Lumia 520

Time for Shopping

Amazon.in app arrives on Windows Phone

xbox one

Xbox One goes for pre-order in India

Add a personal touch to your orders with Amazon's 3D printing store

Amazon launches Kindle Unlimited, a new ebook rental service for $9.99 a month

Amazon launches a dedicated storefront for wearable devices

Amazon integrates Audible in Kindle for iPhone and Android, whither Windows Phone?

Amazon has Sandisk SD Cards on sale for your Windows Phone

App Update Roundup: Navigon bumped to Windows Phone 8.1, My Trips gets redesigned, and more

Amazon rebrands its Windows Phone app, adding new functionality

Microsoft gets decent clean energy marks from Greenpeace

Microsoft announces Azure price cuts to combat Amazon and Google

Windows Phones

Deal alert: Nokia Lumia 1020 (AT&T) for $49 at Amazon

Windows Phones

Nokia giving away $10 gift vouchers for opinions on their Lumia 1520 (invite only)

Tablets

Lenovo ThinkPad 8 is now available at Amazon

Get the Lumia 920 for just $200 on eBay, then head to Amazon for Xbox Live Gold savings

Deal Alert: grab the Nokia Lumia 720 from Amazon UK for just £180

Amazon rep hints at Instant Video app in the works for Windows Phone

Deal Alert: Black Nokia Lumia 520 available for £69.95 at Amazon UK

Nokia Lumia 520 and Lumia 521 are the Amazon Gold Box Deals of the Day

Former Windows Phone general manager, Charlie Kindel moves to Amazon

Charlie Kindel

The name Charlie Kindel should ring a bell or two. The long-time Microsoft employee was part of the Windows Phone team and left Microsoft over a year ago. According to GeekWire, Kindel is said to be on the move to Amazon. After 21 years at Microsoft, including the position of general manager on the Windows Phone team, what's Kindel going to be tasked with at Amazon?

It's not known, and he's reportedly keeping stomped about it all. It could well spark more speculation and rumours that Amazon is looking to ready a mobile platform. Kindel did leave Microsoft to launch BizLogr, which has developed an automated mileage reporting tool for businesses. Amazon has already been rumoured to at least be looking into the development of a smartphone.

Does the market require yet another company to dive into mobile development? It depends on whether Amazon will plan to go down the road on its own, or attempt to enter the fragmented Android market. Kindel announced the move to Amazon on his personal blog, with some truths and April Fool's content. We'll take the leap with others and believe Kindel is indeed joining Amazon.

We previously looked at reports of Amazon testing an upcoming smartphone last year, but we were fairly sceptical with the sheer competition on Android, not to mention iOS, BlackBerry and Windows Phone already being established. Could Amazon pull off a smartphone (or a platform) of its own, or can we look to see more support for current hardware with richer app experiences?

Charlie Kindel isn't the first Microsoft employee to jump ship to Amazon. Former Windows Phone Executive Robert Williams and Director of Developer Experience Brandon Watson have also made the move. Is the company slowly building up resources for a launch on the horizon? Only time will tell.

Source: GeekWire, via: CNET

Comments

Mystictrust says:

I foresee many (cheesy) Kindle jokes in Mr Kindel's future at Amazon. Well, I hope Amazon's new Kindel makes a splash...

...I'll show myself out...

wbeckle says:

Hey look, he's using an iPhone :)

Jnbs says:

If using an iphone and moving to amazon, he was never a true MSFT employee

rodneyej says:

He was never as dedicated to WP as we are.. I suspect there are many other MS employees who don't have the passion for WP that we do....

scr says:

Funny, it was the first thing that got my attention too :)
I think it's good for MS to lose one more iPhone guy :)

mango.lover says:

He lost me after tweeting last week that his wife and daughter said "Windows 8 sucks". Good riddance.

WinFan1 says:

Anyone with that attitude about msft was never a msft employee.

Jnbs says:

No wonder.. I mean his name is Kindle i mean Kindel LoL

After he helped destroying Microsoft he now will do his best with Amazon. God bless Amazon to survive this.

yellowmage says:

Am I the only one who finds that picture slightly creepy?

kubimonsta says:

i thought it was a bare ass on the livetile

mts1711 says:

good one

Ok so lol to all of the kindle jokes... Out with the old, in with the new...i wonder what's next for WP? Anybody heard anything recent about the WP major update later on this year?

rodneyej says:

I keep asking around bit nobody has any news. Did you see the video of the new Bing search voice recognition that MS Research is working on for WP? It kind of gives us a clue about what they might be preparing for later this year.

I forgot to comment about Amazon's possible smartphone...it would be weird, like Barnes n nobles making a nook phone... But to each its own...

diego3336 says:

The whole Windows Phone team should be fired, including the major jerk Joe Belfiore.

dreamfly says:

Wow, how dare you?  and I agree!!!

rodneyej says:

Actually they have some cool members like Michael Stroh, Ben Rudolph, and many others.. Your comment was not very well thought out, and inconsiderate!

Shishir Bhat says:

Hey, not Joe Belfiore! Love the guy's enthusiasm and I'm sure he's doing a great job. WP needs improvements, yes, but if the alternative is using Android, heck, I'd prefer even the first version of WP7.

grd1070 says:

Does anyone know who took over for Brandon Watson? I don't think anyone reaches out to developers like Brandon used to...

Omen1393 says:

I've been wondering the same thing.  What's more interesting is the fact that Brandon Watson is now working at Amazon too.

I mean who doesnt think amazon is doing a phone. they probably have several prototypes. I also wouldnt call it another fragmented android because it will look almost nothing like android, just like their tablets. this guy isnt coming in to have them put windowsphone OS on amazons new phone.

lippidp says:

Yeah, why not?  Maybe they can sell a Kindle phone that is free and also includes free data if you sign up for their whatever service.  That could be a big seller...

GarrettSR5 says:

You can read his website here
Or his blog

He is a legend in the small E34 BMW world for this page http://www.kindel.com/BMW/
His vehicles have been featured on Bringatrailer.com before as well.

He's a good dude and will be missed from the M$ community.

inteller says:

so basically Brandon Watson recruited him and he had to wait for his one year non compete to be up.

Lame Amazon, real lame.

Idk much about the Kindel guy or Watson guy either, all I know is that major companies do this all the time...i can't think of one major corporation that has not hired execs from another major corporation including competitors. Google, eBay,Apple, even non/not for profits like the Red Cross. I believe eBay and Google were in litigation about this exec baiting a few years back. Basically if you've managed an exec position at a major company and decide to leave, you either are going to be an exec at another major company or start your own... Other than that I don't really know the guy, did he do great stuff?

backlashsid says:

yes...he chose the live tile shape to be a square...Ms was going with triangles earlier !

Did he really? If so, than he did great, because if there were tiangles or any other shapes beside square, I would have NOT purchased a WP! The square/rectangular tiles fit so nicely together and still provide a clean, crisp, and refreshing look....Triangular tiles would be too weird and not pleasing to the eye for me... :)

Ticomfreak says:

Wait you're not serious, are you?

Honestly Everybody involved with WP gave this guy alot of cred but I dont understand why. He dogged out WP on his site, in interviews, and every where else I saw him. Its funny too because he had alot of power to actually do something to help the platform but decided to slam it instead. I bet he will be just as dedicated to Amazon.

Tomasz S. says:

It seems WP was only his job and not his passion

PGWP says:

I met Charlie on MS campus for a Windows Home Server competition back in 2007 that I was invited to as a contestant, hes a nice guy and was definately passionate about his job and Microsoft.  Maybe he just wasnt able to get things done the way he wanted at MS because of how managment is setup, who knows but he definately is smart and was devoted to the job.  Theres no reason to bash him just because he choose to work somewhere else.

Tips_y says:

There are other ex-MS people that have moved-on to other companies and who are treated with respect and fondness by WP fans. It's the way this Kindel character disses WP after he left that irritates WP fans and make them bash him.

slmsd1968 says:

Hopefully he will make Amazon make a MP3 player app for WP ;)

Danlocker says:

Iv heard Micheal Lovphilm Is moving to Amazon too....

haha, I'm crying here! Thanks for the laugh :-)

ihavewp8 says:

Who cares let him go that traitor. Look at his ugly baldy looks. He too old anyway

Ticomfreak says:

Microsoft should hire me in a year ;-)

KingCrimson says:

Good riddance, he never was a real team player.

OMG55 says:

And to think I thought this guy was cool! Apparently he's nothing but self absorbed and things went sour with MS when they killed his courier project. I hope no one in this forum agreed with him and thought the courier could compete with the likes of the ipad/ipad mini, Nexus tablets, or even the surface pro/rt. The courier ended up being exaclty what it should have been, "An App". He was so resentful that he made the app for competing platforms only; Let's face it, this guy milked the MS cow for all he could then left. One last thing, I guess his startup didn't perform as well as he thought it would and ended up just like the courier project, "DEAD"!