Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Chris Weber on the future of device branding at Microsoft

Rumor: Nokia's next flagship Windows Phone to be quad-core with kick-ass camera and more

MWC Nokia

My Nokia Blog is reporting on specifications the next Nokia flagship Windows Phone (possibly the RM-877) will feature. Mentioning sources familiar with company plans, it's believed that the device will indeed have a superior camera to what's currently available on the platform. That we can be sure of as Nokia is pushing optics even further, but what about the other entries on the specifications sheet? According to the source, Nokia is working on two different models of the EOS, which we've previously looked at numerous times.

Rum:8

One model is a dual-core version, while another features 4-cores, brining Windows Phone up to speed with Android (are we seriously considering 8-cores?) with Snapdragon 800 implemented. The next flagship Windows Phone from Nokia is also said to be packing the same battery as the Lumia 920 - 2000mAh. This is the reason for the two models as the impact on the battery with the four cores may be significant.

The screen is said to be AMOLED (1280 x 768), following the Lumia 928 and will better support the low-powered sleeping screen display. The camera is believed to be similar to the Lumia 920, but sports a 41MP sensor, Xenon & LED flash, OIS (optical image stabilisation) and the possibility of a variable aperture lens. This would be joined by "a more detailed" camera UI, similar to that on the PureView 808.

What's really going to excite consumers is the expandable internal storage with MicroSd support. This will be required with what the advanced camera would produce. Interestingly, albeit not the first time we've seen present on a Windows Phone, a Micro HDMI-out will be available. Finally, an FM transmitter is believed to be included. The flagship Windows Phone is said to be an AT&T exclusive when released, with a global launch up to three months later. It's quite the phone, should everything remain in place.

Some of this information corroborates details Windows Phone Central has managed to obtain as well, so we can add a little less salt with this, folks. So what are your thoughts, excited?

Source: My Nokia Blog; thanks, Prodigy11, for the heads up!

Comments

tissotti says:

To clear though, My Nokia Blog said that they will likely go for dual core version as the battery isn't enough on the quad core version.-

DaSchnee says:

"The screen is said to be AMOLED (1280 x 768), following the Lumia 928"
I tought the 928 uses the same IPS screen as the 920. Catwalk was rumored to have a amoled screen, wasn't it?

MrSimmix says:

41mp Thats frickin awesome XD

CombatRock says:

Would be nice if it wasn't an AT&T exclusive.

Onerunjunior says:

AMOLED? Please no. IPS screen all the way and please, PLEASE stay away from 1080p. It provides no benefit whatsoever, and the backlight demands will cause battery life to suffer unless they make the phone a brick due to a humongous battery. And quad core? Seriously? There is absolutely no need to have the next windows phone contain a quad core CPU. The only thing needed is a better gpu. The reason Android phones have quad core is because the OS is a mess, and carriers/manufacturers slap their own garbage UI over the stock OS and kills the performance. Quad core is unneeded and a battery drain unless they get aggressive in the OS. Which they absolutely don't need to. And the SD card should have been there already. Not having is kinda sucks. This childish spec race is what has effectively killed the consumer PC market. Specs don't matter if the OS is written week enough. Look at the iPhone. The UI was snappy from day one and it ran on seriously slow hardware in today's world.

cesar ruiz1 says:

Why a bigger battery when there teasing solar charging.

Onerunjunior says:

Because solar charging is slow and inefficient, and I don't stand around all day in the sun. These upgrades would decrease battery life dramatically unless they are unbelieveably agressive with the hardware on the OS side, and even then solar wouldn't mitigate the battery drain. I work inside all day, I don't have time to solar charge my phone, and adding features that don't make the phone better (1080p screen) and instead make them worse is a bad move.

Fndlumia says:

Heard all this before, like teenage girls with rumours.

PG2G says:

For what its worth, both the HTC One and Galaxy S 4 (LTE version) use the Snapdragon 600. So this would actually best the flagship devices on Android, though it'll probably come out much later.

JoeDizzle33 says:

Can't wait for this. I have an upgrade next February. Any news on release date?

Rich White says:

And 5" screen with Windows Blur. They know we want it.

Lundon44 says:

Specs sound great but we need to see this on a 5" display. Don't care if it's 1080 or 720 personally. But WP needs these specs if they want to get one foot in with the spec junkies. Sadly the smartphone market is very spec driven regardless of if we like to admit it. And for those complaining that 5" is too big.. As we can see Nokia has a very large line up of phones for people that don't like larger screens or top specs. A phone like this would clearly be the predecessor to the 920 and must be their flagship phone

Onerunjunior says:

I doubt very seriously the smartphone industry is spec driven. A very small subset care, but Mom and Pop only care about who they can call. The iPhone is the largest selling individual smartphone in the world, or in the top 5, and they never release specs.

a5cent says:

Exactly, even iPhone enthusiasts rarely know how many cores their iP5s have.

Yetamedi says:

They most assuredly do release specs.  Have you ever watched one of their big "i" events?  They love to brag about specs.  From "retina" displays to what current A spec processor it has (they don't talk about what speed it runs at though, you are right there).

Onerunjunior says:

DO they tell you the RAM? How about the CPU/GPU frequency? Maybe they tell you the exact architecture of the CPU/GPU rather than some "A" numerical designation of the new processor? No. They do not. Only when they introduced the very high resolution display on the iPhone 4 did they start releasing information about the guts of the phone, and even then it was incredibly vague. They aren't the Samsungs and HTC's of the world spitting out every number they can think of to try and beat the other guys in a dick measuring contest. People. Don't. Care. They want Instagram and Twitter apps that don't suck. They want to send texts to each other. They want their phone to have great battery life. Specs don't matter to 95% of the market, and that's where the money is. Why do you think that the iPhone makes Apple BILLIONS every year? Because it has the apps people want, not the fastest speed or highest core count CPU bandied on about by other phone manufacturers.

Congrats Nokia on another great phone but please don't forget us (the Lumia 920 users)

Time for the Lumia 920 users to start gagging for the new "Lumia 920" of the windows phones. This phone is going to kill the competition

JPDVM2014 says:

I cannot wait for this phone! I am due for an upgrade in Nov, so I hope this is out by then. I'm glad they are going back to AMOLED, I love the black levels on my 900.

Oxymoron428 says:

Nice specs and all, but battery is most important for me. And besides, the att exclusivity brings my excitement level down to -5%. I be happy when I see it on Verizon.

Looks like a lot of people can scratch this one off their WP wish list if its true...still sprint, Verizon, etc will be left out. ATT seems to be making a lot of enemies because of their exclusivities.

Cellus13 says:

The only thing I ask for is for a amazing battery that's larger then the s4! Everything else is great.

inteller says:

why not just support 21mp with the existing Qualcomm hardware and not need a bulky extra processor?  THey really don't need to give reviewers any reason to complain and if it has a big protrusion people will complain just like they did the weight of the 920.

PeltFrelken says:

What does "Pureview" mean? Is there a reason this is 41mp? Seems a little overkill. But, maybe there's a good reason.

Nejcooo says:

there's a good ression. you get extremly big zoom without losing quality

PeltFrelken says:

I see. Well, this will certainly provide a huge differentiator for this Lumia phone. I can see pro & semi-pro photographers getting this, as well as journalists.

Daniel Meek says:

better camera... check!
expandable storage (seriously, who is going to 'remove' it?)... check!
display output... check!

OK, where do I sign up!  Seriously, display output and expanded storage options (specifically for my music and pictures) were 2 things I had reservations about when I got my 920.  I would LOVE to be able to hook my phone up to a projector to do PPT presentations, and that is the only thing that I still occasionally have to lug the work laptop around for, so I hope that with this display output that the built in PPT will be able to output to it!
The camera on the 920 is already pretty great.  Yesterday I took some 1080p footage of my son playing soccer and I was running behind him with my phone.  I didn't even have to try and hold the phone steady and it looks like I have it on some sort of steady-cam rig, it is just awesome.  I have a much better video camera which I thought had some great image stabilization, but my little phone puts it to shame.  The only major complaint about the camera on the 920 (and it really is a major complaint) is that it cannot seem to pick a color temperature on video.  Even if there was an option to pick one and have it not change then I could fix it in post, but I am not going to go frame by frame to fix video that cannot just pick a color temperature.  And what kills me is that this is not a sensor issue.  This is poor implementation of an automatic feature, combined with a lack of a selection option.  Outdoors it is generally fine (except around sunset when even big cameras have a tough time), but indoors I have different bulbs in different rooms, and the minute the phone picks up a little bit of light from a warm bulb then it over-compensates and switches to warm instead of cool (or vice versa), or it spends it's time indecisively switching between them.
The only other thing I would love to have that is a platform limitation rather than a device limitation (especailly on a device that could have 128+GB of storage) would be the ability to sync or transfer files over the local network rather than skydrive.  Skydrive is great and all, but I am not going to pay the money to keep all of my files synced via the cloud, and I find it ridiculous that a phone with so many wireless connectivity options needs to plug in via a USB cable in order to transfer files directly.  I should be able to open windows explorer on my desktop and move stuff around via a workgroup, domain, or homegroup permissions setting.  It does not need to be complicated.  I love having skydrive for small stuff like documents, and even selected pictures, but for bulk file transfers of pictures and videos it would just be easier to deal with over wireless 11n or 11ac.

Onerunjunior says:

"The only major complaint about the camera on the 920 (and it really is a major complaint) is that it cannot seem to pick a color temperature on video."

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. It's incredibly poor video in conditions it doesn't like is so incredibly maddening! I couldn't believe that a modern smartphone camera could fail so utterly spectacularly like this. Literally speechless when I saw my 920 do this, and almost returned it because of it. I am very careful where and when I take video now because I don't want this stupid camera freaking out on me and recording video at different color temperature every 3-4 seconds.

dkp23 says:

hopefully the lack of battery upgrade wont be noticable.  I get pretty good battery performance from my 920 already easily one day from 7am-12am, hopefully the performance is on par or something is optimized so that there wont be more drain which is probably unlikely.

Ronnet says:

Quad-core?!? That's not nearly enough! It needs to be 1080-core if its to compete with the iGalaxy S5S Note

atvman29 says:

My 920 is doing me just fine...but I would LOVE to replace my POS iPad with a 10" Nokia Tablet...

procen says:

I'm with you I want a 7 or 8 inch windows tablet.

treetownal says:

That sounds great....and then I read this The flagship Windows Phone is said to be an AT&T exclusive when released, with a global launch up to three months later. It's quite the phone, should everything remain in place.

You're ruining a good thing by saddling this entire platform to ATT.  Stop letting your flagship be an exclusive, nobody other phone is doing this anymore.  GSIV, HTC One, IPhone - no exclusives left.

Kanshin says:

I am excited to see the great new options coming-

• SD Card
  • AMOLED Screen
  • HDMI Out
  • 41 Mega pixel camera
  • XENON Flash
  • Quad core option (may not need it but good to compete with Andriod platforms- I will be getting one since I am a performance nut)

I hear the arguments - why do you need 1080p...
With the 1080p screens coming out from HTC WP and on the competing Android platforms, if Nokia wants to be the clear leader of the pack we really need to make sure we are competing at the competitions level.
I personally will pay the premium if Nokia has the 1080p option.
In either case I love the new options coming to Nokia and the Windows Platform. I am Windows phone.

Yangstax says:

Nokia won't support 1080 until WP8 does.  It will happen in PR3 update at the end of 2013.  I would suspect that Nokia will come out with a 5" - 5-1/2" phablet in early 2014.  That would definitely support 1080.  720 is actually more than adequate as it is shown on L920.  Just how much crisper do you want to see?  I don't chase specs blindly.

FM "transmitter" or receiver? What does an FM transmitter do on a phone?

It transmits FM, enables you to play your music on FM devices, for example old car audio systems...

CSJr1 says:

I am sure that it must have been a typo and it is an FM receiver.  As if it was an FM transmitter, you could piss alot of people off by taking over their radio stations to play your greatest hits:)

LeiChat says:

I'd be happy with a thinner and lighter 920.
In fact, I would rather have thinner and lighter than "kiss-ass camera".

doogie17 says:

720 with 2500mah and OIS/pureview/nfc/qi charging/720p screen for 320-350€ is a GG

I wonder if it will have a separate image processor to manage the pixels for lossless zoom. The 808 required one. A separate audio amplifier would be a great addition also. Quad core processors won't use any more power than the dual cores. Read up on the 800/600. It will enable Dolby Digital 7.1 surround sound output with that HDMI out and 2 channel simulation which was awesome in Qualcoms demo booth. Games closer to console quality will also be an option. A bigger battery would be a welcomed edition for a super bright screen you could really use in all conditions. If it is an 808 successor, they need flikr or Instagram to allow them to build an app that can upload higher quality images on WiFi. This device doesn't have to be thin although 920 proportions would be awesome. What it needs to be is beautiful and on all carriers within that 3 month time frame along with a celebrity endorsement like Beyonce and Justin Timberlake.

dukrem says:

I seriously doubt that they got OIS combined with that camera, but happy to be proven wrong. Very excited about variable aperture and the rest of the specs. I'd go for the higher specced device, I think only the sd800 supports 4k recording and always-on voice commands. While these may not currently be supported in WP, I'm sure there will be an update at some point and it would be better to have hardware that supports the new features than to need a new phone.

Dare2Blink says:

Only shit... I think I just came a Little :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D It sounds too good to be true. 41 mp + ois + sd card expansion + quad core = awesomeness. The only thing that worries me is the battery that seem rather small for a quad core cpu.

glassadam says:

I would be okay with a bump on the back of my phone like the 808 had in order to get even better photos than the 920. I think Nokia is smart to try and differentiate on camera tech. It could become a real game-changer eventually.

AMERICANRAJ says:

stop complaining about the battery. the future is solar charging , just like the citizen watches. your lamp at the night stand will charge it.

as147 says:

Please confirm, does it still have wireless charging? Great invention and it helps me keep the phone topped up at work in between meetings.

FBirraque says:

I hope it's 5" screen size.
Size matters!

Ron_2155 says:

Why should att get exclusive rights when there not a global provider! Nokia needs to pay more attention to the world not just att

bsd107 says:

Reason for dual and quad is that currently the quad sets don't support LTE - same reason the Galaxy phones have both versions bases on region

PG2G says:

That isn't true, Qualcomm supports LTE in both dual and quad. Galaxy has different versions because they are using Exynos outside of LTE regions.

aitt says:

Truth Exynos and Tegra have not perfected LTE on their chips.

Whodaboss says:

Damn good news on these possible devices! But some people are just never f-ing satisfied. I want a friggin teleporter.. Beam me up Scotty. And an invisible cloak. How could I forget a mind reader built in too... (highly sarcastic)

b23h says:

sounds nice and I am happy to hear about an Micro HDMI out, I have not had one on either of my WP devices (HTC HD7 or my current Lumia 810).

Absolutely thrilling! :D

lubbalots says:

I'm ready for a Nokia Phablet but please decrease bezel!

mammaldood says:

Bad Nokia. Bad! You NEED to put a bigger battery in. 2000mAh isn't even enough for my 920.

ninny1176 says:

All these great features and it still can't play voicemail WAV files...

aitt says:

Why would anyone want to use large .wav files?

CSJr1 says:

Wait, wait wait..
Micro HDMI out, SD Card, 41 MP OIS,  Quad Core, FM, Xenon and LED Flash?

All this needs is 1080p 5" screen and I will walk on hot coals for one!

Screw 1080P, how about 1440P. Sure, its useless and 1080P is the golden HD standard for Full HD video but there's nothing like a ludicrously sharp screen...LUDICROUS.

boxa72 says:

Who said Adidas?? I miss that app I had on my N8:( I have both a 620 n 820 n would love tha Adidas app 2 jump ship from Symbian 2 Lumia, not that Runtastic isn't bad;)

boxa72 says:

They won't decrease bezel size coz that's where u have Microsoft branding n no way in hell would Microsoft part with that

Arya Mehran says:

Love it, Want it!

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm hoping in the future they come out with quad cores so I can later replace my single core L900. I hope that they also release the monster 41MP PureView in a sleek Lumia body! If WPs get more power, the features are endless..unless they begin to run on legitimate Windows desktop software on phones 4.3" and up. Tech is advancing fast so who knows?

edsal says:

Always and only on att WTF !!!

cellneuron says:

One single xenon flashing (less than 1 sec) consume as much power as 10 mins continuous LED lighting. Moreover xenon flashing is no use for video shooting.  I will be very disppointed if they removed LED flashing in EOS. The best setup is keeping both and choosing the flashing source intelligently.
While 768p is at least one generation behing comparing with other real flagship phones, I actually think a non-pentile 768p amoled is good enough. Although I have to say there IS obvious visible difference between 720p and 1080p in a 4.7 inch LCD, after comparing HTC one and HTC one X in a ATT store today.
HTC one is demoing now in most ATT stores. For those who always believe 300ppi is the limit of human eyes, you'd better take a look before seconding Steve Jobs.

Eas195 says:

If the rumor was right, it would bang all Androids! Boom!

This makes me happy :-D

Salman Shah says:

Not perfect, something is missing....

KingCrimson says:

I want 12 cores, 2196p display, 100mp camera and 1TB of storage!!!! Oh and WP better have 3423432 gazillion apps on launch day.

Luminatic says:

Yep. Add a personal mini powerplant and I'm in.

cowboy620 says:

I'll buy the phone outright since I just started in Nov with AT&T to get my red 920 and my wife's yellow 920.we will both get this phone. Sweet baby yeah!!!!!! Hope it has an an card slot I need it only have 14 gbs left :(

fsweb2011 says:

A kick-ass camera, like the one in the Lumia 920...I can't wait (sarcasm)

Infamy79 says:

I've been refreshing my phones every year lately, from the HTC Mozart to the Lumia 800 and now the Lumia 920. Looks like I'll be buying this one outright as soon as it comes up so then in 12 months after that my contract will be up and then I can get another free phone on my contract.
Sounds like with those specifications that it will be worth every cent. Don't expect to see it before November though. Unless they bring it to AT&T in Aug/Sept and then rest of the world Nov/Dec
I LOVE Xenon flashes on my camera phones, LED flash sucks. The only downside being you can't use it as a torch, although if they include an LED for the focus light then perhaps they can still use it that way. No need for 1080p in a phone screen that's just a battery drainer, the HDMI output & SD card slot is just icing. Can't imagine wanting any more in my phone.

Nice, but if Nokia makes this device in China, I doubt that the QC will be good enough. Such an advanced device must be made in S.Korea or Taiwan.

Whoa... just shut up and take my money!!

Karanstyle says:

Its now time that Instagram should just learn and let the app be out of the closet all ready else they'll be loosing out on the best camera smartphones. Else we already don't care as we now have alternatives to it to make filters from apps like: Camera 360, PhotoPlay, Photoroom, etc to put up the pics directly onto our social networks.

Karanstyle says:

And so glad to hear HDMI out + FM transmitter on the upcoming device...!!!

duk3togo says:

I would have thought if they want to keep up with Android it would came out with a 1080p screen. I know its a battery killer but maybe they can up the size.

TwinBitz says:

Hate the att exclusive crap!!!! This needs to end! Verizon needs to step up there game!

I can finally stop saying "More cow bell!" when it comes to my next phone upgrade :) Better camera? check. SD card support? check. Just wish it had a removable battery, but guess I'll keep a charger at arms length...

Only thing I don't know is if it will be running a newer version of the OS (Blue?) or if it will still be on the current version...Anyone care to tackle that?

Techiedude

katamari201 says:

I don't want an AMOLED. I want an IPS LCD. A photographer's camera should have accurate colors that don't change with varying brightness, as well as be bright enough to see in the sun, and still remain just as consistent after a few years of use. There's also the dreaded possibility of penTile for a sub 5" phone and even more likely if they use a Samsung panel. The marginal thinness savings between LCD and AMOLED is not worth it. They are also coming out with new IGZO LCDs that will be even thinner and more power efficient. I see no good reason to choose AMOLED.

Reflexx says:

I could see the advantage of 1080 support since it is supposed to have an HDMI-out.

But also keep in mind that Nokia has PureMotion tech, allowing 60hz refresh rate, which is excellent for a phone.

When viewing a movie, would you rather have clear smooth action scenes at 60Hz at 720p resolution or blurred action scenes at 30Hz at 1080p? I'd rather have the 720 with faster refresh rate, wouldn't you?

Yetamedi says:

Good grief!  I can't believe all the pissing and moaning about what it rumored to be a TOP OF THE LINE PHONE!  A lot of you are acting like this will be the only option available to you.  If you want your 720p screen, there are already options out there for you.  If you want a dual core processor, there are already options out there for you.  If you don't want a 1080p screen, this isn't the phone for you.  If you feel a quad core processor is overkill and will kill your battery (hint: it won't.  As others have surely pointed out, the extra cores are only in operation when needed and the shrink in die size it will likely have over current dual core processors will help increase energy efficiency) then this isn't the phone for you.  Go out and buy one of several options available to you right now from Nokia or HTC or Samsung.  Just please quit complaining about a future phone that to me at least sounds like exactly what I want for MY windows phone.

Onerunjunior says:

Hint: It will kill your battery. Maybe you should learn a bit more about smartphones before you write something so terribly inaccurate. These are unnecessary and battery killing upgrades for absolutely zero tangible benefit. You cannot under any circumstance tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on screens these sizes. You want piss poor battery life to have a feature you literally can't see? Have fun with that.

cellneuron says:

You can absolutely tell 1080p from 720p in a 4.7 inch screen. Don't just trust what steven jobs said. Go to a ATT store and take a look by YOURSELF (htc one and htc one x).

navidee says:

Bring it on. I can finally update to wp8! Now I play the waiting game...

Wevenhuis says:

Quad core and 2000 mAh battery....Even the competition has higher capacity batteries. I think many will eventually go for the dual core. A pity that the flagship will be a disgrace and a flop. If the EOS is considered do it right. I think its high time we should reconsider the thin argument. I would be happy for a bigger EOS windows phone so it can fit a bigger battery. It will also be a general better end user experience as the consumer will want to make the best photos, thus highest resolution anyways. That asks some battery power for storage, up/downloading large files and perhaps some editing. So if nokia is reading this, PLEAS DONT COMPROMISE ON BATTERY LIFE!!! (...consider replacable battery).
I hope the EOS for windows phone will be with OIS. I tried a friends nokia 808 and the pictures were blurry because of movement.

Niavlys77 says:

THIS is what I've been waiting for. Soon will be time to upgrade my L900 :)

M3GRSO says:

<p>....Oh I love Nokia, I&#39;ll ditch my HTC One for Thinner, 1080p touting, larger display having Lumia. I&#39;ll even do for more than 32GB sealed, cause my friend FBirraque said it best, Size Matters. Take a page from Android, and make it a Beast Nokia!&nbsp;</p>

Mac Gurav says:

Yesss!!!.. I have been waiting for the ...

1. FM Transmittter (what an Super-Excellent feature),
2. 1080 Video rec,
3. Xenon + LED Flash,
4. Sattelite GPS support (in case im out of signal)

Nokia had spoilt me with their N8, I am still hangin on to it....Looking forward to the Launch of Nokia Lumia 929...All the Best to the Nokia and Microsoft Team!!!!

Pages