Is Samsung trying to sabotage Windows Phone 8 to edge out Microsoft?

Many in our audience here know our opinion on Samsung—they lead the way with the Focus back when Windows Phone 7 was launched and up until recently, appeared to be a major competitor on the platform.  But with Windows Phone 8 and their ATIV S and Odyssey phones (with on the runt of the litter getting US carrier support), we’re just going to say: Their phones and effort to promote the platform look half-assed.

That’s not to say they aren’t good devices, indeed the ATIV S has quite a few things going for it and we would actually have no problem recommending it. But between the lack of advertising, reported price drops and even the “late to the show” arrival of their flagship phone, one gets the impression that Samsung is not really into Microsoft any more. (Samsung blames the carriers).

Over at All Things D, John Paczkowski is putting forth the idea that what Samsung is doing is not accidental but on purpose. Needless to say, that’s a heavy accusation but he cites Detwiler Fenton analyst Jeff Johnston, who has this to say:

“Our checks indicate that Samsung may be intentionally gobbling up Microsoft’s smartphone resources as a strategic move to impede the adoption of Windows Phone 8. While Samsung insists on receiving extensive engineering support (which they are getting) from Microsoft, there is no evidence that Samsung has any interest in seeing the Windows Phone platform succeed.”

The supposed reason? Samsung is trying to move away from Android and Windows Phone as they ready their Tizen OS for commercial release. In turn, they would rather see Windows Phone 8 struggle than explode as another eventual competitor.  Since they are currently making all of their money off of the Galaxy S series anyway, it doesn’t hurt to hobble to the struggler (Microsoft).

Samsung wanning in the US with Windows Phone

Of course these are just theories and there is no smoking gun here to suggest Samsung is purposefully trying to sabotage Microsoft and Windows Phone 8. But to return to the beginning, Samsung certainly feels like it is treating Windows Phone differently this time around—lackluster hardware, limited selection, publicly dissing RT. Let us ask another question: how are they helping?

And if they’re not decisively trying to cripple Windows Phone 8 then they’re just awful at making and selling phones, something their Galaxy S series seems to contradict. Amidst claims of IP theft (most recently by Nokia, off the record), Samsung appears to be making quite a few enemies as they move to be an “all in one” manufacturer.

What say you? Do you think Samsung is purposefully trying to string Microsoft along? Take our poll and let us know in comments.

Source: All Things D; Thanks, Stuart P., for the tip!

Comments

Samsung would not switch from android, or they will have barely any success, in my opinion.

x I'm tc says:

They will switch from Android and they will be successful because of it.

Well, sort of.  Tizen has a Linux kernel (like Android) and runs Openmobile's ACL (and therefore, almost all Android Apps).  So, the switch to Tizen will not be a full-blown abandonement of Android.  But it will give them their own own horse in the race, and you can bet the carriers will push it hard.

ymcpa says:

They wouldn't have access to the play store. Would the developers just loan their apps to samsungs store? and is there any reason why the developers wouldn't want to post to the samsung store?

SocalBrian says:

Samsung is the 800lb gorilla of Android handset makers. Developers will fall over themselves to make sure their Android apps end up in whatever store Samsung has.

thesorehead says:

This, which is why Google went with LG for the latest Nexus. Just like "Lumia" is pretty much the Windows phone, "Galaxy" is pretty much the Android phone. When Samsung makes a "Galaxy" phone, people want it because the brand is strong, and they are genuinely good phones. If developers want access to those customers, they will have to give Samsung's store access to their apps.

FW190D says:

Sorry, I don't agree on the "Just like "Lumia" is pretty much the Windows phone". My hat is off to HTC because they're keeping their stand without Microsoft's full help. This seems to me the iPhone legacy in american minds: one OS for only one manufacturer. Lumia 920 is more expensive than 8X without a solid reason.
On the current subject: Unfortunately, Windows Phone OS is still considered an undesired OS because:
1) it is easy and cheap to build an app for Android andmost dev's have become hardened followers. Their phones have become Gollum's ring although most apps are useless.
2) Every Linux and Java developer out there still believes himself to be "fighting the system and Microsoft". No longer true because there are more Linux and Java devs out there than C# and C++ -ists.
3) People get used to a phone and an OS, bought because a friend, collegue, neighbour has one and it looks cool. You can't really easily change phones because most are tied to an e-mail account that you have and do not want to change.
So I believe that the best move that Microsoft made to push-up sales on Windows phones was the upgrade of hotmail to outlook. Many users switched from Gmail to Outlook because of this, and also switched to WP from Android.
4) WP OS is still very young, compared to Android or Symbian.  Most Android users never got their hands on a WP7 yet.  I think we should have patience and not jump to conclusions.
Crap-sung (as cutely named by an user on WPCentral)  makes bad phones. Galaxy's are full of problems and SIII was a huge bust on the market, at least here in Romania. SIV is coming out. They're trying to flood the market  with Android phones just to keep the sales up. But you got things wrong. It does not have to bad-mouth WP or sabotage the sales. In order for a weakened Android market to return to it's previous glory, Crap-sung just has to treat WP like an Android user would. "It is good, but Android is better". This is because Samsung is still mainly an Android phone manufacturer. Just like HTC has a long history with Windows Mobile, more even than Android. And Nokia, has no other chance. If WP OS fails, so do they become bankrupt again. So it's normal for Nokia to be the hardest pusher, and for Microsoft to protect their investment.

"Lumia 920 is more expensive than 8X"  Where..???
btw L920 hv 32GB storage where 8X has 16..

"Windows Phone OS is still considered an undesired OS"
U said that... look @ the PCMag. Reader's Choice

I stopped raeding after these two sentence... :/

FW190D says:

Too bad you stopped reading. It's true. Here in Romania, Nokia are more expensive than HTC since... forever.  Vendors are using the european name of Nokia to promote a false quality. And I think that the storage battle is for lazy-bones with no internet access or PC's. My former HTC 7 Pro had 8 GB storage and I never used more than 1.5 GB in total, OS included. I like phones with max 16 Gb because the more storage space you have, the more battery and processor speed it needs. But this is a personal opinion.
I just have to look at the market percentage of smartphone users and you will see the difference, better than any magazine reader choice. Different smarphone OS means a good competition, not war between users. So I agree that there are a lot of people out there that like Android, and hold my beliefs into a better future for WP's.

tmc1979 says:

It's good that you don't want to pay for something you're not going to use, but... 32Gb storage, OIS on the camera, Qi wireless charging onboard... of course the 920 costs more than the 8X. I rate the 8X as being a small step up from my 820 (more storage, perhaps a better camera and branded Gorilla Glass) but it doesn't have the feature set of the 920. And it doesn't need to, it's hitting a price point all of its own, currently.

FW190D says:

Good point,I agree. We can't get yet wireless chargers with Lumias in EMEA so I do not mind, and NFC is totally useless as well because the services do not exist in the country. I got an 8X for the look and the price. It's one hell of a phone.

I m there where Support is... The amount of support Nokia gives to their customer is example for other OEMs. Not only WP OEMs for Android OEMs too ... No Android manufacturer suppots their Device like Nokia is doing..

The World is not revolving around high-end markets... There are people who want great phones within reasonable pricepoint. So Nokia released 5 phones in different pricepoint.. CAN U BELIEVE, A DUAL CORE PHONE @ 170$

I m a 7.8 user but unlike other people I m not whining about anything becz NOKIA is giving me perks time to time.

I will happily stay in the camp.

FW190D says:

There is an old saying: Never put all your eggs in the same basket. But you see, Nokia has to because of Microsoft, and also, Symbian is dead. HTC, Samsung, other manufacturers have back-up revenue in case WP goes belly-up. Nokia does not, this is why you're getting all the support. I wish I had as much HTC support, but i would not like HTC in that situation. Nokia is also flooding the market in order to get customers. Things will change in time.

So, U r not a long term customer of Nokia. They care.

Nokia 5130 -> Nokia N72 -> Nokia 5800 -> E63 -> Lumia 800

Novron says:

Another, "I don't need it so nobody else does either," perp.

If left to you, we'd still be making calls from phone booths with rotary dials.

Sorry, I'm not going back to carrying an ipod around and I use my phone like a flash drive. SD expansion uses no more resources, battery, or memory worth mentioning.

Adi2 says:

1.Nokia is better then htc,it has higher quality build,more app from nokia then apps from htc,and the graphic on the top of this page says everything.
2.True most people buy phones because ,friend,neigbor,colleague has one,and they don't even know and don't care about the OS
3WP is still young indeed but ,the problem is those lazy ass,or incompetent people from MS don't do enough to get WP to adult age.If they keep it at this pace in 2 years wp will look as a retarded teenager,and of course will fail.
      Too bad that in the process ms will drag nokia down,but who knows,maybe in 2016 nokia will start making  android phones too

Pleistoros says:

Hi Adi or should I say Salut, because I recognized a countryman.
Nokia is not better than HTC. Nokia has not been dragged down by Microsoft, but MS has pushed tons of money into Nokia to keep it alive. And I will use only WP until they stop making it, because I believe it to be a very good OS, faster and more secure than Android.

Adi2 says:

Yep,you'right salut it is :).I like wp too,and i belive that it has potential,BUT somebody has to do something about it and that is MS,which is not working at the speed it is supposed to work ,and because of that nokia sales suffer,I don't live in Romania anymore,but where I am now if I go to any carrier to ask for a nokia they recommend me from the start something else "because wp is not that good"this is not my opinion,it is the salesmen opinion.This is the image of wp right now,either we like it or not,and that image draggs nokia down.Yes MS money saved nokia for now but it may bury it too.
 And I still belive that nokia outclasses htc in terms of design and build quality.
o zi buna iti doresc

FW190D says:

So... I'm patient. Because we're witnessing a full-on game of thrones in the mobile world.

gwydionjhr says:

Wouldn't Samsung run into issues because they've signed onto Google's Open Handset Alliance (or whatever it's called)?  Isn't the reason Amazon was able to fork Android because they HADN'T signed onto the OHA?

cRAZY Canuk says:

I beleive t just means they give up the OHA so they won't get access to the Play store and the Google services suite

Novron says:

If it doesn't have access to the play store they've set themselves back three years.

Aaron M says:

I think they can pull it off if they stick to the already familiar Galaxy brand.  It might seem dishonest, but as long as Tizen can run Android apps, I don't think many users would realize its not even running Android itself.

Rich White says:

At least some people understand why Surface exists and why Nokia. Microsoft could not depend on Asus, Acer, HP, Dell and Samsung to position MS products in phones or tablets or ultrabook design.

Even if MS did turn to the regular vendors there's the issue of patent trolls and Apple holding up Samsung in courts everywhere. Microsoft needed  a defense strategy they control on Surface and with Nokia on the phones. At worse it is  a back up plan. Turns out it was needed.

Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Lenovo, Vizio--each of these will be offering Smart TV sets, Phones, Blue-Rays and Boxes  with Android over the next two years. Most will have media stores. Possibily offer games.

Look at the slow speed of SSD price drops and ultrabook price drop and all-in-ones. The whole industry is trying to reassert itself after years of Microsft and Intel dominance. The players hated the Intel Ultrabook specification that forced margins down by pricing ultras under $999.00 with the first generation. THey hate Surface now. They wiil hate a Surface 7". They hate Perceptive Pixel. There isn't a thing they like about Mcirosoft getting into hardware and undermining their strategy of Asian hegemony with Google/Android.

EricCantona says:

IMO, it's not about switching from Android, it's about seizing the opportunities. Yes Windows Phone is identical to Nokia nowadays, but the platform is still considered new that it's still up for anyone to grab.
Moving toward the Windows Phone land doesn't mean they have to leave the Android camp. If Samsung is able to grab both markets, it will be a huge advantage for them.

Agreed here, SamPhones are not the best but like said earlier on comments Android phones are the Samsung Smartphones, they do not want to invest on a new OS since android sells quite well. The WP device from Sams is intended to increase its market but relying on the MS(or Nokia) to promote WP, they will not invest on it ( sabotage would be simply do not make a WP device).

carlosrdd says:

Fuck Sam-crap really sick of all this....

fwaits says:

Sam?

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you mean now.  Thought you were talking about Sam, one of the editors here.

apocacrux says:

Sam-suck would have made more phonetic sense.

Siah1214 says:

Actually Sam-dung is probably the best one here.

procen says:

SAMSHIT it rhyme better :-P

TMavC5 says:

Oh that one is good "SAMSHIT..."

Chris Yahya says:

Samsung in indonesian is called SAMSUL or SAM-PRET. pretty funny.

GenieEte0 says:

:D :D In french SAMSOUL would mean it's a pain in the arse (if you write it "Ca me soule")

Sameshit S4. Coming soon.

ah06 says:

The best is obviously SameSoon. It sounds like Samsung in many accents and accurately describes their strategy

dkp23 says:

Perhaps. Clearly they don't care, just let them do there thing with android. Keep Nokia HTC as your OEMs.

EricCantona says:

Having worked with big corporate such as Samsung, all I can say is this. Some people do care. They understand that the company can not only run on a short-term goal. Reaching both ends of spectrum is crucial and these people know. But unfortunately they are not the key decision maker. Samsung is full of idiots (harsh but true) and sadly they're the decision maker.

sayonical says:

I don't understand what's the big deal about Samsung not supporting WP. If its not selling for them they are under no obligation to continue throwing money at it. I get it we love WP but clearly not everyone else does. Android is successful for Samsung. They should obviously throw the weight of their support there

The accusation is that they are sucking up Microsoft's resources (engineers) without actually being interested in seeing the platform succeed.

They then flubbed the ATIV S release (first announced, last launched) and blamed carriers for not picking it up.

The thing is in the US, Samsung dominated with the Focus on AT&T. They've given all of that up now, and one can't actually say they did anything to stop it.

Got your point. In Indonesia, the Ativ S is finally on pre-order basis on the largest retail chain services, Erafone.
Very-very late compared to how HTC and Nokia works.

uberlaff says:

It doesn't appear they are sucking up resources for Windows Phone 9... from earlier. The only OEM's listed in testing are HTC and Nokia.

expectafight says:

*sigh* that's a job listing...

lippidp says:

This might ring true if MS was small, but since they're huge they can afford to lose a few resources without negatively impacting the product. WP8 is where it is because of decisions Microsoft has made.

Samsung, like others, have lost faith in WP because it wasn't successful for two years.

Jeff Kibuule says:

Regardless of company size, resources are always limited. Any deviation from that rule is how large company become obsolete.

bguy_1986 says:

Another thing to add is that people have said WP8 was released before it was actually ready.  Was it because of Samsung?

Just a thought.  Don't know if that's true, but I've seen that in certian news articles.

Tips_y says:

EVen if it were true that WP8 was released before it was actually ready (which I vehemently disagree with), what has that got to do with AllThingsD's contention that Samsung is purposely gobbling up MS resources to impede WP success?!!

And yes, I do agree Samsung is doing it as a strategy so it would be easier for Tizen to break into the market with a weak WP platform. With Google-Samsung relationship beginning to grow sour, they need the success of Tizen so Samsung could become an even stronger player in the mobile market. But I also believe it's a purely business decision and nothing personal about it.

I am also of the opinion that if Tizen fails, Samsung will be turning back to MS' WP just so it can provide a counterbalance and hedge to Google's Android.

Novron says:

It'll be too little too late. They had their chance and the only US WP 8 phone they released was a junker Odyssey. It was like, "we have some old Charges left in a some crates from a couple years ago, throw WP on them and ship them out." They wouldn't even release the ATIV S in the US. It has all the appearances of a contemptuous marketing decision. Screw 'em.

When the 928 hits Verizon, I'm leaving Samsung and not looking back. Nokia will have to majorly screw up and I don't really see that happening.

mshaw2k says:

Who is at fault if SMSNG is "sucking" up resource? SMSNG for trying or MSFT for allowing. Don't ask don't get is my philosophy.

ikecr says:

At our family we are still rocking samsung wp, first and second generation, but now ready to move towards Nokia...
I do really believe they want to push tizen, as bada never really gained traction for them, so global domination won't come at support from google, but theirs one...

Aaron M says:

Its a little more complicated than that. Aside from the direct costs associated with engineering support on the part of MS, there is the patent deal they agreed to a year or so back. When MS and Samsung hammered out a licensing agreement, you can bet that Samsung promised certain level of commitment to WP to get a better price on Microsofts IP portfolio. The fact that I still don't see ATIV S in any US stores tells me that they aren't keeping up their end of the bargain.

Mroofie says:

Dude were did Yu get your grades cuse you might wana go back to grade 1 to start over why ? Yur comment = epic fail :)

xconomicron says:

One might look at your comment and might suggest the same.

Can you retype your post in English please, most of us here don't understand idiot

chataddicted says:

hahahahhahahaha..........

ragu_4 says:

Dude if I ever see you comment like I'm gonna throw a dictionary at your face next time

WhippedKream says:

I think so... It is as you guys state, they make amazing phones on their androids but for windows phone half-ass it now. Also, I don't think that's a very smart move on their part, are they seriously trying to become public enemy number one or something? It's dumb lol

samsung is right, it is the carriers. if ANYONE is trying to sabotage Windows Phone it's them!

mshaw2k says:

No one is trying to sabotage anything, the guilty party is piss poor publicity and a 3 year delay in entering the market. That's the problem. Too late to the game. I love the os but i also make excuses because i love it for its short comings people want the finished product and at the moment wp8 isn't it. Our time will come "THE DAY OF RECKONING IS UPON US". Am i taking this too seriously haha.

You notice no difference between how Samsung is treating the platform/innovation now versus when Windows Phone launched? Because I sure as hell do.

It seems more than obvious that Samsung is just not trying to sell these phones.

StreetNerd says:

so whats Msofts opinion bout this?

xconomicron says:

MS will never state their opinion publicly against an OEM.

chataddicted says:

You forget that ms is dumb.... lol

eagle628 says:

Yeah, but when WP7 launched, Samsung's Galaxy brand wasn't nearly as strong as it is today. They've found profits in Android, but their Focus/Ativ lines never really took off. I don't think it's surprising that they're not pushing Windows Phone anymore when they're doing very well with Android.

Mroofie says:

Lol dude Yu might wana check the news cuse u don't know shit hell my grandma knows better than you -_-

How old are you? seriously you need to type in a laguage people can undestand.

EricCantona says:

Wait what? not a finished product? Tell me a reason why WP isn't a finished product and I can tell you the same things apply to Android and iOS. And since you only mentioned about the OS, don't use the ecosystem bullsheed as the reason.

mshaw2k says:

There is a difference between not bothering to sell phones and have a negative impact on the sales of phones. They just ain't arsed simple.

mshaw2k says:

I think this is over analyzing a touch. They just don't think its going to succeed, they have a decent income with android and wp8 is an experiment, they have publicly denounced windows 8 so that shows they don't believe. Nokia all the way they are invested. I have said it before. They are doing Shit!!!!!!!

topleya says:

I totally agree with. Samsung are doing amazingly with Droid, so they are not going to tinker with that working plan unless they really need to.

Sabotage is doubtful

expectafight says:

They "renounced" windows rt, not Windows 8. big difference.

mshaw2k says:

I agree big difference, because i ahve an RT. But is that a difference that Joe public can differentiate do u think???? NOOOOOOOOO. Who's fault is that do you think. How many people buy an iPad thinking it is a Mac?

I read an article recently and its said Samsung executives blamed the slowing pc market on Windows 8. Full windows not rt. They don't seem to be fans of Microsoft at the moment.

kurotsuki says:

The one they denounced was Windows 8 as in laptop/ultrabook. Typically blamed others when they don't even bother advertising. I've seen windows 8 ads here on Indonesia. But never seen any ads from OEMs about their products. So who's fault was that?

theefman says:

This is why Nokia and Microsoft should just partner exclusively on WP. Nokia is solidly behind the OS with no other interest but to see it succeed, something that cant be said of any other OEM with interests in android. Do it now before its too late!

mshaw2k says:

Why would MSFT partner exclusively with Nokia they can do that and others and still rake it in. Nokia (and a brief moment of HTC) show promise Nokia is well and truly all in. HTC isn't that's the diff. I commend them all for having a go. Its MSFT that need to listen to our winging and moaning.

theefman says:

Simple, because Nokia is doing their best for WP all across the board, from low to high end and pushing the OS constantly unlike someone like HTC who doesn't seem interested in doing the same and favors android with their best tech, same as Samsung.

cannon#WP says:

MS going exclusively with Nokia would be a very bad move for the sake of variety and choice. They'd end up getting being exactly like Apple & RIM, which is what they don't want. I wish MS would allow OEMs to use NVIDIA and TI chips for even more variety but hey, that's a pipe dream.

deloa84 says:

You go to be kidding with this comment! NOKIA is definitely giving themselves a name by what they are doing with the platform, no questions there, but HTC does have a a good standing on WP8. Just look at how many carriers have the 8X versus those that have a high end Nokia... Samsung WP8 is not even present in the US...

J Papi says:

Samsung will fail!

J Papi says:

Yurp! Just you watch.

juanitoriv says:

Isn't it "Yarp"....

zeronoise says:

Thought it was "Yerp"

blackhawk556 says:

Nokia has a better shot at failing.

disagree nokia has made all the right choices and from a company that had no clear smartphone strategy to where they are today is proof of that. I moved away from samsung after my omnia7 to nokia with first a lumia 900 and now the lumia 920 both fantastic phones and my girlfriend has a lumia 800 and loves it too.

Shantek says:

Can't see that happening any time soon

mshaw2k says:

SMSNG wont fail, they are already succeeding that's why the ain't doing Shit, if android fails SMSNG will change. But then and only then.

PGWP says:

Samsung may be doing this intentionally but it may also be a case of how incompetant and lucky they are.  Android is pure trash and Samsung came in at the right time with the right marketing to counter the iphone - so every android fan went to samsung's devices.  Samsung in my opinion has 'okay' build quality but are more about producing the lowest cost device with emphasis on specs and bling'd out UI regardless how laggy it is.
Samsung may switch to tizen but they probably would be better off forking Android and making it the basis of a new OS, allowing back compatilbity with the app catalog but getting rid of google as the architect.
I think Samsung also knows what the sentiment is in the WP crowd - that the majority of WP fans are flocking to Nokia, just like android fans flocked to samsung.  Trying to reverse this right now makes no sense to Samsung, they may want to see if any huge marketshare arrives to WP and then counter with galaxy type devices in the WP market - trying to fight early on may win a few victories but for such a small population of buyers it may not make sense to go 'all in' just yet.

WinFan1 says:

that actually makes alot of sense. Lol

mshaw2k says:

I think stating android is "pure trash" is a bit of a misnomer, its doing a job, all sorts of OEMs are embracing it. It works, it is however "shit" in my eyes. (Not the same kind of "Shit" that Nokia are doing. (Note small "s" means its bad, big "S" means good.) at the end of the day its MSFT that need to listen. After that we will cme out on top because its secure, stable and damn right sexy in comparison to all the rest. (note small "s" of sexy as its still a phone and not a "S" which is how i would describe my misses.

cannon#WP says:

Your point about waiting until Nokia (and to an extent HTC) make the WP market bigger, much like Motorola & HTC did for Android, to strike with a Galaxy type device is actually makes a bit of sense. I can agree with that.

deloa84 says:

This actually makes sense. Samsung is not a bad company but many of their products (including phones) have a "meh" or Okay quality and that fact alone keeps me from buying many Samsung products. At least HTC, which could do better in customer support, makes higher quality phones in my opinion...

Chuck 'em out Microsoft, make them pay those higher patent licensing fees.

Look at all that blue :D

ShipWreck says:

I agree! Samsung has drop the ball they are starting to pull some of their Samsung Ativ Smart PC's I used them they are a great devie. First Samsung way to wrap up in Android which is fine since allot of their income coming from there but it would be good for them to do things with WP8 as well and Win8 as well. Just gets more of their devices out the but they have not marketed the Windows Platform very well most people don't even know they have those other devices. Too me here of late Samsung seems to be sitting around milking the Galaxy name not really coming up with new ideas or designs so forth.  So over all I think they are getting close to reaching their peak to where HTC and Nokia will keep going up with new things and trying to come out with devices that meet everyone needs in that they are making mid range and high end devices.  Which gives folks more options to choose from and really good designs so forth I can see Nokia and HTC keep going up over the next couple of months into next year. Which means they both could easily surpass Samsung.  :)

cesar ruiz1 says:

I really don't think it's the carriers they normally sabotage a complete os not the phone.

I don't know if Samsung is purposely trying to sabotage the WP but it remains the very good mobile operating system and perhaps Nokia is doing justice with it.

juanynfante says:

I dont really see samsung promoting wp8..is like they dont care and it makes alot of sense what the article said..i dont really like plastics phone...im cool with nokia and htc

WinFan1 says:

um.... >.> <.< ^.^ nokias and htcs are made from plastic as well ^_^

juanynfante says:

You know what i mean, besides look at the htc titan and others htc phone...there's no way compare to the cheap plastic use by samsung.

WinFan1 says:

give you that samsung does use a much cheaper plastic than nokia and htc and htcs more industrial designed phones were much higher quality than anything samsung has put out. though i still say the ATIV S is a awesome looking phone.

juanynfante says:

Yeah i know i probably would take the ATIV S if was available first. Bad thing is not in the states

deloa84 says:

Well my old Radar has an aluminum body and feels sturdy and well built. Even my new Nokia 810 which has abit more plastic feels way sturdier than most Samsung phones I played with....

tN0 says:

Not just on Windows Phone. Don't forget that Samsung discontinued their Windows RT tablets and told publicly how bad Windows 8 is.

I believe that Google and Samsung try to harm the Windows platform. Not together but on their own because it is cheaper for them to focus on their own platforms.

mshaw2k says:

You give them too much credit for even thinking MSFT and WP8 as an issue. its an experiment, they will remain distant until it succeeds.

deloa84 says:

This! That is exactly the strategy they had with android and how they tried to ride Apple's waive by creating a device that mimicked much of their style... And it worked for the most part even after Apple began suing them...

bilzkh says:

At best I'd say Samsung is a total liability, boot em out.

Prensescim says:

Samsung is not down with wp8. PERIOD!! IMO they have wp8 phones just in case wp8 takes off so they can show they are in the game....

dono007 says:

sure looks like it. the ativ s is just an s3 with a different OS loaded, they dont seem to put any thought or resources into it.
if i was buying WP8, i would only look at nokia, since they are 100% committed to the platform.

uberlaff says:

I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not but they are proving that Windows Phone is not working for them. I personally feel that they are putting a few resources on the project and watching it fail then blaming Windows Phone for the failure.
Nokia is single handedly proving that it's not Windows Phone; it's the marketing. The last thing MS should do is let Samsung drag them down. I noticed their name was not included on the Windows Phone 9 test OEM's in a previous article so hopefully MS feels the same way.

drahtlos says:

Nokia dominates the WP market with powerful innovation - and innovation is not the strength of the Korean copy shop. So Samsung knows that they do not have a chance against Nokia in the WP field on the long term.

CobaltDragon says:

That's a pretty lame argument. I don't think I'd be spending everything I could on the platform either, considering it probably accounts for about 1% of their revenue. They have no real incentive to truly push it, and they probably aren't super fond of the apple-esque platform/ecosytem that MS has created, nor the delicious deal MS and Nokia have going.

blackhawk556 says:

Several weeks ago there was an article that Microsoft wanted to partner up with Samsung to push windows phones on businesses. Samsung is not interested in this. All they want is for Microsoft to show them to door in getting big business contracts like they do with Windows and they'll turn on Microsoft and push galaxy devices. Samsung's "SAFE" marketing ads shows that Samsung is interested in getting their devices in businesses around the world. With half assed effort and public trash talking of windows 8, Microsoft should steer clear of any joint effort with Samsung.

jlambo says:

All their $ is with chromebooks and android.

Vheissu says:

Yeah Tizen... I bet that'll be a big hit

WinFan1 says:

WOOHOO TIZEN Said no one ever..........

Mike Palmer says:

Isn't Tizen made by MS and Samsung together? If so this whole article makes no sense and neither do any of you guys saying all this stuff about Samsung lol

RussellMb says:

TIZEN is DOA as far as I am concerned.

They took what was a most beautiful os (meego) and did all they could to remove everything beautiful about it. The now tizen has no resemblence to the innovative ui that meego once had. Niw tizen looks just like a android with touchwiz. I still feel bad about the death of meego. So yes tizen will be DOA.

The new Microsoft job application for windows phone 9 did not mention Samsung. I think Samsung's impedance of the platform is recognized and being countered.

Mazlum says:

Well I really love my ATIV S. It's a great phone.

Whatever. They make cheap looking plastic phones anyway. I'll stick with Nokia and HTC.

Icthiodrak says:

This goes along with Google announcing that they are worried because Samsung is the biggest player on Android.  Honestly it would be a pretty dumb move on Samsungs part to ditch Android.  They would then be battling every one of the big 3 (Apple, Microsoft, and Google).  I do agree that they are trying to sabotage Microsoft.  Their performance in the Windows market lately has left me scratching my head.  The have given no effort on pushing any Windows device that I have seen.

RussellMb says:

Google will ditch Android. It's a matter of time IMHO. This option becomes more realistic as their market share grows and as Tizen starts creeping up in their devices.

slpaige says:

I'm guessing you meant Samsung will ditch android. I don't see google ditching android...

I think that Microsoft should focus on Nokia and HTC exclusively since these two OEM bothered to come up with unique hardware at the release of WP8. The irony is that Samsung, with ath ATiV it whatever they called their WP8, was simply another iteration of Android phone-like body type and yet they came very late to the market. Even their attitude towards Windows 8 is another indication on how they relation has deteriorated pertaining to the windows ecosystem.

it is sabotage. Period. I'm been saying this since December. and now after they dropped their RT tablets and poured some smear campaign on Surface I can confirm it. They want their Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab to suceed ATIV brand is worthless for them....so they sabotage. microsoft would be too stupid if they don't see this.

Blu3V3nom07 says:

I liked the article alot. Then I got to the poll and I saw the shiny objects thing. ~ Just, No. : l

ballanda says:

I'd say Google put Samsung up to this, but that would be evil, and Google is not allowed to do evil.

cannon#WP says:

I don't agree with any of those 3 options in the poll. I wish you would add "They are pulling back for their own OS" and "They aren't being paid like Nokia is" as options. I really think that they'll poop out the Galaxy S IV with the latest and greatest because it's easy & profitable, then go full steam ahead to launch a Galaxy T with the Tizen OS next year and that's the reason. They already cut ties (whether by force or choice) with Apple as a chip provider, so I truely think it's more about them bringing everything in house and pulling back on 3rd parties.

Maybe they'll create a new Ativ S 2 (with GSIII guts) to throw their WP fans who haven't defected to Nokia or HTC a bone.

lubbalots says:

Support those who support you.

Mankku says:

I really like my Ativ S, good product, and the Nokia Lumias are also great ones. It's really sad that we´re bashing these manufacturers who make good stuff. Nokia has done well with the launch of WP8, and the future for the Nokia customers seem good. Hopefully future Winphone 8 updates will be fair to all devices, even if Samsung "ditches" WP8? We customers shouldn't be suffering from these things

jfkn2001 says:

Samsung is thinking they don't need Microsoft anymore. In the smartphone market, they have Android and Tizen and Bada and make so much money with the Galaxys (Android). In the tablet they also have the Galaxys tablets. They are saboting Microsoft.

Bada is discontinued, Tizen is the new Bada, and it will run like crap. Lagdroid combined with Bada = huge fail. (I was a former Bada user)

paulm187 says:

Samsung is a threat not only to WP but also to Android.

Big Supes says:

I predict Samsung will shoot down Android with their new OS. After all, to many people, Android is actually known as Samsung.

paulheu says:

A point made earlier would actually make sense for both HTC and Samsung. They struck a deal concerning patents and licencing on Android with MSFT which included them doing WP8 devices. Now that they have done so they will forget about these and move on using the deal to their advantage in being able to use MSFT patents in their Android line up.
Both show this 'sell and forget' mentality and both basically used as cheap a design and device modelling as possible. The one getting the short end of the stick here is Nokia. Nokia actively participated in the hardware and software development for WP8 and so gave away their 'stuff' to the other two. This might also be a reason behind recent moves made against both Samsung and HTC..
But we'll see how this all pans out..

bbqrooster says:

If you have ever dealt with Samsung on business, you'll know that it is a ruthless company. What you are seeing is nothing new. They'll deal with you in the beginning when their product is not ready, learn about your product and improve their product internally. When their product is ready, they'll then compete with you in the market place and shut you out. Their behavior that I have seen in the WP market is mirroring their usual behavior. Google should be very afraid.

lubbalots says:

Why should google be afraid? There's so many android OEMs.

Android is not associated with Google, rather with the 400 million dollars Samsung spent last year Android = Samsung, except for the fans and die-hards, which is not most people

lubbalots says:

I think we should all know samsunga position by now. We should all know mists of the OEMs position besides Nokia and somewhat HTC.

Apple be snorin', Google be trippin', Samsung be leavin', Microsoft be bitchin' the end apologies for my attempt at poetic humor

Abdul9 says:

Yes Samsung is trying to sabotage Wp and thats a fact. My proof? How dare they put android flyers in an Ativ S box! Here in Germany if you buy an Ativ S you get an Android flyer in the box with all their android devices listed. I dare someone tell me they are not trying to sabotage Wp.

jlynnm350z says:

Wouldn't doubt it for a second, there scumbags at Samdung. They will do anything to win.

ShipWreck says:

Another note Samsung knows that if Windows Phones do well which they are with Nokia and HTC plus if MS comes out with their own device. Samsung knows this will hurt their Andriod devices sells which is their main money maker so I will not be buying anything Samsung. If they were smart they would make their hardware for both to take care of the consumer who wants a WP instead of just sold on one thing.   In the long run this will hurt them and I think Windows Phone will over take Andriod at some point in the market. HTC is doing it correctly by making both but with Nokia who I think still today has the best hardware hands down to these company who just got in the cell phone market could surpass Samsung in the near future. Samsung is becoming the new Apple the only difference they are pushing Gingerbread propaganda machine instead of the Apple Juice. Just my 2 cents :)

Xaphoon148 says:

Samsung complain about not selling Ativ tabs in Europe...
Really strange with a price tag at about $ 1050,- for an Ativ RT...
Way higher than surface, and wouldn't even consider an Ativ.
Don't really think they're committed at all, but they got all the software and updates firsthand... (copy and past??)

stephen_az says:

How about asking legitimate questions in a poll instead of this tedious and arrogant BS that only offer negatives? Wait, that would require people to consider more than their own biased perspectives and unprofessional blatherings....

Please enlighten us to your worldly wisdom regarding Samsung. Why don't you tell us how you really feel lol.

diplomat696 says:

I hope Samsung does try to go to tizen and it backfires on them. I wonder also, what % of android phones are Samsung and what effect such a change would have on Google were Samsung to splinter off of android to their own OS...

DeacoN_Jo says:

To Hell with all this BS ..as far as WP is concerned,
I believe that if Microsoft and Nokia continue to support each other all the way using all available resources...then everything will be just ( Mind-Blowing ! )

conanheath says:

Why would Samsung waste their time? MS doesn't need any help sabotaging wp8. Their rush to production, buggy, incomplete OS and slow/non-existent updates pretty much assure MS an epic fail. MS seems to be capable enough without Samsung help.

benners76 says:

Nokia wouldn't be putting all their might behind WP if they hadn't become irrelevant over the past 5 years. The Fins are at a place where the very future of the company may be on the line if they don't succeed w/WP. Samsung isn't in that position... They're killing it with Android and can afford to explore WP while avoiding any significant risk. I don't see it as sabotage... More so just Samsung taking a look and not much else.

1Rahtid says:

Seeing how Microsoft themselves isn't really into Windows Phone anymore, why should Samsung?

Completely false.

Blame it on Ms, not Samsung. Microsoft is now making Windows Phone for three years and it's still raw. Many major apps don't care to jump in and MS can't do nothing about it. Why the hell Samsung have to promote something that bad when they have perfectly healthy Android? Windows phone is growing up very slow. And I see why Sammy lost interest.

1Rahtid says:

Most folks on this forum are going to vigorously disagree with you. I'm going to agree with you, in principle.Microsoft (mobile device division) is like an untalented athlete on a sports team, an athlete who isn't where he needs to be but will not invest the time and effort to make himself as good as the top dog, instead he just gets by.

spd_rcr says:

Couldn't agree more. I'm sitting here with my Focus and Focus S sitting on my desk. Wonderful hardware. Waiting for all those promised features, updates, and apps to flow down the pipe from Microsoft, that's left me so raw, It'll be years before I even consider buying another Windows Phone ! That's not counting the Windows Mobile 6.5 Samsung Blackjack II whose platform was completely dropped by Microsoft with the release of WP7.

glassadam says:

Most of the Galaxy users I know (there are a lot of them, and they're mostly just regular people, not readers of sites like this) have no idea what android is. Tizen might look a bit different at first, but most folks will assume it's just an upgrade to Touchwiz (though they wouldn't actually know to call it "Touchwiz") to go along with their new Galaxy S 5 or whatever. Point is, Samsung may be able to stay uber-successful with Tizen, and this resource-leeching theory may actually hold some water.

travisel says:

Samsung Canada is awesome for us Canadian WP8 users! It's the only WP8 smartphone in Canada that you can get everywhere! Where Nokia is only on Rogers.
I love my Samsung ATIV S and would never trade it for 920/8X!
Samsung USA sucks! I can't believe what they did to WP8 users in the U.S. is completely BS....they gave the U.S. a crapy cut down version of ATIV S like wtf?
I own the ATIV So awesome and wished all Americans could be included with the real ATIV S WP8 platform. I really hate what Samsung USA did to U.S. consumers for choice of WP8!

badMojo69 says:

Samsung is a POS company who only knows how to steal from other people.  HTC is much better at inovation than Samsung, but they let ATT screw them and they lost market support because of it.  Also I think LG has a much better desing group than Samsung.  I'm ready for a new Lumia phone now.

I get the feeling that Samdung couldn't care less about W8P.  They are selling crazy on Android  and they could put what ever crap they want on that crap OS.  With Nokia ( love my L920 ) and HTC making W8P phones I for one won't be missing Samdung.  I went through 4 Samdung Focuses.  All them with the beeping when you plug in the charger.

FinancialP says:

How can you sabotage something that isn't really succeeding? Its not failing either, but why?

Tizen is replacing Bada; yet another strategic move.

uopjo6 says:

Samsung is sick in the head and have 0 pride in design. The S4 will probably be a S3 rehash or a S2+S3 fuse. Upgrade the internals only and call it a day. The 8.0 tablet (phone?) already shows where Samsung is heading with design for their next wave.

oya...the article...Samsung sucks!

Nabkawe5 says:

I think Samsung just used the carrier thing that Nokia used when it was on top.

Kellix says:

I absolutley think Samsung is trying to sabotage, Microsoft. Its not like Samsung has been shady before, If you look at current lawsuits against them, they released a ton of LED TVs that blew up all over the place, my sister lost a 55 inch that she paid 2200 for. So why wouldn't they be shady again. I had the Focus and it was a alright phone but the battery was horrible. I got the new Nokia Lumia 920 and love it and the battery is fantastic. I was waiting to get the ATIV-S and waited and waited till when the Nokia 920 released I got it thinking if the Ativ-S comes out, I will just wait and swap it out. Well I'm glad I didn't also I waited 6 months beyond my re-up date just so I could get the Nokia and love it. And now what is it 5 months they are finally releasing the ATIV-S, I already saw the Samsung Notebook and its a piece of crap, not the OS, Samsung, they are purposely trying to make Microsoft look bad. If I was Microsoft, I would drop them like a bad habit and buy out Blackberry, their on fumes, and turn all their phones on the Windows 8 OS, Since Blackberry is going down in flames and 6 years ago, when Blackberry was God and if you said that Apple or Samsung would have good phones you would be laughed at. How things change, and of course Samsung doesn't want Microsoft to be a competetor to their Tizen, when they dump Droid, I bet Google will actually be surprised, I'm not. I really wondered what the deal was with Samsung and this makes total sense. Also Tizen will be the death of Droids of Samsung Droids, one last grab at money with the Galaxy 4 before they scoot.

rlu168 says:

They've been co-working with Apple, Microsoft and trying to steal something to build their own echosystem. There're many Japanese companies suffered already. The next one is Sharp.

Etios says:

Samdung sucks but MS cant banish them YET as its bad times now, MS should Forgive but never Forget!!

Eddie_Lomax says:

Its not very likely that Samsung would intentionally hamper Microsoft by tying their resources up, since it takes almost the same level of resources on their side to achieve this in a credible way.
My guess is that its all down to internal corporate politics in Samsung, the division producing the galaxy range have the most clout since they are making the real cash.  WP only has promise as an alternative to them, but right now Tizen is getting heavily invested in for that spot.
I'd have been shocked if Samsung used just one poster to advertise their ATIV when they could have put a Galaxy on it, it would not be a surprised if they dropped out for WP9, at least for the time being since Tizen is their hope.
But I also expect that Tizen is going to run into the same corporate troubles with divided priorities between selling the most popular Android phone and trying to advertise a new platform.  Couple that with the whiff of incompatibility that Tizen offers and I predict failure here, it will be interesting to watch :)

FunGuy13 says:

I have long believed that Samsung was not fully supportive of the Windows Phone platform. They kept all of the gee-wiz-wow features for their Android phones. Even Google is concerned about Samsung's dominance of this platform. Also, Samsung is probably non too happy to be paying MSFT up to $30 per each Android phone sold due to MSFT's patents. Samsung is very competitive and is prone to play very dirty, like Apple, to win the mobile devices war...

tigga2000bo says:

Samsung will never succeed on windows phone for one reason....hardware. Since the software is already controlled by Microsoft the only real way to differentiate yourself is through hardware and that is not their strength. You can say whatever you want about HTC and Nokia but they have always been good at making great hardware. Samsung phones have never been the best at anything and that's the truth. Samsung strength has always been through gimmicks, copying other successes and cheap phones. I still can picture them pumping out cheap WP but that's about it. That's why it would not bother me one bit to see them go....they don't bring anything new to the WP table.

Mike Palmer says:

They are a world leader in hardware, where do you guys get your facts lol Not only do they make most of their own hardware but they make hardware for other oem's

tigga2000bo says:

I didn't say that. What I said was they they are not the best at anything. For instance...they make all their phones with suspect/cheap build quality, they never was able to build a phone with the best screen or camera or even performance. They don't lead in phone design....name one phone from Sammy that has made u go wow...thats what I thought. The only thing they were good at was making phone materials for others......then stealing their ideas.

Mike Palmer says:

Note 2 was a wow from me and I'd say other people as well since they have sold a lot of them, but I'm not fan boy I like any phone that's not apple if it's good that include andriod phones and windows and even maybe crackberry

tigga2000bo says:

The only thing "wow" about the note is the large screen and maybe the s pen...but the screen doesn't have the best resolution. While it is useful in this form factor, myself and many others consider it too large to function as a phone unless you have a Bluetooth headset. My brother has a note 2 and he uses it almost like a itty bitty tablet. That's seems inconvenient to me but to each his own.

MrTracey says:

"Their phones and effort to promote the platform look half-assed."
Well, my wife has just bought an HTC 8s and from what we can see, it's WP8 that's "half-assed"
In her view, it's like going back 10 years in time:

• no notification lights for missed calls/texts/etc
  • no repeat notifactions / sounds
  • can't choose own sounds for notifiactions
  • only 1 overall volume setting
  • etc etc

Even her old, basic Blackberry curve gave her the above facilities.
There's no way we could recommend a WindowsPhone to anyone as it stands. I hope to God that Microsoft fix these & other issues pretty damn quick or the 8S will be on ebay soon.
Samsung has got nothing to worry about - as long as it sticks with Android.

Mike Palmer says:

Id have to agree that MS has hurt their self but I see potential In the op but MS has sabotaged their self not Samsung

Kellix says:

One thing about the Note and the new Galaxy S4 how big do you want a phone to be? Seriously I mean the 920 to me is perfect size, I mean I saw a Note yesterday and it looks like a Mini I pad, like that thing is going to break alot, I mean how clumsy are people? Phones get dropped its the nature of the beast. Why I think the size of the phone has to stop at a certain size because its to the point its ridiculous, aka the note and new S4. They are mini I pads by Samsung and I agree. I had a Samsung Focus and the battery flat out sucked and they use sub standard parts. The thing thats going to bite Samsung in the azz is them.
And I'm glad MSFT is dropping them for WP9, I already think that they should buy blackberry just for the buisness contacts as in buying them into the Windows phone. Crackberry is on fumes.

Mike Palmer says:

So all phones should be just one size made for your suit of preference....... You need to remember that different people like different size phones, also the note 2 has the best battery life out right now so I'm not sure what your talking about there

namikral says:

microsoft should deny samsung all their services, simple as...

TheFreeJuan says:

A lot of folks have speculated that Samsung will do a switcharoo on Google's Android towards their Tizen (btw how does one pronounce that, is it "tie zen" or "tee zen"?) project. I wonder if Google is thinking this as well. This morning, I read an article on OEM marketshare in the Android market. Samsung presently has around 42% of the Android market.
Its very easy to think Android = Samsung/Samsung = Android now. It must, on some level, drive the folks at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway a little nuts about this. Samsung has slowly introduced on the app front its own services that directly compete with what Android/Google offers. Now there is their Wallet system along with a competing store. So worries about app store compatability may be moot.

I can easily see Samsung suddenly promoting Tizen and saying how it will run most of your favorite apps. They probably would even say that Tizen is a "better Android than Android" or some other such marketing. But for many folks who purchased a Samsung Galaxy phone will continue to do so because they only know Galaxy and not so much Android. And if the new Tizen Galaxy phones are able to run their apps like Evernote or Youtube or Gmail or even friggin Angry Birds, they wouldn't be the wiser to know the difference.

If and when Samsung were to make the switch to Tizen, and the firm at that point still has a similar market share of 40%+, that's a huge chunk to take away from the Googlesphere. Now perhaps many Galaxy owners won't cop to a new Tizen Galaxy phone. But what if Samsung is able to take 80% of them as a starting base for their new Tizen ecosphere? I suspect that the folks at Google are thinking this as well.

Problem is, its not the lack of demand for WP, its the fact that Nokia has a monopoly with WP (80% WP Marketshare?!), and people just don't want anything other then HTC/NOKIA.

TheFreeJuan says:

That sounds more like the fault of Microsoft then for not bringing on enough OEMs. Frankly they should cut down their royalty fees for the sake of garning more companies to produce WP8 products. While the OSes will all be the same, maybe the different hardwares (they are allow to differentiate that way, right?) at different price levels (say a budget WP8 phone perhaps??) will help boost the overall marketshare of Windows Phone 8.

NAMISH says:

Let's put it bluntly... Samsung's got most of their bets on Android. And why shouldn't they? Their S3 and every other Android venture they've made has brought them riches and tons of 'em! Windows Phone is still fresh - true that it has been here for a while, but honestly WP8 was sort of a refresh in itself. So definitely expect Samsung to be wary...
In other words... they're probably sabotaging WP8 but I don't blame them entirely. MS take note...

Sad to say, MSFT scewed the pooch with WP8-first with the no-upgrade policy from WP 7.5, then with the lack of any new game-changing features n WP8-not to mention that the phone feature stack still doesn't even come close to what Windows Mobile and third parties did before they sent WM to its grave.  And the live tile functionality is a poor excuse as a widget replacement. Furthermore MSFT had locked down the phone's hardware so tight that unless you are a manufacturer don't even think about improving the phone features-MSFT just won't allow it-why else have we not seen third-party suppoer for assignable SMS/text tones? And it's been what-close to 3 years since WP7 came out?
Perhaps the only sane reson to keep using WP is that its the least likely to become a malware vector.

trxmec says:

I come from an HTC Titan with WP 7.8. With all the reserves which must be taken in comparing a new device with something older, frankly from a manufacturing standpoint I do not see anything in ATIV S which may lead me to think to a try to sabotage. At least, nothing worse than what I could think about HTC when I bought the Titan, considering also that so far Samsung devoted lot of energy to Android. They probably tried to diversify the portfolio and have no reason for a massive change of their overall strategy all of a sudden. It was a pity to see ATIV so late in the market and such a lack of marketing. You may like or not the classic design but it is light, thin, solid, responsive and it is worth the expense imho.

WP8fan says:

I don't know that  the Tizen strategy is Samsung's best idea.  What made Android successful was having lots of devices from various manufacturers at different price points.  In any event, if they abandon WP there will be other manufactures like Acer or Asus to fill the void.

warpedgeoid says:

If Samsung goes all in with Tizen then they might as well write off the US market at the high end. Nobody, and I mean nobody intent on buying a high end phone, with the exception of tinfoil hat wearing nuts that believe Google is violating their precious privacy, will want an OS developed by Samsung. Their TouchWiz UI is bad enough that it ruins Android. This is Samsung wishing desperately to be Apple and chasing that dream down to the bottom of the ocean. They can't understand that what made Apple's success was history (this help a lot in the US) and personality, both traits that Samsung lacks.

Anwaar Ulhaq says:

Samsung is mean but with Tizen OS they are gonna be all alone without Samsung, the world is still gonna live wihtout them just like Nokia had fallen once but now it is almost back....

WP is also gonna give Android a real tought time starting exactly from start of Next year, I love WP

I never saw a Samsung 's Windows phone At leat not with WP 8 where is it???? No promotion nothing Samsung and Google they all are against WP, Microsoft had the concept of Dual Boot option in all Android phones so that evreyone have a choice of what OS they need but Google forced all the OEMs not to do it cux they were afraid of WP gain traction but soon its going to people are getting smarter day by day