Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia Cyan update said to improve low-light performace on Lumia Icon, 1520 and 930

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia updates Network+ again

Nokia buying Medio Systems to improve its HERE maps service

Report: Nokia to bring blockbuster 41MP EOS Windows Phone to the US this summer

The Guardian, no slouch when it comes to news reporting, is citing sources close to Nokia that indeed, the company is getting ready to reveal a 41MP Windows Phone dubbed ‘EOS’. Destined for the US, the high end phone is expected to go on sale in the summer (presumably around May).

Originally reported by the Verge, this is the second confirmation of such an inbound device on the cusp of release.

News of such a phone is expected to be revealed in a few weeks in Barcelona at the Mobile World Congress, where Nokia has a press conference scheduled...

It was nearly one year ago that Nokia shocked the world with the 41MP 808 PureView camera-phone, a device that actually took photos at 5MP but over-sampled the image giving way to very high quality photos. Combined with an unusually large sensor for mobile, the 808 was able to take some astonishing photos with little image distortion.

Though the 808 was dubbed PureView, Nokia always noted that this was a developing technology and not just a 41MP camera. Later in late 2012, Nokia unveiled an offshoot of PureView with the Nokia Lumia 920. That phone sports an 8.7MP PureView camera that concentrates on low-light photography via optical image stabilization (OIS)—another first for a mobile device.

What’s not clear is if Nokia will somehow combine the 41MP with OIS or if this will be just a refined 41MP sensor with Windows Phone replacing Symbian. Much like the 808, Nokia will probably need to use a secondary processor to help the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC render such massive images.

Possible specs of EOS

Heading back to April 2012, it was reported that Nokia was already hard at work on a 41MP Windows Phone.

The limitation at the time was the OS itself, which was Windows Phone 7. Famously, Windows Phone 7 could not handle such a sensor nor the camera optimizations that Nokia would need to implement to make use of oversampling. It would take the flexibility of Windows Phone 8 to give Nokia the necessary power.

Possible Nokia PureView 41MP? (2012)

An image of a purported PureView Windows Phone was also revealed back in April and it will be very interesting to see if that device is the same as being revealed on February 25th.

That phone is yellow (one of many colors, we imagine), which in hindsight is interesting only because yellow Lumia phones were not announced yet (it would be the Lumia 920, nearly 6 months later, that was the first yellow Nokia).

April 2012 Rumored Specifications of Nokia 41MP Windows Phone:

• 4.3" Curved Glass touchscreen with HD display
  • 41mp sensor, Carl Zeiss lens and PureView imaging technology
  • 1080p full HD video recording and Rich Recording technology
  • Dual Core processor with Adreno 320 GPU
  • Windows Phone Operating System

EOS or Lumia?

Another interesting question is whether or not this will be a Lumia phone. Nokia for a long time has noted that Lumia is but one line of Windows Phones and that they planned on expanding that with additional form factors and technologies.

While Nokia could easily call EOS a Lumia 9xx, we wonder if this will be the first of a new line of Windows Phones for the Finnish company, possibly using the EOS designation or ‘Eos’.

What’s in a name? Eos and its origins.

Surprisingly, we haven’t seen too much about the name ‘Eos’ though a quick lookup reveals that it’s the name of a Greek goddess of the dawn.

Like ‘Lumia’, a term that was coined by 20th Century Artist Thomas Wilfred to refer to art created from light, Nokia appears to be centering on terms that involve the same theme: light. In that sense, EOS (or Eos) fits right in with the Lumia branding.

Regardless, all will be revealed in a few weeks in Barcelona. Windows Phone Central will of course be there live to cover the event, including hands on with whatever Nokia reveals. Stay tuned!

Comments

I knew it would be the super 808wp8

mmoses1978 says:

I love the design, most people are scared of new things but some like me are daring.

Aaron M says:

Wow you are so brave.

Chemilinski says:

I sorry, but that photoshop design is shocking. Like having the flash (which is clearly copy-and-pasted from the 808) there will be unlikely to work, and... I won't go on, I'll lose my sanity trying to point at the holes.
It's far too radicial, it can't possibly be real.

jsnod25 says:

Isn't that just pics of the 808?

uopjo6 says:

new - ugly & new - good looking are 2 different things.

xirsteon says:

I hope the Verizon Lumia 920 (Laser) is gsm unlocked so I can use it on Tmob while ATT is being dickheads.

Verizon phones are not compatible on ATT and T-Mobile networks.... Verizon uses CDMA while the other two are GSM... Something could have changed but its last I remember...

dkp23 says:

I think the original poster is hoping that the lumia's are made like the iphone 5.  If you buy an iphone 5 on verizon, it is unlocked and can be used on att/tmobile because both techs are on the phone.

So he is hoping the same thing is done for verizon phones that both techs are on the phone, but i dont think it will be

hopmedic says:

The Lumia 822 is already tested as working on both StraightTalk and TMO of you look in the forums. It is a world phone, and as such works on GSM nets with a sim. On Verizon it uses the sim for LTE.

Many of Verizon's phones are "International" phones.  They have GSM radios that operate on the same frequencies that T-Mo uses.

PolishHitta says:

Verizon phones ARE compatible with other GSM carriers ask long as your phone supports a SIM card and is SIM unlocked. My Verizon HTC Trophy works with ATT

ny_yankees says:

On the other hand, HTC jus warned that their performance may get worse
Now I am starting to be concerned about the future updates on the 8x. Might have to get one of the Nokia phones in the future

I knew it... that's why I hv waited. Release it already.

WinFan1 says:

That's what I'm talking about.

karelj says:

4.3" screen?? *sigh*. My kingdom for a high end Nokia with a 4.7" or 4.8" screen.

I'm sure they'll do it but with a 41MP sensor at that size the phone is already large (in one dimension)--making it so in another may be just too much (not to mention the weight).

karelj says:

I'll gladly settle for a 920 variant with a larger screen.

zeronoise says:

Is that graphene tech rdy yet????

NIST says:

I would think the phone would need to be larger to accommodate the sensor. Hopefully that translates into a 4.7.
Either way this sounds like the God Phone.

willied says:

I was hoping for a 4 incher...the screen, that is.

Hiiiiiiiii says:

Brilliant, build Lumia brand and then change it to EOS.

Amazing strategy

I think you misread everything I wrote. EOS could either be a second line of new high end camera phones for Nokia OR it is just the 'codename'. I mean, you don't think 'Catwalk' is a real name for them?

Either way, no one is talking about changing Lumia to EOS. That's 100% all on you.

Somehow, I can't see Canon taking kindly to Nokia calling a phone line known for its superior cameras EOS. www.canoneos.com

kayb27 says:

I kept thinking I was the only one to think about Canon since nobody had mentioned this earlier in the comments. They're both using the EOS moniker for camera technology. I actually thought there might be some correlation.

nikon133 says:

I'd bet on code name. EOS is already being used by Canon DSLR cameras, to my knowledge. Even if there are no copyright issues, I don't see a point in associating your product with other company's already well established branding. Unless Nokia is moving from Zeiss to Canon optics/sensors/processing, and that sounds unlikely as well.

jholso says:

Its funny, unless those images have been altered since...Notice the Windows Logo on the device. They look to be the new Windows Logo, which was not announced till way after April. Meaning yes this was always meant to be a WP8 device. And adds some more credability to the leaked images

Yup, we're just talking about that too...weird, right?

jholso says:

Yup very. But Im completly ok with it. Downside, now time to start putting away those pennies to buy it off contract. And this will not even be close to cheap off contract.

pedenske says:

Ya time to start saving, tough for me in Canada its time to start saving nickels lol.

purefire says:

how can it be? i am in canada and there are to many jobs.. if your willing to work hard and be cold ;)..  ill be buying two of these if there as cool as i hope they are lol.

JPDVM2014 says:

I always thought the same thing. I hope they refine this design a little more though. I just can't get into that protrusion at the bottom. Every thing else is nice. The only downside to this rumor is that if it does launch in May, there is no way I will be able to save enough pennies, and my upgrade from my 900 isn't until Nov!

thirdday2002 says:

Love how no one on this thread picked up on Daniel's sarcasm. Lol

Villain says:

good catch

Viipottaja says:

Yup, I noticed that and commented on it in other fora after the wp8 logo was revealed way back when... Alas, I doubt there would be carriers with enough balls to agree to the amazingly bold design of the device... :(

TK2011 says:

This model is probably not replacing the mainstream top end like L920. It's more like a complimentary line targeted toward photographers.

hopmedic says:

I'd probably agree with this. Hopefully there's no issue with Canon and their EOS line.

Dannay says:

just noticed that! good eyes!

pikablu0530 says:

Actually the logo was revealed in February.

pavvento says:

I wonder if they'd announce a summer phone in February.

They did last year

dkp23 says:

Damn, this would be crazy.

TK2011 says:

I would be surprised if it gets revealed this month. Seems a bit too early to announce something that will be launched in summer.

jfivieght says:

I agree, what ever happened to playing off impulse purchases to boost profits.

TK2011 says:

Problem with announcing so early is it depresses L920's sales. I guess it may be offset by some people holding off their Android and iphone upgrades to get this one.

Considering the long time to ramp up 920 production this might not be an issue for the eos phone, 920 will be close to top dog of the Lumia line for a while, whether eos is the start of a new high end line above Lumia I dont know

ralexand56 says:

They did the same with the 900 line last year.

dukrem says:

It's possible that an enthusiast device like this could be launched as an outright purchase intially in select markets, then get introduced with carriers in the US as production volume ramps up and if demand is high. Could just be me hoping for some way of getting it before summer.

Micfur says:

I really hope TMO US picks up this next high end Lumia. It will be right on time for my upgrade .

Aaron M says:

Haha good luck with that.

xconomicron says:

Well T-Mobile's roadmap just leaked...looks like nothing but Samsung Galaxy phones up till March/May.

jfivieght says:

Now this is "innovative," *cough. The phone and camera in one. A Nokia will be my next WP for sure.

CJ Thunder says:

Hopefully it will include ois and come to att.

wpguy says:

I don't think you have to worry about it coming to AT&T. It's everyone who isn't on AT&T who waits to see if they'll finally have a chance to get the top phone.

riffraffy says:

Glad I bought my 920 off-contract. EOS, baby!

LaNiQuE says:

I don't think it should be called lumia give it its own name its a very unique phone... Anything near 5inchs isn't a phone do u people not have tablets by now? Well maybe take a look at that huawei's 6 inch phone smh

wpguy says:

Tablet, schmablet. Surface!

lippidp says:

Rad.  I think Eos is Latin for "comes with a keyboard."  Fuck, why can't we just have one goddam model with a keyboard?  If Samsung can bring back the stylus and make it cool then certainly Nokia could do the same for the keyboard.

The reason is simple: they don't sell. It's the only reason why HTC is not making them anymore.

BlackBerry may be the only niche OS with a keyboard (just announced Q10) and it will be real interesting to see how that sells.

scaramanga89 says:

No-one has released a flagship device with a keyboard, so its chicken and egg. People don't buy any keyboarded phones from the last two years becasue they are all shit. Motorola Pro? Even the arrive was poorly implemented, as with no landscape homescreen on a landscape slider. What??? I would bet heavily that the Q10 sells well and could well spark a new wave of KB models. Jesus, just do one for the business crowd, it's meant to be the Enterprise choice with Office etc.

SMMinke says:

I agree about the "Chicken-and-the-Egg" comment. Market one correctly and it will take off. Every single person I show my Arrive to marvels at the keyboard. Arrives keyboard is still pretty much the best keyboard ever on a phone. I went from Motorola Q to HTC TouchPro to HTC TouchPro2 directly to the Arrive (all Keyboard phones), so for us business folks, keyboards allow us to type long and complicated professional discourse without having to drag out the laptop/tablet. Even though the lack of landscape for Arrive was ill-conceived, it's still just a completely sound device in most respects, albeit extremely poorly marketed. In fact, Sprint decided to market against it to highlight their Android phones, only to see Arrive be one the highest rated phones that they ever carried. It's a tank that withstands dropping and still somehow maintains that slide-and-tilt "Wow" factor which I was sure would eventually break. ;-) I have been bracing for the day when I'm forced into the world of the on-screen keyboard and practicing on my Arrive for years and in the end, nothing beats that outstanding Arrive keyboard. Maybe Surface phone arrives to save us business folks from BlackBerry. Wouldn't that be nice? Only if they market it! ;-P

lippidp says:

That's what everyone said about stylus, too, but look at the Note now.

xconomicron says:

The Note is also a niche device.  There are only a handful of people that want a 5.5" screen. While I do like the dimensions of the Note/2, I certainly would not want to carry it as a primary device everyday.  It's heavier than my Titan.

Sam Not Spam says:

I'd love to see Nokia work with Lytro, but whatever. This would likely be the kind of upgrade I'd want from my beloved Lumia 900! Very excited to see a striking design that's not a slab. Don't get me wrong - I feel the current phones are actually nice, simple, almost elegant, but they're very dull now as a result.

Nokia + Lytro would be pretty cool indeed... they should purchase the company or license or whatever!

jmshub says:

That would be sick

Chemilinski says:

Hahaha, have you seen how big the Lytro is!?
People have been complaining that the 808 was to thick.. having the Lytro attached, the phone would be Y shaped :P

MadSci2 says:

Down no-one know that the word "EOS" is trademarked by Canon for use regarding digital imaging? Either EOS is an internal codename that will be dropped, or Canon is getting on board in some way. Otherwise, they will have to split brand for Europe ( where Canon uses the "ELPH" moniker) and the US.

TK2011 says:

I agree. Nokia absolutely cannot use EOS label on camera related product unless they have some sort of deal with Canon.

jjmurphy says:

They used elph here in the US for a short while as well. I'm surprised more people didn't pick up on the Canon thing.

tissotti says:

It's a codename. It will be Lumia 950 or something.

All of the Nokia's have condenames and hardware numbers. Lumia 800 SeaRay, N900 Rover, Lankku N9 etc etc

AMERICANRAJ says:

There's rumors by me about the Nokia Lumia 1000

NIST says:

This IS the next big thing.

paras chugh says:

why can't nokia just use a quad core processor instead of using a secondary processor for it ?

NIST says:

Same reason integrated graphics on a motherboard generally sucks.

nikon133 says:

To process 41MP of RAW image data, you'd need a dedicated (and optimized) processing.

I'm playing with 20MP RAW images on decent i5 quad core CPU running on 3.4GHz in my desktop PC. It takes a few seconds - around 3, I'd say, didn't actually measure - only to render preview from RAW in Lightroom. It will take approximately same time to apply changes, and maybe a second more to export to JPG.

Dual core Snapdragon is nowhere close in performance to i5, and images are twice the size of what I'm munching; I phone supports RAW, I'd be surprised if phone could do anything - including simple on-screen preview after image was made - in less than 30 seconds. Per image. Even without RAW support, it would take very unconfortable time to convert original capture to JPG. So it has to be dedicated hardware, I'd say.

riffraffy says:

I *really" hope it includes a memory-card slot...

JPDVM2014 says:

I would hope so, or at least have a 64 gb option.

TK2011 says:

Daniel, are you sure they need a separate chip to handle 41MP? I thought I read somewhere that the latest Snapdragon can handle 50+MP.

Wevenhuis says:

Hmmm, for me a strong reason to hold up on the lumia 920. Hope the EOS will boast at least a 4.5 inch screen.

lesd777 says:

4.3" screen no thanks

xconomicron says:

5.2" screen...no thanks

gcdc_lumia says:

i dont like the shape. is that really the actual thing? i hope it still has the lumia feel. glad i havent bought a 920 yet, i was waiting for this.

wpguy says:

Looks a lot like a ST:TNG phaser. I'd rather it be more like the 92x or 82x series in shape.

ralexand56 says:

God, I hope not.

maghisdaniel says:

Is Nokia going to make some partnership with Canon??Since Canon allready use the EOS name in their DSLR cameras.If yes this is gonna be a monster camera phone.It will be interesting.Plus some 1080p screen and the new qualcomm chipset.

dukrem says:

Phone screens do not need to be 1080p unless they are round the 5" mark. I doubt this will be a 5" phone because it is a phone for photography enthusiasts. Thus, every aspect will be designed with this in mind. Holding a 5"+ device like a camera is awkward, and with the camera bulge it would be too big and heavy. It will likely be 4-4.5, where 768p gives more than enough ppi. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a big lumia this year.

ej1024 says:

Oh hell yeah...i just hope its 5 inch

Rockartisten says:

"Nokia will probably need to use a secondary processor to help the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC render such massive images."

Sure about that? The new Snapdragon 800 that we will see in phones this summer, will support camera phones with up to 55 megapixels and 4K video recording and decoding. Is it a coincidence that this new camera phone is scheduled for release when the new high end Qualcomm chip is available on the market? I'd like to think it is not. :)

nikon133 says:

That can mean Snapdragon does/will have DSP integrated in SoC. But one was or another, it is requirement :)
Think of it this way - even P&S cameras with much smaller pixel count have dedicated image processing hardware and software, like Nikon Expeed, Canon DIGIC, Sony Bionz, Panasonic Venus engines... processing 41MP ith general processor only, good luck :)

Rockartisten says:

"That can mean Snapdragon does/will have DSP integrated in SoC.........processing 41MP with general processor only, good luck :)"

Which smartphone SoC does not have a DSP? Qualcomm uses three types of processors in their SoC; Krait CPU, Adreno GPU and Hexagon DSP. The Snapdragon 800 uses all new processors; Krait 400, Adreno 330 and Hexagon v5.

nikon133 says:

Thanks.
I don't know much about smartphone SoCs, and I did not say they don't have DSP. My post was based on logic and some knowledge I have about cameras, and based on that, my opinion was that modern smartphones must have DSP in order to deal with current size of photos they are capable to take.

CSJr1 says:

I must be the only one that
a) doesn't like the design
and
b) think the screen is too small at 4.3"
Why upgrade the camera and downgrade the screen?  I'll keep my 920 untill an "EOS" comes in a screen equal to or larger than it.  Oh, and doesn't look like a boomerang.

LaNiQuE says:

How's that most of the people have been saying the same as u which is more of a reason for us with a love for photography and unique design to go out and grab one

jdevenberg says:

I hate the design too, but I'd use a phone that looked like a big brown turd to get that camera.  However, I like a 4.3" sceen.  I think anything over 4.3" and under 5.3" is a stupid size.

JPDVM2014 says:

I don't like how it curves out so much at the bottom, and I don't really like the sharp edges. I would be much happier with an 808 running WP8.  The 4.3" screen I can deal with.

Man, I might have to see about selling my Lumia 920 and picking this up now...

LaNiQuE says:

Hey Dan there isn't a front facing camera? Its not a deal breaker for me just wondering... Hopefully more color options also

sdreamer says:

Canon I doubt would let anyone else use the Eos name. Maybe Canon is in on this too ?

maghisdaniel says:

Well maybe something out there.It will be nice to see Nokia with help from Canon for the camera :D.Why not??

I think the design is interesting, but different, and different doesn't mean good for average joes. For example, I like it, I would consider it, but I wouldn't put a phone like that in my pocket, which is a problem for me. I much prefer a more slate-like design being easy to carry.

Of course, that's a mock up, so we have to wait and see what they really offer.

RaRa85 says:

The design will be much better than this. This mockup design is really different but just unattractive.

Has anyone seen this by Nokia Research w/video

cdb033 says:

Wow! I would love to see the images it produces.

1jaxstate1 says:

Yikes, what a shitty looking phone. I hope they do something better with the design.

Wonder why my comment got deleted, if canon joins with Nokia that would be huge, I just need a screen that is a bit bigger

RaRa85 says:

Well hopefully its not that butt ugly design pictured here and hopefully, finally, maybe T-Mobile and Verizon will get one too.

wpguy says:

If the design has to be butt-ugly to get on T-Mo, then maybe... But I'd rather something a little more convential in shape.

ClixT says:

Let's wait for Feb 21, 2013. Remember this from last year? hehehe

r3dl1n3 says:

I' buy one in a heartbeat.. Even though I have a 920.. I just switch back and forth

jlynnm350z says:

Bla,bla!! I want my 42 MP

loribinca says:

Nice - I was on the fence about upgrading my L900 to a L920 next month ... guess I'll wait it out for this one - WP7.8 just might be the stopgap I needed.

Cellus13 says:

Oh god please no.

jerrynomenon says:

Looks like giant remote controller with camera

if this has the lumina body or a updated version of it, Id trade in my 3 month old 920 for it immediately. As long as it comes in Red.....

diplomat696 says:

I just jizzed a bit.

RockmanNeo says:

I'm not sure if that's a pleasant feeling.

Rockartisten says:

It's the greatest feeling in the world.

lubbalots says:

Don't clean up! Let that heavenly feeling continue to flow until the day of release.

DEV55 says:

I am not sure I like the one above or http://wmpoweruser.com/guardian-confirms-41mp-pureview-lumia-device-code...
Dual tone definitely looks better

sanders2232 says:

That is a nice design.

sanders2232 says:

Wow this is exciting news!!! Nokia is going to gain so many new customers with this device.

TechnoTim says:

Guessing 41 mp no. 20mp maybe. Lumia name yes.

petibear says:

Stunning design, smaller display (I really don't get the trend of having the screen as big as possible), the best camera - I'm in. I do not need anything else from a phone. For now :)

lubbalots says:

I like big screens. Good for typing, writing, and entertainment. After using 4'3", I will never go any less. Though I will not go into phablet territory. Its just too big. I'll get a tablet for anything bigger than 4'7".

travisel says:

This article is wrong it says dual-core with Adreno 320 well that can't be true because the only Snapdragon processor that has Dual-core + Adreno 320 is MSM8960T and 20 mega pixel is the max for that processor!

Now we are talking about 41 mega pixel so only the new Snapdragon 600 & 800 series processor's can do up to 55 mega pixel camera support!

But the new Snapdragon 600 & 800 only come in Quad-core SOC processor!

Old Snapdragon with 20MP:
- S4 Pro MSM8960T Dual-core Krait with Adreno 320.

New Snapdragon with 55MP:
- 600 APQ8064T Quad-core Krait 300 with Adreno 320.

- 800 MSM8974 Quad-core Krait 400 with Adreno 330.

Ether this article written wrong information and its a Quad-core and not a Dual-core or its only 20 mega pixel and not a 41 mega pixel!

Nice find! Wow, with a camera like that, processor like that I just hope the battery can keep up. Amazing...

lubbalots says:

I read somewhere that its gonna be tuned down to 20+ MP.

travisel says:

If your right it's just a refresh WP8.1 Nokia Lumia 925T
- S4 Pro MSM8960T

The Nokia Lumia 920T is in China only! It too use's S4 Pro 8960T.

Possibly, but if they found a way to squeeze that sensor into a 920 that is a major feat of engineering, if the only thing holding back the 41 mp sensor is a processor you can bet that will be out next year

vlad0 says:

Supporting 50Mpix is not the whole picture.. further processing is needed for oversampling during stills and video. Lets hope those new chips can handle it :)

dukrem says:

The slide containing those specs (including the adreno 320 gpu) was leaked nearly a year ago. This means they were working off a qualcomm roadmap which may not have had the same finalised cpu/gpu combinations that were announced at ces this year. So it could well be that there was a dual core "new" snapdragon with adreno 320 that was planned back then that sat below the 600.
The other possibility is that they are using the s4 with a separate ISP. This has been done in several HTC phones including the 8x and would allow for 41MP on the old processor.
I am 90% sure they are not nerfing the sensor to 20MP - this would have a catastrophic effect on the "lossless" digital zoom/cropping that makes the huge sensor so great, and is a major part of the pureview package (41MP means @ 2X zoom results in ~10MP image, @3X results in ~4.5MP image. 20MP means @2X zoom you get 5MP, @3X you only get 2.1MP).
If I had to pick between those I'd say they will go all out with the 800 series and not only release the first serious smartphone with the massive 41MP sensor, but also the first to be able to record 4K video (which the 800 series is capable of). This would also explain the summer release as qualcomm has previously stated the 600 and 800 series will first appear in commercial devices mid year 2013, which would put the release of the EOS late may-june.
As much as I want it sooner, the 4K video may be worth the wait as a killer feature.

lubbalots says:

I couldn't stay with tmo any longer! I can't stand their reception and their product line up-Android all over the place. Had to have the L920. Went to ATT, service almost everywhere! Well, gonna be adding another I guess and my L920 will go to my son.

Chi28n2k says:

⬆Me likes your comment a lot, Lubbalots⬆ AT&T trashing/trolling is stale. Network is gray, and getting better all the time. Getting 20mbs/down, in a little Central Illinois town!

travisel says:

My best guess is this is not a Lumia! This is something new.

The article says EOS could be a new line of Windows Phone.

Nokia Lumia 930 with EOS
- 4.3" 768p? ...4.7" 768p I say!
- 41MP camera with 1080p video!
- Snapdragon 600 APQ8064T Quad-Core Krait 300 @1.9GHz c/w Adreno 320.
- Windows Phone 8.1 OS
Release date Q2 2013

MS Surface Phone
- Snapdragon 600
- WP8.1 OS
Release date Q2 2012

This is my guess!

The Nokia Lumia 940 is still coming later this year say Q4 2013 with the release of WP8.5 update.

- 5" 1080p display
- Snapdragon 800
- 2GB RAM + 64GB Flash

Again this is my best guess!

my co-worker's mom makes $77/hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her pay check was $13246 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site... http://www.wow83.com

AsphyxiA says:

possibly the phone is made with graphene?

john6504 says:

I prefeer the EOS name in this phone. So different to the Lumia series so it would be confusing to have the same name to.

Yangstax says:

I'm glad to see that Nokia starting to do the right things - reduce the weight of L920 by slipping into an aluminum case, make it available on Verizon, and now the new offering of EOS 41 MP Pureview phone.  I would like also to see them release a 41MP PureView phone for Android to test the market.  I think that they wil be pleasantly surprised.

dukrem says:

and also unpleasantly surprised by the resources required to establish and maintain a range of android devices on top of their current range. Seriously if they started this week it wouldn't be out until mid 2014 at least, and they'd be releasing with many competing services onboard like google maps. By then I'm sure Samsung will have copy pasted the oversampling technology into a galaxy.

Yangstax says:

Even so, venturing into the Android world will prove unavoidable in the long run.  All the investment in resources will be well worth it by marching into the 60% of market share.  The Windows phone market share is small and growing slowly.  There will be more competitors like Huawei, ZTE, and Lenovo to join the Windows phone fight in the coming years.  And the Nokia feature phone will start declining in a few years.  Nokia will have no choice but expanding into the Android world, the sooner the bettter before it is too late.

Tjarren says:

So what are the chances that we'll have date that are non-seasonal or quarterly for these come MWC, because it would be a challenge to seriously consider the 'Laser' if the 'Eos' is coming 2 or 3 months later ...

thanchetmy says:

so you are saywing now that my L920 is already out of date? even though i just get it a few months ago? i love Nokia and love my Cyan 920, but seriously, if they release this rumor 40pixel WP8 phone, i would really dislike them for the fact that someone will have a better nokia than me. :). i would probably sell my L920 and get that new one. But i still feel sad though.

nsp24 says:

I would not buy it looking at those pictures, I want a better camera on a model that looks more like my 920. To be honest the 920 camera is very good anyway!

gilesjuk says:

EOS is a Canon trademark?

CeeGii says:

it doesnt hurt to Google shit before asking stupid questions

EOS is not a trademark created/owned by Canon

see her PIC up there? shes the Goddes of the Dawn
and

Electro-Optical System used in imaging NOT INVENTED or DEVELOPED by Canin

Rishicash says:

The way this is shaping up, it might be better named EROS

derek533 says:

That one picture showing the back and front sure does look an awful lot like the old Nokia 3510 series of phones.  They've even got the square rubber thingy on the back of the old phone except it's now the camera...

prashant45 says:

nokia the great

joejaggi says:

This is going to be a rough wait until the end of the month, and maybe a longer wait until May. My contract's up this month, and my Focus is starting to look really worse for the wear. I was hoping the 7.8 update was going to breathe some new life into it, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. I've been eyeing up the site for the last month or so in anticipation of the upgrade to WIndows Phone 8. I had all but decided on the Lumia 920. My only concern was the unremovable battery. I have three for my Focus. I was ready  to give it a shot, though. Now I'm in a holding pattern. One of the things I use my phone for the most is photography. I guess a three month wait is better than an 18 month wait if I jump the gun.