Asphalt 7 for Windows Phone 8

Asphalt 7: Heat races onto Xbox Windows Phone 8 with realtime multiplayer

While Microsoft and its partners haven’t exactly announced a ton of Xbox games for Windows Phone 8 so far, the same can’t be said for Gameloft. Back in October, the mobile game publishing giant announced a whopping 12 games specifically for Windows Phone 8. These titles rely on the new mobile handsets’ extra horsepower and most would be impossible to port accurately on our beloved Windows Phone 7.

It’s been a long wait, but the first Gameloft Windows Phone 8 game is finally here: Asphalt 7, the arcade-style racing game. That’s right, a non-Angry Birds Windows Phone 8 game! Who’d have dared to imagine such a thing? In case that didn’t knock you right out of your office chair, it even has…. Real-time online multiplayer! I don’t mean asynchronous: this is the for-real deal. Ho-lee crap, I just had to fetch my socks from across the room. And did I mention Asphalt 7 is priced to sell?

Head past the break for details! We'll have a video soon too.

Who needs 6?

Asphalt 7

Asphalt 5 was a functional but poorly balanced racer on Windows Phone 7. For Microsoft’s new mobile OS, Gameloft has wisely decided to skip part 6 and jump straight to the latest series entry, Asphalt 7: Heat. It is once again a fast-paced, easy to play racing game that doesn’t get bogged down with too many simulation aspects.

Asphalt 7 features the most detailed 3D graphics in an Xbox Windows Phone game to date with stunning cityscapes, beautiful colors, and lighting effects that rival a JJ Abrams movie (I kid). Just like its predecessor, the cars are fully licensed and rendered in lavish detail. Some of the more desirable makes include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and even the DeLorean.

As a result of the complex graphic engine and the game’s wealth of content, it clocks in at a whopping 878 Megabytes. And it requires 1GB of RAM, so devices with only 512 MB such as the HTC 8S, the Lumia 620, and the recently announced Lumia 520/521 will not be able to run the game. That’s a drag, but graphically intensive games would struggle with the tiny 150 MB of RAM that is allotted on those low-memory devices.

Multiplayer, what!

Asphalt 7

It looks like the increased level of hardware access in Windows Phone 8 finally allows the inclusion of real-time multiplayer (Pool Pro Online apparently only simulated it). Since the game just came out and takes a fair bit of time to download, we haven’t been able to test its multiplayer in action yet. But it does appear to operate with Gameloft’s own servers as opposed to Microsoft’s servers, so users will need to create their own Gameloft accounts to hop online. That’s actually very encouraging since the multiplayer features in games like Carcassonne have been terrible on the whole.

Check out that sticker price

The arrival of a hot game like Asphalt 7 (complete with online multiplayer) is wonderful news for Windows Phone 8. It looks like Gameloft (possibly with Microsoft’s input?) is serious about making sure Asphalt 7 sells, too. It costs only 99 cents, just like the iOS version. There are optional PDLC micro-transactions, but they aren't needed to simply enjoy the game. If you’ve got a Windows Phone 8 device with enough RAM and storage space to run it, you might as well skip the test drive and give this one a buy.

Get Asphalt 7: Heat here at the Windows Phone Store. As usual, the link may take awhile to show up in your Store. Just try again later.

Thanks to Jey Si for the tip!

QR: Asphalt 7

Comments

Lol didn't I mention that ;)

lucktr says:

Thanks a lot, guys!

Thanks for sharing.  Shrink Storage was able to remove 10MB from my Nokia 810. Now it has 0.8GB storage available. lol
MS needs to allow us to move and install apps/games to microSD. I really want to give MS my money, but with space  and file restriction, it appears they don't want it.

I deleted all maps in Here/Nokia nav and only has 1.21GB free space.  What the hell is "other"?  It takes up 2.34GB.
I love WP as much as the next person, I purchased WPs since the beginning, but MS pisses me off with things like this.

morpheus1982 says:

Download via the web market place! It bypassing the storage space checks!

lucktr says:

Thanks, mate. Great suggestion!

Auric Jarrel says:

Error message came after spending my money. Tried going to the web marketplace and it still won't download to my phone even after it says it did.

t3chnick says:

Finally got it downloading. Download thru web, phone said attention required, error 8000ffff, rather than tapping attention required, hold it and u will get a cancel download option, back to web, purchase history and click reinstall, booyaka!

Nakazul says:

Working now. Just tryes it and graphics is good, but FPS is a bit low. :-\

Andromes says:

I had no problems with downloading that game. Game play perfectly smoothly ;) Great game!

jlynnm350z says:

How is the multiplayer? Anyone try it out? How can you guys tell the fps.

jayrod213 says:

The multiplayer is awesome. Really smooth. You can have 6 racers all together in a single race.

hungelt2012 says:

This game sucks as asphalt 5 dose, in terms of FPS.

For Christ sake..... 7 years of this "Other/Reserved" space problem crap. GET OFF YOU DEAD ARSES, MICROSOFT, AND FIX THIS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

Lmao. I had 1.2 GB free (because I have 10.6gb in OTHER). I attempted to download this and it told me I did not have enough space. The kicker? I now have 786mb left. I lost over 400mb just by unsuccessfully trying to install this. How the hell can Microsoft continue to let to many issues a d massive bugs go on for so long???? This is getting embarrassing.

AT&T L920, downloaded and installed just fine on the first try from the Store app on the phone. Repeat, zero issues. Can we dial back the wailing and gnashing of teeth a little bit?

+1 but up until 30 min ago wasn't available in Dallas, att Lumia 920

Silent Night says:

Am I the only one that says it doesn't support my phone? I have a Lumia 822 and when I go to it in the marketplace it says it doesn't support my phone. In the reviews section someone said it was working fine on their 822. WTF?

I had that issue with my l920, I think Microsoft is having roll out issues due to insane demand, I would try in a bit, when I checked an hour later the phone store was working properly

Silent Night says:

Yeah the only way I can get to it is by scanning the code up there and when I do it has tons of 5 star ratings but it says no ratings and shows no stars overall. Guess I'll wait for them to officially post it on the marketplace.

Was able to download from my home WiFi, Dallas l920, I would just keep trying gl!

willied says:

Download it from the WP website on your desktop or laptop.

TrustySnooze says:

This only makes me want to upgrade to WP8 even more.

willied says:

I know it's blasphemous, but I don't find this game to be very much fun, and I love racing games. There is no challenge to this game since you don't have to brake around corners.

Perhaps just the first few levels, too bad though, how about multiplayer?

willied says:

I've only played the trial and it doesn't allow multiplayer. I'll give it another shot, but it's not looking good so far for me.

joeynox says:

Says its not available anymore

Hey Paul I just won against you in a 3 part multiplayer game :-) Seems to run quite okay so far. Fun race man!

paras chugh says:

can it do cross platform multiplayer ?
@paul u got served !

Paul Acevedo says:

Nice job! I'll try to get some practice in soon. :)

phatboy66 says:

Anyone in Canada got the game?

ttsoldier says:

Well I got an unlocked Rogers 920 and its saying device not supported..

TerryBakerII says:

Same Issue here. Non unlocked AT&T Lumia 920, says "This app is not available for your device"

lucktr says:

HMk, Nokia 810 here w/32gb of useless microSD storage, because WP8 does not see it for apps...so frustrating. I used shrink storage app to gain phone storage and even w/4.07gb freed space it is not enough O.O. That's definitely frustrating! Almost wanna go back to flip phones now @_@

operand says:

I was able to install with exactly 4.25 Gb free if that helps.

"This app is not available for your device". WTF?! Samsung Ativ S here.

cyon921 says:

I have a Lumia 920 but the Store is telling me it's no available for my device? Can anyone tell me why?

Carchathoth says:

Bought this one right away. 0,99e is cheap price for it. Works just fine with my lovely Lumia 920!

jesserrod says:

Was able to download onto phone from windowsphone website

I think I played against you

What a sick game. Just played multiplayer and this blows out all the crapware games out there. Worth the 99 cents for sure, buy buy buy

TechAbstract says:

Great game for cheap. Gameloft makes console quality games. They need to bring more WP8 games.

hungelt2012 says:

How on earth can you guys say 2x fps means smooth?

Guitarpik says:

Ugh, just went to download this and it said I needed to free up space. Deleted a couple big trial games and went back to download and now it says its not available for my device (920).

Windows phone is really starting to piss me off.

L920 here.  The game is pretty awesome especially for a buck.  Can't wait for Gameloft to release more games for WP8. Controls a lot better using the wheel on the phone screen.

contributorM says:

Ok, so I pay for this app from the store, and now I can't download it because its not available on my device? What the fing f!!!!

jgbstetson says:

Well, looks like I just made a donation to gameloft. Can't free up enough space to install it, only enough for Microsoft to accept payment. Only a buck, but this is effing ridiculous. And no, I'm not going to reset my phone.

TechAbstract says:

Download from windowsphone.com if you guys have problems installing it. I guess it's still rolling out.

tjecco says:

this is going to be one of those record sales for a wp Game

kpfogey says:

Bought the game for a buck and played it for a little while.  Decent graphics and gameplay.  But my Lumia 920 gets mad hot and noticed the battery going down even while it was plugged in charging

mitixx says:

I think 1 GB for any Gameloft game is too much... it's not RealRacing.
They almost never updates their releases with new contents.
They point everything on the graphics, with always super easy games (gorgeous to see, but nothing else - bad story, bad controls).
On iOS there is always a video that start with their apps, I wish they would let me delete it to free some space! Or at least stop the autoplay.
Plus as other pointed out it's already an old game, only good point is the price & multiplayer (anyway it was free for a few days on iOS). Maybe they'll continue with future new releases.

Murgatroyd7 says:

Yay, another game I can't play on my phone!

tyrok says:

This is a bit ridiculous. Finally got it to download by starting it from the website. It gets to the "installing" stage, notifies me that the memory is low and the download restarts.

Bhagi108 says:

Why is it not installing on my att L920?   ... It says I need a software update.

Cordanim says:

Not available for my device (Samsung ATIV S)...boooo :-(

nasellok says:

PLEASE GAMELOFT - PORT TO WINDOWS 8 RT SO I CAN GET MY RACE ON WITH MY SURFACE!!!!!

tylerh1701 says:

Will definitly pick this up when I get a WP8 from Sprint....assuming that's actually ever going to happen.  Oh, and I guess I'll need to make sure my phone has enough RAM to play it as well.

sheldork says:

Who needs 6? Really?
We'll soooner than you'll realize have 8 out & we'll end up saying we paid for something that is old already, because the same company launched the next version of the game.

Pages