AlphaJax update misplaces user stats and games - fix on the way

AlphaJax update stat loss

AlphaJax is quite the popular Xbox game for Windows Phone. Much of that stems from its relatively smooth asynchronous online play, though the game being free certainly helps. Before AlphaJax graduated to Xbox Live status, it was originally a popular indie game. The transition to Xbox Live introduced a few bugs, which we’ve all been hoping would be fixed with a patch.

Good news, bad news time! The first update for AlphaJax has finally arrived. Now for the bad news: the developer recommends that you skip this update. Full details after the break.

Before we talk about what went wrong, let’s look at the issues that this update actually fixes.

AlphaJax version 1.1 release notes

• Fixes a chat icon bug in which the new message icon stayed on after messages had been checked
  • Alignment issue in the my stats page where positions were hidden is now corrected
  • Some achievement glitches should now be fixed.
  • Users can now opt out of random and/or skill match requests.

All welcome improvements. However…

Critical failure

Unfortunately, while the update went through testing as planned, the actual publication didn’t go so well. Somehow on Microsoft’s end, the patch went up with an incorrect configuration file. Basically, the version that got pushed to users is meant for testing but not actual consumption.

As a result, users running version 1.1 don’t have access to their pre-update in-progress games or even their stats. The update resets a user’s ranking to 1000, making it look like all progress has been lost. Considering how long it’s taken me just get to get to 1240 (the ranking system is so busted in general), my glasses almost shattered when I saw my rank sink back down a couple hundred points.

Help is on the way

Fear not, crossword enthusiasts. Microsoft and developer Marker Metro are aware of the error and have a version 1.2 update in the works to restore things to proper working order. Users who have installed the tainted update will see their games and statistics restored once they grab the second patch. As for players who haven’t downloaded version 1.1 yet, don’t! Skip it and hold out for the next patch so that you can continue playing as normal.

Abridged dictionary

AlphaJax dictionary missing words

In the time that has passed since our Xbox Live AlphaJax review, I’ve become aware of a new issue affecting the game. Specifically, the dictionary leaves much to be desired. Early on, I noticed that afro, emo, and vias (plural of via) aren’t found in the game’s dictionary. But the most egregious omission is the world email! Come on, nobody has spelled it as e-mail since well before Windows Phone 7 even launched. Considering the game’s reliance on the internet to work, it should absolutely have as essential an online word as email.

There is an Xbox.com thread for users to submit words they would like to appear in the game’s dictionary. But when we contacted the developer, our contact couldn’t confirm whether a dictionary update will actually take place in the future. Let’s hope so, as besides the silly ranking system, the dictionary is the next greatest impediment towards long-term enjoyment of the game.

AlphaJax is a free download – grab it here from the Windows Phone Store. If downloading prior to the version 1.2 update, be aware that your version 1.1 stats and games won’t be retained after the update.

Thanks to Kshitij for alerting us to the update problems! Photo courtesy of The People's Marketing.

QR: AlphaJax

Comments

eric12341 says:

I thought the update would've enabled WP8 capability and fix the notifications so I jumped at it and came to shock that everything was gone. I told everyone I was playing with to resign the games. Good to know a fix is on the way. That was fast.

Paul Acevedo says:

WP7 games can't have WP8-specific updates - that would require completely rewriting the game for WP8. So don't expect any existing games to get WP8 graphical upgrades as it's just cost prohibitive.

eric12341 says:

That's understandable given today's economy. I can deal with it I guess, not bad for free.

Lasciviouss says:

You have problems with notifications too? I thought it was just me.

onysi says:

The word "LES'' cost me a game, causing me to lose my winning streak.  it was fine on the original version.  Dang.

Milk21 says:

Since the update I can't see any of my ongoing games under the "Their Turns" section....
Edit: oops, sorry Paul,missed that bit thought it was just the stats affected.

Paul Acevedo says:

Yep, that is a known issue mentioned in the article. ;)

Talbot690 says:

I dont want my stats to be fixed... They were awful. Clean slate :)

IceCake says:

I just went back to the market place after installing the failed at update, saw an "update" option there, clicked on it, all stats and ranks restored. Try this if you haven't, worked for me. ;)

Milk21 says:

Yep, I just got the second update as well and everything is now AOK.

drunkard says:

I wondered why all day today, about 10 people have started games with me, and I guess it is because we are all ranked the same.

ebradley says:

I had 4 updates. My settings across many apps get trashed. Even this one. I hope 1.2 makes things all better.

jcutting says:

Sadly, I saw an update and thought "cool!" and installed it. Later, I checked my games because I knew it was my turn in several and nothing... major suckage. The second update can't come quickly enough.

I got a second update right after that fixed the issue, but my wife's phone didn't. Weird...

pepsijosh says:

Oh damn it! I should have looked on here before updating, I deleted & re-downloaded the app...I hope that doesn't make it worse =/ I was on about 1250 like half way there to getting the achievement lol.

pepsijosh says:

Its all good...I just got the update, it restored my previous games =D

At least one good news: after this update this game is now available in the Brazilian WP Store.

wpguy says:

Don't install 1.1, now you tell me. Oh well, maybe after 1.2 is available the clods who haven't played their turns in two months will wake up and play.

Paul Acevedo says:

You can just force people who haven't made a move in over 7 days to resign. No need to let those games clog up your list. :)

200 matches so far and I'm stuck on 1400. I'm really tired of the botanic and chemist jargon which smarties get when they enter their letters on a website. It sucks.
And about the update: there hasn't been any here (Vodafone Spain). Let's play fair, guys.

Downloaded update around 12pm EST, saw this at 5pm EST.

Un/reinstalled now it find connect to Xbox live.

Edit: connects fine on data but not WiFi. All played games and stats are there.

Raylz says:

That update screw my game matches ugh.

Bob101910 says:

Thought I was the only one not moving in rank. Want the achievement for getting to 1500 without boosting.

elangab says:

1.2 went live, just updated and games\stats restored.
(weird thing, it's still listed as 1.0 on the "About" page)

ExcaliburII says:

They have changed it back to version 1.0

Murgatroyd7 says:

Wait...what?  I thought "e-mail" was still the most common way of writing it...

Paul Acevedo says:

Sure, in 1997 it was.

tylerh1701 says:

I got lucky that the most glitchy achievement unlocked for me without a problem.  I don't think I'll be going back to this game any time soon, just not my cup of tea.

Warren Dance says:

I have an update in my store listed as 1.2, this safe to download?

ssapre says:

That looks good. I skipped 1.1 and directly went to 1.2 today, which works good with me. It says latest change date as 02/28.

wpguy says:

My experience with the corrected update has me ready to, for the first time ever, beat my phone into a metallic pulp with a hammer. The store showed update ready, but tapping update does nothing except tell me there is no update. Uninstalling and reinstalling still gives me no games and a store with a useless update button. As a professional developer, I get it that sometimes excrement happens. But I am increasingly frustrated and tired of being patient with Microsoft's f-up after f-up. This coming from someone who loves where they appeared to be going on all fronts, and encouraging friends and family to buy Microsoft product. Really feel like I should keep my mouth shut and let the people who ask for my advice to go buy whatever the idiot clerks tell them to buy from now on. Dammit, Microsoft, get your sh-t in a pile already.

Bob101910, I didn't find you in the game by that gamertag. Send me an invite if you wish.

ghendric says:

I got an update last night for Windows 8.1 and it wiped out all the Alphajax games I was playing and all the history. Is there a patch to bring those back? If so, where can I find it?