Windows Phone Collections: For The Kids

Some old Xbox games get a 2nd Life

Games

Cut and Hack, the hacking simulator from iOS and Android is now on Windows Phone

Huebrix shifts to Windows Phone after 1.6 million downloads on other platforms

Xbox gamers can now put Microsoft Jigsaw together on Windows 8

Games

Sheep Up!, popular iOS and Android game jumps into the Windows Phone Store with exclusive content

More mobile Xbox games delisted as Windows Phone struggles to find its way

Games

WhatWay, test your reaction time in this challenging and addictive game for Windows Phone

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live connectivity issues affecting Xbox 360 and Xbox One; Netflix and Twitch also down

Games

Dark Way Down, find the light in this totally free puzzle game for Windows Phone

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live currently experiencing issues, impacts Xbox One and Xbox Music

Rival Knights brings medieval jousting to Windows Phone

Games

Hues is a colorful game of Threes! that will challenge your brain

Games

The sequel to the popular Dhoom:3 The Game is here… time for the Jet Speed!

Lost Echo, a 3D action adventure game jumps from iOS to Windows Phone Store

Magic Realms for Windows Phone suffers a game-breaking update [Updated]

Games

Ubisoft brings Valiant Hearts and Tetris Ultimate to Xbox One and Xbox 360 this summer

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris announced for Xbox One and PC

Xbox

Xbox One coming to India in September starting at INR 39,990

Rise of the Tomb Raider announced for holiday 2015

KooZac for Windows Phone

Square Enix returns to Xbox on Windows Phone with a puzzle game called KooZac

You could be forgiven for not expecting a new Xbox release this week. After Skulls of the Shogun’s long-awaited debut last week, there really aren’t too many upcoming Xbox Windows Phone games that we actually know about. But Microsoft told us the release drought would probably end this month, and it looks like they were right. A shiny new game has popped up for all Windows Phone 7 and 8 users today: the oddly named KooZac.

Almost as exciting as receiving a new release at all these days, KooZac comes from one of our favorite mobile publishers – Square Enix, makers of Final Fantasy. We actually heard whispers of this game coming to Windows Phone at E3 last year, but the representative was so noncommittal about it that we didn’t bother to get our hopes up. Looks like Square Enix hasn’t given up on Windows Phone yet!

You got your math in my puzzle game

KooZac

KooZac is a falling block puzzle game with a twist: it also involves arithmetic. See, instead of matching colors or shapes, the goal is to create vertical stacks of numbers that add up to a target number. The target changes every few seconds, so players really have to stay on their toes and watch both the top and bottom of the screen in order to succeed.

Three medians, I mean modes to choose from

The game includes three different game types:

• Puzzle: 60 unique levels. To actually complete a level, you’ll need to clear all of the silver blocks it starts with by using them to make a match.
  • Endless: Forget about silver blocks and just go after high scores.
  • Blitz: Similar to Bejeweled Blitz on XBLA, this is a fast-paced 60 second score attack mode. Interestingly, players’ scores are apparently compared against those of their Facebook friends. That makes this the first Xbox Windows Phone game with actual Facebook integration.

Coins and boosting

KooZac Facebook integration

KooZac includes a grinding focus that could potentially prove quite addicting. Players earn coins by playing Blitz mode and liking the game’s not-quite-ready Facebook page (pictured above). These coins can then be spent on Boosts – temporary score enhancing power-ups. To unlock all of the game’s Achievements, you’ll need to earn and spend a vast amount of coins. Hopefully the game stays fresh enough to sustain those goals (or somebody finds a nice coin-earning exploit).

Early impressions

KooZac seems like a strong port – I’m still surprised to see Facebook integration in Blitz mode since we usually lose out on features like that. That said, the controls are somewhat finicky. When swiping down to quickly drop a piece, the piece often shifted to the side instead of falling straight down. With a little practice, that touchiness can probably be overcome – but I’m still hoping for a patch to tighten up the controls.

KooZac costs $2.99 – a bit more than the 99 cent iOS version. Considering that our Final Fantasy costs $2 less than its iOS predecessor, I guess this evens things out. Anyway, puzzle game fans with a few bucks to spend can grab KooZac here at the Windows Phone Store.

QR: KooZac

Comments

joeynox says:

I'm so tired of all these block or Gem games clogging up the game store

jlynnm350z says:

Amen brother, how about some shooting games. Blood & guts = cool

tissotti says:

They are the only games i play on mobile. Can't be forced to play anything more complex on a mobile.

I really would like to see some Dungeon games...

Completely agree. Ugh. Same game and just variations on graphics and sounds.

Aldoron says:

Granted the concept isn't complex but could any of you show me an example of a number game like this one on the store? I enjoy it, but i too would also like more dungeon crawlers

CJ Thunder says:

Price only evens out if you buy both games, and both Square titles are not really geared to the same audience.

I was all ready to play this, until I got smacked in the face by a $3 price tag. This isn't the type of game worth $3, even if $3 isn't a lot of money. If it was free, I'd be all over it. If it was the same $1 as the iOS version, I'd maybe have gotten it.

Paul Acevedo says:

Publishers sometimes choose to price their Windows Phone games higher because of the platform's smaller user base. It's a drag, but we'll have to live with it until Windows Phone reaches much higher numbers.

Etyrnus says:

Bing rewards -> can earn money for WP store.

Tomasz S. says:

And not outside of the US.

I already have, and I used that for Skulls of the Shogun. After that, I still have $4.70 left, plus enough points for another $5 card. However, that does NOT change the value of the game. I would rather keep my credit for better-quality games than blow it on this overpriced one.

adrian1338 says:

Well.. i spend less time and more money on a coffee in startbucks..

DavidinCT says:

ANOTHER puzzle game ? When are we going to get real games ??????

No thanks, if it was free for the achievements, maybe but, I am really sick of all the puzzle games we need real games...

hauz_20 says:

What's a real game? I'd love to hear your criteria.

Well, I think what he means is that there is a decent lacking of Xbox games, outside of the puzzle genre. Gun Bros is good, but has bugs (especially when launching). Breeze was dumb. Skulls is very good, but that's about it.

We don't have much in the way of platformer/action games, MMOs, shooters, or even racgin games on the Xbox side.

evilrobot says:

I second that, really sick of puzzle games.

wpguy says:

Also available for WP7.5. Any devs know if 7.8 is a separate compile target?

l_n says:

The targets are 7.x and 8.0.

tylerh1701 says:

Looks pretty good to me, I like puzzle games.  I'll keep it on my radar.

Very nice to see an XBox game be released.  Maybe we'll start getting 1 a week again...

jcutting says:

My first thought was "another puzzle game, yawn", but I like the twist of the math element - I might pick this up.  The Bing Rewards avenue should work, too (thanks to Etyrnus above for the reminder).

Slai says:

They release this instead og FFIV remastered,or (dear god make it so): FFVI, FFVII or FFIX remastered?

For shame, SquareEnix... For shame!

Paul Acevedo says:

Sure. Just think of how much less time and money this took to port. But more RPGs are still a possibility in the future.

Slai says:

True, but still; when I hear square/enix releases a game for wp8 shortly after they release ffiv for Ios, and it turns out its a puzzle game and not ff, I am a sad panda.

N8tiveT3ch says:

This game hurts by Brain with basic math need another game to play. I guess my money is spent better elsewhere.

Anything from Square Enix is good news. It gives me some hope we may get more Final Fantasy games on the platform :P

I would even buy the horrible FF Dimensions if it led if it led to FF 2-3 and Tactics. Downloading the trial now...

bitemeblinky says:

Wasn't a fan of the game from the trial but I'm just glad to see WP games.

Murgatroyd7 says:

Well, it's better than nothing.

GizmoEV says:

Good one, Paul. You were able to get three averages in one sentence: mean, median, and mode. :)

Paul Acevedo says:

I'm so glad someone caught that. :-D

MastrMeatWad says:

Sweet. Now dotw please!

This,

And hooray for new games!

TechAbstract says:

This game is on Android too. With "unsupported phone" and "unsupport screen size" lol. That's hardware fragmentation.

Hanhua Yin says:

Where are Chaos Rings 1, Omega, 2, FF 2-4, Hills and Rivers Remain, Secret of Mana, FFT, The World Ends with You, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, FF Dimensions, and all the other awesome titles you released on iOS, Square Enix?

Slai says:

FFVII with FFIV remastered style graphics would be awesome...

arbetaren says:

I wish they could update all the old Xbox live tiles/icons to the new ones with green top/border.