PDF Reader for Windows Phone 8 gets a minor bump in second update

We’re not everyday users of Microsoft’s PDF Reader for Windows Phone 8 but we know many of you are, hence this post. Just a day ago, version 1.1.4784.14585 went live in the Store with some important new features, including opening password-protected files, which is pretty huge.

Today a slight revision has gone with version 1.1.4785.5817 rolling out to devices.

Seeing as that is such a small change, we’re presuming there aren’t any new features or UX changes to the app but instead a quick bug fix or optimization instead. If you’ve had problems with the last update or need this app daily, you’ll want to grab the latest version that is available now.

And if you happen to discover something new (or better), feel free to share with others in comments.

Pick up PDF Reader here in the Store.

QR: PDF Reader

Comments

chuey101 says:

Yep it fixed sharing which was broken in prior update if you shared, it would take you to a zero byte file. Seems to work now. Hurrah!

theefman says:

Hurrah indeed! :) Wish Microsoft would update all their apps and the OS this quickly.

Awesome, that is fast response time for Microsoft! Great job guys!!

WPSteve says:

I can finally keep a PDF of the NYC MTA Subway Map on my phone, finally. Which is all I needed it for, so I'm happy. (An official MTA app would be nice)

Watcher Ter says:

There is an MTA app in the store, lame one but works.

piaqt says:

MTA Information (in the Marketplace) comes in ad-supported & paid versions. It provides service updates, line info, maps and more. Very nice UI, and tons of useful info.

Hiiiiiiiii says:

Changelog

NEW:
· Use the Optimize for Web and Mobile guided Action to enhance PDF reading experiences for connected people on the go
· Convert PDF files to Microsoft PowerPoint files and update text, tables, objects, and master layouts with ease
· Edit PDF documents intuitively. Easily modify text or images, or reflow paragraphs on a page with a simple click and drag
· Find and replace text throughout your PDF file in just one step
· Create new PDF or web forms in minutes with the included FormsCentral desktop app
· View real-time results, displayed in easy-to-understand tables and charts, in the FormsCentral desktop app§
· Get PDF documents signed by others. Use the Adobe EchoSign service to request signatures and track status online
· Add edit and copy restrictions to your PDFs quickly when working in Acrobat or popular Microsoft Office applications

IMPROVED:
· Create and send interactive PDF files from popular Microsoft Office applications or web browsers using the Acrobat task ribbon
· Standardize routine, multistep PDF creation tasks using automated or guided Actions, working with a single file or batches of files
· Convert PDF files to fully editable Microsoft Word or Excel files, or copy and paste selected parts
· Turn PDF files into single or multiple HTML web pages, complete with editable style elements for quick reformatting
· Organize multiple documents in one PDF file, including spreadsheets, emails, scanned documents, websites, and photos
· Combine a wide range of content types into a polished PDF Portfolio.
· Sign a PDF file by typing or drawing your name, inserting an image of your signature, or adding a certificate signature
· Standardize routine, multistep tasks with guided or automated Actions
· Supported
· Create and validate conformance with ISO 32000 PDF standards and convert existing PDFs to ISO-compliant formats
· Enhance PDFs for accessibility. Check, verify, and adjust documents that need to meet WCAG 2.0 and PDF/UA standards
· Help safeguard systems and data with robust application security, including sandboxing technology
· Customize application features and settings with free tools such as the Customization Wizard and the Enterprise Toolkit
· Easily deploy your software and update computers with support for Microsoft SCCM/SCUP and Apple Remote Desktop
· Deliver Acrobat and Reader as centrally managed, touch-friendly, virtual applications with support for Citrix XenApp

dreamfly says:

Nice dream.

It's called PDF Reader, not Acrobat Creator.

Yea, this fixed the sharing bug.

AriesDog says:

Wish they made one for Windows Phone 7.x.

lewiedude says:

I can't keep my train schedule because IT WON'T ZOOM ENOUGH!!!!

Iskassasya says:

Yep. Good fix, now just Twitter lock screen and tile count? Oh, and a notification centre if I may be so cheeky...if no notification centre more than five lock screen notifications :)

TiLoBrown says:

No thank you. I'm fine without the center.

venetasoft says:

I dont need a notification center too. Live tiles are a better approach, more clean and modern.

fwaits says:

The tile dynamic won't change and is still the primary method of getting notification details for the apps you care most about, however there are many who would like a place that aggregates missed toasts and/or other notifiations that you don't see unless you look right when they arrive.  Nothing will make those not wanting it HAVE to go look at it and it won't change your current use of the Home screen.  This is like saying don't bring Instagram to WP8 because I don't like or use it.  The bottom line is you still want these features/apps to come to the platform so it will draw more people over, which in turn will get more developer support and keep the platform growing faster.

Montpbm says:

Well I need a notification center, forget what they're saying; they don't have to use it..

WillBrown says:

We can now delete files!!!
So sad that it took so long.

WoWNyx says:

They enabled PDF sharing! But its trough SkyDrive! The hell! Some times people would just like to attach the PDF rather then link them

venetasoft says:

Try PDFSend app for this.

kunwar_91 says:

Or send it via bluetooth, no?

RafRol says:

Still crashes when I try to open my password protected pay stubs...

scolab says:

I still have a problem opening a PDF from a specific website. This PDF opens on computer and from my wife's iPhone. Any ideas? https://www.bowlerexpress.com/NP_standingsShowPdf?f=S0096-0631.pdf

fwaits says:

We can't test that link as it requires you to be logged in as a member to their site.

typhon62_1 says:

You know I'm glad someone else has brought this up.  I've been on the Microsoft site asking why I can't do this several times and have not once gotten an answer.  I love WP8 but its just plain clueless on some very basic things.  Works on Android, works on iOS, works on PC's...
I think the issue is that the pdf reader wants the file in the "documents on your phone" area.  IE must be sticking it in a tempory directory where the pdf reader can't get to it.
PDF reader problem ? WP8 OS problem? IE problem?

toscrawford says:

Drat!  My most important feature didn't make the cut.

I need internal hyperlinks within a PDF to work.  Please?

lewiedude says:

Again, why is there such a low level limit on zooming? I even need to review surveys and the lack of greater zooming is killing me. When is adobe coming out with their reader for WP8??

just1gear says:

Still won't open password protected files; type in password, hit checkmark and crashes...back to home screen