Games

Windows Phone Collections: For The Kids

Games

More mobile Xbox games delisted as Windows Phone struggles to find its way

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live connectivity issues affecting Xbox 360 and Xbox One; Netflix and Twitch also down

Windows

Steam's hardware stats show over 25 percent of its gamers use Windows 8/8.1

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live currently experiencing issues, impacts Xbox One and Xbox Music

Windows

Windows 8 and 8.1 still struggle to gain PC market share

Games

Rival Knights brings medieval jousting to Windows Phone

Games

The sequel to the popular Dhoom:3 The Game is here… time for the Jet Speed!

Windows

Point of View announces three affordable Windows 8 tablets, available this summer

Games

Transformers, Sniper Elite III, and Valiant Hearts come to Xbox One and 360 this week

Games

Lost Echo, a 3D action adventure game jumps from iOS to Windows Phone Store

Games

Magic Realms for Windows Phone suffers a game-breaking update [Updated]

Games

Ubisoft brings Valiant Hearts and Tetris Ultimate to Xbox One and Xbox 360 this summer

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Check out latest discoveries and more with the New Scientist magazine on Windows 8

Ubisoft uses Kinect's leering eye to get you to Shape Up

Xbox

Xbox One coming to India in September starting at INR 39,990

Games

Dream of Pixels unleashes beautiful puzzles on Windows Phone

Games

Kabam pledges to bring The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth and other casual titles to Microsoft platforms

Xbox

Xbox Live Gold members can now get two free games on their Xbox One

Games

Ice Rage: Hockey, a smashing Windows Phone game full of body checks

Rayman Jungle Run dashes onto Windows 8 - Our Impressions

Rayman Jungle Run for Windows 8

Last month we were excited to learn that Ubisoft’s Rayman Jungle Run would be coming to Windows Phone at some point in the future. The combination of endless runner with actual levels and the lovable Rayman is just what our favorite smartphone platform needs. What we didn’t know is that Jungle Run would also be coming to PC and tablet via Windows 8 and RT. Happy surprise - it’s out now and Xbox Live-enabled!  Plus it gives us a great idea of what to expect when the phone game comes along.

A legendary runner

Rayman Jungle Run
That icon in the corner there totally represents jumping and not gas.

Rayman Jungle Run is an adaptation of Rayman Origins, one of the finest 2D platformers in recent memory – possibly of all time. The Xbox 360 and other console versions wowed players with its lush painted backgrounds, smoothly animated characters, and sheer variety of platform challenges. It’s also tons of fun in 4-player co-op, so buy it right now if you have friends to play with.

Ubisoft faced an interesting challenge with bringing Rayman to touch-screen devices. Virtual sticks and buttons work for some people, while others have trouble using them. Thus the developers decided to just have Rayman run automatically, not unlike Gravity Guy, The Gunstringer: Dead Man Walking, and Temple Run. That frees players up to just concentrate on jumping – either via tapping anywhere on the screen or clicking a mouse button.

Race to the flag

Rayman Jungle Run

While Jungle Run plays very much like an endless runner in that your character always careens forward, this game does have smartly designed individual levels. There are five level sets with 10 stages each, all themed after specific gameplay mechanics.

The first world is naturally the easiest and players won’t have to worry about death. Instead, the challenge is completing a perfect run by collecting all 100 of the gold Lums spread throughout each level. They often require fast reflexes and maybe even a little jumping or falling to find hidden ones. Get enough teeth and you’ll unlock super tough Land of the Dead levels.

Subsequent worlds give Rayman new moves like floating, running up walls, and punching. Punching actually introduces an on-screen button, but that doesn’t overcomplicate the game. You can press the spacebar to punch, which is easier when not playing on a touch screen. Hazards like spiked vines and enemies will show up as well.

Since Jungle Run was designed as a mobile game, all of the levels are super short. Just when you’re starting to get the hang of one, your character will pass the flag at the end. That actually works great for the collection aspect of the game, though. You can easily memorize a level and get back to wherever you previously missed some Lums in practically no time at all. It’s addictive.

The price is right

Rayman Jungle Run perfect

The Windows 8 game costs the same as the iOS version: $2.99. Yet it’s actually a better value, because you get all four characters: Rayman, Globox, Dark Rayman, and Rayman in Globox Suit without the need for a PDLC purchase. They play the same but it’s always nice to have more characters to choose from. And this version has 200 GamerScore of Xbox Live Achievements. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the unlockable Gallery pictures (which open up in a web browser) are super tiny and thus not the most exciting rewards.

Admittedly it feels a little weird to play a Rayman game on my PC in which I can’t control Rayman’s walking. But the bite-sized levels and one-click/tap controls make this a perfect game to play when you have a few minutes to kill or just want to relax. If you dig platformers and rock Windows 8 or RT, don’t miss Rayman Jungle Run. Now let’s hope the Windows Phone version isn’t far behind…

Get Rayman Jungle run here at the Windows 8 Store.

Thanks to Gabe for the tip!

Comments

iamoniwaban says:

This is good. I know people who have moved to one of the other phones because of the lack of games.

aaa6112 says:

Other phones? The article talks about Windows 8, not WP8. smh

iamoniwaban says:

Hey $*#&@f, read the entire article. Its also coming to the phone

iamoniwaban says:

I love wordament. Unfortunately, it was just released for IOS devices

All WIndows 8/RT Xbox Live enabled games should be available for Windows Phone 8 too! The most are amazing!!
Love Gundpowder, Gunstringer, Taptiles and Jetpack Joiride.

Anyone knows about the port of Tentacles to Windows 8/RT?? They announced that and them no news since. Is the perfect game! One of the games that I loved to play since always! :)

Visual360 says:

Ah, I thought this will for WP8.
I've been playing this on my Note.

Nice Paul! I hope they port to Windows Phone, looks like a great game with a lot of value.

Paul Acevedo says:

Yep, it's definitely coming to WP.

Awesome! This looks like one I can congratulate the Ubisoft team on. Microsoft kicking things up notch.

carlosrdd says:

Paul, any word when tentacles is coming to wp8. It's shameful it's taken this long....

jrnag24 says:

Any news on when or if jetpack joyride will make the jump to Windows Phone 8?

PipoDj says:

I hope they bring this to windows phone to

Paul Acevedo says:

The very first sentence of the article, guys. Come on now.

Lol, somehow I skimmed right past the first line to get into game play mechanics.

jhoff80 says:

It needs keyboard support, and it needs 360 controller support.  I mean, there's only two buttons to deal with.  Would it be too difficult to ask for them to map jump to space (and A on the controller) and punch to Enter (and X on the controller) or something?

As it is now, unless you have a touchscreen, it's going to be VERY difficult to beat the game; later levels let you click anywhere to jump, but only inside the icon for punch to do that move.

Edit:  Okay, I take that back, space punches.

hauz_20 says:

Hey, I'm the tipster!
My wife was wondering why I was giggling like a schoolgirl when I flipped open the Surface. Then I had to share. Loves me some Rayman!

zeronoise says:

Seriously guys what's going on....this week has been amazing to say the least

Paul Acevedo says:

We don't know if the WP version will be WP7 or WP8 yet, but WP8 is more likely. We'll see!

claps says:

please please please make it available for 512MB RAM wp8 devices too Ubi

My 9 year old just reviewed it on his surface. He ignored me when I asked him what he thought. Generally that means the game hooked him. Nice.....

Arsenic17 says:

Mistake: gunstringer dead man running...not walking.i will pick up this game. Good price and a good way to use my new surface on the go

cedarlog says:

looks like a cool game lets hope they will release it soon on windowsphone

Instabuy for me on my Surface RT and the WP8 version when it comes out. I loved Rayman Jungle Run on my Nexus 7- glad its coming out on my preferred gadgets. The price is right and the achievements are an extra incentive to replay. The games keep on coming!

I hope MS integrates the two stores - desktop and phone soon. This looks awesome

testement says:

Just downloaded it on my Surface and its awesome.

I Spiritus I says:

Think I'll be downloading this! Not played Rayman since the PS1 lol.
Glad to see Ubi releasing stuff for it... hopefully the bring some assassins creed titles.

Anchelspain says:

"Rayman Jungle Run is an adaptation of Rayman Legends, one of the finest 2D platformers in recent memory"

Uhh... Rayman legends isn't even out yet. I'm sure it'll be as amazing as you say though ;-)
Rayman Origins however is a different story, and that's the one this game is based upon. Same gameplay, just with automatic running. And I have to say it works wonderful! A must buy!

Paul Acevedo says:

Whoops. Those two names confuse me endlessly for some reason.

cdb033 says:

I'm looking forward to this!

elangab says:

Great review! Waiting for your review of the OTHER new Xbox game release - "Disney Fairies - Hidden Treasures"  :)

Paul Acevedo says:

I'll definitely be getting to it soon! :)

tylerh1701 says:

I'd love to check out this game on my phone if I ever get the chance.  I haven't upgraded to Windows 8 yet, but it's a definite purchase when I do upgrade.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this in the comments yet, but this game is adapted from Rayman Origins, not Rayman Legends.  Easy mistake.  :-)

Who the hell is going to get "Lums Survival!"
No-one in the world haha just like the achievement says..... Simply Impossible

Paul Acevedo says:

Yeah, that is nasty.

Pete Osborne says:

I'm loving this on other platforms, will happily buy it again for achievements! On another note, can anyone find I Dig It or Guitar Hero 5 on the WP7 marketplace? Was just about to pick them up but they're not showing at all for me...

saputraj says:

I bought it for my iPhone/Android. Will definitely buy it for my Lumia 920 when it's released. Bring it on.