makerbot machine

Nokia and MakerBot team up for 3D printing live at MWC

Here’s something very cool at the Nokia MWC booth. The guys from MakerBot are here with Nokia’s Lumia 820 case reference design and they’re printing cases for the device right here on the show floor.

3D printing is still in its infancy, but MakerBot’s designs are looking really funky, making us all wish for a future where we can print out our own cases on a whim (I’m thinking day of the week cases, who’s with me?).

There’s not a lot more to tell you in words because really, you need to see the exhibit for yourself. Check out the picture gallery below as well as a short video demonstrating a brief section of the hour long process.

makerbot 820 3d printing

makerbot 820 3d printing

makerbot nokia

makerbot 820 3d printing

makerbot 820 3d printing

Comments

Cool, Nokia always embellished in customizing.

Ajmcbsat says:

Are those things even durable?

MotoFredP says:

I've had one on my 820 for a few weeks now, and have even dropped it a few times. Seems durable to me. And if I break it, I can just print a new one. Love it!
Fred

Apoc says:

Very, very nice!!!

Talbot690 says:

It would be cool to see some tablet size printable case. I wonder if they could do that or if its strictly small thing like phones

Cleavitt76 says:

Many 3D printers (even the hobby level ones) have a working area about the size of a typical tablet.  So yes, it would be possible for tablets too.

BobcatRidge says:

Anyone know how they make the holes on the side of the case for the buttons?

SirKneeland says:

The holes are automatically built into the print. Neat, huh? :)
-John @ Nokia

BobcatRidge says:

John, thanks for the response!  Sorry I guess I still not understand.  I have made the assumption that new material is only being deposited vertically, like an inkjet squirts ink down on a piece of paper.  Is that a correct assumption?  If that is true there would be no way to close the top of the vertical holes once the printer has laid down the bottom and sides of the hole.  I hope that makes sense.

sholokov says:

You need to read up on this. It is layers of 2D printing. Holes only mean that in some layers, you don't print. It is completely automated and read from a CAD model.

Cleavitt76 says:

There are some limitations in terms of what size gap can be bridged over a vertical void, but small gaps can be closed.  Larger vertical gaps would require the void to be closed by sloping the sides inward until they meet, which may take quite a few layers.  The gap size that can be bridged depends on serveral factors such as the material and layer thickness.

Smidgerine says:

OMG, I would love to have one with a big UK (University of Kentucky symbol) on the back.  I could probably sell more 920s than I already have if some of my friends saw that.

Gmotagi says:

Realistically these are only good for prototyping before you send it off to India to be mass produced. The cool thing is that in 20 years time well have a desktop version that can make the actual phone internals as well :)

sholokov says:

For now, it is only one material.

PSRBF6 says:

Since my phone is always slipping out of my fingers; I'd get a Dunlop car tyre tread printed onto the back of my case. Hahaha

shantelle09 says:

Within only a few years a substantial proportion of the world’s population has adopted a new technology that involves placing a small radio transmitter up against the head, in some instances for hours a day. - TexasLending.com