Skype beta testing new Video Messages feature, leaves out Windows Phone

Skype Video Messages

This week Skype has been rolling out a beta of a feature called Video Messages to users. Basically you can send video messages to contacts that are up to three minutes in length. The internet has had hints of this feature since early December, so you’re stoked to try it out on your Windows Phone right? Nope. No love from Skype for any Windows users – desktop or phone.

In a bizarre move by a Microsoft-owned Skype, Video Messages is initially only available for iOS, Android, and Mac users. That’s right, there isn’t a way for you to create or playback Video Messages from the Skype client for Windows Phone or Windows 8. You can receive those messages, but it’s just a link to play it back online.

Video Messages is still an early beta, but it’s disappointing to not get to try it on out inside the Microsoft ecosystem. Instead, I had to fire up my Instagram machine iPhone 4 to check it out. Sure enough, you’ve got the option to Video Message alongside the options for video calls, voice calls, or sending photos.

Sure, Skype is basically a company within a company, but it’s a bit of a letdown to not see it available to the operating systems of that company it is a part of.

Source: The Verge

Comments

TheJoester09 says:

You say this with quite a bit of certainty. Care to elaborate?

NIST says:

He's baked.

Etios says:

History supports him.

rockstarzzz says:

Microsoft has done nothing, absolutely nothing, that will piss off the carriers. Globally it's done everything it can to please it's carriers, even if this meant that plenty of customers were waiting for Tango until early 2013 (yes AT&T folks) and having Skype baked into an OS will not be a favourite option from carrier perspective. There will be no way Microsoft will be allowed to get away with this. Facetime on iPhone is not cross platform. Skype is cross platform that in it self is making carriers not being able to sell their minutes! Take Whatsapp and other IM clients - in the UK, texts have no value,  they are now gone unlimited on most networks, to lure customers. They will need unlimited internet in near future with such apps cross platform and to use it just like a normal phone call. We aren't ready globally for unlimited internet. Not the carriers.

Risvall says:

Can it be so that MS/skype allready have fixed everything for WP but are waiting for the 15/3 to release the update? But for ios/android everything isent working as it should and is not prepared for the "only skype-messenger" and therefor they release beta but not 4 WP.
I hope thats the case anyway.

WinFan1 says:

i suppose anything is possible. Likely however is another subject entirely.

afgzee says:

Why should they wait to release it if it works. That would be the most idiotic dumb idea if that was the case.

preriz says:

Usually, beta testing is done a smaller group of people. Assuming, iOS and Android users is NOT a small group, the only conclusion i can draw is that they already have something else cooking for WP users. May be this feature is integrated in8.1. I'd give them until MWC to unveil whatever they want to unveil. If nothing comes up, I am picking up the pitch fork against MS. Love is blind and I am about to fall out of love with MS, if shit doesnt start changing soon.
Nothng against any developers. I know this is all management BS!

WinFan1 says:

i sent a tweet to phil spencer of xbox division yelling at them to make new games and he said to me Skulls of the shogun as if that game makes up for ALLLL the games we dont have i hold skype and xbox as well as microsoft as a whole responsible.

afgzee says:

If that is the case, they could have waited for iOS and Android, this could have given Windows Phone a little bit of glitter, something Android and iOS could not do. They need to use what they have more efficiently.

Nimdock says:

Microsoft truly baffles me. I don't understand their strategy at all.. Or lack thereof.

Solo_wing says:

I love my Lumia , but I hate Microsoft so much when it comes to app updates.
I mean come on !
Microsoft owns Skype and the new version won't support WP .
You know what?
Microsoft people have issues .

DaveGx says:

This is the last chance for MS and WP with me this year. They better wow me with the next update and show they actually give a damn or I'm done.

WinFan1 says:

i will continue to use windows for my desktop and will continue to use surface but on the phone front the iphone is looking better and better. nokia is clearly the winner when it comes down to innovative hardware but microsoft is taking too long to catch up on the os front. this is their last chance with me for the phone os. BLUE better wow me...

rockstarzzz says:

Blue shouldn't be as hyped as you are feeling it. Save yourself any further disappointment. Blue is a bunch of updates, not just one. Overnight you won't love WP if you don't love already.

Bilal_Fakih says:

i love the WP8 and i like the UI but man the lack of apps is killing me! I have iPhone 4 and L920 and yes i love the design and UI WP but when it comes to Notification, whatsapp, FB, Viber and News..... its all iPhone and hardly Lumia 920 its because of the stupid delay we get and no Push notification from News apps and lack of apps! I love Nokia for its hard work but MS im disappointed! I just hope the Blue update will fix the issues we have and by the time we have good apps! If not, then im not sure if iwll be with MS and i would love for Nokia to jump ships to andriod and compete with Samsung

WinFan1 says:

Bro I have been with windows phone alot man I've owned almost all windows phone specific to my carrier. I do love windows phone but I just wish Microsoft did too.

Bilal_Fakih says:

i agree with you and how u feel about it! im coming from iPhone and i have everything from there! You are WP user and at least you should have the best apps from MS! Sadly MS needs alot of work to do! lets hope in the upcoming updated the OS and apps will get better

wpward291 says:

More crap WP is done its small things like this that show you we are second class customers to ms. The Skype app doesn't even work for WP now.

Faragondk says:

I find it disturbing that Skype for Windows phone is still in beta, and lacking alot of features. Microsoft should prioritize different if they want to keep their Windows Phone customers.

afgzee says:

The Facebook app has been in Beta since it launched, and no new features have been added to it since 24th May 2012, so i don't have much hope for Skype either.

Etios says:

FUCK YOU MS!!
The skype app on WP7.5 is totally unusable piece of crap and the WP8 version which was supposed to have deep integration is just a buggy BETA. No photosynth too, after all this they cry that developers are ignoring their platform.

jgraves4480 says:

I'm gonna just use my tab line and upgrade back to iPhone til they can get their head out of their u no what! This is stupid. I have to use Skype for work and it just plain don't work on my HTC 8x.

Iskassasya says:

Friggin insane that Microsoft aren't backing their OWN OS? Seriously man WTF?

That iPhone looks seriously outdated next to the Lumia.

Lilleverden says:

Skype works partially, bad ms, bad. They need to do something with development management

So were mad that were not being beta testers for Skype? Why exactly? Let them do the testing and im sure ms is going to have it baked into the os instead, so go ahead, leave and journey back to iPhone, and I'll more than happily wait for what my os will natively do versus an addition to an APP!!

paulxxwall says:

I get ur point but ms needs to pull the stops 100% all the time and with wp8 customers 1st regardless in beta we want it first that's why we went for ms

jonchai says:

Totally disappointed. If Microsoft carries on with this, I'm dumping WP along with the entire ecosystem. Enough is enough. They need a wake up call.

Villain says:

should be no excuses now, used them all with wp7... I feel foolish even defending them. MS shouldn't ever ask why the OS never took off. They put to much effort in the other os's, which is fine seeing there is money to be made BUT seriouslyyy you have suck a great OS with no focus. Should just give Nokia the mobile division and full control.

starting to really regret using my hardware upgrade on wp8

I'm not liking this one bit.  I have to get a new phone pretty  soon.  I'm really on the verge of ditching MS and going to Apple.  If MS doesn't want to show some good will towards us than I'm done with MS.  I wish someone would get MS to comment on this.  I don't care if its beta or what.  It should be on windows phone day and date as the other OS if not before.  The dry spell of games isn't helping either.  This is the 1st time I'm actually thinking of switching over to a new OS.  Theres no way I could recommend win8 phone after this.  Honestly if it wasn't for Nokia I wouldn't be thinking about not leaving.

WELL DONE MICROSHIT I BEING A BIG FAN OF MICROSHIT BUT THIS  SI A SLAP IN THE FACE, I'M GOING BACK TO ANDROID OR MAYBE IPHONE 5 WHERE MY MONEY COUNTS BECUZ IT;S OBVIOUS THAT MICROSHIT DOESNT GIVE A POOP ABOUT US IM SALING MY WONDERFUL LUMIA 920 OR I JUST GONNA USE IT FOR A CAMERA BECUZ WHOS GONNA GIVE ME A CENT FOR A OS THAT DOESNT SUPPORT THEIR OWN PHONE  THATS LAME GOODBYE MICROSHIT

jabtano says:

Why is this so shocking bing was better on ipnone beofre WP7 the list is endless.

travisel says:

What's wrong with all you people? Why so much hate towards Microsoft?

All you people bitching about a Skype App with out all the facts!

SKYPE is going to be intergraded into WP8.1 and no need for a Skype App for Windows Phone 8!

Wait till WMC get your information right! WP8.1 is coming.

THE FACT IS THAT WHILE WE WAIT AVERYBODY ELSE IS ENJOING THE GOODNESS OF SKYPE BUT US AND THATS A MICRFOSHIT'S APP
 MY QUESTION IS WHY THEY BOUGHT SKYPE FOR ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

AAAAAND FOR WHATTTT

OH GOT IT JAJAJA

TO F..........K IT UP

chad08er says:

WP8 was suppose to fix everything that was wrong with WP7,now its the 8.1 Blue update.I think the excuses from Microsoft are wearing thin with alot of users.

Chad A76 says:

The problem is that they weren't given all the facts to begin with. If the info about only having 20 free video messages and afterwards you would have to be a premium Skype member were included, this article would have less than half the comments.

paulxxwall says:

That's still 20 more than we can!

Thomas75 says:

It's allready possible to do this in WP and you don't have to pay after sending 20 messages, so what are you crying about?

paulxxwall says:

How can we? Thru Skype?

msxbox says:

yes lets wait a few weeks for the mobile world congress maybe there will be announcements related to this and other features and hopefully great new hardware too

KEEP ON DREAMING I BEING WATTING FO THAT FOR 2 YEARS AND NOTHING HAPPEN I HOPING THAT WHEN WINDOWS PHONE 8 RELEASE EVERTHING WAS GOING TO BE FIX AND ADD ALOT OF FEACTURES LIKE DELETING MULTIPLE PHONE NUMBER FIXING THE UNIVERSAL VOLUME MAKE PLAYLIST IN THE PHONE ITSELF

this is because Microsoft has several divisions that don't have a unified direction so they are all put to make a money for their division without regard for the company as a hole.

travisel says:

I don't know....but looking back at WP7.0 when it first came out it to was unfinished software OS until WP7.5 & WP7.8!

WP8.0 like WP7.0 is unfortunately both were unfinished software OS with update to WP8.1 will mature Windows Phone like Mango did!

WP8.1 will be on power with iOS6.1 and Android 4.2, BB10.

afgzee says:

and you're so sure about this? HOW? It isn't just the operating system it's the Microsoft developed apps like Facebook, Skype, PDF Reader that are seriously lacking beyond belief. And not just Microsoft apps, but apps from the big players like WhatsApp and Viber, 2 sorry excuses for an app.

longjohn87 says:

Funny... I've been sending Video Messages using Windows Live Messenger for years now... still can too, until they decide to stop letting me use WLM :(

bhinesley says:

Guys, should someone call and tell skype that Microsoft bought them?  I'm not sure they know...

mondokjm says:

I've been patient and chances are if you're following wpcentral, you've been patient, but patience only stretches so far and I'm almost to my limit. I love Microsoft and their products, but this news, for whatever reason is hard to swallow. My smartphone history is a Focus>Titan>L920 in addition to the Surface RT I got on launch day and the two W8 pcs that I have. But is waiting around for windows phone's day worth it? I find myself asking that question more and more as we progress.

paulxxwall says:

Ms can't have its only customers feeling like this the more people disagree the more they want to leave we need wp8 customers to stay and bring more in!!!!!!

AFTER TOMORROW IM GONA  BE AN ANDROID THATS FORSURE I CANT SLEEP OVER THIS SHIT I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE LOOK AT ME LOSSING SLEEP OVER MICROSHIT AND ALL THAT BECUZ I USE TO LOVE MICROSHIT AND I STILL HATE APPLE  BUT SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 THATS THE PHONE IM GONNA BE HAVING TOMORROW

NOKIA DONT GET STUCK WITH MICROSHIT AND JUMP SHIP TURN TO ANDROID YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE

WinFan1 says:

All right the all caps thing is a little unneeded bro we are all upset with the news quit making a mountain out of a molehill.

Skype for Windows Phone 8 is rubbish shame on microshit I'm so so disappointed at microshit.
Man I can't believe they just betrayed us like that after we've been so patient I just can't believe that im sick of my WP after three months when it took. Me years to get like this with crapple

giorgio h says:

Go home microsoft your drunk.

ricocchet says:

Lacklustre support from other app developers I can understand at the moment, but a MICROSOFT developed program exclusing MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 PHONES is just UNNACEPTABLE...

Come on MIcrosoft you NEED to get this WP8 right this time!

I am a fan, but we deserve better, after all we purchased WP8 and put $ in your pockets!

Squadromeo says:

Probably someone high-up at Skype did like the fact that MS bought their company and is now taking the piss out of Microsoft.
I guess MS has got some inhouse cleaning to do....

afgzee says:

I can see the deep integration skype support that is apparently coming soon will be complete crap too, just like the facebook integration.

sdreamer says:

Take away WLM then leave us out of new features for the software they're making us move to.... That's a slapping us in the face.

YOU go microshit don't do nothing for your OS AND do everything for everybody else KEEP ON RELEASING AND UPDATING APPS FOR EVERYBODY ELSE BUT WINDOWS PHONE.

HAHAHAHAHA I TOLD YOU THAT I WAS GOING TO GET ME A GALAXY NOTE 2, NOW I GOTTA FIND THE WAY TO INSTALL ANDROID TO MY NOKIA LUMIA 920 BUT IF I CAN I JUST GONNA USE IT A CAMERA.

FAREWELL MICROSHIT HOPE IN 10 MORE YEARS YOU LEARN FROM THIS AND CLEAN AND ORGANIZE YOUR HOUSE FIRST BEFORE ANYONE ELSE

Sean Davison says:

I don't know how this new feature in Skype works, but the ability to send video's already exists in WP. Is it because it's not branded as "skype" that's bothering people?
MS said Skype functionality will be built into the messaging hub. So while maybe ignoring the updates on the skype app is unaccepptable to some, could it be that this is the reason??

If you can wipe away the shitty tears, and pull yourself away from this complaint session long enough to actually read the article you'll notice that this is actually available to premium users.
So in this long-ass thread of compliants, finger pointing, trashing, and threatening to leave (please do!) I haven't seen many of you actually say YOU ARE A PREMIUM USER!
If you aren't the why don't you try giving the options of STFU a try?

paulxxwall says:

20 free then you have to be premium..all this talk about how Skype is going to work where do we get this info from Skype is an app now "Skype integration " in to os I can't find a final release date. Or what's yet to come for us ..nothing so I wonder where is this "supposed Skype integration"info is coming from is it just wishful thinking?

MDboyz says:

It is because skype will be intergrated into WP OS.  That is why there are only version for Android and iOS.

Jazmac says:

Well said.  I say let IOS and Android BETA test it. Somebody has to work out the bugs and road test it. Why not them?

At best this is really poor communications on MS part, if they are planning a deep integration of Skype.  When announcing the Beta for iOS & Android all they had to to was say we are busy working on a update for Skype for WP which is coming soon, so stay tuned.  Just announcing the iOS & Android betas without mentioning something coming for WP is a bigger problem then not having a new beta release.
Since we know Messenger will be going away soon, & it is currently built into the WP OS, I think it is safe to assume it will be replaced by Skype.  Can this be done without a full fledged firmware update?  If not integrating Skype into the OS will mean a even longer wait for updates then we have now.

This is why customers are leaving to another OS like Android/IOS and that's because MICROSHIT doesn't give a pinch about costumes. That's the difference between MICROSHIT and apple, APPLE LET THEIR COSTUMERS KNOW ABOUT ANY CHANGES IN THE OS THROUGH THEIR DEVELOPERS WHEN THEY GIVE A COPY OF THE FIRMWARE WITH A PREVIEW OF WHAT'S GONNA COME NEXT OR THEY TELL THE IPHONE USERS THAT THEY'RE Working ON A FIX OR SOMETHING NO LIKE MICROSHIT THAT THINKS THAT WE'RE OBLIGATED TO BUY THEIR PRODUCTS AND THEN TELL US YOU BOUGHT IT NOW SIT DOWN AND USE WHAT WE GAVE YOU.

lavo96 says:

Amazing how a story changes between the different Mobile Nations websites.  According to Android Central, this was a beta for only a small number of Mac, iOS and Android users - not all of them.  To me that smells of the beta being a skunkwork project for some fo the Mac devs at Skype.  For those complaining about the beta not being available on WP, this comment from the Android forums says it all:

"It showed up on my phone yesterday and my Skype has been dysfunctional since. Trouble signing in, trouble getting video feed, hang-ups which require a battery pull...
Explain why I don't get to opt in to a beta test, but instead have non-functional crap foisted on me?"

I don't think the Skype division said to themselves we know this is crappy so we won't give it to Windows Phone users, just our competitor OS's.  It may very well be crap but that's not the reason they didn't include WP.
As far as it being terrible on Android with all the ROM, radio & kernel flashing that goes on with Android who knows if the problem is strictly due to Skype.

lavo96 says:

I was more thinking that it was an internal project done by the Mac devs at Skype, and it was released in a small beta to see if it would work (and more to the point, be used).  Its possible that it was easier to plumb in the video message capailbity in the mac/ios/android skype clients than the WP client - and also remove it if it turned out to be a dud that no one uses.  For all we know, Skype might be intergrated into the OS for the next version on WP, which then relies on MS releasing updates for fixes.

Pages