Legal Drama!

Samsung incurs the wrath of Microsoft

Calculator Toolbox updated, adds OneDrive integration and more

Samsung releases ATIV BizCard scanning app for Windows Phone

Armed robbers raid Brazilian Samsung factory for 40,000 devices

Samsung, Intel and Dell create a consortium for connected devices

Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Samsung's bringing HDR, Smooth and Slow video to their Windows Phone 8.1 app

EU and South Korea working together to develop 5G networks

Official Flipkart Windows Phone app updated, adds push notifications and more

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

The Official Dailymotion Windows Phone app is redesigned with the latest update

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Intel and Samsung teaming up for lower-cost 4K monitors

Microsoft pokes fun at Samsung's Heathrow advertising, fails to book flight to the Galaxy

Games

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Copy This updated with Windows Phone 8.1 support and Cortana integration

Disney Expedition updated, adds FastPass+ support to the mix

Flipkart eBooks refreshes their Windows Phone app to compete with Amazon Kindle in India

< >

Samsung continues to support Windows Phone, releases app updates

Samsung App Updates

Samsung has released a number of updates for its collection of Windows Phone apps, found on the Samsung Zone. We can confirm that a number of notifications have been received for multiple apps. It's good to see Samsung continuing to support Windows Phone with updates to its core list of apps exclusively available to customers. So what's been updated?

We've counted four apps:

Unfortunately, we could not locate a change log for each app, so do shout out in the comments if you've noticed anything in the latest versions. You can locate all the apps mentioned in this article over in the Samsung Zone on the Windows Phone Store (use the above links or below QR codes).

QR: Now     QR: Music Hub

QR: Photo Editor     QR: MiniDiary

Comments

Sean Burns1 says:

Wow you call that support?? A few measly apps

DenniSundaY says:

It's more support then HTC is giving there Windows phones...

Montpbm says:

Yes agreed 100%

xconomicron says:

agreed....I'm actually kind of shocked that Samsung is even updating these apps.  I would've thought it would be HTC over Samsung if at all.

Anywho... HTC apps that need updating include: HTC Hub .... <well, everything but the Flashlight app and Photo Enchancer>

Arlensu says:

It is true! The coleest extra htc exclusive app it is a general info app that give you time, weather and stock!

rebel_yell says:

I've stopped hoping for ONE simple firmware update to cure the disappearing keyboard on my Titan. Now it doesn't know my location so Search button, Local scout, Music ID, and Navigation no longer work. Just biding my time until contract expiration and then HELLO latest Nokia. Once that is accomplished the phone brand Roulette wheel will stop. Samsung is right out. After owning a Galaxy S, I concluded that Sam had Sung his last tune. (ha ha. get it? pretty damn funny) Why is everyone leaving?

shahidw says:

Where is Freaking HTC? Wake up!!

tbonenga says:

HTC is broke. They've cut the money to promote the one. They just don't have they funds. I'd love to see Microsoft buy them and turn the ship around before it's to late.

contributorM says:

Microsoft hardly support its own phone platform. So don't hold your breath.

tbonenga says:

You gotta point

callomancave says:

Really? You sound bitter. Microsoft has updated the Surface every month since it's been out. Windows Phone has been updated at least quarterly.

venom5150 says:

You are mistaken. MS does support Windows Phone 100%. They do it through Nokia. Look it up

casab1anca says:

Perhaps this is just a PR stunt to provide an illusion of updates without actually changing anything.

tbonenga says:

Well I guess HTC is being honest by showing no support for the high end 8X. I haven't got 1 update since I got it Christmas..

I've had 3 updates on mine...what's your carrier? You know the carriers have the final say of whether or not you get the update... Some carriers are supportive with updates and some aren't. :(

tbonenga says:

T-Mobile and I got a OS update but no HTC app updates

DenniSundaY says:

Beats audio and attentive touch got updates but that was before Christmas so I think those were pre-installed on your phone. But all the apps in the marketplace from HTC did got updated too..

dalydose says:

Damn Nokia and their exclusives. Fragmentation. (Buyer's Remorse) Wait...this is Samsung?  Oh well...
INSTAGRAM NOW or I'm leaving the platform.

WinFan1 says:

the first step to any addict is to admit they have a problem.
enjoy another platform.

mikefeero says:

Precisely. As much as I would hate to see people switch, I'll gladly hold the door open for anyone who isn't willing to open their eyes and embrace the loads of great apps we do have.

dalydose says:

You are aware that I was joking and making fun of all the criers

teoami says:

You should probably use the "/s" tag for something like that. Sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet.

dalydose says:

I see your point. It's also funny to me that sounding as ridiculous as I could was taken seriously. :)

gerrymad says:

Why would anybody think that sounded ridiculous? It sounded just like a lot of other serious posts :)

Dude, he's obviously mocking the trolls that always show up on these articles.

rebel_yell says:

It was the "INSTAGRAM NOW or I'm leaving the platform" that gave it away. That horse has been beaten to death a thousand times over. Only a first class moron or a true, veteran smart ass would throw that quip into a totally unrelated post straight out of the clear blue sky. And with such panache, I might add.

No OEM except Nokia seems to take Windows Phone seriously. They need to wakeup. Android's not everything!

pazces84 says:

At least you Samsung and HTC guys aren't dealing with the LTE connectivity issues us Lumia 920's owners have been having :/ ...

Prodigy11 says:

Luckily not an AT&T customer...

Its not that big of an issue.

pazces84 says:

You don't consider missed calls and delayed text messages on a MOBILE device "that big of an issue."
Interesting...

x I'm tc says:

It's weird, my L920 has had every issue that L920s have, which is a ton (I think it is time to call this phone a lemon, no?).  But this particular issue, I have not had.

My new issue after the firmware update is that the proximity sensor went from deactivating my phone every time I was on a call (so that I could not do things like hang up) to never deactivating my phone, even if I put a book over it.  Fortunately, I can use the power button to toggle the screen, but it's still annoying.

rebel_yell says:

Wow! That had all the earmarks of a sniper round from 1,760 yards. Your aim, however, was a bit low.

TylerCassar says:

I believe Samsung is just putting out empty updates to please its users... HTC, WAKE UP and give ur Users something >.>

tbonenga says:

What do you expect from HTC? They cancelled their true high end W8 phone (zenith). Their struggling as a company. I don't think they have the resources to fund and promote W8.

chad08er says:

Their focus is Facebook Phone,lol.

xconomicron says:

I was just about to say that....

I had sworn a previous HTC FB phone had came out and was DOA. It was a qwerty phone I believe. I can't remember the name of it though. ...HTC Status?

Anywho, I don't see the HTC First being a huge $$ grabber for them. It think it will be a slap in the face to MS if they come out with another flagship Android this year -as there are already talk/rumors about the Butterfly 2 coming out.

jcagga says:

Maybe its good thing that I'm not an app whore. Hehe. I still love my 8x.

WinFan1 says:

amen brother.

iamoniwaban says:

I love my ativ s

im enjoying it aswell. to bad their porting the wrong apps. like their music app is nothing more than a rebrand, rss times for example soon they will have to pull it due to googles decision to kill off google reader service & they removed Family Story but have yet to replace it with something else from their wp6.x/7.x app catalog. would be nice to see their dlna app updated for wp8 as 3rd party alternatives suck. cant wait to see it on tmo as i had seen a screenshot of a of a system setting labeled wi-fi calling under their contacts import screenshots marketplace listing. can anybody say UMA has returned on WP

walter1832 says:

Nokia is getting nervous.  I believe they have awakened a sleeping giant!  Before you know it, Samsung is going to get a developer to create an exclusive app for Sammy phones...like myspace!

Mr. Brown says:

Seriously, MySpace?

Isn't MySpace like a music thing now?

walter1832 says:

I'll try to explain my comment using a few foreign languages.  You've obvioulsy couldn't detect my....
sarcasmo, sarkasmem, sarkasme, 讽刺, sarkasmo, uyam, sarkasmi, სარკასტულ, Sarkasmus, σαρκασμός, કટાક્ષ, ताना, gúny, kaldhæðni, searbhas, 皮肉, ಚುಚ್ಚುಮಾತು, mordacitas, sindiran, kejeli, lới chế nhạo, coegni, การเสียดสี

paliotti says:

+12 for You

Mr. Brown says:

Nope, I didn't catch it. Glad you were being sarcastic....

rebel_yell says:

BRAVO! Smart-assery abounds in this thread.That post was truly hand crafted. It was so finely woven that only we members of the "smart ass guild" could ascertain the difference between a masterpiece and a forgery.

Corepc says:

These Samsung App updates are for WP8 version only look like, no 7.x app update yet for me.

So this is how it feels to the Samsung owners when we get Nokia exclusives/updates.

Roei Mizrahi says:

anyone knows how to get my ATIV to scan store for changes ? most of the time i get updates from wpcentral before i see the available update on the live tile

Nejcooo says:

i kinda understand why samsung ativ s is selling bad, but i dont understand why people are buying htcs 8x and 8s.

nokia just do much more than htc and samsung, why buying htc then? dont you miss free nokia music, drive+, and other awesome stuff that nokia is offering to lumia owners in nokia collection?

Not all carriers get Nokia phones... Bell in Canada has the Ativ S, 8X, and 8S.... I would have definitely preferred a Lumia 920, but Bell is the best carrier in the country and I rather have good service than a Lumia. The Ativ S is still an excellent phone, but Samsung has a cash cow with Android and Nokia only has WP8. Plus I already have Nokia Music and Drive.

Kellzea says:

While you make a good point, the sheer industrial design of the 8x and even the 8s make them a tempting option. The 8x is in the top 3 best looking phones ever made in my book. Plus its the only oem that has a clock tile.

I love my 920 and wouldn't swap it. But i miss the clock tile i had on my 7.8 moded hd2.

That said, i now couldn't live without Nokia music

IceDree says:

You have a point , but there's more to it than exclusive Apps !
Personally, I bought an 8X over a Lumia 920/820 for many reasons, like :
- i love the design of the 8X , don't get me wrong , i don't think the 920 is ugly , i think the design worked better on the 800 but didn't translate well into a bigger phone ! The Ativ is meh though.

- I think the screen is gorgeous & at a 4.3" 16:9 its narrow enough to be held & used with one hand .

- i liked the build quality of the 8X more than the 920 .

- It have a good camera (at least compared to my old Atrix lol) & it fits my need , since all I do taking pictures of cars .... You can find em on Instgram at IceDree ... Lol

- The 8X was a 112 dollars cheaper than the Lumia 920 & 30 less than the 820 (820's SuperAMOLED is a deal breaker for me)

- I don't care about Removable batteries or expandable storage anymore , so 16GB was good enough for me ... Used an Atrix for almost 2 years & only used 8GB outta 16GB + 32GB card .

- my last 2 Nokia phones fell apart in less than a year , so i wasn't ready for another one .

That' just me ....

mohannad087 says:

I love u Nokia

radde says:

If they are fond of Windows Phone they should release a app for their Smart TVs like they did for iOS and Android.

selfxd says:

Forgot that there is one discontinued the family story app or whatever its called. With the latest firmware update Telus pushed.

tgr42 says:

Does anyone actually use any of these Samsung apps?  I tried one or two of them when I first got my Focus S and the experience just reaffirmed what I've always observed since the beginning of time:  with few exceptions, hardware companies SUCK at software with the level of suck increasing exponentially the closer to the user the software is.  Even Nokia's WP apps (which I'll admit I haven't used) are not that big of a factor when considering the entire package.  Most if not all of your needs are going to be better served by third party apps anyway, IMO.

Kellzea says:

While the Samsung apps suck balls. Nokias, do not. Nokia music is just an a grade phenomenon of a service. Here maps and drive are pretty sweet too.

radde says:

NOKIA is actually doing a solid job with their apps. I really like the HERE app family - you can choose which extend of functionally you need by only installing specific apps like HERE Maps and Transit if you only need these functionalities and depending of which apps you have installed from the family they are reckoned by the apps and interconnected into the experience.
So going with the example above, if you search for a place in the Maps app you can then get directions to it and even rough transit info as well; If you then have the Transit App installed you get the option for nor details and alternate transit routes by being redirected to the other App. Works great.

And so far I've not seen another App like HERE City Lense ...

OTLWtank says:

The support of Nokia was the entire reason why I picked my 822 over the sexy 8x, long term support is everything when buying anything, knowing that Nokia is dependent on the success of WP and that Samsung could care less while HTC is struggling makes Nokia the obvious choice.

IceDree says:

How thoughtful of them ...

Someone swing a brick at HTC or rather throw ur 920 at them. Where is HTC's support for apps?

i got a chance to use the ativ oddysey at verizon.  takes better pictures than my 822 by far.  if samsung comes out with one with wireless charging i'm in.  love my 822 but a great camera is important.

SACRIFICE_84 says:

Its very simple guys.If ur on android ship then its gotta be samsung and if u happens to be on windows then mokia is the way..

rebel_yell says:

Holy shit! Another phone maker out there with Winp8??? I've never heard of these guys. Probably a Nokia knock-off.