Windows Phone vs BlackBerry

UK Windows Phone users may go above BlackBerry's

Cortana in the UK

Cortana in the UK may get less robotic sounding

New contract?

Three UK introducing pre-credit check for new customers

Unlocked phones for all!

Three UK confirms it doesn't sell locked phones

Cortana

Cortana heads to the UK, China, India, Australia and Canada!

Lumia 1320 goes Cyan

Windows Phones

Free hardware bundle hard to come by for Lumia 930 (UK)

O2 releases beautiful official app for UK customers to manage their accounts

Get online while abroad for just £2 a day with O2 Travel

Cortana hitting the UK in 'less than two weeks' with China soon thereafter

O2 UK shares details on the Windows Phone 8.1 update, teases visual voicemail

Looking for a bargain? Grab the Lumia 930 on EE for just £350

Three UK to provide free Wi-Fi on London Underground

Lumia 930 now available in the UK, white color variant exclusive to Phones 4u

Three UK makes 0800 numbers free on new SIM-only plans

UK government set to rush through emergency surveillance legislation

Official BBC iPlayer Radio app now finally available for Windows Phone

Windows Phones

Microsoft: No Cortana for UK Windows Phone 8.1 users in July

First Direct launches official mobile banking app for Windows Phone

UK government to make mobile operators share towers to boost signal in rural areas

< >
Three Lumia 800

Enjoy the speed boost. Three UK set to add LTE to plans for free

Three UK has announced in a press release that its LTE upgrade, which is set to arrive later this year, will be added to existing and future plans with no upgrade fee. This means that consumers on supported plans will be able to take full advantage of improved network performance without forking out extra pennies (should you have a capable smartphone, of course).

Currently 4G is restricted in the UK to EE, but other mobile operators in the country are preparing to launch respective upgrades early 2013 once the doors have been opened up. The exclusivity to a single company has led to astonishingly priced plans being published for those who wish to hop onto the LTE train early.

What's more is Three states that all plans will be supported. All you'll need is a 4G Windows Phone and you're good to go. The mobile operator currently supports DC-HSDPA technology on its network and covers 55 percent of the UK. The company plans to reach 80 percent of the population by the end of March 2013, as well as incorporating 1800Mhz in the second half of the year.

So what happens when LTE arrives on Three? Will you need a new SIM, phone, plan? Not at all, only if you haven't got a 4G capable handset. The Lumia 920, Lumia 820 and HTC 8X are all available from Three - be sure to double check that it will be able to use the upcoming 4G upgrade when purchasing. No new SIM is required and your plan should sport the improvements once LTE has launched.

Three UK chief executive, Dave Dyson, had the following to comment on the improvements:

"Our customers choose Three because they love the internet and know they can get great speeds and great value on our award-winning network. As we add the next wave of technology to our Ultrafast network, we’ve listened to our customers and thought long and hard about the right way to do it. We don’t want to limit Ultrafast services to a select few based on a premium price and we’ve decided our customers will get this service as standard. With Three, it’s simple, great value and Ultrafast. What you might expect from the network that was built for the internet."

Perfect. Three is already preparing for the arrival of LTE, which will launch later this year. Good news all around. Thanks, Racxie, for the tip!

Comments

Mroofie says:

Ahh man boring were new update news :'(

adrian1338 says:

Just hope EE plans will be affected by this:)

Iskassasya says:

Yeah, EE want me to start a new contract with them to get 4G only offering 6GB a month. I already use 4G a month and don't use Netflix on 3G will use it on 4G so come on EE, wake up and give us realistic prices.

Racxie says:

Thanks guys, I'll be sure not to bother tipping you guys ever again seen as it never seems to be appreciated. E-mailed you this morning about this just before 8 and them you post this nearly 6 hours later, so don't tell me you didn't see it.

I'll still be a loyal reader but just let it be known I am not a happy customer.

Rich Edmonds says:

Racxie, I can only apologise that this has occurred. Was your tip sent in from our Windows Phone app by any chance? I've checked our mailbox and cannot see any tip from you this morning.

Racxie says:

Hi Rich, I did send it via the app using my hotmail account. I did check my sent inbox as well and it definitely went through. Unless the app may have caused some kind of bug?

Rich Edmonds says:

Again, I can only apologise. It definitely did go through (Dan confirmed it), but I don't receive the emails that are sent through the app yet (they arrive through a separate system to messages sent through the website itself) - I'll make sure everything's in place so this doesn't occurr again. Now that I've viewed the tip, as a gesture of goodwill you're added to the article :-)

Racxie says:

Thanks Rich, I really appreciate that someone listens! Dan probably didn't say anything as l don't think he likes me just because last time I tipped on the Ubuntu OS suggesting it as a "potential rival" haha.

WPenvy says:

lol "customer"?....
what exactly did you purchase from WPCentral?

Racxie says:

Yes, "customer". I bought their app. Or if you want to look at it another way, I paid a small premium for the service they provide. Does that answer your question troll?

DreadVenom says:

Ahh man. I am an early adopter to EE. Was on 3 and loved the unlimited data though their customer service was bad. I hope EE follows suit otherwise i stuck for 2yrs with this 1gb limit.

RN50 says:

Haven't got 4g in my area so not really.bothered for now.

busngabb says:

3 really are awesome. Best network in the UK by an enormous distance.

AneticsUK says:

Until you need support!

norville2 says:

Don't agree with that. When i had signal problems at home they called me everyday until it was resolved. I moved to Orange chasing a Nokia 900...what a bad mistake, i have had signal problems or over 6 months and they have done nothing about it. I am going back to 3.

dlusted says:

Until you need support.... And signal indoors in certain places....

Bro has 3, and he can never get any decent signal in my house unless he stands outside.... But yet I get full 4G signal... Go figure!

Everyone disses EE, but I have yet to have issues, and nor has my wife that has been with Orange for many man years....

Sparkyscrum says:

Where I live in North London, Three signal is better than O2 who can't provide a connection more than three minutes or Vidafone who don't have a 2/3G signal. Can't even received text in Voda.

so rather than just being abusive which helps no one, just state that where you are it's crap. Nit hard is it.

Rich Edmonds says:

Your experiences are your own. I've had an account with Three for years and have never experienced any issue.

cgk says:

This strikes me as "too good to be true" - sure I'm happy that 3 wants to provide me with unlimited data for £10 per month on a 4G network but....

Is the out here that they mean *existing* customers?

Now if only AT&T would give me free LTE...

Sparkyscrum says:

To be honest with DC-HSPDA, LTE is a welcome bonus especially if for free! Two fast connection technologies should mean I experience improved speed most if the time.

AneticsUK says:

The only good thing that qill come out of this is that it will force other carriers Ahem...EE to come up with more realistic prices, i for one would never consider going to three (google three reviews) and you'll understand why, ive also had first hand experience of their customer support and its appauling, their staff will literally say and promise ANYTHING to get you off the phone, three might appear to be a good network, but when you need their support, youll suddenly realise how foolish youve been!

afgzee says:

i've been with Three for 9 years and never had a bad service with them, always great customer service andby far the best network. Which other network gives you so much for a small price? NONE!

norville2 says:

The biggest mistake i made was to leave 3 and go to Orange. 3 i am coming back.

I hope 3 Ireland follows suit and won't be dragging its heels.