get the notificaitons.
I agree also with all the other points. I totally agree with something as lame as instagram, but I have heard people say that the lack instagram makes people reluctant to buy the phone. Non-techies do not care much about the OS or how great or fluid it is. They just want a couple of apps that everyone is talking about and MS has to do something so that when a co. releases the next Draw Something, the app won't be available on Windows when everyone doesn't care about the app anymore.

twmurph says:

The only feature you have listed here that I have ever wished for is the separate volumes.  The rest I can take or leave so I would not say this is a list that MS must fix now.  I would call this a list of nice to haves.

Vaidaskz says:

Several start screens (different tiles collections for work and home). For example for home start screen I want to have pinned some books, videos, Web sites. For work strat screen some email boxes, documents, etc.

Amen to #4! Even better would be if you could "swipe up" (a la Palm's webOS) to close an app. You kind of do that with Windows 8 - again, why can't we do that with WP8?!? Shared core my arse...

Techiedude

graigsmith says:

notification center, not such a big deal... they added that notification center to ios, and i almost never use it, unless if i want to see that weather ticker...   all the icons already have a number next to them and i still use that mostly.  i just go check it.

rys_ndy says:

What annoys me most about windows phone is the fact that text messages pop up when u get one. If somebody is using my phone they can easily read the message. Why is it so hard to stop that from happening??? Microsoft needs to fix that!

lemonsteveo says:

I'd take a guess that the migration work took up all their time and caused bugs which needs further time and resources to fix.
Hopefully they have this behind them and can then concentrate on adding new features.

goyde says:

I just want them to fix Xbox Music personaly. The other suggestions seem more like, "please make WP8 more like android/iOS phones" I don't miss any of the items above. My ONLY complaint is I miss ZUNE ! Things were SO SO SO much easier with Zune (yes I was a lumia 900 owner) and I miss the ease. Heck Zune even could present me with suggestions I actually considered. Xbox music puts Rap and R&B as my suggestions and there are ZERO of them in my song collection, so why would it be a suggestion ? And making a playlist in xbox music.......OMFG PITA. In zune it was simple. Love my Lumia 920 and WP8, but MAN MS, GET your music app right !

auslaender says:

I am missing the TAB key, e.g. for filling in forms in IE....

ok, so you want what has been implemented to ... for instance blackberry, a few years ago ...
buy a Z10 then !

jlzimmerman says:

I wonder how many people complaining here have actually gone to the Microsoft Suggestion Site and made their voice be heard (read).

l3yl05a says:

MS should be proactively reading this site imho.

TeddyPain84 says:

They need to add a toggle to enable disable auto rotate. A real pain in the rear reading on Windows phone while laying down

l3yl05a says:

What was so hard with just renaming Zune, Xbox Music?? Job done.

Gabriella. true that Marvin`s st0rry is cool, I just purchased a great Fiat Panda from making $4484 this-last/five weeks and in excess of $10k last-month. with-out any doubt it's the most-comfortable job I have ever done. I started this 9-months ago and practically straight away began to bring in minimum $86 per hour. I use this here great link,, http://www.wow83.com

kinchy1984 says:

Notifications for me is the main one!! Recently came over from iOS where I was so bored of the layout, love my lumia 920, just wish my notifications came through on a more regular basis.
Live tiles are useless my weather app still doesn't update accu weather/ weather flow anybody got a fix?
would also like to to receive a notification for inbox Facebook messages. All this stuff should be so simple for Microsoft?

JammyGitz says:

I would like to see easier playing of music. When I'm driving a long I don't want to have to unlock my phone, press music, then press music again, then pick and artist, then an album and possibly then a song. With the iPhone you just press the home button and couple of times and hit play.

sdunnin#WN says:

One of the things on my list might be solved with a notification center which is the simple act of seeing what the current date is. It's on the lock screen but once phone is on unless you have a calendar tile good luck finding the date.
Another thing is that from within the app store it would be nice to see a list of what you already have installed, as well as, be able to launch. Android has had that ability for along time.

VPN is #1, because the biggest opportunity is as a Blackberry alternative.

datoneperson says:

Please don't put in folders and it should be drag down to close an application.

jasongw says:

I agree with everything except folders. Windows Phone does not need folders at all. What WOULD be nice is the ability to put a bit of separation between groups of tiles, as in Windows 8's Start Screen. That's really all it needs, though. The Start Screen is fantastic just the way it is.
As for notifications, I'd simply like a single, simple notification tile that shows more or less data depending on tile size, and opens into a list of notifications once it's activated. That's it--simple.

gnirkatto says:

They also HAVE TO improve on the currently abysmal calendar. No week view. A month view that is an insult. This is my number 2, that keeps me away from moving over to WP8, right after the missing notification center.

bdoust says:

Really needs to fix podcasts... Being in the UK and not being able to subscribe to podcasts and download them without using itunes is a pain. Was great in 7.5 but this is just dire

Pennquinn says:

Whomever at MSFT decided to end-of-life Zune should be fired. Really big mistake. Why didn't they simply make Zune an app across all 3 screens? Then to top it off with no Spotify (yet) for WP8 and you've got a really 2nd class music experience. Major bummer.
On the other hand... the "Office" app team all deserve a bonus, well played.
Also... Video in general is a mess. No native output/access to .mp4 files (I think) really hurts. You've got cool apps like Nokia Cinemagraph, Vimeo and others that can't integrate properly with the OS. I can't record a video on my Lumia 920 and upload it later using the Vimeo app? Huh?
Overall I LOVE my Lumia 920 and tolerate the operating system, hoping it will get better.

Chef316 says:

They should add orientation lock!!!

VipulGupta says:

I have been reading about WP8 and its reviews since a very long time on a lot of websites. A lot has been criticized and appreciated and a lot of suggestions have been given. Based on all this I purchased the flagship WP8 device – Lumia 920, after waiting for around 2 years to change my phone and investing some $700. And now I am stuck with a virtually unusable device. All this live tiles, closing by cross, swiping, this that is all secondary but before buying the device, I never read in a review that this OS lacks two most basic and most important functions i.e. to browse your files and organize your files as per your needs in different folders and that you can email by attaching files locally. The OS does not even support to reply to an email and then attach a file. And we are talking of a company who wants to target enterprise customers and professionals. I never in my dreams would have expected that a company like MS, with all its history of providing flexibility, can design a product lacking these basic and most useful functions for daily purposes. And that too after working on a product for more than four years, and almost on the verge of getting totally wiped out of a market which was you own turf. Android has this since last four years, is it too hard? At first I felt it cannot be true. But after trying to figure it out for some time and realizing that it is indeed not there I can only say that it is a big joke. I feel totally baffled, disgusted and cheated. They are trying very hard to shoot themselves in their foot. I am almost convinced now. And the amazing thing is that this is not being highlighted in reviews and various other coloums on WP8. Pls do this or else people like me would never be able to use this product which lacks the basic functionalities no matter how many more tit bits and glossy additions of seconday importance are added to it. MS is really testing the patience of people like me, who have been faithful and rooting for its products till now. Thanks.

m0xEE says:

No, not folders. It's the most ugly thing to implement in the phone UI.
Is iOS they did it because the problem popped up suddendly and they didn't even try to solve it in an elegant way, Android's UI is all crappy, I don't even want to go into the details.
Windows Phone had stuff like hubs from the beggining, it does pretty much the same stuff that folders would do — categorisation, but don't turn home screen into a garbage hole like Programs folder under Start button in formed Windows versions and Springboard in iOS. Folders are one of the ugly things that actually made me switch to WP from iOS.

I had a Droid Razr, and loved it.  I now have the HTC 8x employee edition and love it even more.

My major complaint is unique to the Music player.

When I had my Droid Razr, I had a Winamp Pro app.  One thing I loved about this app is if I had a song come on and I didn't want it on my phone, I could just hit menu, delete from phone.  There is no way that I have found (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) to completely remove a song from your phone from your now playing screen.  I like to add collections of music, then when I am listening to them at work, I can delete the songs from the collections that I am not a huge fan of.  This system makes it a bit more difficult.

Other than that, sliding down to close apps would be nice.  I do love the tiles and actually really like NOT having a notifications grouping.  Half of my notifications I could care less about and don't want to see all of them bunched up in a mess.  I think it makes it easier to navigate and prioritize when they are attached to specific apps.

I am not a power user when it comes to phones.  I use my phone for texting, Facebook, phone calls, and as an mp3 player.  I have some games I play too, but nothing major.  I use my computer for most gaming.  the HTC 8x is an awesome phone though and, other than a few small but obvious issues which Microsoft should have addressed already, the OS is pretty fantastic.

sd4f says:

Is there any way that microsoft will hear any of these complaints and maybe do something about them?
I'm new to windows phone, bought a lumia 920 at the start of the year, and am much happier with it than my previous android phone, but there are some big software deficiencies with WP8, which if resolved, would be a major boon for the platform.
One thing android did well was behave like a computer, now i'm not calling for a completely open platform, because in som ways, a closed garden has its advantages in a phone, but it's very annoying that WP8 won't let you download things from the internet or the email program is severely limited in what can be attached.
I just hope that MS is as enthusiastic as I am for the platform to be great and pay attention to what the users are screaming out for.

Mada Doux says:

simply provide more themes and lanchers to OS this will take Wp8 from 3rd to 1St i think
we know that wp8 dont support roms so make alanchers atlast

I am with my second windows phone now. it's sorta great with some shortcomings and bugs, but I like my lumia 920, but if my phone for some reason breakes or getting lost before those changes you listed are made to windows phone, I am going back to Android. Too many missing things on windows phone and also it looks like microsoft doesn't give a damn about what users need. I am tired of waiting for simple thing. Life is too short to support those who don't deserve it by becoming better.

Black Heart2 says:

Realy , that are what we want exactlly

gabrielrdz says:

I wrote this post about the things I think should be fixed and implemented in the next version of Windows Phone: http://gabrielrodriguez.net/what-microsoft-needs-to-fix-in-windows-phone-8/

camstreet1 says:

Bluetooth 4.0 is the #1 missing feature in my view.

noirsoft says:

I just had a thought: Rather than "x" to close, why not follow Windows 8 and drag down to the bottom of the screen to close? X to close has the problems of either the X being to small to hit reliably (I have to use an iPad Mini at work and run into this all the time) or so large that it might get hit accidentally. A gesture to close seems more robust.

Did anybody observed this issue on Nokia Lumia 520 :
Phone volume is not in your control when you are playing the songs from Nokia music store OR playing songs from Youtube ? Why Why ? Don't think it should control all ?
Tips : Please spread this message till it reaches to the developer and let the patch comes for this, so that phone should be able to control the volume whatever you play on the phone.

My win phone wont let me play the songs from an album in the right order!...and I want see them in their folders...  If i have an album of songs with filenames like "01 title", "02 title" etc.. i want to be able to play them in that order.. or atleast see the god damn filename so that i can make a playlist (wich i really shouldnt have to do since they are sorted already)... Noone wants music to only be sorted by id3 tag!! Most of us don't know how to edit tha, and dont want to do that at all.. justy listen to the songs like a mormal mp3 player.. or like on a computer.. but i guess microsoft is moving away from those.. and thast im moving to linux or some shit  ...Microsoft = dumbest company in the world???

You spoken everything, i mean... you wrote everything

Instagram is the MOST OVERRATED app.
This app is NOT neccesary on WP, there are others better.

Yousri Ahmed says:

I have another suggestion (in my opinion it's very important):
Microsoft should allow installing apps on external storages such as Micro SD so people with small-internal-storage windows phones (such as Nokia Lumia 820, 720) can install many apps as much as they can (Android Can do that)
I hope Microsoft would do this :D :D ( I think this will give Windows Phones a strong push)

Bigbadboogie says:

easier way of going ‘silent’

Missed this one?
1. Press volume rocker
2. Press the ring/vibrate icon to toggle between silent and ring

Hows that for easy ;)W

NEEDED THOUGH
Needed is a USB or bluetooth synch software so I do not have to use Exchange or hotmail to synch my work calendar (hotmail connector is just useful ONE time, when you copy the entire calendar)
It is really silly that WP8 is the only OS where you can NOT synch with cable nor can you make a "real phone image" - just an OTA backup that is half baked??

Just do IT!

Rashed Elbaw says:

Impossible, Microsoft do that , there are many things should been fixed since windows phone 7, there is some hope, there are amber update and GDR 2 update I wish Microsoft fix all that .

DeeW says:

Thank you. Got my Lumia 1020 a week ago. Really need at least five of these items fixed.
There are tons of photos on my camera that I cannot see when I view photos in the camera roll. When plugged into PC I can see. How can you see them on phone?

rollob says:

There are so many things that this OS needs upgrading on, but the most egregious perhaps is an option, or an app, to change the function of the Bing button to something more useful. I use the Search button maybe once a week. It could be sooo much more useful doing any number of different things.

rollob says:

[Edit: I am referring above to WP7.8, but it probaly applies to WP8 as well]

What about the ability to move apps to SD ??? And installing apps via IE

What I would find most useful is :
1) Speed Dial ( Or Favourites)
2) Sleep mode ( to accpet calls only from specified numbers - as and when set)
3) Good task manager / reminder
4) Display call duration
I also find that even on a flagship model like Lumia 925 the GPS location detection is not very good and the when found the arrow points in different direction from the road.

Shridhar Gokhale

nuhrzn says:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. WP8 doesn't need more features; it needs to work better first with the features it already provides (or makes a weak attempt at providing). Try more flexibility/flow with NFC so it can be used the way you know it should work. Try making a working YouTube app (for the third time). Try making e-mails download faster than five minutes. Try figuring out what makes you so unappealing to game-changing app developers like those of Spotify and Facebook, which are both appallingly terrible even compared to on other platforms. Try making a version of this OS that's worth enough of a crap to be more compatible with apps from older versions. Try being compatible with extremely popular music formats like Apple's - being asshats about brand loyalty will only keep me far away from the Xbox store, which is about as poor as Spotify's current app. Hell, even try making necessary app interruptions to my music simply lower the volume on my music instead of silencing it. Anything but this bloated list of features lifted from other platforms. This OS needs polishing, not a bunch of frankenfeatures no one gives a crap about because they're too busy worrying about how many apps other platforms have; screw them.

Crixxix says:

How about the ability to listen to voice messages from Xbox Live? It's a phone! Better yet, how about the ability to respond to voice messages as well. It would make for an extremely streamlined gaming experience. The fact that you can access your gaming messages on the go? Respond with voice, no matter what devices your on? I think that's a gamer's dream that is very likely to happen in the near future.

Varjohaltia says:

#6, maybe. #7 definitely. Otherwise I haven't run into these as priorities. The wacky way applications reset upon resuming is one of the major annoyances I presently have.

bettingapp says:

whilst windows is a great operating system, it really annoys me with the lack of proper apps liek you cna get for android, for example - http://www.pokerappsandroid.com/android-poker-apps/

why do they get all the apps?

*Note: I have a Nokia Lumia 720. I love WP, but it can be better. Although my first 'wish' is that WP8 phones should be able to update to WP8.1 (I hope that its true), this list is what I believe that MS can do to improve WP. Not in a particular order though.

1. Central Notification centre. Be it either a drop down or a swipe method. Add quick settings and profile modes in that too.
  2. A native proper file manager.(what exactly is in the 'other' section anyway). If possible integrate that with OneDrive (formerly Skydrive).
  3. A proper application manager which lets you manage ALL your installed apps. Even choosing alternative apps for launching websites certain file types. Stop with the stupidly tight integration MIscrosoft, your services amy be good but allow us to choose what we want.
  4. Better IE. No more restrictive 6 tabs limitaion and better synching with the PC version, back and forward buttons, open in background tab and most importantly, private browsing mode (I don't care what anyone thinks, I want my privacy). And Universal search too.
  5. Installing Apps offline too.(Doesn't make sense that you need internet connection to install free apps, make it necessary for paid apps obviously), and allow apps to be installed on SD Card. remove isolated storage.
  6. True Multitasking. Please not again one those 'resuming' again. And no back button spamming bullshit either. I would love a multitasking window similar to MeeGo.
  7. Indepedent Volume controls and Profile modes. It is a mobile phone.
  8. Better Office and OneNote, or competent alternatives.
  9. Better native email.
  10. Better apps and games obviously.
  11. Better integraion with Xbox, be it music, games, apps. Doesn't make sense to buy a WP then, right?

Hahah most of these are already on WP8 :D

Emreskopi says:

• WP also must disable network internet data when WiFi is connected. It uses both and if you forget manually disabling, you may ran out of your GSM internet silently. Hope Data Sense notifies you before it's too late. I've lost 500 MB data in a single hour because of Tumlblr app, when I was perfectly connected to my own home wireless.
  • One touch speed dial from home screen is also a necessity.
  • Lack of Android swype like typing style is the worst issue in my WP experience.
  • Sending apps from web store not working or working hours late.

Vlad Ciprian says:

videocall network plzz

Troy Barber says:

They need to do like a windows xp remix or xp2 or something of that nature Windows XP was ten timesmore user freindly than windows 8 they need to go back to the basics you will always need a home computer in my opinion. They need to Educate people better and stop dumbing down the Operating Sytems. Make Windows that optimizes the use of solid state drives and current processors and, make it connect better with current devices ie phones tablets etc.

Pages