Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Bought new Windows hardware? Trade in your old devices with Microsoft's Buy Back scheme

Microsoft restores control of seized domains to No-IP

Microsoft announces patent licensing deal with Canon

Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

Lumia 520

Microsoft to support Windows Phone 7 and 8 until 2014

Microsoft is set to support both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 until 2014, according to the company's website. The website has detailed dates for when the company is planning to halt support and cease security update rollouts (much like the Windows desktop operating system). It's a positive sign for all Windows Phone owners as their smartphones will continue to receive updates for many months to come.

Should you own a Windows hone 7.x device, you'll be eligible for security updates until September 9th, 2014. If you're running the latest version of Windows Phone, Microsoft will be wrapping up update support on July 8th, 2014. The Microsoft page detailing the support lifecycle also states the following:

"Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System on your phone, including security updates, for a period of 18 months after the lifecycle start date. Distribution of the updates may be controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer from which you purchased your phone. Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities."

So what does all this mean for consumers?

Nokia Lumia Document

As well as updates for Windows Phone 8, it's speculated that Windows Phone 7.8 isn't the end for legacy hardware. A leaked slide from a Nokia presentation (see above) shows another potential update that's set to roll out after Windows Phone 7.8. Microsoft hasn't revealed anything as-of-yet, so we'll remain hopeful that it's not the end of the road for Windows Phone 7.

Said updates are stated to be possibly under the control of mobile operators and / or hardware manufacturers. Availability may vary by country, region and hardware capabilities. With Windows Phone 8, Microsoft will be able to further take advantage of OTA (over-the-air) updates, enabling consumers to update their Windows Phones without plugging devices into computers.

Source: Microsoft, via: Plaffo

Comments

Does this mean my Lumia 920 will only be good till the end of 2014???

18months from when wp8 was realeased. The article even gave a date,July 8th 2014.

VegaNovus says:

Please read the article carefully, Windows Phone 8.0 will be supported until July '14 - before then there's a good chance 8.1 or 8.5 or 8.x will roll out.

Then 8.? will be supported for longer until a further date.

More likely, they mean that 8.x is until that date, at which point 9.x will be current. I think that they are meaning an OS line, not a single update.

rockstarzzz says:

Even then, if WP9.x is realeased by July 2014, that means another 18 months of support for WP9.x which isn't bad.
Also, this means the updates are based on OS versions and NOT hardwares. So if they leave us with WP9.8 in 18 months after July 2014, it probably means, we aren't getting any more support. I will be happy with even July 2014 as such with Lumia as I will be going for WP9.x devices!

This all assumes that carriers will play ball and push out updates expeditiously.
An update from WP8.x to WP9 is likely to be pretty major.   I can see a major carrier like AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon not providing this update, and instead require a new phone purchase to get the new OS.

wpguy says:

Hush your mouth! That would never happen. So, says the owner of a manufacturer- and carrier-abandoned HD7.

casab1anca says:

No, read the article carefully. 2014 is the end of support for the WP8 OS, but current devices will then be able to upgrade to WP9.

rhodri22 says:

"...while Windows Phone 8 devices should see the next major version of Windows Phone, which will then kick off another support cycle."

WP8 devices will get WP8.5 (if carrier/oem/hardware/region will allow that (worse situation than with WP7 line) )

There is no official confirmation that WP8 devices will be upgradable to WP9 and you should remember what that means (entire smartphone line becomes obsolete and incompatible with applications written to new version of OS).

pickypg says:

Microsoft has stated that the WP9 will become available for WP8 devices.

WP8 could not be backported to WP7 for one simple reason: the security chip (TPM). Shy of them adding a second security chip, which won't happen anytime soon, then they have no hardware restriction that cannot "gracefully degrade" similar to how the camera system can work with, or without a flash (although that's not as low level, it is the same idea).

Search for "wp8 will get wp9" and select the IntoMobile. I wanted to put it here, but it won't let me.

It seems, that I was wrong. It's just hard to believe Microsoft after what they did in the past. Really hope that "upgrade path" means that WP8 devices will get WP9.

I am sorry for spreading false information.

P.s. thank you for the link.

dalydose says:

No guarantee that the filthy carriers will allow the new OS updates.

And that has been the problem...

Sean Burns1 says:

Yeah like T Mobile didn't support the Radar

wpguy says:

And the HD7. Not only T-Mobiles fault, but HTC abandoned it as well.

tbonenga says:

What windows phone has Tmobile supported???

wpguy says:

Come on... At least we had a hero phone. For like, two weeks.

nablor says:

Ditto this is why I will never buy a carrier locked device, they cannot be trusted to give full support to every device and the updates they should recieve.

Chef316 says:

This is why I bypass my carrier and get my updates from windowsphonehacker :-)

andrewkeith5 says:

It reads to me like Windows Phone 8.1 (if that's what Portico is) will be supported 'till July 2014, but before then there'll be another major release - probably 8.5 that'll be distributed to all current WP8 devices, and at that point the 18 month timer starts again.

Therefore in theory, if you bought a Lumia 920 on release day, it should be supported for up to 36 months (by Microsoft, anyway).

Does everyone else read it the same way?

hbkzara says:

That's what am reading also..the next major update is wp9 ( i think )which will then get support for another cycle

WhippedKream says:

Iunno how you and other people are seeing it this way. Rich didn't say those exact words and said it would only be supported for 18 months after release... So how is this the case? I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But yeah I didn't see any mention of 8.5 or 9 anywhere so I don't get the logic too much.

andrewkeith5 says:

"Windows Phone 8 devices should see the next major version of Windows Phone, which will then kick off another support cycle."

OK, so he said should, but the chances are pretty high...

WhippedKream says:

Oh my goodness. I didnt see that last part there. Wow. Thanks :) Sorry about that. I was so sure I read it carefully lol.

MediaCastleX says:

What are you, a lawyer? =P

WhippedKream says:

Hahahaha no sir, I am an Engineer ;) loool

andrewkeith5 says:

Haha, nope but where I work its important to make sure you read every last word ;)

blackhawk556 says:

Yes that should be right. 18 month support for wp8 and the clock starts over another 18 months for wp9. All current WP 8 devices are upgradeable to WP 9 so we should see 18 months of security support from when that's released. We just shouldn't expect them to to release new features for current WP 8 devices almost three years from now.

Fritzly says:

Where did you see any reference to WP9? "Major" could well mean "Blue" or WP 8.X.
Besides the note about carriers, OEMs and geographical location of course.

Nebulaeus says:

Nope.  Your Lumia 920 will get the next version of Windows Phone, which will have its own support structure.  Microsoft is doing the right thing here... you get a measly 18 months of "promised" updates with Android, which is really a shame as they don't even keep their promises there all the time.  Windows Phone isn't perfect, but the level of support for these releases is a welcome development and is appreciated.

MadSci2 says:

True. I shelled out for the top of the line Samsung Galaxy Tab when it was brand new fromAT&T. How many updates has it received since then? None!
The results: I will never buy another Android device, nor a Samsung device, nor would I consider shelling out for a Tablet from AT&T. Lack of ongoing support for a reasonable period is the best way to lose Customers, permanently.
Hello Nokia Windows Phone!

travisel says:

WP 32-bit is good till WP 64-bit!

Windows Phone ARMv7 hardware is 32-bit, 18 months from now new ARMv8 hardware is 64-bit!

64-bit Smartphone is coming!

Then the death of all 32-bit Smartphone's will happen.

link5a says:

Right, it sounds cool but even if that happens to be the case in 2014, probably most apps will still run on 32-bit like it curently happens with Windows Vista/7/8 ;)

chuco187 says:

I don't think so. The last paragraph states over the air updates. No need to plug your phone into a computer.

danielgary says:

According to this post only until July 2014. Something's wrong with the dates. 7.x support is longer than 8?

andrewkeith5 says:

7.8 was released after 8.

There'll be an update for 8 at some point in the future (probably 8.5), which will restart the 18 month support timer.

blackhawk556 says:

No, I don't think the timer will restart once they release 8.5. 18 month timer will restart for wp8 devices when they are upgraded to 9.0 only. WP 9 will have its own 18 month cycle but 8.5 won't.

Vlad C says:

Since 7.8 resetted the cycle, an 8.5 will reset it too.

Shimmy Adler says:

will get reset with Wp9/blue, which should be coming out this fall, and ALL WP8 devices, will allegedly be upgradable to WP9/blue...

kinaton says:

Never had one yet.. Didn't even get 7.5/7.8 notifications

sanders2232 says:

Ya they want to focus on new WP9. So this is actually good news. Just like some android phones eventually stop getting updates and tour forced to live with what you got or buy a newer phone.

Shimmy Adler says:

....or just root it (u usually can) and update it yourself, at least you usually have that option for android...

TechAbstract says:

I used to do that on Android, but those none official ROMs are very buggy. That's why I switched away from Android.

XboxOmac says:

These phones will still be supported straight through in a way. Just the OS version. WP8 will go on to WP9 and so forth.

Ok so WP7 gets support for longer than WP8... How does that work then!?!?!?!?

andrewkeith5 says:

See my post above - WP7.8 was released after WP8...

blackhawk556 says:

Are you sure every 7.x and 8.x update restarts the 18 month support cycle? I don't think so. WP 8 devices will be upgraded to WP 9 so that restarts the timer, not 8.x.

Ok so since my Ativ S shipped with Portico does that mean I get 18 months from the release of Portico?

Samst22 says:

As WP7 phones are not upgradable to WP8, but all WP8 phones are upgradable to WP9, this makes sense as by the middle of 2014, presumable most WP8 phones will carry WP9 and so all windows phones will either be WP9 or WP7. No need to support WP8 for longer.

joanzen says:

Interesting. Given that my AT&T HTC Titan is still on 7720, I just assumed that support ended sometime early last year...

nablor says:

Unbranded is the way forward my titan has received both recent 7.8 updates, it may be a bigger cash outlay at the beginning but its worth it just to get the updates without the hassle.

vitaliano says:

Upgrade to 7.8 yourself. That's what I did.

nice to hear of a long support term for 7.x. but we won't really get any cool features. just minor "bug fixes and performance improvements". so it's not all that great a news.
heck, they didn't even give sms drafts and multiple select in 7.8! and reject call with sms.
these things require dual cores? o.O

No. I doubt it. But MS doesn't wanna waste resource to develop 7.8 as much now. But I would really like some minor improvements for 7.8 as I can't upgrade as I had bought my Radar some months back.

ya..i can understand..

uopjo6 says:

They have to differentiate it from 8. That's why its 7.8.

Senkwe says:

Am I reading this correctly? Windows Phone 8 hardware will be obsolete in a year whereas iPhones won't be?

Etios says:

No, you are reading it wrong, WP8 will be updateable to WP8.5/9, then you get new support cycle, whereas its End of line for WP7.8.

blackhawk556 says:

You're wrong dude. You'll be upgraded to WP 9. Then you get and additional 18 months from whenever that update is released.

Senkwe says:

*phew* I get it now. I was ready to throw my phone out the window

where do you get the impression apple supports iphone? they move on with new hardware faster then anyone else dropping support for earlier versions. how many new iphone apps dnt work on 3's and 4's already.

travisel says:

WP8 based upon Dual-Core Snapdragon 4 MSM8960 Plus/Pro 32-bit ARMv7 technology, the next Windows Phone hardware will use the new Quad-Core Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 ARMv7 technology.

Iain_S says:

We are not even talking about hardware here folk, this is for OS level support, got nothing to do with hardware.

kinaton says:

Nope support stops, which is a polite way to say buy a new phone. As for iPhone, same old Os interface nothing new.

So WP7 devices have a longer cycle than WP8 devices?

Etios says:

Why not?? WP8 will be updateable to WP8.5/9, then you get new support cycle, whereas its End of line for WP7.8.

paulheu says:

Says who? There is no such announcement and it coudl well be, in fact there are several clues (including the slide in the article) that indicate 7.8 is not the final update the first and 2nd gen WP devices will see.

It has also been announced that current WP8 hardware will update to the next major version which, in turn, will also have an 18 month support cycle. That means WP8 devices will have a life cycle of at least three years from the release of WP8 before they can't be updated to a next major version.

Etios says:

Let them first solve the LAG in WP7.8, then we can dream about WP7.9

blackhawk556 says:

iOS 3.1.3 and above introduced lag to the iPhone 3g. Same thing with iOS5 on the iPhone 4. These things are well known. Older processors are not going to keep up. Upgrade your phone and be done with WP 7.x as soon as you're able to.

Etios says:

Compare side by side with an iphone 4 on ios6 vs WP7.8 , 7.8 lags like an android phone. I pay full unlocked price that is $700-$800, cant upgrade every 12 months.

rockstarzzz says:

What WP7 was costlier than my Lumia 920? God, you must live in a country that has really high taxes on phones!

Tjalsma says:

Thank goodness.  We all know how important those Windows Phone "security" updates are.

b23h says:

LOL, has there been malware on the WP platform??

kinaton says:

You mean bug fixes or a method of bring new bugs to the os

Etios says:

djSupport says:

Hone... I had to say it...

Copied directly from the above story:

So if the Lumia 920 gets upgraded to 9 ,or whatever the next OS will be, then it's EOL for support gets bumped up past 2014.

paras chugh says:

i think this article means that all those who have wp 8 and don't choose to update to wp9 will stop getting minor updates like 8.x from that date and those who update to wp9 will get a different and much later termination date
now the question arises why wouldn't one update to wp 9 .......i think for a wp 9 update we have to buy it like in the windows desktop environment IMO
what do u guys think?

blackhawk556 says:

Because WP 9 will most likely introduced lag like 7.8 did. iOS is known to introduce lag to older hardware everytime a new version is released. We better get ready for this.

XboxOmac says:

WP doesn't lag no matter how old the hardware is. That's why Windows Phone is that awesome.

Trappiste says:

L900 with 7.8 lags like a Nexus. And you can't downgrade back to 7.5. I'm sure the same will happen in WP 8 -> 8.X upgrade as well for L920 et al.

AngryNil says:

Sorry, no. 7.8 introduced some start screen launch delay, it's not pervasive lag throughout the OS.

schlubadub says:

7.8 introduced lag due to coding issues, not hardware. Many WP7 devices are still on par with mid to low-end WP8 devices.

We can at see from this, that a new version of the operating system must be ready early 2014.

poddie says:

Nothing to do with that. The timing is based on an 18 month support window, not when the next version is due.

NIST says:

Where is my hone?

zephyrwala says:

I feel sp happy for my Lumia 800
wooooohooooooo !!!!!

Update after the current 7.8 is promised by Nokia. HTC will be like whatever. I just want HTC to give us a bloody Bluetooth Share. Damn.. HTC sucks for support *-*

TashiJLE says:

This is such wonderful news. Go team Microsoft Windows Phone platform!

Hold on... WP9?  Whatever happened to Blue?

willied says:

To my understanding that is not actually the name for the software, just the name of the update cycle dealio that's coming...or something...

spakbaz says:

I will get iphone next time. At least apple covers users for several years with software upgrade etc. Even iphone 3GS which came out 3 years ago got ios 6. Microsoft didnt do the same for users. As for me i got lumia900 and its already looks ancient after just 1 year.

paulheu says:

Weird.. to me a Lumia 900 looks very much like the 920 as far as the UI goes.. And even 7.x looks alot fresher and modern then the ancient decade old interface of the iPhone5. Also, your 3GS does not run the same iOS6 the iPhone 4(s) and 5 run, but you knew that right? Your 3GS runs iOS6 minus;

• Maps flyover
  • Turn-by-turn navigation
  • FaceTime on 3G
  • Hearing aid support
  • VIP list
  • Offline Reading List
  • Siri

So effectively it just runs what it did before only the version string changed..

Paul: it's obviously a psychological matter.

b23h says:

ohmygod, I laughed so hard

polob says:

No reason to expect WP8 users won't be able to upgrade their current devices to WP9 /Blue /whatever next OS release is called. Think you're misinterpreting the article. :)

rockstarzzz says:

WTF dude!
WP7 released in October 2010 will be supported till September 2014 - 4 freaking years! How does your maths fail you so bad that you think it is not longer than iPhone 3? Be real or a troll - you choose.

Trappiste says:

When the OS (according to some random version number) was released is irrelevant. What matters is that people are buying WP 7.8 phones today. Those phones will run out of support half way through the 2 year contract. These people do not expect that.

Fail.

rockstarzzz says:

Of course it is not irrelevant. Microsoft makes OS and it supports OS. Hardware partners make hardware and they support hardware. You still get phones with Android Froyo and Gingerbread being sold. Low end handsets have their own market and users. So people buying WP7.8 will still get support till September 2014. They are in low end market. Those buying cheap WP7.x hardware are the people who don't care for the latest and the greatest to start with. So they won't care if they get an OS update or not because they don't care if they are using the latest and the greatest. They just want to spend less on their mobile experience. So these people do expect that. If I buy a Froyo or Gingerbread handset right now, I cannot expect it to upgrade to next version of OS. Simlarly if I buy an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4, I cannot expect to get the next OS iteration.

travisel says:

Like they did with WM6.5 ?

XboxOmac says:

We are still getting another major update, bro. 7.8 end of the line. Support for "7.8" will finish for 2014, but not for 7.9. 7.9 will be much later. Etc. Microsoft keeps all phones usable.

Iain_S says:

do whatever you feel you need to do, I will want to see what happens to all iphones below 5 when ios 7 is released, I think you will find that it will only really support the 5 and nothing below.

paulheu says:

I just love the fact people still seem to feel/think their phone stops working suddenly when the OS is no longer updated..

jddumawa says:

EOLed N9 user here, and yet still rocking it! :)

sent via N9

TechAbstract says:

WP8 devices with 512 RAM might not get WP9 but WP8.5 and other WP8.X updates. WP8 devices with 1GB RAM would get WP9 and WP9.X updates. Just my thought.

If I was a betting man I would say WP9 will not be made available to WP8 hardware rather those will stick with 8.x just like older ones are 7.x.

I doubt we will see WP9 this year, 8.5 sure but 9 will be 2014.

I ain't a betting man mind:)

poddie says:

MS has already stated that WP8 devices will be upgraded to the next version.

8.5 will be the next version just as 7.5 was

poddie says:

If you are implying that WP8 users will only get 8.5 and not whatever comes after, I think there is a certain amount of FUD spreading with that.  While there are no "for sures" in this game, the situation is quite different than 7.5 to 8 was.  That was a complete architecture replacement.  MS will not be looking to do that again any time soon.  And if it is a simple set of upgrades that leads to WP9 (or whatever), I fully expect them to update existing phones (though possibly without carrier and some manufacturer support, of course, similar to 7.8)

And of course, if you want to have the best chance buy Nokia.  They are the only ones that seem to be interested in the long haul.

travisel says:

We are okay till WP moves to 64-bit ARMv8 or Intel 64 hardware then our old 32-bit ARMv7 hardware WP8 smartphone can't run 64-bit software!

paras chugh says:

the wpcentral guys should surely write another article explaining this article in a more consumer related way so that they don't scare off potential wp8 buyers

TechAbstract says:

"So what does all this mean for consumers?
You're set to receive update notifications on your Windows Phone (regardless whether it's 7.8 or 8) until 2014. Those on older hardware will have upgrade to then take advantage of future major releases, while Windows Phone 8 devices should see the next major version of Windows Phone, which will then kick off another support cycle."

Like that?

paras chugh says:

i had read that a several times in the article as well as the comments but there are many who just see the headline and skim through the content quickly.....thats why many are are askin about this in comments

they should make another article around this content to explain and clear confusions

paras chugh says:

have you even read the comments that are coming right now.....tell this to those guys also......they seem to agree with my point

I'm not attacking you, nor anyone for that matter, just thought people here, who pass knowledge about the platform, would be a little more interested in understanding.

b23h says:

"Yeah, like put the entire article in the title because people are too lazy and dig to whine. Fast."

funny!!!

That's good for all the people that we have our devices with a contract of 2 years , but this is great support if you ask me better than android they don't even get a update and we will get support for 18 months so this is great.

Wevenhuis says:

This message is still quite vague. It's the first time I here about "security updates" on windows phone. So what does it all really mean? What happens after september 2014? What are the consequences of not updating? What will this mean for the apps? What will this mean for apps streaming content. What will this mean for clients. What will this mean fro the marketplace and windows phone store? What will this mean for app submission and bugsupport for apps?

akar33 says:

What will this mean for the mouth that just can't shut up?

dukrem says:

"What are the consequences of not updating?" None, no new features are added, the features it has keep working.

"What will this mean for the apps?" They keep working, the app store keeps working, but the rate of new apps on the store slow down as the number of people with 7.8 devices drops.

"What will this mean for apps streaming content". Nothing, absolutely nothing. Updates do not affect the connection between the phone and the internet, apps will still stream content as they have before.

"What will this mean fro the marketplace and windows phone store? What will this mean for app submission and bugsupport for apps?" The support is only for updates, the store will continue to operate. As mentioned above the rate of apps published for 7.8 will decrease as the user base does. Microsoft, like apple and google, takes a 30% cut from app purchases in the store to pay for maintenance of the store and the app submission process.

Keep in mind most sub $350 android handsets will never see an update, yet they continue to work just fine, the store is still accessible, apps still work (well, sometimes, but that is more a cheap android thing than a support thing).

djctz says:

The Lumia 900 runs and performs way better than an iPhone though...

Munkeyphyst says:

Oh boy. I read this article and just knew it would unleash a torrent of misinformed, misguided outrage over the "pathetic" support from "M$"...

To be fair, I think the article is quite clear, MS will be rolling major OS updates every 18 month, with the corresponding lifecycle support. What's the problem ?

Munkeyphyst says:

No, I agree. I got it and understood clearly, but I knew many would see "WP8 support will end in 2014" and immediately begin to fling feces in outrage.

TechAbstract says:

"WP8 support will end in 2014, time to buy a new phone"

cdbstl76 says:

RELAX AND PAY ATTENTION! I think it just goes to show people in general don't know what's going on. They just want things to work and continue working. Many people would have been better off skipping this article, as they clearly don't understand what certain things mean. Its not their fault, as many of us are more tuned into tech matters and just have a better understanding of what this means. It may have been better for many to ask questions, get a nice response, and spread the knowledge kindly. However, there are people who clearly jump off the ledge without reading the entire article or reading all previous posts, just as there are people who like to respond to questions any a condescending tone, and berate people who asks them. Its a vicious cycle. We all need to relax, take a breath, and quit ruining things for everyone else(this goes for both sides)

Fritzly says:

What about OEMs and carriers? They are the ones which will determine who will get updates and which ones....

rluka says:

Could also mean they will release it every 2 years.

Number out of nowhere for example:
- Windows Phone x.0 released.
- Enjoy it for 6 months, smaller updates if they feel like it.
- Windows Phone x.0.1 released.
- Enjoy it for 6 months, smaller updates if they feel like it.
- Windows Phone x.1 released.
- Enjoy it for 6 months, smaller updates if they feel like it.
- Windows Phone x.1.1 released, hopefully.
- Enjoy it for 6 months, but no more update promised for this device.
- Windows phone xi released, buy new device.

Problem is, the 18 months promise is from when the device is released. If you buy the device... say, 6 months after release, you only get 12 months of said promised update. It's like buying second hand gadget with transferrable warranty that's 1/3 expired.

ricardios says:

I saw Die Windows Phone in the screen capture title...

Eas195 says:

it's the language other than English, so the 'Die Windows Phone' means different too.

poddie says:

WPCentral, please pull this article and rewrite it in much simpler terms. Those who don't read it carefully and don't use logic are greatly confused by it and spreading all sorts of misinformation. Thanks

polob says:

An edit might not be a bad idea. Anyone who actually read it through with some degree of attention probably got it - by the end.. But the comments seem to show there's at least as much misunderstanding as understanding...

Vlad C says:

Agreed. Confusing article is confusing. Had to read the comments to understand why WP 7 will be supported longer than WP 8.

b23h says:

I do agree that is an interesting question.   Why does support for WP7 end in September and support for WP8 end in July.   Did 7.5 reset the support cycle?   Is that difference because 7.8 reset the support cycle?   Does that imply that WP8 will not get any updates that will reset the support cycle (other than the update to WP9)?

I've seen the responses by others stating that 7.8 reset the support cycle, but I do believe that these questions and this confusion is in fact understandable.

DennisvdG says:

Lol everybody keeps asking the same question without reading other comments

S_C_B says:

Reading and comprehension are fundamental.

kreativx says:

So I just got my L920 yesterday and I'm loving it, but just reading this article was it a bad move for me to make?

Munkeyphyst says:

Well, you're loving it, so how can that be a bad move? It will get updates for long after your update cycle. There will always be a bigger better model coming soon, but if you love your phone, that's a win. :) I also have a 920 and love it. Hell, we bought my wife's 900 after the 920 was released because it was so cheap, and it's still an awesome phone that does everything she needs and more.

DennisvdG says:

No, not in my opinion at least, imagine having bought the L900 6 months ago! not to say its a bad phone but you know what I mean, it not even getting wp8... Im pretty confident us L920 owners and other current high end wp8 devices will get wp9 which makes it a good purchase in my mind

TechAbstract says:

Lumia 920 will get WP9. Good move not bad lol

akar33 says:

This works just like the desktop Windows cycle. More coherent.

testement says:

If Mircosoft is gonna support WP7 till 2014 can they make it work with Windows 8.
I still have to connect my phone to my Mac to put music on it instead of my Surface RT .

dukrem says:

Yeah, it is annoying not being able to connect without zune. The problem is WP8 is relatively standalone with OTA updates and such. The current WP8 software on windows 8 is really basic and fairly rubbish. It would require a huge over hall to implement WP7 support on Win 8 or RT. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I just wouldn't be too optimistic.

In the end its part of why I upgraded to a Lumia 620. It's cheap and honestly compares quite favourably in every aspect to even last years high end 7.8 devices.

If I get bricked again, hello android! And yes I read the article, sounds pretty vague if you ask me.

scdkad says:

Where does it say there's going to be a WP9?
Also what security updates? Never got any labeled as such besides that certificate one about 2 years ago..

That would pretty awkward for MS to announce WP9 in such a way. But, anyway, people are trying to see this article in the mist negative way possible. WP is dead, game over (joining the parade, who knows, might be fun :) )

DavidinCT says:

So, if Verizon gets the 928, Does this mean Microsoft will stop supporting it in July 8th 2014 ? That is not 18 months as it said. Thought it was release of a phone or is it just the OS ? Wow, not even 15 months never mind 18 months. Glad I wont sign a contract for it...

That 18 month window SHOULD be when a phone model is released, NOT when the OS is released. So WP9 goes final, we dont see phones in the stores for 3 months after, So the 18 months is already 15 months and what happends when a carrer like Verizon (trophy example) does not get phones till almost like 9 months later ???  Does that mean we will only get 9 months out of a 2 year contract for support for updates ?

I hope someone figures out how to Unlock/Root WP8 devices, As if they release WP 9 on July 9th, no devices will be supported and our only way to upgrade is in a hack of some type or buy a new device and that is BS when current models are dual core devices.

I understand Microsoft's point of view but, this sounds like a good way to screw the end user. So lesson learned, if a new model is released with WP8 in the next few months, DONT BUY IT because you take the chance of having an outdated phone and less than 1/2 a year....

Am I wrong the way I see it here ?

MS supports the operating system, not the hardware. MS itself is still supporting every WP since it debuted 2,5 years ago. I bought my L800 the day it came out it's still supported and will be for at least more than one year, so I fail to get your logic.

b23h says:

This is somewhat an tangent of an answer to your question.   Right now I have a HTC HD 7 running on T-Mobile's 4g monthly program.  $30 dollars a month but only 100 minutes (I don't talk a lot on the phone).  I bought my phone without a contract about ten months ago.  The phone was bought new but came out in November 2010!

I was able to update from Zune/T-Mobile from 7 to 7.5.  However neither HTC or T-Mobile has released 7.8 for my phone.  I've been able to do the cab update method via instructions in the forum  from member sinlessearth here at the site, in order to update to the 7.8 version that came out two days ago.  That was an fairly easy process and did not require any sort of rooting or anything like that.

I love that freaking phone.  It is so much more stable than the two Android phones that I was running on Virgin Mobile.   Those phones drove me frakking crazy with reboots and weird occurances.  I only got one update for either of those versions of Android.  There are some apps that I do miss.   Mostly the official Redbox app and a couple of others.  I am too old to care much about Instragram.

lubbalots says:

"Distribution of updates maybe controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer" May god have mercy on us all! How or when will WP, a closed system OS, be upgraded to Apple like status?

DJCBS says:

As long as my Lumia 920 can run WP9 until 2015, I'm ok with this. If they do another trick like the 7.8 one, well, then I know what I'll do come January 2015. And it won't be "buying a new Windows Phone".

I'm with you there, but honestly it would be suicide to do that again, but to be fair I now tend to believe the technological reasons, seeing the committed support to WP7. WP7.x are still pretty valid devices, and support until Sep 14 is more than fair. I'm a firm believer WP8 devices will be upgradable to new OS versions.

DJCBS says:

The only thing I wonder is if the support for WP7 until 2014 isn't the result of: 1 - people NOT buying WP8 when they bought a WP7 not even 1 year before (condradicting Microsoft's hope that they could replicate Apples hability to make people buy new iPhones every year); and 2 - the fact that 7.8 is a huge flop which hasn't even arrived to all WP7 devices (actually, has only arrived to a few)

travisel says:

I'm on a 3 year contract with my ATIV S till December 2015!
By then I hope WP has moved on to 64-bit ARMv8 or Intel 64 hardware technology.

Let the 64-bit Smartphone begin!

strokee says:

For crying out loud, people. Read the entire article a couple of times, then read all of the comments here before posting. The same questions are being asked/answered over-and-over-and-over...

Eas195 says:

+999999999999999

"for a period of 18 months after the lifecycle start date"
This not fair, in US we sign 24 month contracts so MS support ends before the 2 year contract ends, what about people who purchase phones few months after the phone is released ?

God... It's not the phone, it's the operating system, as long as your phone is upgradeable you're good. Example: see above, but I say it again my Lumia 800 will have support, at least Sep 2014, and I bought it one year ago, that adds up to 3 years, because it had the 7.8 upgrade. I like to help, but I'm giving up....

procen says:

Are you saying you're giving up explaining the same thing over and over? :-P

I will probably have the latest windows phone by July 2014, so this sounds good. I just hope my games, achievements and stuff like that carry over.
when i went from phone 7 to 8, some game purchases like angry birds, were forcing me to re-purchase because of some xbox live integration issue.

That's very odd, Live is kinda independent if WP, I'm a long time Xbox user, and my licenses always carried and appear listed in my purchase history.

@Slayer

That is true. For some reason angry birds on phone 7 is not live branded. But phone 8 version is. So when I got my 820 if I wanted angry birds I had to pay for it again. Eventually I simply decided not to buy anymore rovio games.

DJCBS says:

Actually he should have specified that it was Angry Birds Star Wars and Space that didn't carried from WP7 to WP8. I had the same problem. Because SW and Space on WP7 don't have Xbox, you had to buy them again. Which is stupid. But luckily the games only cost 0.99€. It would be far worse had it been some of those who cost 4.99€ or 6.50€,

jmshub says:

People may not be familiar with Microsoft, but this is the language they use.

For instance, windows 7 is three years old, and is officially no longer supported. That doesn't mean that Microsoft has orphaned Win7. It means that if you have a Win7 PC, you need to put ServicePack 1 on your PC. Microsoft is officially supporting Windows 7 SP1. It is more complicated than is strictly necessary, but it is how they do it.

Fritzly says:

The critical difference is that any update for,W7 is,delivered to you directly by MS; here,you have OEMs, carriers handling it.... A lot of if in my book.

Ridlah says:

That can only mean that windows phone 9 or what ever is next will be something windows phone 8 devices won't be able to handle either that or they will do an 8.9 to keep existing users as new customers.

How did you reach that conclusion ?

rockstarzzz says:

MSFT have told at least 3 times that WP8 will get WP9. Now if you want to stick to FUDs, happy weekend!

b23h says:

Hello troll "Ridlah".

Are you bored?   Do you have nothing else to do?

Your post is incorrect and is contradicted by both the article and the comments of the article.

Bing/Google for WP8 upgradeable, you'll get official statements by MS saying the WP7 wont happen with 8. But, yeah whatever... .

strokee says:

Ain't nobody got time for these same repeated questions :-)

My phones never live that long

dbld_INDY says:

I am waiting on windows phone 10x

travisel says:

WP10 will be next generation 64-bit Smartphone. (ARMv8 or Intel 64)

ninjaap says:

The industry and everyone else for that matter needs to stick with the standard language prevent (or at least it used to be). It used to mean that UPDATES were were smaller and incrimental like 7.5, 7.8, 7.x and UPGRADES were larger, brand new version like 7.0, 8.0, 9.0.

travisel says:

We don't know if "M$ Blue" update to be called WP8.1 or WP8.5, WP9 especially yet!

As long if we can run a cut down version of the next OS I'm fine, next generation WP hardware is going to be awesome! MSM8974

DrewLumia900 says:

That is pathetic! I have already been shafted as a Windows Phone 7.5 User who didn't get the 7.8 update. Now if I buy a Windows Phone 8 device I will only be supported for another 1.5 years at most when I am on a 3 year contract with my carrier? Get a F'ing grip Microsoft. Decide now, are you in the Mobile business or NOT?

doron050 says:

you will be able to upgrade to WP9 soo you will have another year and a half

ladydias says:

Please learn to read. If not the article then at least the comments otherwise you are just trolling at this point whether you mean to or not. You're question/statement has been answered/replied to six-ways to Sunday.

cybermoose89 says:

Doesn't sound like problem what evers the latest windows phone ill have it provided its Nokia i hope

Ok why is this so confusing for some of you? Devices that shipped with 8.x will get 18 months of support from the release of the OS version THEY shipped with. The new 18 months cycle after that only affects devices released AT THAT TIME. Current devices are NOT obligated to receive an additional 18 months of support.

thaman04 says:

Actually it's software based not hardware.

You guys & gals making this sound like a good thing. MS is given up on us after a few years. I know Nokia would not have been so quick to screw us.

thaman04 says:

Learn to read buddy.  You're still getting WP9 if you have a WP8 device.  They are stopping updates to WP8 after July 2014, meaning you must upgrade to WP9 if you want to continue to receive updates.

chuckyj1 says:

I am currrently overseas and am intersted in WP's in general.  But, I'm not sure when I get back I can get one in good faith.  Just doesn't seem like it's gaining any traction in the marketplace.  I don't want to get a phone that will no longer receive updates less then a year after I get the phone.  Sorry MS, but unless something changes in the next 8 months you've probably just lost yourself a customer.  With this announcement.  Looks like Ballmer has been a failure... after, the demise of windows Phone and the Surface RT and Surface Pro all failed it's time for new leadership.  I'm actually kind of worried about the next Xbox now...But I have faith they wont fudge that up to...

denis7 says:

OK, but have you actually tried reading the article?

travisel says:

People...we are all good till 64-bit Smartphone comes!

64-bit Smartphone using ARMv8 or Intel 64 hardware will be the biggest change to all 32-bit software!

I'll fire up my zune software right now to update to Windows Phone 9.

Oh my........... I can't believe how people can't read something, have it explained to them 50 times in essentially the same way, and still can't comprehend what is being said, or what it means! And we wonder why other countries excel, and we have fallen so far behind....... Sheeeesh!

Pages