Windows Phone App Review: Thumbz
Thumbz is a photo sharing app for your Windows Phone that allows you to... well... share and get feedback on your photos. Once uploaded to the network, other members can vote up, down on your photo as well as leave a comment. You in turn can rate and comment on others photos as well. You can also use Thumbz as a informal public opinion poll if you include a question in the image description.
Thumbz does have a novelty feel to it but it also has the potential to be a decent photo sharing network. It just needs time and to see it's membership continue to grow.
To participate with Thumbz, you'll need to register (free) and from there the main pages of the app break down as follows.
- Home Page: This is where you can view other member's photos, search Google for images, access your camera or select images from your Pictures Hub to upload.
- Profile Page: Here's where you can add a profile image and your upload/viewing stats.
- Your Images Page: A thumbnail view of images you have uploaded to Thumbz. A display of each images ratings overlays the thumbnail.
- Activity Page: This page displays all your recent rating activity.
- About Page: Your traditional page displaying the developer's information and a feedback link.
- News Page: As the Thumbz app grows and the app is updated, here is where you can find all that is going on with Thumbz.
You don't have to upload images to participate with Thumbz. Just tap the View Images tile on the Home Page to surf through the image database and rate them.
Again, uploads can be of new pictures captured from your Windows Phone camera or already in your Pictures Hub. When you upload the image you will need to give it a description and choose the appropriate category (everything from Art to Sports). If you're seeking an opinion related to the image subject, just phrase your description in the form of a question. For example, if you want to know if a movie is worth seeing upload a picture related to the movie and pose the question. In surfing through the images on Thumbz, "Hot or Not" questions are popular, especially for images of models or actresses. This gives the app a little bit of a novelty feel but some members are soliciting opinions on the image itself as oppose to whether or not the subject is popular or not.
Asides from the need for more participation, the only downside with Thumbz is that all the thumbs up/down and description/question fields can clutter up some nice pictures. It would be nice to have an option to hide all these fields to view the full picture. You also lack the ability to download the pictures for use as wallpapers.
Again, Thumbz has potential and is a interesting measure on others likes and dislikes. Thumbz is a free, ad supported app for your Windows Phone and you can grab it here at the Windows Phone Marketplace.