Box ‘doubles down’ on Windows 8 and Windows Phone with new software updates
Although a lot of folks in the Windows Phone ecosystem may opt for SkyDrive for their cloud storage, there’s no doubt Box (www.box.com) has a compelling service as well (especially if you nabbed those free 25 or 50GB of storage offers).
The company has pushed out dual updates today for both their Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps, bringing their new file-preview technology to both and allowing users to peek in their files without opening them. In addition, each app received some personal attention too for general improvements.
The file-preview technology is evidently very popular as it was introduced on Android and iOS recently. According to Box:
“The real value of preview technology on a Windows Phone or Windows 8 device is in our unique ability to show previews of 75+ file types – the only app capable of this in today’s marketplace. We’re going far beyond the typical Word document or PowerPoint presentation. Ever wanted to see an AutoCAD file on a mobile device? Or an Adobe Illustrator file? With Box, it's all possible—no need to open other apps or spend time downloading the file.”
Indeed that is quite a useful feature. Platform specific changes are the following for today’s updates:
For Windows 8:
- Built a navigation bar (swipe from top) for a quick way to get to your All Files home, Updates and more.
- Improved the spacing and utility of the semantic zoom functionality.
For Windows Phone:
- Added support for Office documents and PDFs to open directly in Microsoft Office.
- Designed a new wide cycle tile; pin our Live Tile to your Start screen at the largest size, and you’ll see your Box Updates feed rotate through it.
- Added the ability to see and edit file descriptions, as well as engage in discussions on a folder level
We have to admit, Box makes a compelling client and their enthusiasm for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 is a refreshing change from some other cloud-storage services. Have you switched from SkyDrive to Box? If so, tell us why in comments.