Microsoft Surface RT

Firmware update to fix WiFi issues on the loose for the Microsoft Surface RT

Microsoft has released a firmware update for the Surface RT tablets. The update addresses "limited Wi-Fi connection issues and contains driver updates to improve performance with Windows as well as the volume and power buttons".

If you don't receive an update notification, you can manually check for the updates by:

• Swiping in from the right edge of the screen to open Settings.
  • Tap on the Settings link.
  • Tap Change PC Settings and swipe down to the Windows Update option.
  • Tap "Check for Updates"

When the Surface detects the updates just tap on the install option to begin the update process. You may see additional minor updates to Microsoft Office 2013 and the Windows Defender along with the February 12, 2013 Firmware update.

After you install the Firmware update, you'll need to check for additional updates.  We found 7 additional security updates as well as updates for Windows RT and Flash Player for IE10.  The entire process only takes a few minutes to complete.

If you've had WiFi issues with your Surface RT, let us know if this update does the trick.

Source: Microsoft Answers

Comments

sholokov says:

I have the volume rocker response issue. Lets see if that gets fixed. There are 14 updates (99.9 MB)

pedenske says:

there will be 7 more for IE 10 when those first 14 are done and your surface has restarted

sholokov says:

I had 8 more. One more for Defender.

Btw, no more volume rocker sticking/lag issue.

jhoff80 says:

It only fixes some Wifi Limited Connectivity issues.  A fix for more is coming in March (according to the Reddit AMA).

Rockartisten says:

Surface RT releases at Siba (retailer?) in Sweden tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting some hands-on. Although I want an x86 based tablet, it will be nice to get a feel for the device.

TechyMexican says:

so far everything is working fine. update only took 5 minutes to complete

What about the random muting issues? Anything on a fix for that?

srslykev says:

This has to do with broken contacts on your cover. I've had the same issue, contacted surface support and received a new cover immediately. It's been fine ever since.

Tomasz S. says:

I hope that fixes the bug, when I can't enter the pin to unlock the device without attaching the touch cover. Pretty often the on-screen keyboard just wouldn't show up untill I attached the cover and flipped it backwards.
Nice to see that the volume control seems to work normally now.

Narr says:

I had this issue and for me the cover wasn't attaching/detatching properly so when I took the cover off and wanted to enter my pass the Surface thought the keyboard was still attached. I've had both tablet and keyboard replaced so I can't tell you the exact fix...

blackprince says:

I have this bug as well but only for my wifes account.

SteggyDad says:

Does this fix he issue with not being able to download updates (System or Store) at times? I have this issue and usually have to re-boot to get things working again for a short time. Started happening after the last system update.

jhoff80 says:

Yes, this one is specifically mentioned.

rth314 says:

Awesome!  Finally!  I hope WiFi stays connected long enough to download the updates!

Anyone else having issues with their apps (any app) crashing, thus redirecting RT to desktop mode? For the record, I have not updated the firmware to the latest, and it does not appear to be isolated to a single app, but any app I select.

loofmodnar says:

I've had that issue but only since making a few of the tweaks from XDA. 4th row of tiles, whitelist, and some other stuff.

Now that you mention it, I did tweak regedit so that the tiles slide in everytime I hit the capacitive button. Did you have to remove the tweaks for the apps to start working properly again?

Yes! This just started happening to me after the last round of up dates. I sure hope this is fixed!

R0bR says:

Never had WiFi issues but was hoping this would fix the lack of performance when connected to 5Ghz, but it doesn't.

dkp23 says:

i had thought the previous update fixed this issue or at least that is what i read, but the problem still happened where my wifi would go to limited randomly it seemed.

Hopefully this is fixed for good.

theflew says:

You should mention these are general fixes for Windows RT.  They are not specific to MS Surface RT.  My Asus RT tablet got them as well.

jcutting says:

Most of the updates are general, but not the firmware fix.

FunGuy13 says:

I've had no issues with Wi-Fi, but I do have an issue of needing to attach my keyboard to unlock the device because the virtual keyboard sometimes fail to appear.

browryan says:

I have the opposite issue, I want to use the keyboard and have to un-attach it then reattach it for it to work.

exactly. And sometimes it thinks the type cover is attached when it's not :(

swizzlerz says:

IDE like a blootooth update.not sure if its my serfs e or new win 8 phone. But I have both connected to one Bluetooth. Sometimes there is a glitch were I no longer have sound. Shutting off my surface normally fixes it and resetting my phone and Bluetooth device tends to fix it. Go figure. Lol

fahdriyami says:

Well, i can confirm that the volume-reducing-itself-all-the-way-to-0-with-a-single-press-of-the-volume-down-button bug hasnt been fixed. :(

layfnatu2 says:

Sorry to hear that. I had the same issue but mine seems to be fixed now

Rich2013 says:

Same for me.  I'm taking mine into a Microsoft Store.  This issue has existed since purchase.

Bushybro says:

Anyone knows if this breaks the jailbreak?

dreamfly says:

Hope the same fix is coming to WP8 as currently I still can't connect to the corporate secured network.

blackprince says:

Hey George, have you not updated the preview version of Office on your Surface? There was a slew of updates for Office 2013 as well.

rx74ray says:

Last night I connected my RT to tv to play snes8x, but the games run at half speed when connected to TV. I wonder if something is wrong with video drivers.

abel920 says:

Now if they can only fix the price