Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

Skype adds free group calling support for Windows 8.1 Modern app

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Bought new Windows hardware? Trade in your old devices with Microsoft's Buy Back scheme

Microsoft restores control of seized domains to No-IP

Microsoft announces patent licensing deal with Canon

Microsoft busy with Skype-Lync integration and a Lync app

Skype-Lync Integration

Microsoft is due to demonstrate integration between Skype and Lync next week at its Lync Conference held in San Diego.

Microsoft Lync is an enterprise-ready unified communications platform. A business version of Skype, if you will, that connects people everywhere, on Windows 8 and other devices, as part of their everyday productivity experience.

The integration will give Skype and Lync users that ability to contact each other, launch IM text sessions and communicate via audio calls. The integration should be delivered to customers in June with video conferencing integration coming later.

Additionally, Microsoft is planning to release Windows Phone 8 and iOS applications next month for Lync 2013. The apps will allow users to do voice-over-IO and video-over-IP communications. With over five million voice Lync seats sold, the new Lync app and integration with Skype may give Windows Phone a push in the business end of the market.

Source: PCWorld

Comments

mrhoodiny says:

That sounds pretty good, too bad at this point, I do not get a notification on the Skype app to let me know I have a text message

Burasuteru says:

Don't know if this will help you but at first I had notifications on Skype that later mysteriously disappeared. Then I uninstalled Skype and downloaded it again and voila, notifications worked again.

dkp23 says:

its a cycle, happened to me, eventually it works then goes away , rinse and repeat

sholokov says:

If you have too many apps with notifications enabled, the WP OS seems to disable some.

Iskassasya says:

Why does Andriod and IOS work with loads of notifications and WP doesn't? COME ON MS! I have facebook, twitter, whatsapp and WPCentral with notifications anything else doesn't work so had to disable it as a background app - flipping stupid.

nizzon says:

Isnt this a broader problem with WP? The FB-tile on my Lumia 920 almost never updates now, it updated instantly when it was new. On my newly updated Omnia7 it updates really quick (I have been using both phones side by side a few weeks now). My experience the last two years is that after updates or factory resets the tiles and notifications works like they should, but over time things just stop or slow down, its like the system just clogs up.

inteller says:

really not sure why they don't just replace Lync with Skype, or reskin Skype as Lync.

lippidp says:

Lync is behind the firewall whereas Skype is on the outside. Additionally, Lync has seamless integration with other MS business products. Skype is a consumer service for people that don't need the same level of security as enterprises.

FYI... that's not entirely true. Lync has "edge" components that put it outside the firewall for corporate use without a VPN connection. :)

holmesr says:

Well I too thought it was behind the firewall since I was unable to login. Is there some permission that needs to be enabled to allow my access like was required for me to use Exch 2K10?

Skype is vastly inferior to Lync. Lync is what you'd get if you fixed Skype and merged it with WLM's interface.

Anyway, I'm actually thinking of getting a personal Office 365 account just to use Lync instead of Skype.

Fritzly says:

I am almost sure that a personal Office 365 account does not include Lync, the Business version of the subscription surely will.

dkp23 says:

Too bad that skype integration on the wp8 OS is so bad.  Loss opportunity for MS every single day.

Agreed, Skype really sucks on WP.

DarkSpirit58 says:

Now they need to update the Skype app..

vinnyvin says:

Lol exactly what I was thinking, focus on updating Skype

dkp23 says:

they need to rid themselves of a stand alone app and get skype working in the OS properly.  Messages and group chatting go to messaging hub, calls and video calls go through  normal calling process, contacts link up in people hub, notifications coming in on time like regular text, calls too.

The stand alone "integration" was a poor stopgap for MS and Skype and it is a joke it ddidn't work properly.  Notifications and calls do not come through properly and consistently.  It is quite side that a company like MS can not integrate skype after all this time and $$ spent.

Im not saying it is easy, but they need a fire lit on them to get things moving.  This is one advantage over their competitors taht they have and they are clearly dropping the ball.

Letros says:

My thoughts exactly, I was so pumped for this first rate Skype integration MS hyped up...

michail71 says:

Exactly, iOS has iChat and facetime.  A polished skype could be every bit as good and better since it would be cross platform.
It's a mess on WP and lacking in features.

trwrt says:

What you describe is exactly how Skype works on my phone.  My freakin' discontinued, abandoned, and never-really-supported WebOS phone!  It's pretty sad that Microsoft hasn't been willing or able to implement this in WP yet.

theefman says:

Anyone want to bet the ios version is better than the WP one?

tgr42 says:

Ooooh ouch.  Struck a nerve there.

paulxxwall says:

No need to bet you won already

rodneyej says:

If it is then that would be sad... Again!

The iOS version is much superior.

jonathonpm says:

I have the current Lync app on my 920, is it just the WP7 version then I presume.

This is the Lync 2013 client, so presumably it will be designed for WP8... to whatever degree, we can only dream.

JimmyFal says:

I will be happy with Skype when the Skype interface looks and behaves like Lyncs. It's nce to know that 2 years after the aquisition, they are only beginning to get it right. Sigh....

akpeteryu says:

Let's hope they prioritize Skype/Lync integration for Windows Phone as much as they will undoubtedly do for Apple iOS.  Up until now, MSFT is clearly giving more focus and talents to iOS support than their own Windows Phone platform.
Microsoft- please let logic and your own pride prevail!

Integration integration Integration integration Integration integration

walter1832 says:

Developers!
Developers!
Developers!
Developers!
Developers!
Developers!
Developers!

Enough of promises.It's time to deliver stuff to consumers.

Enough of promises.It's time to deliver some stuff to consumers.

prlundberg says:

Lync is such a POS.  Powerful, but a POS.  I hope they don't ruin Skype in the process.

Umm, I think you have that backwards. Lync is fantastic. I hope Skype doesn't ruin it in the transition.

If you think Lync is bad, I'm guessing your admin has jacked up your setup OR you've never used Cisco Jabber, lol.

Skype is a four letter word around these parts...

jkarasch says:

Coming soon to iPhone and Android. Windows Phone when we get around to it.

Windows Phone, the red headed step child Microsoft doesn't want.

kane4fire says:

iOS version will launch a month before WP8 version and be overall better along with regular updates.

CommonBlob says:

Awesome. We are currently testing Lync.. Its great incidently

I am just glad they mentioned windows phone at all along with ios, definitely glad android comes in April after wp8, the more cross platform they make it the better for everyone, no longer will we be tied to a device with specific capabilities, inclusive of some and excluding most. For enterprise, that makes perfect sense and gives them a lot of flexibility in using Lync.

cannon#WP says:

Lync 2013 ONLY for WP8?!?! Come on MS, you can't leave us 7.5/7.8 users behind!!!

They already have.

cannon#WP says:

No they haven't, it's Lync 2010.

diplomat696 says:

They already did LMAO

cannon#WP says:

No they haven't, it's Lync 2010.

MooCoo says:

I have it on my 7.5...

Big Supes says:

I guess we'll have to waiting and see how it works on iOS first...

cashcar1979 says:

Lync is pretty solid at work...Skype is terrible. Would rather MSFT had paid Apple $7B to license a good product like Face Time. What a damn waste of money Skype has been so far for them...

bilzkh says:

The problem isn't the product (e.g. Skype), it's just Microsoft.

paulxxwall says:

Ms owns Skype so its both of there problems but I get it they put them selves where there's money no money in wp8

cashcar1979 says:

I'm starting to agree...there is just little to no focus from MSFT on phones or tablets. Limited apps, poor quality key apps (Skype and Xbox Music & Video), and fragmentation that is arguably worse than Android now - and I specifically point to RT here.

Finally, with tablets they launch a subpar effort (Surface with RT) and attempt to charge iPad level prices....out of touch with reality

afgzee says:

How about getting the Facebook and Skype apps in order before trying to announce any crap! Contract ends on 28th April, thats their final date to get those 2 apps in order otherwise its a new xperia Z for me and bad reputation for Windows Phone.

airwolf878 says:

There's a typo in your title... should be "integration."

diplomat696 says:

How about a whole bunch of things in order e.g live tiles stopping working, notifications hub, the suckage that is Xbox music on wp8, the still lack of first class official apps, Skype....the list goes on. I've used WP since the focus v1 was released but starting to be a tad frustrating tbh.

cashcar1979 says:

Yup...agree 100% and I've been a devoted fan for some time. I thought WP8 would be a leap forward, but it is a lackluster effort at best.

I am very close to jumping ship to Android or iOS (if Apple decides to release a quality piece of hardware...lol)

adrian1338 says:

Please do. Software development takes time. This is not one single person working on everything. there are so many departments included - so many people trying to fix the stuff on their end - trying to understand how skype works - trying to integrate it - testing it - seeing how everything work together with the other development.
how long did it take for ios or android to be like it is nowadays? years!

cashcar1979 says:

MSFT isn't exactly new to the smartphone or OS game...their pace with WP8 is appalling and shows a clear lack of dedication to the platform. I hope things change as I like the UI and Nokia...however I am not confident.

JLP says:

Sorry for a stupid question, but is Lync only for enterprise/business? It doesn't work outside of that right?

welsbloke says:

I use Lync Enterprise but with Office 365 so all in the cloud. I can communicate with other Lync users and with some IM platforms already but we have a lot more control over who we federate with. You can also use the Lync web conferencing tools to host meetings but the attendees will normally have to download some sort of client. I actually like this but need a few things to improve and they are in the next 365 wave update.

welsbloke says:

Lync Voice/Video is whats been missing from my WP since 7 so although Skype is of interest I really just need Lync working on my phone. I am guessing the Office 365 updates and this work may finally make this happen.

kurtd says:

Maybe they should fix wp8 Skype app. Doesn't usually ring or give me notifications. Although it did work one day...

Lync app on windows phone 8 is sluggish, it needs lot of work, I rarely use it because it is soo slow.

surge311 says:

Omg finally!

travisel says:

Since Skype is still in development till April 8/13 IM not going to bitch about it!