Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia updates Network+ again

Nokia buying Medio Systems to improve its HERE maps service

Nokia Lumia 930 confirmed to be coming soon to Ireland on Meteor

< >

Fake render of a Nokia Lumia 1000 provides a laugh but could be awesome

Don’t get us wrong, we know for a fact that this is just a render of a Lumia 900 mashed with the 808 Pureview (back) with an E7 keyboard thrown in. After all, if you’re building your dream phone, why not go all out, right?

The image comes from a Chinese website (http://product.cnmo.com) and it’s actually listed in the database, including specs and everything.

At first blush, that might lend some credence to the idea that this ‘Lumia 1000’ could be real. But things like ship date as March 2012 and an Intel Atom Z2580 betray the truth. (And yes, just to be extra super sure, we asked Nokia who responded with a laugh). The rest of the specs though aren’t too unrealistic: 4.3“ AMOLED display, 1024x768 resolution, 2GB of RAM, 64GB of storage and a PureView camera to boot.

Granted the phone would be massive. As if a 41MP camera with a large sensor wouldn’t be big enough, tossing in a sliding keyboard would be pushing it--not that Nokia couldn’t figure out a way by using different materials (i.e. aluminum), but we just don’t see such a device coming to reality, no matter how awesome it could be. The fact of the matter is physical keyboards are out (ask HTC) and no one is predicting their resurgence any time soon in 2013.

Black slab phones for life, sorry folks.

What do you think--would such a device be the “dream Lumia” for you or would you rather opt for thin and svelte? Sound off in comments.

Source: Product CNMO; Thanks, halamadrid, for the tip

Comments

Usmcbob says:

Nobody cares about hardware keyboards

Says who? I mean I'm not a fan, but there needs to be wp8 devices with keyboards asap. Then my teacher will buy it.

Except for the tiny contingent who want them badly (raises hand). BlackBerry evidently still believe in them ergo Q10. Remains to be seen if it sells though...

Tips_y says:

I'm curious too how the Q10 performs. My first smartphone had a keyboard but 3 months into using it, I completely switched to the virtual keyboard and never looked back.

geoken says:

I think most people have had similar experiences which is why hardware keyboards were once common but are now almost non existent.

AfroPhysics says:

It's a difficult sell since it's portrait.  Give me a landscape version of WP8 w/ keyboard and I'd snap one up for my wife and sister-in-law (It's the only reason she still uses BB).  They both love keyboards.

TESTAMENTU says:

Of course it will. At least it will sell way more than the Z10. Physical Keyboard is practically synonymous with BlackBerry.

Eddie_Lomax says:

I don't know why someone hasn't tried the surface style of external keyboard, it would make a great case/cover too for the screen.
And realistically when I'm sitting down is the only time I really will get a much bigger benefit from a real keyboard, having a stand+keyboard case that I could use when sitting down for office etc makes it far more useable and frees up a lot of screen real estate.

jerrynomenon says:

I like the one like dell venue pro though... If its thin like Motorola razr one I LL love it

thebardsrc says:

myself I still miss mine from my Quantum, and would absolutely on the spot buy one if Nokia made a phone with the pureview and a hardware keyboard

rpm5101 says:

I know plenty of people that wont even buy a phone if it doesn't have a hardware keyboard.

geoken says:

On the flipside, I wouldn't buy a phone if it did have one. The added weight and bulk are completely not work it (IMO).

jcagga says:

Play with the current bold 9900, then tell me if it is a heavy phone.

texrat says:

Except blind people.

UltimateKGB says:

I would have a landscape keyboard, especially if it had a d-pad for games

Wtf I want a fuckn keyboard biotch

For people like me I cannot power text with onscreen keyboards as much as I did with my old Tilt!;)

apocacrux says:

I would buy any high end phone with a physical keyboard be it android or Windows Phone. I've been upset at the lack of available options and I have no interest in owning a BlackBerry.

Quin 2013 says:

I have to admit that it's not a bad idea.
Tilting the phone didn't always make the keyboard tilt(on majority of apps), which makes it more difficult for me to type. I end up fat fingering and its really annoying having to go back to erase it and retype and make the same mistake again and again.
Fortunately, wpc allows me use tilt the phone and type on the larger keyboard.
On the other hand, it uses up the majority of the screen, in which is why I reason to have a sliding keyboard.

The ZennyBoy says:

We certainly know who's wrong now, lol. (Need I add my input?)

Abraham Soto says:

I still care because  when  I use  the screen  keyboard  the screen keyboard  take  to  much  screen  size.. With the  Keyboard  you  got  the  screen  all  for you. I love my  Quantum

nickengineer says:

You mean that, YOU don't care about hardware keyboards. Fair enough. But do not presume to speak for anyone else. I would have loves a HWK for WP8 to replace the excellent 7pro

I have sweaty palms, I would like to get a physical keyboard.

lancguy says:

When I got my g2 I really wanted a keyboard. My phone before that was the behold and I hated that phone. The virtual keyboard sucked. So after using the g2 for two years, I found that I didn't really use the keyboard. I guess I had big fingers and kept hitting the wrong key. Now that I have the 920, I don't even miss a keyboard.

Sam Sabri says:

This would be a dream device for me. Although these days I don't miss physical keyboards as much as I use to. So maybe give me a slightly thinner/lighter device without it.

PolishHitta says:

Has anyone else noticed the Windows 8 logo? This may not be a WP8 device. It may be an actual windows 8 PC

Tips_y says:

WP7 carried that logo.

PolishHitta says:

Wp7 never carries that logo on the device. Laptops do. Well we can all dream a phone like this will exist

Eddie_Lomax says:

A phone sort of like that does exist, the Fujitsu F-07C phone with windows 7 and I think a symbian mode that the user can switch between, Japan only though...

But the image of the phone in the article looks more cut-and-shunt then mashup :) I hope something without the weld lines appears if they do go for that look :)

ivgutier says:

Cool looking phone, but slide out qwerty's aren't for me. Also this phone looks really heavy and thick.

Quin 2013 says:

I wouldn't care if it was heavier, it would be great to be able to use a slide qwerty and be able to see the full screen.

IamDefiler says:

Vertical slider or NO slider!

yellowmage says:

That render has been around for ages. It runs Windows 8 (not Windows Phone 8) and still uses the wavy, flag-like Windows logo.

Dude, we established it was fake, I mean...it's not like we needed any more proof of it or there was much debate. You want to analyze the pixels too? :)

It's more about "What if..." than "OMG This is totally real!".

Talbot690 says:

Yeah, and its fake too!

Half Life 3 Confirmed?

xconomicron says:

That will never happen >  Lord Gaben knows how to troll

Never understood why people complained that the 920 didn't have a 41mp sensor, the 808 is hideous.

Cellus13 says:

Thank you! ^THIS

CJ Thunder says:

You show off the pictures you take, not what you take them on.

xconomicron says:

A mother always loves her child, hideous or not.  The same can be applied to the 808 and/or 808 successor.  xDDDD

conair346 says:

I'd love a Nokia with a hardware keyboard. Gives more real estate for typing on when it comes to emails and messages.
I've never had a blackberry and don't want one - the keys seem exceptionally small and you'd need to concentrate to type. At least with the E7 its was a fairly decent keyboard. As long as the camera on any device with a hard keyboard wasn't FF like the E7 I'd be happy

pazces84 says:

yeah... I'd pass on this device.

RN50 says:

Im no keyboard fan but even if they released one version with it i reckon it would do well and could draw other user into the WP market.

Bleedorang3 says:

This looks horrible

PolishHitta says:

Anyone noticed the WCDMA band on it?

jonathonpm says:

Fun idea but if you are going to put a slider on it, it would have to be a portrait one, that one the top few centimeters could avoid sliding and allow for the thick camera unit while the bottom section slides down.

xconomicron says:

Lol Nokia Germany just did an interview stating that there is no demand for qwerty/keyboard phones.

pewp_taco says:

I don't care for the back tumor.

xconomicron says:

Dude I would so carry a hunchback of notre dame phone if it brought me pictures like the 808. I'm so tired of taking nude photos of myself on the beach that always look grainy.

pewp_taco says:

Ha! The patrons at reddit/r/selfies would appreciate it too.

xconomicron says:

lololol -Sadly, I occasionally navigate to that subreddit from time to time.

goldenpipes says:

Horizontal keyboards made playing she's emulators pretty good. Trying to hold turbo in SMB3 and jump is near impossible on touchscreen controls. I know with android u can pair a Bluetooth ps3/wii/xbox controller to the phone and it works awesomely but makes it less portable, I would love to see hardware keyboards return. Its also great for writing word documents so you can actually see what you see writing on the screen

DJCBS says:

The guy that did those fake Surface Phone concepts has also done one for the 1000. It looks way better than this LOL

Tungsten flash would be really cool, judging from the comparisons I've seen. I guess there's a difficulty with the "flashlight" feature, but it would be worth it to me. Once WP sells well, I think there could be enough market for a physical keyboard device among the lineup.

Aaron M says:

A fake render?  Man I hate slow news days...  Feb 25th can't come soon enough.

xconomicron says:

I know...every tech site I go to has been like this, this past week...Pocketnow seems to be the least trolling out of all of them.

BikerCVG says:

I would jump to a WP8 device with a keyboard. I loved my LG Quantum only to give it up because of lack of updates from AT&T.

sankyaku says:

Shut up and take my money!

cedarlog says:

I would love to see windowsphone with physical keyboard

jabtano says:

make that a 4.5 or higher i'm there....I would love that on a good high end Nokia WP8.

Pavel_Y says:

I personally know many people who would love to buy such phone!

cmcknz77 says:

I'd have that... Camera on the 920 is plenty good enough - Windows Phone 8 with a horizontal slider keyboard would be awesome... I'd tear your arm off...

NIST says:

First thing would be to axe that lame physical keyboard. Or make it a Xbox game pad, smart glass enhanced. Make it run Win8RT. Drop in a quad core and bump up the resolution on the 5.3" super amoled screen to 1080p. Then we'll start talking dream phone. Get crazy and bring back aero for them tiles with a nice little blue underglow when you press them.

smartfonefan says:

I'd love a hardware keyboard again my E7 was brilliant with it and it always amazed people. Its so much easier to text email etc I can't wait for a Lumia 920E

caliborn says:

This phone would be a perfect upgrade to my Arrive...I love keyboards. Makes typing more than a sentence much easier..

HNNNNNGHHH says:

I'm neutral to the physical keyboard. What I care about is the fact that if this is truly what it looks like (knowing this render us fake), I'd wish for a 41 MP pureview phone without that embarrassing hump of a camera sensor protruding from the back. Totally ruins the sleek look.

AccentAE86 says:

The Lumia line is thin enough. I praise Nokia for unique industrial design. The last thing I want is for people to say "that looks like an iPhone". Screw aluminum, coloured unibody polycarb is freakin awesome. Dual shot bodies are freakin awesome. Keep innovating please, Nokia. Keep making phones that stand out.

Tips_y says:

Isn't there a rumor of a Nokia WP phone with 41MP camera called EOS? To house the camera, it'll probably have a similar look. But it won't have a keyboard because Nokia (just like HTC) already said there is no market for phones with a keyboard.

blessthejon says:

I WANT A HARDWARE KEYBOARD. Please.

cRAZY Canuk says:

Bought an 820 on eBay to hold me over till teh 1000's a reasonable price and I'll re-eBay the 820 for it

myrandex says:

Shut up and take my money!!! I don't know what the deal is with phone manufacturers ignoring the physical keyboard market. Survey after survey shows they are desired. If HTC released a GSM HTC 7 Pro with U.S. 3G frequencies, I would be using it today, even over this Lumia 920 sweetness that I'm on now

MDak280 says:

I think a physical keyboard would be nice, but it doesn't belong on a flagship Imo. I personally would rather not have one, but I know others would so if Nokia made mid range or low range WPs with keyboards that would be great! But I don't think they would release a flagship with a physical keyboard.

jhoff80 says:

My ideal Windows Phone wouldn't be running Windows Phone at all, but Windows RT.

Basically it'd be this:  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Samsung_GALAXY_Note_II.jpg/503px-Samsung_GALAXY_Note_II.jpg except running Windows RT (of course, with a phone app added, and maybe some portrait optimization.)  Okay, I'd also rather if Nokia built it instead of Samsung, but that's besides the point. :D

uopjo6 says:

I'm in love with the Lumia's iconic design but they should step away from it a bit with the so called 1000 or it will be stamped as a re-hash, and we only need that label from Samsung.

*May I add a physical keyboard will be nice as an cover attachment, something similar to the Surface. That'll be cool.

Nik Rolls says:

Thin and slick for me. I can handle thicker if it's contoured like the Lumia 920, but I couldn't go any bulkier than that any more.

YetiBoney says:

Absolutely every single WP7 phone uses that logo. That part of the render is just a Lumia 900, like the article clearly stated.

dalascby says:

No offense to this concept, but if Nokia had an ounce of brains their next Lumia should be the FX800 concept...the most beautiful phone that I've ever seen.  In fact, a month or so ago I tweeted Stephen Elop and mentioned this to him and I also suggested calling it the Lumia 1000. Strangely, of the 2 tweets that I sent him, the one mentioning turning the FX800 into the Lumia 1000 was mysteriously deleted a couple of days later....hmmmm!   I've got my fingers crossed!

xconomicron says:

dude, I remember seeing that article at phonearea!

I honestly think that this will be a future design in the works. The rumors of the next lineup of phones sort of push this concept. I would put money down that we will see a design like this at MWC this year.

Waucckhewww says:

I don't mind rolling without a physical keyboard, but give me a Lumia with an Arrive esque 5 row, except throw in a tab key and I'm sold. Otherwise I'll stick keyboard less.

This has given me an idea...

I miss my quantum... :-(

glassadam says:

The keyboard on my Arrive sucked so I never used it. To me it was just added bulk. No thanks. That said, wp8's software keyboard ain't perfect, either, so Nokia can feel free to improve that all they want! :)

Haxcid says:

Ugliest phone short of a blackberry I have ever seen.

graigsmith says:

uh..  terrible.. who goes out of their way to provide a render of a phone no one is interested in.   No wait, seriously, i really love phones that have giant camera parts sticking out of the back, and hardware keyboards that take up space that could be giving me extra battery.
any phone that has a camera that they couldn't fit into the design, and then they had to design the phone to be bigger or thicker, or have a camera lens just kinda sticking out the back like that is just terrible design.  it's like they designed the phone, and then said,.... ohhh the camera wont fit... lets just make it stick out a bit out the back, no one will notice.    STOP this crazyness, no one wants their phone to be thicker where the camera is.

Robzter says:

I would like a really big, bulky phone with a huge battery and extreme specs

mr-mac says:

i'd have a landscape keyboard if it was good.  no need for it to take up much bulk these days.
should be fairly easy to come up with a way for live tiles to turn landscape (know how i'd have them turn already).
nothing wrong with premium features and some options and difirentiation in the market :)

Cj Mitchell says:

Im sorry, but I will not buy a phone that does not have a slider.  I hate electronic keyboards.
and as long as I can get a used phone on ebay I will not get a phone with a virtual keybard.
If they made this phone I would buy it in a hot second... at retail $$$$ no contract...