Analysis

Apps you lose in switching from a Lumia to HTC Windows Phone

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Chris Weber on the future of device branding at Microsoft

Latest ad from Microsoft shows just how colorful Nokia Lumia products are

Astonishing video of a tornado formation recorded with a Nokia Lumia 925

Use your main camera for selfies with the latest Nokia Glam Me update

Lumia 630 now available in Russia, Lumia 930 up for pre-order

Nokia name to continue on Lumia Windows phones for 'some time'

Nokia update roundup: Video Upload hits 2.0, Cinemagraph and Access Point with fixes

Nokia launches Gift Voucher promotion for select UK Lumia Windows Phones

Nokia bumps Network+ system app to support dual-SIM Windows Phones

New Car app from Nokia helps you out while driving

Nokia releases new Pocket Magnifier app, updates Glance for 8.1, refreshes others

Windows Phones

Nokia giving away $10 gift vouchers for opinions on their Lumia 1520 (invite only)

Nokia releases 'spaceselfie' app to take an out of this world photo

Nokia teases Imagin8 camera app, turns ‘any environment into a digital playground’

Nokia adds personalized notes in latest Glance screen update

< >
Super Monkey Ball 2

Sonic CD, Super Monkey Ball 2 no longer available for free on Lumia hardware

We're rather confused as to what's going on but it seems as though Sonic CD has joined Super Monkey in becoming unavailable on the Windows Phone store. Both titles were published in the Nokia Collection of apps for Lumia owners to enjoy for free, which was seen as an awesome move by Nokia. It's therefore come as a slight surprise that both games can no longer be downloaded.

The error provided to users is the pesky "this app is not available for your device." We could assume that there has been a mistake, there were bugs found, or the deals were only limited for a handful of days. We'll wait to see if they should return, but Nokia failed to respond to our requests for clarification on the issue.

If you were lucky enough to get in while you could, good job. For the rest of us, we'll have to fork out on the Xbox Live versions - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are other games available in the Nokia Collection so we hope that these popular titles return soon enough.

Be sure to join in the discussion over on our community forum. via: WMPU

Comments

R42 says:

Download em when I had the chance :D

I did to.. Soon as I seen the post up on WP Central.. Downloaded Sonic CD then SMB2-SE straight away.. :-)

K_lando says:

This is why I am addcited to Weave + wpcentral feeds.

jonathonpm says:

Same here, I didn't expect them to be free forever, some previous Nokia freebies have been limited to a couple of days too.

Iskassasya says:

I am gutted was working away from home with no WiFi and going out at night to find a WiFi spot would have meant travelling. I have a 6GB+ allowance so have no problem with data, but come on. I couldn't download them, stupid 25MB limit.

JacksonSQD says:

Even though this doesn't help your situation, wasn't the limit raised to 50MB?

paulomalley says:

Correct it was, you beat me to it... ;)

greg2k says:

I'm sure the game is far larger than 50MB. It has two soundtracks with over a dozen tracks each. And then there's the FMV for title and ending. The game is big.

JacksonSQD says:

Yeah, I believe the game was something around 130-150MB, completely forgot about it after getting distracted by Mirror's Edge in the store. :(

You could have hit installed and then when u had WiFi it would have installed. I didn't have WiFi when I first read about this. When I went to install it put the games in the games list and said attention required until I got home.

expectafight says:

Exactly what I did...

Be too and the file was 256 Mb if I remember

PeterFnet says:

You can still "purchase" and download later. I downloaded when I got home from work.

VDubb22 says:

Next time, hit up the website and install the games from there. Even if you can't download them, they'll be available to your  account as purchased.

wpstan says:

Never had a chance to download the games for free up here in Canada..they were never free up here and not even in the Nokia collection

Greg Green says:

I'm in Canada and was able to download both games for free.

paganZERO says:

I'm in Canada and was able to download them for free..

downloaded both when they were available! :D
deleted sonic cd within half an hour! :P it's just pathetic..
enjoy playing smb2-se these days.. :)

joeynox says:

I agree about the sonic being junk. Sonic on a touch device where your fingers block part of the screen is not good

Paul Acevedo says:

What a strange thing to say.

blange701 says:

Never was able to find them ob us at&t Nokia 920. The links from wpcentral gave me an error and was not able to find them in store or Nokia collection

AriesDog says:

Same thing on my sister's 710.

joeynox says:

Nokia tweeted it was free

Nakazul says:

EA games and Need For Speed Undercover is only available in Spanish on Swedish (EU?) marketplace now, and have been for a while. It used to be in English.
The Marketplace stuff is filled like a box of chocolates, with GOOO! :-(

ZiiimZooon says:

Need for Speed Undercover isn't available for me with the Danish (EU) martketplace.. I've never seen it :/

BKsInBarre says:

I got both, had a hard time getting Sonic. Haven't found any bugs yet.

NickyNichols says:

For what its worth, neither of the games are spectacular ports. You aren't really missing out if you didn't catch that deal.

greg2k says:

I know there is always a certain degree of subjectivity when talking about one's preferences, but that claim is flat out bullshit for Sonic CD. It is so good it's even better than the Sega CD original. More to see on screen at once, interchangeable soundtracks, XBL achievements and leaderboards, Tails as an extra...

If only the phones has physical buttons to better emulate the joypad. Damnit this game even has better onscree controls than Sonic 4

K_lando says:

"If only the phones has physical buttons to better emulate the joypad"

Dealbreaker for me. I still downloaded it because... hey, FREE is good... but I don't particularly enjoy playing with the touch screen controls.

Its the same w/ the SNES emulator... its pretty much relegated to playing slower games... like RPGs and what not, because touch screen controls are just not good enough in response or accuracy for fast platformers and what not.

I even purchased a set of Thumbies to test out on my phone (got em for 99 cents on eBay)... and the stick on buttons are awesome, but the stick on control pad is worthless.

myrandex says:

Eh better on screen controls than I expected that's for certain, but I understand the feeling there.

myrandex says:

But no Sonic Boom intro music. That's what I remember most about the Sega CD version

Paul Acevedo says:

K lando is absolutely right. Sonic CD is one of the finest game remakes/ports of all time.

Residing says:

These games never appeared in the Nokia Collection on my device (Lumia 900 ATT), but I did download each game via the QR code on this site.  I could search for each game, however.

Maybe they were free for a limited time, and will be offered again for a price lower than the Xbox Live versions, at least I hope that is the case.  Nonetheless, thank you Nokia for the free games!

nonameform says:

Those games weren't available in Russia since they didn't have PEGI rating. Kinda annoys me that many new titles are released without the rating at first, so afer reading a review you can't download or buy the game.

inteller says:

i doubt these will see updates in the future....this is an orphaned fork...should have just offered up the XBL versions.

myrandex says:

This sucks! I downloaded them but just received a new handset due to warranty issues and I cannot redownload it again on my new phone :/

bbqrooster says:

If you have downloaded it, then you have purchased (for free) the said 2 games. If you use the same windows account on your new phone, just buy the games again and you will be informed that you have purchased it before. You will then be able to download the games again wihtout paying. So I don't see why you cannot redownload it again for free on your new phone.

If it's no longer in the store to purchase, no way to do that. It's possible ReInstaller might produce the appropriate link if it can't be found otherwise.

MDak280 says:

So glad I got them while they were free! Sonic CD is great :)

dbgman says:

Got sonic cd but didn't get the chance to get monkey ball 2.

Hey! my Nokia collection in the app store has disappeared...

myrandex says:

It isn't whining, it is good information to know. On iOS, it backs up all of your data and apps, and you move to a new device they are copied locally and settings are restored automatically. Migrating phones or replacing phones with Windows Phones take 100x the work depending on how much content you have set up, installed, and configured.

And besides getting it for free only to not have the option to use what was successfully and legally acquired in the past on a legit device just isn't right...whether there is cost associated with it or not. This same business practice could just as easily happen to something that isn't free.

bbqrooster says:

Erh, excuse me. Are you a current user of WP8? If you do, please see
and learn how to use the backup feature. The only thing that is not saved is the apps settings but you do get all your installed apps restored.

Paul Acevedo says:

That's still not okay from a gaming standpoint. And I doubt it backsup games that are actually pulled from the WP Store.

myrandex says:

Not just App Settings are not saved, but the Apps themselves are not saved.  So if an App is available for download or purchase, and you download or purchase it, and then it is later removed from being downloaded, there is no way to get it again (even if it were paid for).
Also Music is not backed up, and given the awful solutions for syncing right now, I just spent hours getting my collection back on there using Windows Media Player (because at least that lets you copy an individual song over if you want to and it will get album art properly, while when I tried copying files manually using File Explorer the Album Art was all messed up).
And yes I'm a current WP8 user...
Jason

sdreamer says:

Another reason it would be nice to have local copies of apps like they do on ios. I had SMB 2, but I had to reflash and my backup didn't work.... Now i can't get it back. Other cases are even when you pay for an app then they suddenly disappear off the Store. ..

williewillus says:

Got sonic, but not smb

J4rrod says:

I kept trying to download it but it said it wasn't available in my region -_-

oddom says:

I'm reading a lot of negative comments which seems weird for an awesome free game like sonic cd.. My Lumia 710 has a small screen which makes the game kinda hard to play but my galaxy nexus isn't bigger so I can enjoy it there. But I always love a free game

MMFF77 says:

50% of games I have on my lumia 920 are no longer available in store: Sonic CD, Super Monkey Ball 2,bubble gum air premium,bomberman vs. zombies, extreme flight premium.

Gmotagi says:

not in uk either

MMFF77 says:

also is not available, need for speed undercover.

LUMIAMAN says:

if we uninstall any of these two free copies, there isnt a way to install them back again by the time they are not free any more ?

Cleveland2k says:

I was never able to get them. For some reason they didn't appear in my market.

LUMIAMAN says:

it wasnt available in my marketplace either, i was only able to install them by following the qr-links provided by wpcentral

No big loss, though. My Lumia 800 suffered upon the installation of Sonic (looks like a heavy download), only to start the game and delete it a few seconds later. I've never been fond of Sonic.

xWisp says:

Glad I got in there as soon as I could :3

AskaLangly says:

I already own and beat SCD. No worries.

Quin452 says:

Sonic was never free for me :-(