Nokia Lumia 920 data

Report: Nokia Lumia 920, the 1308 firmware and connectivity issues

Although by all accounts Nokia Lumia 920 owners are some of the happiest (and proudest) smartphone users out there, no phone is perfect and neither is any firmware update.

Recently, the 1308 firmware for Windows Phone 8 Lumias has begun rolling out, starting with AT&T and just this week heading out to other carriers globally.  Now, we’re getting numerous reports that the update, while adding advanced Storage Tools, improving sensors, tweaking some camera settings and more, has wrought some issues with the radio.

Indeed, from our own experience we too have witnessed these oddities with data and phone connections on our white AT&T Lumia 920 (clean install of the 1308 ROM). What makes the problem hard is it is not easy to quantify e.g. on occasion, it shows the phone being connected to LTE but data either trickles in or doesn’t come at all (both for uploads and downloads).

Data

Toggling the radio’s Airplane Mode can solve the problem but it seems to come back at some point in the future. Often, you don’t really notice it because you often still get data but things just seem slower, other times it just stops but resolves itself soon thereafter.

Likewise we have had at least one day where no phone calls came in to our device with no missed calls recorded on the phone. Like usual, we were home in our normal location, enjoying 3 (out of 5) bars of coverage.

Users in our forums have been registering complaints since the update started rolling out and while not all of the discussion in that thread deals with connectivity problems, a large majority do. Some have also reported missing text messages in addition to phone calls or reduced data bandwidth.

“My phone is basically useless while at work. I get two bars of LTE now but no data connection with it. I miss phone calls, texts, and cannot browse the Internet while connected to LTE. I do get a very slow connection once it switches to 4G only but I have no way of forcing it into 4G.” – JamesF25

“Let me join the club...Severe connectivity issues after 1308 update on 4G/LTE, 2 black NL920, NYC. Att is sending new sim card which supposedly should fix the problem.” -- hudsonvalley

“Exact same situation with me. Once I started having trouble, I would check the signal strength first to see if it had one...always 2-3 bars. Then, when I would try to send the message or run an app that uses the network, it would die.” – Jeff Cofield

“Well, I'm on my lunch break so I don't have time to read all 18 pages, but my data connectivity has gone to **** since the update. I'm in New York and am experiencing this both in Long Island and New York city -- both LTE-heavy regions. I caught it one time going to edge network. Seems accessing different apps will randomly send the phone to "loading land" with no end in sight until I close and try again. Happens in IE, two versions of Facebook, etc.” -- Tigersoul

Another complication is not everyone who has the 1308 update installed is experiencing the issue, making it difficult to isolate whether these are carrier settings with the radio or installed user software that is interfering somehow.

Nokia on the case?

If there were one company to quickly rectify their mistakes in software bugs, it’s Nokia. The company has numerous bugs on various devices that have caused performance issues or underperformed e.g. the “purple haze” with the Lumia 900's display but they’ve also been one of the fastest to acknowledge and fix such problems.

Reader of the site Jeff D. has notified us that he’s been in contact with Nokia Support on the matter and that they’re trying to isolate the problem:

“I had the issue and I've been in contact with Nokia.  They swapped devices with me so they could study mine with apps installed, settings set, etc. I did the update on the fresh phone and then did a hard reset before starting to install my apps and set my settings.  The connectivity issues are still there.  I've had some email contact with the Nokia team, but I have no idea if they are on a path towards resolution yet.  I'm glad to know that they are looking into it and actively seeking a fix.”

In other words, Nokia does appear to be responding to the numerous complaints are actively investigating it. The bad news is we of course have no ETA on a fix (or knowledge of what is causing it).

Faulty carrier settings?

Lumia Access Point AT&T

One oddity that seems to coincide with the 1308 firmware is varying options under ‘Access Point’ in Settings. Access Point is Nokia’s custom software that will allow users to switch SIMs on their Windows Phone. It’s basically a list of carrier settings, including gateways for data and SMS/MMS, that users enable when changing their micro SIM cards to ensure adequate pairings.

At least on our device (and a few others), AT&T has no less than three settings: AT&T 3G, AT&T – LTE 1- Lumia, and AT&T – LTE 2- Lumia. What the difference is between all three is currently not known, nor do we have any idea of why toggling one over the other would be beneficial. That raises the question how would a normal customer know how to select the best carrier settings (assuming they each do something differently)?

For its part, Nokia Support (via @NokiaCareUS) seems to be under the impression that those settings are a mistake. In a tweet addressing Ian R.’s concerns, Nokia states that those settings “should not be there” even though we have seen them on our 520, 620 and 920 with the 1308 firmware (we’re unsure if they were there prior to the update though).

Poll

As usual in these matters, we’ll toss up a poll to see if we can get a rough idea of how widespread this is (and it’ll help Nokia too). For now, we’ll keep it as mostly “AT&T” and “other” as the majority appear to be on AT&T in the US (though we’re not 100% sure of that).

We’ve of course reached out to Nokia about this issue and are awaiting a response. We’ll certainly pass on anything that we hear on the matter. If sharing info in comments on your experience, please remember to mention carrier/region.

Comments

snakechia says:

So, this update does provide a peace of mind with no calls in. :P

Kieta says:

Lol....I don't want to miss late night booty calls though.....

Its att LTE coverage on the windows phones in general.  My 900 wont use data on LTE here in Reading PA.  To force H+...make a call and instantly hang up.  it kicks off LTE and stays on H+ for a couple min for me.  Thats when I can use my data.  Att said they have had LTE issues in California, Texas, and PA...BS if you ask me.  Jumped back to my Galaxy Exhiliarate and the LTE works fine.

T-rom09 says:

I've been having location issues. My phone has me in a different state from time to time

lottidah says:

It was rock solid here before the update, now not so much. My phone shows three bars LTE yet web pages won't load. I called my cell. It never rang and went to vm. Truthfully, it feels like I'm back on T-Mobile. Hoping for a speedy resolution.

At home my phone seems to be fine, I don't have issue with connectivity. It helps that I am on wifi there though. At work (Downtown Fort Worth) my lumia will often show 3 bars and LTE but have no or very slow internet capability when prior to the update to 1308 I was getting great performance with LTE and never losing connection. Now in my office will frequently show no signal at all and I will not receive calls or texts either. The only time it seems to work correctly is when it switches to 4G instead of LTE, which it does very infrequently. As a result my battery life is worse than it was before the update when at work, and the phone is nearly worthless while in the office. Seriously considering going back to the previos firmware version no matter how difficult just so I can have a phone that works in my office.

MerlotC says:

Ive got a 920 and Att in San Jose and have had no issues with the update.

jeffaz76 says:

This says it all http://t.co/QPFGqqWUtt

mrbill66 says:

I have no Access Point listed in my update....and no problems

sfleuriet says:

I've seen a few issues since my firmware update.. Just today, my 920 said I was connected to LTE but I live in an area many miles away from any LTE signal. I was actually connected to WiFi at the time.

bobsc26 says:

My att 920 with 1308 has definite connectivity problems with 2 bars LTE.

bobsc26 says:

SF bay area

Nazaroth says:

I haven't seen any issues on EE in the UK, but am happy to report that the proximity sensor issue that has plagued my 920 for months seems to have been rectified with this update!!!!

kiddori says:

It's affecting my wifi as well. I can have a great wifi connection but no internet connection.

TrCeaAstTer says:

I wouldn't mind downgrading back to previous firmware but I don't know how. I'm familair w/ android rooting but windows is a bit more locked down. Is there a way to do it thru the Window 8 Windows Phone App? I would really just prefer to regress until there's a patch. Any help or diretion is greatly valued.

AFuentesJr says:

After the update I have connectivity issues and now none of my Live Tiles work after a soft reset :(

deckem says:

So Nokia may respond quickly to this issue, but they continue to ignore the random, frequent freezing problem that many Lumia 920 owners (including me) experience on an almost daily basis?

ind1g0 says:

Just got 33Mbps off ATT LTE on 920

danielgray says:

Had 3 different L920s and all often give network errors. Failed calls. Its not new

hyperthermia says:

im also having cellular connectivity issues and i have the global unlocked version from dubai. my firmware version is 1249. this has been going on for a week and it gets frustrating because i dont know what to do, im not even on att and has not updated to 1308. anyone having the same prob?

tgzgeorge says:

This is just not an ATT, I'm with Rogers and am also having this connectivity issues with LTE or data in general. Had a few missed calls myself so issues with phone functionality as well.

huristm says:

Since receiving the update I was fairly sure my brower speed had decreased particularly when it comes to signal strength.
Something I was not very sure of was my batter.  Initially, my battery seemed to be draining faster but I couldn't be certain until late last week.  Seems that every day for the last four days, I have had to charge my phone before bed at 10pm to avoid my battery being completely drained by 530am when I wake.  Unfortunately, charging to completion before bed does not resolve the problem.  By the time I wake up my battery is completely dead.
Something I also noticed is that a few times when I picked up my phone after it was not in used, the phone was warm to the touch as if i had been browsing the internet or making a call.  I only allow two apps to run in the background and have since turnd off all background tasks to see if the problem persists.
Hopefully Nokia is working on a solution.  Regardless, I still LOVE my 920 so this little hiccup won't change how I feel about this phone.

pigeonkat says:

So happy to find this article - same thing is happening to me after the update.  My service (ATT) drops sporadically while I am at the office (Orange County, CA area)...I do not seem to have the same issues in the Los Angeles area where I live.  I hope they fix this soon...super frustrated.

Waqas Gulzar says:

Can anyone tell me that Viber and Whatsapp can work properly ???
sms marketing in dubai abu dhabi

YingTK says:

Same issue here with a brand new 920 from AT&T! At work I lost connection very often. When I turn the screen on, I often see NO BARs at all, then goes back and forth between to 2~3 bars and no bars. At home, I lost tons of phone calls, even got nothing when my friend called me with his iphone right at my door (don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of apple product at all). Back when I was using my lumia 900, none of these ever happened to me.

Amirtha says:

Nokia has no answers for many customer query related to any sort of  AT and T issues,really annoyed a lot to get use the features of Nokia Lumia window  8 Phone, wifi hotspots are really not worth, with the most struggle fixed an issue from getting into forum discussions and I request nokia's windows 8 mobile  developers to concentrate more on windows phone 8 issues.

taymur says:

this is idiotic, my lumia 720 have issues with lockscreen, my girlfriends lumia 920 has connictivity issuse, nokia really did a bad job with lumia going with wp, all the complaints, dont you see it guys?
a problem like connectivity shouldnt wait till amber comes! this is a major issue that needs to be solved within days. not months

Maybe it's a little bit late for this, but I am from Mexico and had been experiencing the same on my 920 with carrier Telcel. Not them nor Nokia could solve this issue, but I did on my own by leaving WhatsApp open, going to settings and turning WiFi off, then going back to WhatsApp.
I posted about this on my car blog, where sometimes I talk about tech too. It's in spanish, but you can use the translating tool on top of the sidebar. Not doing this to promote, just to let you know there's a solution.
Here's the link to my post http://wp.me/p2bCRg-1In

Firaenix says:

I'm still having this problem on my Lumia 925 (Amber update)

dandashx says:

Me too having this problem on Lumia 920 (Amber+GDR2), carrier: Vodafone Egypt.

Nokia care replaced my internal board and the same issue still exist

Triacona says:

I live in the UK and I am on Vodafone and I am experiencing the same issues???

I used to have a fairly speedy connection, but after the update, it has all gone to hell!

Anyone else from the UK with Vodafone?

Does anyone know when Nokia will be able to push the update, I was in the Voidafone shop and they said that it would be within a week or so?

Marsiss Tian says:

This is a really interesting issue.

I did not have any data connection problem after the amber update, as I was traveling out of US when I installed the update, it worked fine under non-att carrier's network.

After I was back to US last sunday, I found my lumia 920 did not have any (or tiny) data connection although it's under LTE network and full-bar signal.

I went to a local ATT store, they installed a new sim card, useless. And suggesting me to call customer service.

I searched internet and found out this webpage, and the problem is solved after I install the "access point" in my 920.

Really speechless.