Microsoft promotes major Windows Phone news apps in new video

Official BlueFly app brings a boutique fashion experience to Windows Phone

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Bollywood entertainment portal, Koimoi, launches official Windows Phone 8 app

Middle East's leading newspaper, Khaleej Times, arrives on Windows Phone

CNET comes to Windows Phone with all its Tech-Savviness

Tonido released for Windows Phone 8 for remote access to your home computer

Another day, another official app in India, Airtel Money arrives on Windows Phone 8

Bollywood Hungama makes a comeback on Windows Phone 8 for Bollywood fans

Boxcryptor comes to Windows Phone and Windows 8, allows you to encrypt all data you send to the cloud

Metro Canada launches official app for Windows Phone

Official Facebook beta updates with bug fixes and more reliable notifications

Fhotoroom gets an updated, adds in-app store and new editing tools

Nextgen Reader updated for Windows 8, adds new Feedly Pro features and more

Simple Calendar updated, new Live Tiles added to the mix

Shreeji Bullion for Windows Phone 8, a fine app to track the Indian Market

Plex for Windows Phone 8 updated, adds Plex Sync to the mix

Go beyond the native podcast support in Windows Phone with Podcast Critter

NBC News for Windows Phone

Official NBC News app hits Windows Phone 8

You know what's crazy? Microsoft and NBC once ran a joint news channel and website called MSNBC. But back in 2005, NBC bought the stake that Microsoft had in the news channel and only last year completed the transaction to completely take over the website. It then went from being msnbc.com to nbcnews.com. And now you've got an official Windows Phone app to keep tabs on the latest news from that very site.

NBC News is an app for Windows Phone 8. It allows you to stay on top of current events both locally and globally. With NBC News for Windows Phone you can:

"The NBC News app empowers users to quickly and fluidly browse, read and watch original and exclusive news stories from all of NBC News' trusted brands. In addition to watching shows such as Nightly News, Dateline and the TODAY show, users can access our topical content categories covering technology, politics, entertainment and more."

• Voice commands: Start the application by holding the Windows button and saying "NBC News". You can also say "NBC News, watch Nightly News" or "NBC News, go to Tech and Science."

• Category tiles: You can pin any show or news category directly onto your start screen for quicker access to the news you love. (including those ever delicious double wide tiles..mhmm)

• Lock screen integration: Get beautiful news photography to light up your lock screen. Enable this from the application settings or the systems settings, under "lock screen."

• Audio article: Let the phone read to you by using the "read article" option from the article screen menu.

NBC News SC

First impressions of NBC News? Very solid for the first version. I didn't think I'd be easily impressed by the ability to have articles read to me, but could totally be handy in those situations when you can't spend too much time looking at your screen. Voice commands as always are futuristic and fun to use. The overall design and layout of the app is very beautiful, although you'd be forgiven for mistaking the layout to the USA Today app. Performance is excellent, both scrolling through articles and video playback were fluid and smooth.

NBC News is free for Windows Phone 8 users, you can grab it here in the Store, use the QR code below, or swipe to the right in our app.

QR: NBC News

Thanks for the tip Jon D!

Comments

rodneyej says:

What????? Awesome!! Keep em comin!!

aaa6112 says:

Love the design, very metro. Couple of minor complaints though:
1. It takes forever to open the app via a section's pinned tile (eg. US News, Technology)
2. When I open a particular section via its pinned tile, and back out, it doesn't exit the app. It goes to the app's main page.

Edit: Never mind #1. Opening up much faster now.

Great UI for Windows Phone!!

Cellus13 says:

Good execution of a clean Metro (or Modern) UI. Like that the title header doesn't take up so much of the app but it could be shortened a bit. Still I have to say it looks good.

smartboyamo says:

Apps keep coming in. Windows phone is picking up some steam. Slowly but surely we shall be on top!

Acbuono5 says:

Doubt that last part, but its nice to get all of these new apps within the past month or so!

Kadcidxa says:

This app is not available for your phone.. Lame...

Sam Sabri says:

What phone do you have?
Edit: So looking at your comment history it looks like you're running Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8... like I stated in the headline and the article many times...this is just for Windows Phone 8. Sorry charlie!

FinancialP says:

So... Should we just drop Windows Phone 7 and give up hope?

All apps will work they said. Developers will target both they said

Not to nitpick as I understand your frustration but...

"All apps will work they said"  --> Right, for Windows Phone 8 users who want to run WP7 apps, not the other way around. They never said that

"Developers will target both they said"  --> They didn't say that either, though they did give developers the tools ability to do so. The fact is, it's easier to code for WP8 than WP7 and for companies with limited mobile budgets, it doesn't make sense for them to target what is essentially a legacy platform.

sirgrant618 says:

I just wanted to mention that "all apps will work" doewsn't work in either direction. I tried to download the Monocle app that came out around Mango's release, but it said it would not work on my Lumia 920.

JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR.

DaddyLikey says:

Well, they meant all apps would work on wp8 (which is partially true), not the other way around...

Shambels says:

Well I joined when windows phone 8 was out so coming from an 8 user they kinda forgot about wp 7 users.

lippidp says:

If apps are important to you then the answer to your question is obvious. I don't give a rat's ass about apps and am quite content with WP 7.8.

Jazmac says:

You want the truth or an IV drip?

I wouldn't be surprised if they reused some of their Windows 8 app code for this, which makes supporting WP7 as well a bit trickier.

inteller says:

If it weren't for the Live TIles issue they fucked up with 7.8 I think in some ways my Lumia 900 feels better to use.  Nokia gave me most of the same gee whiz gadgets as the 920.  I think for simple app shit there is zero reason NOT to target both.

sholokov says:

Please install the app and review it as well. We need the "media" to auto-advertise WP8 when they advertise their app.

lippidp says:

It's good to see mainstream apps. It adds legitimacy to the platform.

Ticomfreak says:

Hopefully this gets Hearst to develop local news apps... Would love to see a KCRA 3 app even though I wouldn't use it.

SleepyTheDon says:

This is big! Nice to see Comcast NBC on deck

Mr. Tofu says:

Tons of content in this app. Love it!

edjr07 says:

Oh wow great app. The reading of the article is great just used driving home on 880. I wish that it would blackout the screen. It doesn't play in the background so I pressed my power button thinking it would keep reading and it stopped. Also, is it me or is the quality of the video ammmazzing. Plus on the video I love that it doesn't take up the whole screen...actually I love that I have the choice of portrait or landscape for video. Kudos nbcnews might have gained yourself another viewer.

Conasca says:

Video is def amazing-looking

CyclingNut says:

Very nice. Might replace my USA Today Tile. The in-article videos are a nice touch.

CyclingNut says:

OK, one small gripe. The Join us on Facebook banners are a bit annoying. I would definitely pay $0.99 to have these eliminated.

L2nak says:

It's all about Newser!

Jazmac says:

Wow. Is development on WP8 improving exponentially or what?  THIS is why I bought the L920. This NBC app is like butter. SMOOOOTHER than smooth and glides like glass.  Love it. I'm pleased.

MrThone79 says:

Best beeping News App! Ever...

jgbstetson says:

Amazing. Really. I'm impressed.

Heck yeah!! Finally!!

gerrymad says:

Sadly my first use of it showed all the ways it can present the story from the Boston Marathon today. Beautiful app, but I just don't feel like using it tonight. :(

kiddj55 says:

I wanted to see everything fold out as NBC is my first choice when it comes to news and I sent them an email asking when would the app be available for WP and after the email I just decided to check the store and lord behold there it was!!

adrian1338 says:

Sorry to tell you - the world outside your home and workplace is not just good. and thats what newsapps are for - telling you things that happend in the world

jlynnm350z says:

Yes, the world is not all peaches and cream, in fact the news is usually depressing and discouraging. There are alot of insane people out there. It's easier to live with blinders on sometimes. Sometimes you just need a damn break!

I have this app on my Win8 desktop PC and my Surface RT. The WP8 version seems to load faster. I like this app a lot...not as much as USA TODAY but a close second.

Beautiful app. Far better than the iOS and Android version.

TheZuneLune says:

Great. Now I can watch Chris Matthews blame the GOP for everything....like he blamed the right for the marathon bombings, from the convenience of my phone.

Or we can download a Fox News app so that we can watch Greta Van Susteren blame Obama for Beyonce and Jay-Z visiting Cuba.

dkp23 says:

Is it me or does this app not have a sports section? The rt version doesn't seem to either, anybody know if there id a sports section?

aaa6112 says:

You are right, no sports section.

Shimoner says:

This app just made my L920 hot enough to fry eggs on, but dear God its nice.

suruwal says:

I need the ability to read and add comments on an article as well. Please update with this option...

DaveGx says:

Looks like a nice app. Too bad its NBC.

ricardios says:

Keep em comin

mixtnet says:

I noticed the time is persistent in the system tray in this app. Nice touch! I wish more developers would do this or give you the option to swipe down like in the wpcentral app.

thirdday2002 says:

This app is awesome! Now we need the NBC shows app so I can watch Parks and Recreation and I'll be good to go with NBC.

kiddj55 says:

Hulu plus coming soon ;)

alikokce says:

Really nice app!

doubleodon says:

The article states:
"So why only Windows Phone 8? Can't tell you for sure, but it doesn't take advantage of some features you'd only get with the latest and greatest version of Windows Phone. For example:"

I assume the author meant to say "....but it DOES take advantage of......"

pippyo03 says:

Nice I have been waiting for this

TripsG says:

Fantastic app and laid out very well. I liked the USA Today app quite a bit but always used the web for NBC. Now this makes it much easier and it's just a beautiful app. Well done dev's.

hazarizal says:

NBC News app (only for Windows Phone 8) has got to be the best app that fully utilizes the Metro UI design. You can you do voice command "News NBC" to open the app. And the video playback UI has scroll back/forth functionality. Awesome typeface too!

mrdeezus says:

Now add msnbc sources like a rachel maddow, chris mathews and so on and it would be perfect!!!

jarala60 says:

^^^^this^^^^
Also, sorta related, I went to Bloomberg Business Weekly (BBW.com) and it recognized my Windows Phone and asked if I wanted to put a BBW.com tile on my start screen.  Loved that!!

WP95 says:

Yay! More official apps!
But also....
Everyone go to Snapchat.com, go to support, then tech support, then my device is incompatible.
VOTE WP!

wpn00b says:

"Doesn't take advantage of..." does it or does it not? I'm kinda confused. It sounds like he is describing what it does do, but leads with it "doesn't take advantage of some features you'd only get with [Windows Phone 8]".

MadDogFL62 says:

Is everyone new out here?

TODAY you will get an APP from NBC.  TOMORROW you will get an article on NBC telling you that Microsoft sucks and so does your Windows Phone.

Since NBC is back to NBC and is no longer MSNBC, the comments about Microsoft, Windows and Windows Phone have been less than positive.  Seems a little hypercritical to download an APP from an organization who bad-mouths your favorite phone and operating system.  I don't care if the APP comes with a Kate Upton tile.  They can shove thier APP up thier arse.

ruthietootie says:

Is anyone having a problem opening the app? It's not opening on my phone, already tried reinstalling it . I have a Lumia 820

how1ard says:

This app is........................Pointless if you live outside the US. Thinks the world is just the USA.