Some old Xbox games get a 2nd Life

Xbox gamers can now put Microsoft Jigsaw together on Windows 8

Microsoft's planned surprise today was indeed another Android smartphone dubbed Nokia X2

Games

My Little Pony brings love and friendship to the realms of Windows and Windows Phone

Have fun learning the alphabet with Elmo Loves ABCs for Windows 8 and RT

Lost Echo, a 3D action adventure game jumps from iOS to Windows Phone Store

Microsoft's secret list of Android patents revealed by Chinese government

Watch the full response as to why Microsoft is considering Cortana for iOS and Android

Dream of Pixels unleashes beautiful puzzles on Windows Phone

Games

Duckie Deck Sandwich Chef is a fun and creative Windows Phone game for preschool kids

Touch-friendly version of Office reportedly headed to Android before Windows 8

Ice Rage: Hockey, a smashing Windows Phone game full of body checks

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Disney releases two new Windows Phone 8 games, Lost Light and JellyCar 3

As expected, Disney Solitaire comes to Windows Phone 8

JoyBits brings Doodle Creatures and Around the World to Windows Phone 8

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Minesweeper updated for the 21st century in Microsoft Treasure Hunt, coming soon to your Surface

Games

Blazin' Aces arrives in the Windows Phone Store, let the dogfights begin!

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Tentacles: Enter the Mind coming to Windows 8 this summer

Kochadaiiyaan The Legend Reign of Arrows lands in the Windows Phone Store

Puzzle Craft for Windows Phone 8

Popular and addictive Puzzle Craft comes to Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, beats Android again

We may be picking a bit here on Android, but as many Windows Phone users know we are not familiar with getting games first or second. That’s why when we see Brotherhood of Violence and now Puzzle Craft go to Windows Phone 8 (and Windows 8) ahead of Android, we get a little excited.

Puzzle Craft is made by popular game makers Chillingo (though ported by SYZYGY Deutschland GmbH for WP8/Windows RT) and has been described as “…if The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Bejeweled had a baby”. If you’ve ever engaged in Farmville-like online games and happen to like the easier aspects of Bejeweled, this game is for you.

It’s also completely free with no ads. Yowza.

Loading up the game on our ATIV S with that nice long 720 aspect ratio, we were greeted with the game perfectly using up all of the display. Featuring HD graphics, excellent sound and really well-paced tutorials, the game feels like it should be an Xbox LIVE title. It’s very polished.

Puzzle Craft for Windows Phone 8

From the game description:

“Some villagers have started a new settlement and they've put you in charge. In Puzzle Craft you take control of an entire populace and must help them grow their settlement into a bustling city! To do this you will need to farm, mine, collect taxes, hire workers and more. Blending two forms of gameplay for the first time, Puzzle Craft is as unique as it is addicting.”

We’ve only been playing it for 20 minutes are thoroughly engrossed in it. If you enjoy paced, casual games whereby you build up towns and infrastructure you really can’t go wrong with Puzzle Craft either for your Windows Phone 8 device or Surface (but unlike the amazing and addictive Galactic Reign, the two won’t sync with each other…so play pick wisely if you want to avoid duplication).

A new trend?

Puzzle Craft for Windows 8

Dare we say, nearly five months after Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 launched, things for Microsoft may finally be shifting? Either these games are exceptions—studios that Microsoft asked to create titles—or developers are finally taking advantage of the RT framework and overlapping developer tools, including native gaming engine support for easier ports from iOS.

All we know is that in the last few days, we’ve had numerous games or features land on Windows Phone before Android, and for once, we feel good.

(For fun, tip your Surface to portrait mode with the game and see what happens).

Pick up Puzzle Craft here (Windows Phone 8 with 1GB of RAM only) and check out its bigger brother for Windows RT here in the Microsoft Store. Highly recommended.

Thanks, Ian, for the tip!

QR: Puzzle Craft

Comments

Jnbs says:

No love for 512MB users :'(

jorime says:

1GB? Really? 20 years ago my Amiga500 games ran on 1MB RAM and looked better.

Flagz says:

With background services such as notifications running with cellular data and WiFi data being managed for in app purchases and calls with the ability to use your music collection/streaming music collection to play music as you play a game?

tavisdunn says:

Now THIS is refreshing to see.

DreadVenom says:

Woop,woop. WP has made the inroads necessary and we are now seeing the rewards. I have a feeling MS is quietly putting in a shift in the background. Keep the ball rolling.

hbkzara says:

bein playin it for about a week..good game

Thank you Daniel for mentioning the target audience in the last paragraph. Very excited!

Murani Lewis says:

I'd actually hope for both reasons being the cause of the trend we're seeing. Microsoft should be proactively creating titles for the platform. Developers have now had the SDKs long enough to start knowing their way around the code to produce some nice titles.

lippidp says:

I don't play games much, but I love beating Android/Google. Sock it to em!

Where cs portable!!!!!!!

Been playing this for maybe 2 weeks or a little less but fantastic game to pass time with!

pookiewood says:

Nice! I downloaded this game on my daughters Win8 laptop last week. Going to have to grab this.

AskaLangly says:

I had this. Found W8 version better.

BroszB4 says:

This app is killing not only my time, but my mind, I close my eyes and see swipe patterns and how many carrots I can get from the wheat I'm swiping......

jiayit says:

I know right! I close my eyes and I can picture the field. /first world problems

Calintz Tan says:

Wondering how WP8 mid-range devices going to benefit from the lack of high quality games due the limitation of ram. It's such a bummer everytime I see a nice game and 1GB ram bundled together.

jjrdias says:

I'd be happier seeing VLC or Dice Player making their way to WP.

@Jjrdias - VLC did wrap up a kick starter last December. They said they will have some news in three months from then. I expect some updates from them in April

poken1151 says:

Is there a feedback system for the game? I really like it, however I don't think the bonus tile thing is working. So I farm, it says I made enough grass to warrant one Wheat, but it never adds on to the wheat. Or to anything else that spawns a bonus.
So where would one leave this note? (Besides here)

poken1151 says:

So where would one leave this note? (Besides here)

BroszB4 says:

It doesn't add it to your inventory, it just adds an extra wheat tile that you can collect.

Pluckcharm says:

Lets not get too cocky though, or else fandroids are gonna start sayin you don't have this or that

dukrem says:

I suspect the 1GB RAM limitation may be a side effect of rapid porting from iOS without spending much time on WP specific optimisation. Might be a good idea for Nokia to take notice and up the RAM on all handsets to 1GB, it may add a few $ (not many) to the cost of a handset but it better than the alternative. Fewer target users that can buy and play these games will result in fewer ports.

Got this last weekend. Don't know what to do next after getting the castle. :p