HTC pushes out second firmware update for T-Mobile 8X, focuses on Skype

HTC and T-Mobile US have begun pushing out an over-the-air firmware update for the 8X on the carrier starting yesterday. The update is minor and very specific: “Features audio experience improvements for the Skype application” and bumps the firmware from 1532.20.20004.531 to 1532.20.20008.531.

There’s no word on specifically how this improves Skype or why perhaps others phones won’t be getting this update, which leads us to believe that there was some optimization needed in the previous Portico update that was not present.

Despite its specificity though, it’s still pleasant to see Microsoft, HTC and T-Mobile push out firmware updates seemingly with ease, making sure customers are getting the best possible experience from their Windows Phone.

Source: T-Mobile;  via WMPU

Comments

jlangner says:

Now if they would just push out an update for the network drop issue for 8x....refuse to keep phone in 2G mode all the time to ensure I am getting calls

Tmobile? Hmm, I also had dropped calls but blame it on Tmobile. Never thought about the phone

jlangner says:

I don't think it is t-mobile. AT&T is having same problem and there is a post in 920 forums that it has as well.

Thx for the heads up

I've never had a call dropped on AT&T.

I returned my HTC 8X yesterday to TMO.  I've had it since launch but I didn't have to fight too hard for a refund.  Enough is enough.  I went back to my Lumia 710 on WP7.  I'll try WP8 again when TMO has a better flagship.

Tiwo says:

Gief Lumia 620 review T_T

dereklakin says:

This specifically fixes the audio call problem experienced in Skype as described here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-Phone/HTC-8X-Skype-App-Issue/td-p/1301056 The previous workaround of using speakerphone will no longer be necessary for HTC 8X users with this update.

Is this really the issue being addressed? Im having this problem with Skype too, but I'm with Rogers in Canada and didn't get an update!

jgbstetson says:

Go T-mobile! Now get a flagship Nokia.

dbam987 says:

Can I has portico on Verizon HTC 8X?

WP7WasMyIdea says:

Sweet Lord. +1000

Judge_Daniel says:

I'm hoping they are taking their time fixing all of the bugs on the Verizon 8x. I'd much rather have one fix-all than a bunch of little updates that each leave something broken.

scottcraft says:

The 822 really needs it too. Please hurry Verizon/Microsoft!

adrian1338 says:

Dont want to hear the word "fragmentation prolem - android  and windows phone is better"in one sentence again :O

Tiwo says:

Care to elaborate on that?

bramstone123 says:

Yeah great, i am STILL waiting for my portico update on my unbranded 920 (mad)

druger81 says:

You mad bro!?

Iskassasya says:

Yeah, we're still waiting for our first Portico update on unbranded Lumias. You guys are so far ahead

Still don't even have the portico update for 8x on bell network, I called bell today and they said that there are no foreseen updates in the future. What a joke of a provider!

KLinCHI says:

Hurry up give us the 7.8 update, T-Mobile!

SaucePolicy says:

And Verizon still hasn't gotten the first update let alone Portico. I'll be switching carriers as soon as my contract is up. Verizon fail.

RyanAMG says:

I moved to Verizon from Sprint for WP8 and what a massive mistake that was. After I moved my company account and all our lines we soon found out why its so hard to get ahold of clients on Verizon. Full LTE coverage and we get voicemail notifications and no missed call.

WP7WasMyIdea says:

Definitely frustrated with Verizon as well.. I still can't see switching. Other than the update I have no complaints.

Brandon619 says:

Still haven't received this OTA update from T-mobile on my 8x yet.. But if there barely just pushing it out I'll get it eventually :) great to see T-mobile push wp8 updates with HTC with breeze.

deloa84 says:

Just got it like an hour ago here in the US. Have you tried going into settings, check for updates? It took around 10 minutes to fully install the update.

Giuseppe79 says:

Skype does not work in Europe on htc 8x unless using loudspeaker or headset. Maybe they finally fixed it?

Ultimateone says:

Can someone from WPcentral contact a verizon rep on any sort of update coming to 8X users?

Camaroon says:

I have an 8X on Verizon and my wife has the iPhone 5.  Trying to use Skype is horrible.  I don't know who's phone it is, we haven't really fooled around with it too much, but the sound is completely unusable.  Neither one of us can hear the other one, there's electronic feedback and cracking with the sound, the video is extremely choppy and freezes.  Just an overall terrible experience.  And we were both excited to get phones with front facing cameras so we could video chat!

WhippedKream says:

I didn't really try this on my 8X yet but I know when skyping around the same area (I.e. Same room) Skype effs up hard. So if that's what you tried doing, try it when ur on break at work or something. See what's up? If not then completely ignore me hahahahah

Camaroon says:

We've actually only ever tried Skyping when we're away from each other.  Like I'm at work and she's home.  Or a couple of weekends ago she was out of town on the other side of the country so we tried to Skype so our son could see her.  Still didn't work.  Skype only has a 2 star rating on the iPhone but no one in the comments seems to talk about this as a problem.  It's always people just bitching about Msoft or a feature they want.  We just have to do a little more testing i.e. I'm on my computer, she's on her phone.  Or I'm on my phone and she's on a computer.  The other option, which is really highly rated for iPhone, would be to use Tango, but they haven't decided to support WP8 yet.

liferef says:

I can't seem to manually push this update.  Anyone else unable to do this?

deloa84 says:

Just did it an hour ago....

jsantana0793 says:

Nope... No update yesterday or today... WP central may have reported on this premature.

liferef says:

still waitng =(

jsantana0793 says:

No update and its the 7th of Feb.

nbumbic says: