Verizon to put some limits on unlimited data

Verizon's second quarter profits soar, highest recorded revenue in six quarters

Smart Rewards program pays you in promotions for your loyalty to Verizon

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

HTC 8X for Verizon picks up small update, no Windows Phone 8.1 yet

Verizon confirms adding support for LTE phones to ALLSET prepaid plans July 17

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Lumia 920 Black

FCC filings foretell of Lumia 920 variant on Verizon

Both the Lumia 900 and 920 have been AT&T exclusives, leaving folks at T-Mobile and Verizon with no way to get their high-end Nokia fix. That’s about to change. Some recent FCC filings make it look like Big Red is about to pick up a variant of the Lumia 920.

FCC filings dug about by Engadget tell the tale of ‘RM-860’ working its way through the legal proceedings to go on sale in the United States. The device carries the LTE bands 4 and 13, which make it sympatico with Verizon customers.

Tom Warren over at The Verge reports that the device has been seen on the AdDuplex network with the same screen resolution of the Lumia 920. Which confirms what we reported earlier with a Lumia 920 like device popping up on AdDuplex earlier today. He also suspects it to be the Nokia ‘Laser’ device we touched up on a few weeks back.

Now will this device make an appearance at Mobile World Congress or nonchalantly arrive on the network? Personally I don’t suspect you’ll see this in Barcelona if it really is just a Lumia 920 variant and nothing ground breaking. Hmm.. now time to daydream of a matte red Lumia 920 running on Verizons network, anybody excited?

Source: FCC, Via: Engadget, The Verge

Comments

Tumultus says:

"foreshadow"? Really?
I thought that word is used if something really bad (get it? shadow - dark) is about to happen.

Sam Sabri says:

Fine you win. I'll change it to 'foretell'. (in my defense it's 1 am here in California :p )

Kooosh says:

Why should you defend yourself? Foreshadow and foretell are synonyms. OP is FoS.

pusta says:

Once you see how bad Verizon messes with this phone (like removing group messaging and adding their Backup Assistant Plus), foreshadowing will make sense. :-)

Nakazul says:

Maybe the exclusive will be a haunted phone? :-) A personal ghost that can help you in your daily life.

TonyDedrick says:

I'm pretty sure foreshadow can pertain to any future that is hinted at by current ones, good or bad.

I wish I had foreshadowed my first wife...

aximtreo says:

AMEN, Brother.

SMMinke says:

Yep, "foreshadowing" is just a literary device used to hint at something yet to come in the future. Though sometimes it is used to hint of "bad" things, often it also hints of good thing yet to come. ;-)

Hiiiiiiiii says:

I don't like the siluet, way too round.
And where is EOS?

tissotti says:

EOS or Catwalk are coming out when there's new WP update that makes them possible.
Just like HTC said that they can't implement HTC One camera to WP because of the restricted camera kernel. We also need support for new SoC to make EOS possible.

Hiiiiiiiii says:

But Titan II surpassed soc limitations byb implementing dedicated hardware chip to process pictures, so theoritecally Nokia could do that too

ladydias says:

Did you mean silhouette? Not trying to insult you, just making sure I understand your comment.

xmarklive says:

How about poor tmobile

WilliamC1972 says:

I'm convinced now, T Mobile, will never get a high end Windows Phone. Sucks!!!! Guess I'll have to get the 8X.

MDboyz says:

I've been with T-mobile for over 7 years, and I have to agree with you on this.
I waited and waited for Nokia900/800 last time.  As for Nokia 920, people said it would come to T-mobile after 6 months exclusive.  But I couldn't wait anymore, so I bought the unlocked one.

WilliamC1972 says:

I was going to buy an unlocked 920, but it doesn't support T Mobiles 3 or 4g network. 2 g only and that sucks!!!! Lol..... What do you think of the 8X? I haven't played around with it yet.

xirsteon says:

I'm assuming your unlocked NL920 is the Roger's variant and i assume it works at least on Tmob 3g correct? I'm considering buying that Rogers one too but I think the price will come down by April or June as newer models get announced.

Rishicash says:

Sure they will. They will get the 920 in time for the holidays.

Lenn Liggins says:

I blame this on Nokia not T-Mobile.   T-Mobile deserves a high end Windows phone and so does Sprint in the future.  Get you customer what they like they will buy, and T-Mobile has loyal customers.

rodneyej says:

Why is the 8x not high-end??

Tom Warrant over at The Verge reports that the device has been seen on the AdDuplex network with the same screen resolution of the Lumia 920

Tom Warren?

kiddj55 says:

I was gonna say the same thing, but like he said its 1am over here in Cali

Dirty! Rotten! Filthy! Stinking!

(showing my age a little)

pitak says:

photo nokia 920 vs htc one vs nokia 808

WinFan1 says:

the 920 and 808 are the clear winners by far.

Forc3 says:

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1905284 Page 19 ;)
Yep its an Lumia 920 Variant for Verizon ;) NFC and Wireless Charging build in. 133 mm tall, 68.9 mm wide(maybe 720 p?) :P Oh and theres also LTE of course :D haha

jabtano says:

I to am on t-mo and have waited and waited...in fact I tweet them every day @tmobile how about a WP8 HIGH END...answer is always the same we are adding devices every week. .yes just not high end WP8. ten years with t-mo time for a change or rather it may be I who changes

mingo3000 says:

I left T-Mobile just to get My Nokia Lumia 920

eshy says:

There are really just two high end WP8 devices and one of them is available on t-mobile.

tbonenga says:

You're absolutely right and absolutely wrong.
They're only 2 High end W8 devices. NOKIA 920 / Samsung ATIV S. Unfortunately neither is on Tmo. Now if you're referring to the HTC 8X that is a mid grade phone. If HTC would've made a Titan like W8 with 32 GB that would be high end.

deloa84 says:

Umm last I checked 8X is high end. Even Microsoft named it as a Signature device. Heck it has a higher dpi than the 920 (342 vs 332) and is sleeker too. That is YOUR definition of a high end device which by the way isn't the only thing that defines a high end device. One thing I can agree to is TMobile needs more awesome phones likes the 920.

tbonenga says:

We agree Tmo needs more W8 devices. I guess high end is different for different people. Most people would say the 8X is a downgrade from the Titan. Just Like the Radar was a downgrade from the HD7. There was a rumor of a Titan type HTC (I think it was zenith) that was without a doubt high end. Have you seen the specs on the One series? They are high end. Unfortunately HTC just threw some color on the 8X and so so specs. If the would've just made a One version for W8 HTC would've had a home run. Samsung did it right. They pretty much cloned the Galaxy 3 with the ATIV S. Now if Tmo would just get it.

jabtano says:

I agree Samsung did do it right. The reason why I say the 8x isn't high end but rather middle range is at 16 gb and 4.3 screen size. it's pretty much the slandered that 4.5 and 32 gb is start up for high end...I whish that HTC did do the Titian WP8 on T-MO I have this odd feeling it would have been a big hit. especially with T-MO pricing.I carry a HD7 and had hoped for something bigger both in screen size and GB.

eshy says:

excited about Verizon? not really, I'm using my 920 on T-Mobile with a 30$/month no contract prepaid plan. I'd have to pay way to much to be on Verizon and even if the service is a little better (I don't really need the nation wide coverage) it's not X 3-4 better.

hey, can you access T Mobile's '4G' speeds using the Lumia 920 T Mobile's Network. That looks my only option.

jfivieght says:

The 920 works on t-mo? Is it 4g or 3g? Details please. Where did you get the phone unlocked, how did you set it up, what plan are you using? Does it really work?

tbonenga says:

If it's At&t its 2G. If he bought a Rogers off eBay ($400-$500) it's pentaband and works on Tmo 3G & 4G. The first batch of Rogers were unlocked. There locked now but a unlock code cost about $25

gerrymad says:

It depends where you are. T-mobile has been refarming its network to allow AT&T customers to bring their iPhones over. I have an HTC 8X from AT&T and I am on t-mobile in San Francisco and I get 4G all the time. More cities are coming on line all the time.

tbonenga says:

With the refarming you'll get 4G in a few areas. Other than that you're on 2G / edge. There is no 3G. Jumping from 4G to 2G is a night and day difference.

sinister1 says:

At this point who cares? I'm using the 822 just fine and it has a removable battery and SD card storage. The only thing that's better on the 920 is the camera, again who cares. Nokia shouldn't had went the way of the iPhone and given the excusiveness to AT&T only.

Verizon never like to pull the trigger on new phones e.g Razr and iPhone. What if this one comes with 64GB and free Nokia  bluetooth headset

cdbstl76 says:

You truly believe only the camera is better?! What about the screen? And the camera being better is no small difference.

SmoothDog says:

I was on Verizon and considered the 822, but switched to AT&T for the 920. The camera and screen were what did it for me. I take a lot of videos and pics and the 920 has no comparison. The screen is great when it's ten degrees out and I can keep my gloves on. Why this isn't seen as a big differentiator for Nokia still baffles me?

Twice Born says:

Yay!  This is what I've been waiting for.  While the idea of mystery phones being revealed at MWC is exciting, I've been wanting the 920 on VZW since it launched on ATT.  I don't care that it won't be the best thing, I love the look, feel and camera of it.  I'm sold once it hits the shelves.

hopmedic says:

Elop said "amazing things" for Verizon. There had better be something better coming, because there's nothing "amazing" about a six month old phone. I'm having flashbacks of a seven month old Trophy coming to Verizon......

Twice Born says:

Just looked at the picture from the FCC filing.  It looks like VZW had Nokia round off all the edges, boo.  Curse you VZW.

What page has the picture? I can't seem to find it.

jbwingsup says:

Lets hope this phone comes soon cause I need that in my life

xkirax says:

Wow fail on Verizon and Nokia lol we get a mid range phone as the big news and yes it is min range the thing is 6 months old I need to go to att

theefman says:

I guess they better cancel it then, right?

theefman says:

There's just no pleasing you elitist Verizon users, you moan that you didn't get the phone now it looks like its coming and you find something new to moan about. If you want the latest phones so badly grab an android, that way every 2 months you can get the newest latest and greatest and continue feeling superior.

xconomicron says:

I was kind of thinking that as I was sifting through the comments, but that feels too harsh to say IMO.
People need to realize that it's a big surprise (to me at least) that Verizon is even carrying WP. Their phone lineup is cannibalized by Android...and the iPhone. Its been like this for the last 4-5 years now.
Coming from a business standpoint, that doesn't really give optimism that a high end WP will do "well" in sales on Verizon. I could see why Nokia and Verizon waited to see how sales were on AT&T with the 920 than pushing it out to other carriers. -even though Nokia gets more $ through subsidies with exclusiveness. Anyway...

Metaru says:

I work at Verizon's largest premium retailer, our location is an anomaly but we've sold more 822s than any single android model since they launched.

Residing says:

+1, theefman.

Before I saw this post and the one at The Verge, I thought, "Those people that complained about not having the Lumia 920, probably won't even purchase the variant even if it comes to Verizon"!

i don't think that they are elitist though; they can't be even though Verizon is the largest U.S. carrier.  AT&T is the 'Elite' carrier because they have been the only carrier to fully support WP since 2010, and Nokia made the right choice in giving the best Lumia (the 920) to AT&T first.  Verizon chose to be reticent with regards to WP, and thus they will always be 'behind' or get 'the best' last when it comes to Windows Phone.

Sorry Verizon customers - you either wait for the high end Lumia's, move to AT&T in order to get them first, or just settle for another OS.

SmoothDog says:

That's EXACTLY why I left for AT&T. Thanks for saying it so clearly.

Twice Born says:

I love the specs of the 920...but I was really wanting VZW to get the 920 in all it's glory, including the design.  This looks like it will have stylings similar to the 822.  Though I kind of looks like it will have a removable battery which is nice.

xkirax says:

How are we being elitist I got the 822 right now love the phone, but seeing how we are getting a 6 month old phone as our new flagship. It looks bad we are playing catch up and instead of catching up we fall back

xconomicron says:

And once again, I have to reiterate that this is Verizons fault. Not Nokia's. Had Verizon been more supportive with WP since 2010, we probably would be seeing more WP's on the carrier. Instead they decided to saturate their phone lineup with Android...and iPhone. Just look at the comments above this one. They explain it perfectly...

I'm excited. I will definitely pick this up when it's available. My better half has the 822 and it's silky smooth. I shake my head and toss my middle digit, at you spec shores while cupping my balls. You people are the reason for high phone prices.

Been on tmo since 08. Jumped on WP with the hd7 and have been hoping, and getting shafted, that a L900 would come around. The 820 looks good, but Tmo wants down payment then add the rest to monthly bill. I am not the monopoly guy. And screw att and Verizon for getting all the high end s***.

LaNiQuE says:

Sam you had me at matte red I'd love to see that ... But like I've said before id love if the 920 were on all carriers matte yellow sprint and matte magenta for tmobile

Kreets says:

I would like to second the idea of a yellow 920 on Sprint!  That would be my next phone for sure!

smontoya2 says:

I definitely need an upgrade. The 822 is great but was hoping Nokia & Verizon would introduce the aluminum design device but seems once again ATT gets the exclusive. I'll take the 920 variant but how long before we get to have another Nokia option? 6 mo into our two year contract? Patience is a virtue if your waiting for the next top WP device on Verizon.

DavidinCT says:

Not sure if I am happy about it or not. If this happened months ago, it might be different. Like Verizon getting GSM phones over the years, after they get them, they are old news. I waited over a month and ended up getting a 8X, my biggesst hate about this phone is it's space limitations.

A Verizon 920 needs to do something very special, MicroSD card, better display, better camera, etc to impress me any bit the upgrade to 32gb is not enough for me. I guess people who's contract is ending soon should be happy about this,

I'm not under any contract with my 8X but, if I was to replace it, it would be have to be really, really worth the upgrade.

To be honest with you, after the few months now, is it too late for a new Windows Phone 8 device ? Shouldnt people who upgraded to a WP8 device be looking forward to 8.5 or 9 devices (And I am sure after Windows 8, 9 will be out sooner than later from what i have read)...

I guess time will see...

Residing says:

Hmmm.  So NOW you're saying it needs to do something special, because I recall your comments from months ago that you simply wanted the Lumia 920 on Verizon - nothing more or less.  Everyone is entitled to change their criteria, of course :)

Verizon will never get the flagship Lumia before AT&T; not ever.  So, Verizon customers, who are WP fans, need to accept this and NOT complain about it, get an alternative device on Verizon, or move to AT&T if you want the Lumia flagship when it's initially released.

Killstardo says:

I like how you're telling people to not complain about something they have every right to complain about. You must be on AT&T. People like you are the reason this OS won't grow.

DavidinCT says:

Waiting for a rumor or getting a current device is a different story. A 920 on Verizon is old news now. A few months ago, I would of gone after one but, personally, with having a WP8 device now (8X), If I am to upgrade, it will be for a WP 8.5 or 9 device.

To me, a 920 on Verizon now is too late,,,,

And I did say I wanted a 920 on Verizon, a few months ago. Also, just becuase it hit the FCC, does not mean it will be released next week or anything...

stephen_az says:

You are neither foreshadowing nor foretelling, just engaging in idle speculation. Nokia may have something making its way through FCC but that does not mean a carrier has picked it up. If everything sent through FCC had a carrier attached there would be things like a 4G Blackberry Playbook for sale in the US.  Yes, that example was intentionally chosen since it demonstrates that even the most useless and derided products go through the process. It is just a necssaary step twoards being able to sell a product in the US. If people were to really to spend time looking through all FCC filings they would find lots more devices of which they have never heard (and never will in the real world).

I like how many are jumping to conclusions on the specs and form of this device when none of this has been released yet.

paulsnyder90 says:

I thought we were promised "exciting things" for Verizon "soon" from Elop.  A device just "non nonchalantly" appearing on the network is not exciting and will not attract too many new customers to WP8, Nokia, or Verizon.
If it's just an exact Lumia variant with nothing new about it whatsoever, then forget it.  That would have been exciting news a few months ago but not now.  And will be even less exciting if we have to wait 3-4 more months to even get a hold of it.
I have been holding onto an upgrade since October to switch over to a high end WP Nokia device on Verizon.  I refuse to wait much longer.  If we "can't expect" this to debut at MWC, then when will it?

Great... so looks like only we in TMO will be left out in the cold.  Seriously... bigger battery and higher res screen for the 810... That's all.

Sam Sabri says:

I'm on T-Mobile too, someday they'll get a high-end Lumia...someday :'(

mwright53 says:

I've had the 822 for over a month now and have been 100% satisfied. I see no reason to pine over the 920 variant coming whenever. I'm happy with this fine phone.

DavidinCT says:

I guess we all wait to hear Verizon and Nokia to talk at WMC this week, I am sure but the end of the week most of it will be told.

Kenster1 says:

Check out this Q&A with an AT&T Exec:
Goes to show the love and partnership they're feeling for Microsoft and W8 Phones and so no wonder Nokia has warmed up to them first as it's a 2-way relationship.  Verizon has barely shown any interest in Windows Phones and so of course they're going to be the go-to carrier to get their hands on high-end flagship devices.
I'm also with Verizon but looking to switch to AT&T soon pending the outcome of what we find out from this huge Mobile event in Barcelona.

VinomX says:

Exactly this. I waiting to get my first phone, and I want to be on a trustworthy network (i.e. Verizon). If Nokia doesn't announce a Verizon variant of the L920, then I'll be heading off to AT&T.