Rumor: Nokia's next flagship Windows Phone to be quad-core with kick-ass camera and more

MWC Nokia

My Nokia Blog is reporting on specifications the next Nokia flagship Windows Phone (possibly the RM-877) will feature. Mentioning sources familiar with company plans, it's believed that the device will indeed have a superior camera to what's currently available on the platform. That we can be sure of as Nokia is pushing optics even further, but what about the other entries on the specifications sheet? According to the source, Nokia is working on two different models of the EOS, which we've previously looked at numerous times.

Rum:8

One model is a dual-core version, while another features 4-cores, brining Windows Phone up to speed with Android (are we seriously considering 8-cores?) with Snapdragon 800 implemented. The next flagship Windows Phone from Nokia is also said to be packing the same battery as the Lumia 920 - 2000mAh. This is the reason for the two models as the impact on the battery with the four cores may be significant.

The screen is said to be AMOLED (1280 x 768), following the Lumia 928 and will better support the low-powered sleeping screen display. The camera is believed to be similar to the Lumia 920, but sports a 41MP sensor, Xenon & LED flash, OIS (optical image stabilisation) and the possibility of a variable aperture lens. This would be joined by "a more detailed" camera UI, similar to that on the PureView 808.

What's really going to excite consumers is the expandable internal storage with MicroSd support. This will be required with what the advanced camera would produce. Interestingly, albeit not the first time we've seen present on a Windows Phone, a Micro HDMI-out will be available. Finally, an FM transmitter is believed to be included. The flagship Windows Phone is said to be an AT&T exclusive when released, with a global launch up to three months later. It's quite the phone, should everything remain in place.

Some of this information corroborates details Windows Phone Central has managed to obtain as well, so we can add a little less salt with this, folks. So what are your thoughts, excited?

Source: My Nokia Blog; thanks, Prodigy11, for the heads up!

Comments

bsd107 says:

Reason for dual and quad is that currently the quad sets don't support LTE - same reason the Galaxy phones have both versions bases on region

PG2G says:

That isn't true, Qualcomm supports LTE in both dual and quad. Galaxy has different versions because they are using Exynos outside of LTE regions.

aitt says:

Truth Exynos and Tegra have not perfected LTE on their chips.

Whodaboss says:

Damn good news on these possible devices! But some people are just never f-ing satisfied. I want a friggin teleporter.. Beam me up Scotty. And an invisible cloak. How could I forget a mind reader built in too... (highly sarcastic)

b23h says:

sounds nice and I am happy to hear about an Micro HDMI out, I have not had one on either of my WP devices (HTC HD7 or my current Lumia 810).

Absolutely thrilling! :D

lubbalots says:

I'm ready for a Nokia Phablet but please decrease bezel!

mammaldood says:

Bad Nokia. Bad! You NEED to put a bigger battery in. 2000mAh isn't even enough for my 920.

ninny1176 says:

All these great features and it still can't play voicemail WAV files...

aitt says:

Why would anyone want to use large .wav files?

CSJr1 says:

Wait, wait wait..
Micro HDMI out, SD Card, 41 MP OIS,  Quad Core, FM, Xenon and LED Flash?

All this needs is 1080p 5" screen and I will walk on hot coals for one!

Screw 1080P, how about 1440P. Sure, its useless and 1080P is the golden HD standard for Full HD video but there's nothing like a ludicrously sharp screen...LUDICROUS.

boxa72 says:

Who said Adidas?? I miss that app I had on my N8:( I have both a 620 n 820 n would love tha Adidas app 2 jump ship from Symbian 2 Lumia, not that Runtastic isn't bad;)

boxa72 says:

They won't decrease bezel size coz that's where u have Microsoft branding n no way in hell would Microsoft part with that

Arya Mehran says:

Love it, Want it!

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm hoping in the future they come out with quad cores so I can later replace my single core L900. I hope that they also release the monster 41MP PureView in a sleek Lumia body! If WPs get more power, the features are endless..unless they begin to run on legitimate Windows desktop software on phones 4.3" and up. Tech is advancing fast so who knows?

edsal says:

Always and only on att WTF !!!

cellneuron says:

One single xenon flashing (less than 1 sec) consume as much power as 10 mins continuous LED lighting. Moreover xenon flashing is no use for video shooting.  I will be very disppointed if they removed LED flashing in EOS. The best setup is keeping both and choosing the flashing source intelligently.
While 768p is at least one generation behing comparing with other real flagship phones, I actually think a non-pentile 768p amoled is good enough. Although I have to say there IS obvious visible difference between 720p and 1080p in a 4.7 inch LCD, after comparing HTC one and HTC one X in a ATT store today.
HTC one is demoing now in most ATT stores. For those who always believe 300ppi is the limit of human eyes, you'd better take a look before seconding Steve Jobs.

Eas195 says:

If the rumor was right, it would bang all Androids! Boom!

This makes me happy :-D

Salman Shah says:

Not perfect, something is missing....

KingCrimson says:

I want 12 cores, 2196p display, 100mp camera and 1TB of storage!!!! Oh and WP better have 3423432 gazillion apps on launch day.

Luminatic says:

Yep. Add a personal mini powerplant and I'm in.

cowboy620 says:

I'll buy the phone outright since I just started in Nov with AT&T to get my red 920 and my wife's yellow 920.we will both get this phone. Sweet baby yeah!!!!!! Hope it has an an card slot I need it only have 14 gbs left :(

fsweb2011 says:

A kick-ass camera, like the one in the Lumia 920...I can't wait (sarcasm)

Infamy79 says:

I've been refreshing my phones every year lately, from the HTC Mozart to the Lumia 800 and now the Lumia 920. Looks like I'll be buying this one outright as soon as it comes up so then in 12 months after that my contract will be up and then I can get another free phone on my contract.
Sounds like with those specifications that it will be worth every cent. Don't expect to see it before November though. Unless they bring it to AT&T in Aug/Sept and then rest of the world Nov/Dec
I LOVE Xenon flashes on my camera phones, LED flash sucks. The only downside being you can't use it as a torch, although if they include an LED for the focus light then perhaps they can still use it that way. No need for 1080p in a phone screen that's just a battery drainer, the HDMI output & SD card slot is just icing. Can't imagine wanting any more in my phone.

Nice, but if Nokia makes this device in China, I doubt that the QC will be good enough. Such an advanced device must be made in S.Korea or Taiwan.

Whoa... just shut up and take my money!!

Karanstyle says:

Its now time that Instagram should just learn and let the app be out of the closet all ready else they'll be loosing out on the best camera smartphones. Else we already don't care as we now have alternatives to it to make filters from apps like: Camera 360, PhotoPlay, Photoroom, etc to put up the pics directly onto our social networks.

Karanstyle says:

And so glad to hear HDMI out + FM transmitter on the upcoming device...!!!

duk3togo says:

I would have thought if they want to keep up with Android it would came out with a 1080p screen. I know its a battery killer but maybe they can up the size.

TwinBitz says:

Hate the att exclusive crap!!!! This needs to end! Verizon needs to step up there game!

I can finally stop saying "More cow bell!" when it comes to my next phone upgrade :) Better camera? check. SD card support? check. Just wish it had a removable battery, but guess I'll keep a charger at arms length...

Only thing I don't know is if it will be running a newer version of the OS (Blue?) or if it will still be on the current version...Anyone care to tackle that?

Techiedude

katamari201 says:

I don't want an AMOLED. I want an IPS LCD. A photographer's camera should have accurate colors that don't change with varying brightness, as well as be bright enough to see in the sun, and still remain just as consistent after a few years of use. There's also the dreaded possibility of penTile for a sub 5" phone and even more likely if they use a Samsung panel. The marginal thinness savings between LCD and AMOLED is not worth it. They are also coming out with new IGZO LCDs that will be even thinner and more power efficient. I see no good reason to choose AMOLED.

Reflexx says:

I could see the advantage of 1080 support since it is supposed to have an HDMI-out.

But also keep in mind that Nokia has PureMotion tech, allowing 60hz refresh rate, which is excellent for a phone.

When viewing a movie, would you rather have clear smooth action scenes at 60Hz at 720p resolution or blurred action scenes at 30Hz at 1080p? I'd rather have the 720 with faster refresh rate, wouldn't you?

Yetamedi says:

Good grief!  I can't believe all the pissing and moaning about what it rumored to be a TOP OF THE LINE PHONE!  A lot of you are acting like this will be the only option available to you.  If you want your 720p screen, there are already options out there for you.  If you want a dual core processor, there are already options out there for you.  If you don't want a 1080p screen, this isn't the phone for you.  If you feel a quad core processor is overkill and will kill your battery (hint: it won't.  As others have surely pointed out, the extra cores are only in operation when needed and the shrink in die size it will likely have over current dual core processors will help increase energy efficiency) then this isn't the phone for you.  Go out and buy one of several options available to you right now from Nokia or HTC or Samsung.  Just please quit complaining about a future phone that to me at least sounds like exactly what I want for MY windows phone.

Onerunjunior says:

Hint: It will kill your battery. Maybe you should learn a bit more about smartphones before you write something so terribly inaccurate. These are unnecessary and battery killing upgrades for absolutely zero tangible benefit. You cannot under any circumstance tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on screens these sizes. You want piss poor battery life to have a feature you literally can't see? Have fun with that.

cellneuron says:

You can absolutely tell 1080p from 720p in a 4.7 inch screen. Don't just trust what steven jobs said. Go to a ATT store and take a look by YOURSELF (htc one and htc one x).

navidee says:

Bring it on. I can finally update to wp8! Now I play the waiting game...

Wevenhuis says:

Quad core and 2000 mAh battery....Even the competition has higher capacity batteries. I think many will eventually go for the dual core. A pity that the flagship will be a disgrace and a flop. If the EOS is considered do it right. I think its high time we should reconsider the thin argument. I would be happy for a bigger EOS windows phone so it can fit a bigger battery. It will also be a general better end user experience as the consumer will want to make the best photos, thus highest resolution anyways. That asks some battery power for storage, up/downloading large files and perhaps some editing. So if nokia is reading this, PLEAS DONT COMPROMISE ON BATTERY LIFE!!! (...consider replacable battery).
I hope the EOS for windows phone will be with OIS. I tried a friends nokia 808 and the pictures were blurry because of movement.

Niavlys77 says:

THIS is what I've been waiting for. Soon will be time to upgrade my L900 :)

M3GRSO says:

<p>....Oh I love Nokia, I&#39;ll ditch my HTC One for Thinner, 1080p touting, larger display having Lumia. I&#39;ll even do for more than 32GB sealed, cause my friend FBirraque said it best, Size Matters. Take a page from Android, and make it a Beast Nokia!&nbsp;</p>

Mac Gurav says:

Yesss!!!.. I have been waiting for the ...

1. FM Transmittter (what an Super-Excellent feature),
2. 1080 Video rec,
3. Xenon + LED Flash,
4. Sattelite GPS support (in case im out of signal)

Nokia had spoilt me with their N8, I am still hangin on to it....Looking forward to the Launch of Nokia Lumia 929...All the Best to the Nokia and Microsoft Team!!!!

Pages