Facebook Beta for Windows Phone 8

Microsoft announces new Facebook beta for Windows Phone 8, revamped and more features

Your calls have been answered, well sorta. Microsoft today announced that a new, recently redesigned Facebook app (beta) for Windows Phone 8 is now available for you to try out and provide feedback. Yes, you can go and download it right now.

The app features “…new support for high-res photos, post sharing, and Facebook Timeline”, which should go a long way in making users happy--though being beta means it won’t be 100% stable, solid nor feature complete, so take it with caution.

Facebook Beta for Windows Phone 8

But hey, Microsoft has finally redesigned the official Facebook app (or at least started to), answering many of your calls to overhaul the app for the popular social network. While the current version of Facebook for Windows Phone will continue to remain on the Store, it has garnered many complaints from users even despite the numerous updates it has received over the last few months.

The question for you, die-hard Facebook users, is this redesign and new feature set to your liking or not? Sound off in comments.

Grab the official Facebook Beta version 5.0.1.0 right here in the Store.

Source: Windows Phone Blog

QR: Facebook Beta

Comments

phatboy66 says:

This app is BOSS!

CRASHFIRE says:

I like the look and feel of the old app. And it was original to Windows Phone. While it wasn't perfect, it looked better than the standard iOs and Android app that this is based off of. Boo to you Microsoft. I wish you would just fix the old app. It has the best interface of all Facebook apps on all oses. And for those that think this has a metro feel are dumb. It works the same on iOs and Android. They can swipe left and right as well. This isn't metro or unique to Windows Phone.

Tafsern says:

But it works! Hey, I'm not saying Metro is bad, but it's not a point to be different when this new app clearly works great.

WinFan1 says:

you might be in the minority right there bro.

CRASHFIRE says:

I know I am not in the minority on this. Others have stated it. But people on here are hypocrites. They rave about Windows phone and want this and that for the device. But they want it to look like iOS and Android. What's the point then?

Andr3sfc says:

They don't want it to "look like iOS and Android"; they want it to WORK.

WinFan1 says:

im not saying your wrong im just saying that at this point a facebook app that works is better than a metro facebook app that doesnt. (metro according to what your calling it) know what i mean i personally feel that even though they changed the overall look they did keep metro principles which are flat design and content first there.

markfive says:

Have to say that this is a real step forwards for this app. It seems like MS have listened to the feedback about having an app that is more in tune with Facebook's house style. Granted the app has lost a few Metro elements in the process but on balance my personal view is that it's a reasonable trade-off.
Noticed a few bugs but that's what the feedback button is for.

nMIK-3 says:

HUGE update. It was about time! Definitely a step to the right direction.

I notice that more and more apps are dropping the "Metro" design and to be honest I am glad. I really like Metro it is a very beautiful design language and very eye candy, but its taking a serious amount of space that causing functionality and usability problems and especially in small screen it becomes a real problem. Major Apps was suffering from this, including Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare.

Twitter dropped the design couple of months ago, Facebook today and the upcoming redesigned Foursquare is also dropping it. (just few examples).

Also I noticed this directly from the Windows Phone Blog:

"If, on the other hand, you want to see where we and the Facebook team are headed..."

Hopefully this means that Facebook is now directly involved with the Windows Phone App Development. I will ask my sources to find out.

kmoth says:

I don't agree that Twitter abandoned Metro; it feels like an update to it. This new Facebook app on the other hand, threw it out and set it on fire.

nMIK-3 says:

Where is the "Metro" design on the new Twitter App for Windows Phone?

CRASHFIRE says:

The Twitter app isn't Metro at all. It is exactly the same as Android and iOS.

The problem with the original Facebook app is that Microsoft tried to make an app that is a hybrid of Metro design and Facebook design and the just doesn't work. It's like making a sport car that is also a truck.

Had Microsoft made a Facebook app that is entirely Metro, it would look like the People Hub. It would work fine, but it would look nothing like Facebook.

Microsoft finally gave that up and basically went entirely with Facebook design.

devize says:

Facebook is definitely involved with this app now. Notice that when pinning messages to your start screen you get the facebook messenger icon. I doubt Facebook would have allowed that had they not been working with them.

azmansell says:

I certainly hope they intend to make a 7.8 app.

Tafsern says:

Works like a charm! Great job :)

rubenbest says:

That app is sexy! I love it needs to be official fast

kmoth says:

The app is better than the old one, but it looks like an IOS app, not a metro one. Some people here are deluding themselves saying otherwise.

glassadam says:

To that I say: who cares? It works, it's what was needed, and it still looks good. Does it really matter to you if it looms like the app on a competing platform? If it were flat-out ugly or lacking functionality specifically because of the new design, then you might have a point. But it's all good, so now all you folks unhappy because it looks like an ios app sound a bit whiny....

hohohohanfan says:

Somehow I couldn't load the wpcentral Facebook page, didn't really try for other pages though

Nickkk101 says:

Also the threaded messages/ comments are now in the reverse order to the original app ie in chronological order with the most recent at the top. Seems less intuitive this way despite email inboxes operating that way for years...

rockstarzzz says:

They made you a touch.facebook.com
Thanks for all that moaning about how Android version is better. #RIPMetro

Beshoy Hanna says:

Metro has to evolve too

mr.nielsen says:

Why are you commenting when you obviously don't care about design? Go play with Android if that's what you like.

rockstarzzz says:

You mean devolve?

WinFan1 says:

i personally feel that even though they changed the overall look they did keep metro principles which are flat design and content first.

Its really good Big like!!
And know instargam and YouTube app!!

pointclouds says:

At last! Much more information can be seen. The original app was useless. This one is really good. Thanks MSFT!

Beshoy Hanna says:

Yay Microsoft! W00T!

Micah Dawson says:

I like it so far.

mr.nielsen says:

What's the point of Windows Phone and Metro design, if even Microsoft publishes apps that makes it look like something else?

glassadam says:

What's the point of making apps adhere to a certain design principle at the cost of functionality, information density, and usability? Microsoft made the right move in this one, and it still mixes in some metro elements. But it doesn't force those principles at a major cost to the end product which j would argue happens to apps windows phone alls all the time, including the old Facebook app.

Amran Nagal says:

Guys does the app has page management feature?
I am an admin of page with 20k followers I really need this feature badly.

lubbalots says:

Alot of diehard fb fans here. All in all, I hardly use the app. Built in FB is good enough for me.

danielgray says:

Me too, but built in apps cannot like individual photos, share posts, or handle events. Do all that and I don't need the Facebook app.

everthing okay..just it takes long time too loading and cannot tagging..hope microsoft can update n we can tagging people..btw,it nice..thanx microsoft :)

Dazzi says:

Eh? Click the picture and press the icon that looks like a price tag.

Ratman826 says:

I just wanted to ask, why there's a logo change? Like the white line is gone on the bottem of the design, this is the same on iOS and Android

kenzibit says:

Because facebook changed the look of their logo.

lemonsteveo says:

Even facebook is going all metro.

This is the NEW official facebook thing ... so it should be the same over each platform.

gtbuzz says:

Is this the "something nice" that Joe Belfiore mentioned last week?

deadwrong03 says:

I thought that was the pic stitch app

SleepyTheDon says:

Very Nice I love the "Metro" style

chucky says:

It looks awesome, finally Microsoft we've been waiting for this, now all we need is instagram hehe ;)

cruelvaldez says:

I get an error everytime I try to download it :(

PipoDj says:

Few observations:
1. It is FAST!. but not without flaws. the pull to refresh in the News Feed is nicely done but fails a few times.  If i am not mistaken in iOS version, whenever a new item is available in the newsfeed, there's a notification bar that tells you "You have 10 new items" and tapping on it will let you go to latest newsfeed. Not complaining though but i wish that too could be implemented on the new facebook app.
2. Swiping to the left or right which reveals the app drawer/menu or the chat drawer is simply intuitive and smooth! I couldn't ask for more.
3. When tapping on the notification icons, say the messages icon, the red indicator doesn't disappear UNLESS you press the back button or you go to the other pages (app drawer or chat). One surprise for me is, for example you're in the messages  icon and you swipe to the left, you get to the new notifications or when you swipe right you get to the new friends request list. cool!
4. I am yet to find any obvious glitch or disappointment
5. I am loving the new app.
6. JUST DON'T EVER IMPLEMENT THE CHATHEAD ABOMINATION! :)

kenzibit says:

Nice observations.....u should send them a feedback....using that feature under app settings

Pacs_R_Us says:

1. The notification bar does say how many new items there are. I noticed it on mine and thought it was useful.

Quin 2013 says:

I also noticed that. Great implement!

danielgray says:

Created a new photo album, it created 3. Cannot tag photo on upload, would like to upload multiple pictures to an album.

lubbalots says:

Ok, I downloaded the new FB beta app and its ugly as shit. Looks just like a mobile web site. How can anyone like this. Just fix what you already have.

Dazzi says:

Why try to reinvent the wheel when it works?

I think Microsoft have done the right thing by tweaking the original design, with large Metro style text.

kenzibit says:

Please come to WP7.5 too...please not 8 only. Super excited about thus app...damn finally!

Shambels says:

Microsoft does care!

Juzz Tianz says:

A lot of crashes. Cannot sign in to FB. Going to try sign in again later.

thomppa79 says:

A good day for WP today. The commercial of Apple & Samsung fighting getting lots of attention, and now this facebookapp that we have been waiting for!

marpad87 says:

It's nice and fluid. I like it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed using the "previous" version too, but with the official release of the new desktop News feed, the Windows Phone experience will look similar. So both on desktop and mobile will look the same. I prefer this.

pankaj981 says:

Pinned this to my start, i am loving this!!

Pacs_R_Us says:

Love the new app..tho I still cant use the keyboard in landscape mode. Also, when you go to comment on a picture, you lose the picture you're commenting on. Not a deal breaker but that's the feedback I sent of stuff I noticed was just...lacking. Other than that, I already love this new FB app leaps and bounds over the older one.

Quin 2013 says:

Thanks for sending that out. I also sent the same feedback.

Now I agree with my brother. Always buy apple. Nop Wp7.x Support is even funny.

Kelvin Li says:

there is still a 100 photo view limit on albums. when are they going to fix this!! It is my biggest gripe about windows phone and facebook!.

izzykahn says:

Be sure to report it to Facebook. Go to settings and report the problem so that the app can get better.

izzykahn says:

I am really in love with this app!! I made sure I reported some problems so the app can get better. I cannot wait for the real deal. I even told them, "Please hurry with an Instagram app".

Chemilinski says:

I read these comments with people saying it looks like the iOS/Android apps which made me think it would be just like the browser version and a bit pointless, but it actually really has its own styling. And fits very well within Metro.
I like the top banner with the photos in the old one but overall this design is better in my opinion.

Slenzen says:

This app is awesome! But missing the metro style! MS should have found a way to make it awesome in metro style!

tone84 says:

When people comment on your status.. I noticed it puts the most recent comment at the top.. Not sure if that's on purpose or not?

Slide to the right, news feed gear, most recent.

useme2useyou says:

Actually looks very gooood... ;-)

The new beta is blazing fast... Just like the WPC Beta... I like this trend of things getting faster.

CombatRock says:

So far so good on 822

Nice and smooth, but "just like Android..." or "same as IOS". So much for switching to a WP, huh? Could have just refined the old one, imo.

Montpbm says:

It's about time!!!!

tony1213 says:

Damn error! I wanna try it. Dang it!

t3chnick says:

Looks good to me! Uninstalled the original

DrewLumia900 says:

MUCH faster on my Samsung Ativ S. I uninstalled the Original FB and was using Facebook for WP8 but the chat functionality was garbage. This is MUCH better!

surfaced says:

Terrific update, Fluid, usable UI, lots of features now visible. Next would be to add Facebook video calling within the app an alternative to Skype for a quick call.

walter1832 says:

And just like that, everyone had deleted the 3rd party FB apps that have littered the store.  This new one works pretty good.

luk3ja says:

Much slower on HTC 8X. It feels to me like a html5 webapp and Facebook tried html5 for android and iphone and they said it was the biggest mistake they ever made and went to native for blazing fast apps. Now Microsoft might have gone to html5? Please don't Microsoft, learn from facebooks mistakes!

luk3ja says:

Also why is fastappresume so much slower on windows phone? On iphone it's literally instant! Here we get a black screen for a second or two or we get resuming...

Montpbm says:

I was wondering the same thing... I know it is instant on IOS and Android but WP8 is slow compared too those OS. Agreed 100%!

luk3ja says:

It's also completely instant on Windows RT so why not instant on WP8?

wptom says:

<p>Not sure why everyone is so happy about this &quot;app&quot;. It looks and behaves just like a wrapper for touch.facebook.com. A nice wrapper, yes, but still... If it was a real app you could swipe right or left through pictures in your timeline when your friends post multiple pictures at once. Also I dislike the absence of Metro. And the collection of picture albums is gone. Have all of you ever invested more than 3 minutes into the now &quot;old&quot; FB app of Microsoft. Then you should have noticed all the great things in it which are sorely missing now. I say if you want that app to behave like the iOS or Android app then why don&#39;t you use such a phone???</p>

glassadam says:

And I say this is a beta so all the stuff you say is missing from the old one is probably yet to be implemented here. And we should switch phone platforms because we like how a certain app on a competitor works/looks? Get a grip, guy.

wptom says:

Microsoft Betas are most often unfortunately feature complete. The assumption that missing stuff will be added later is just not valid.

glassadam says:

When are mobile apps ever feature complete? Even MS' last crappy Facebook app got updated with new features to help it keep up. What makes you think this one would be different?

wptom says:

The now "old" Microsoft Facebook app received bug fixes only. And as a reader of wpcentral you are probably very aware of this. So please don't try to insult my intelligence by playing dumb. OK?

glassadam says:

Whoa guy, I wasn't playing dumb, if you're correct then I wasn't aware of this. I'm a faithful site reader but I guess I must have missed it. Maybe you can calm the hell down and we can have a discussion like normal people, ok?

Daniel change Avantar, look handsome!!!

Montpbm says:

Now will or is this app on Windows 8??? My surface RT needs an app! :)

Pappa Ed says:

At work so no time to go into it more than just a little. First impression is it's a step in the right direction. Like it.

rx74ray says:

What about the folks on 7.8? :(

michael_20 says:

really fast on my l920

jabz9 says:

Works great on my 8x

Very very fast on my Lumia 620. Works very great!!!

This app is so much simpler and easier to use then the old one. Thank you for creating it

Daylife says:

I love it!! Woot

It is really TIME TO SWITCH. To Apple.

Let me try to explain.
My phone with 7.8 will not get this update. Apple offer support to even 3GS phohe. A 2009 phone. Before you argue to say that 3GS and Iphone 4 receive IOS 6 with some cuts, the API's is there, so even though you don't get all new stuff, devs can release apps to the 3GS, the only requirement to see is hardware, not APIs like Windows Phone.
That is sad. That even a budget phone with 2.3 android have a decent support. In other side I stuck with this laggy facebook. =/

I know that I would never exchange to android. But for IOS yes. It is smooth (not like windows), but wil get a nice support. The API's are there. I don't feel left like in MS.
Get it?

glassadam says:

How do you know this new facebook app will not come to 7.8? Just because the bedta isn't available for it doesn't really mean anything. But who cares. Enjoy your iPhone 3gs then, I guess. Heh

Look what Michael Stroh answered me: @marcusasdrubal: Please stop spamming the blog. I've been in meetings. I don't know the answer since I'm not on the app's development team.

COULD YOU BELIEVE IN THAT?

mondokjm says:

Enjoy your iPhone then. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with WP was not perfect. Your standards might have been too high for a platform that jumped into the game a few years late. You cannot deny the growth and progress of WP since the first gen devices. A lot of us have had a less than perfect time with windows phone especially if we've been on the ship from the start. But the difference is that some of us expected glitches and missteps along the way, but we never gave in because we have a passion and vision for the platform and slowly, more people are siding with the 3rd option in smartphone technology.

guitarob says:

L920: Smooth, clean, fast, filters are the same as on the desktop. Great job so far!

The original FB app looked better and fitted better with the windows phone . Now this one is just like the other one.

One thing that I like about most WP8 apps, they look and suited WP. They look intuitive to WP. But if all apps start to look like iOS and Android, what's the point of changing. WP is about being different, right?

glassadam says:

Nope, it's not about just being different. Different is good if it improves. In the case of the old fb app, it definitely didn't improve on the other platforms' apps. Being different for the sake of being different and not for the sake of improving the experience is just being stupid.

Shobiz says:

Well I have a L900 and my co worker has a L920. This is wrapper for the touch website. Fix the older app

k1s23 says:

the metro design of the original completely set it apart from any other facebook app on any other platform which i enjoyed a lot.  now it's just "a facebook app".  would have been better to just improve the original!

That's what Microsoft failed to do in the new facebook app https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/design

NinjaX says:

You gotta practice what you preach, they say.

mrs7079n says:

New is always better...right?...I mean...um...right?...

clay113 says:

Nice improvement!  Even though this is beta, I have removed their other FB app from my 920.  I can work between the people hub and this now.  Keep up the good work.

Quin 2013 says:

I'm glad to see there are more people embracing the new beta design and less negativity towards it, unlike prior I would read hate comments on anyone that thought the original app was not as good.

CronGM says:

I'm using it on a Lumia 920 and while it could be faster it's not that bad. I like that the layout is now similar to the mobile site and other platforms (makes for better use of space), and we FINALLY can share posts. Good one!

alijahg34 says:

Love the new Facebook application the resuming black screen is so windows 7.5 though what gives, beta

Jazmac says:

Seems pretty nice to me. I rather like the direction myself.

I miss the picture collage at the top...

iosub says:

No accented character permitted.. Example á, é, í ... I just reported , with this bug, it's hard to use it in Spain ..

barnettb99 says:

I can finally share stuff again!

Fran_FLV says:

We are losing WP style :(

Nick Garza says:

I think the design sucks. Big time. The problems with the original app were with the missing functions, not the design/interface.

It looks like an android port or a web app which is freaking disappointing. Big time. I use WP largely because of the UI. Everything had a consistent look and feel that I like. This goes for most of the apps as well. Then, I open up the beta and I get an android port thrown in my face. Pretty damn terrible

topleya says:

I dislike the black bar across the top though, breaks the slick look up a bit

giorgio h says:

I want to try it out

simccarthy says:

Love it!! Works great...finally!

neo158 says:

I actually like the look of the beta, keeping the design consistant with the iOS and Android apps means that if the Windows Phone version is faster than the awful Android version people may be more likely to switch platforms.

markk132 says:

This was a long time coming, much needed and they delivered. Only very small complaints but it is beta and honestly every feature is supported. Sharing posts, chat, timeline, etc. were all much needed. But lets all keep in mind it is in beta and Microsoft needs our constructive feedback to continue improving it.

Shambels says:

Maybe they will overhaul YouTube next :)

neo158 says:

Or not considering there is no YouTube app for Windows Phone because Google are being asshats about making the APIs available!!!

PipoDj says:

I'd like to have someone from here create a mockup of an updated FB app in the metro design language as clearly, some here are bemoaning the fact that the Facebook Beta lost the metro design interface. It would me something nice if FB team and MS consider the idea of merging the design language of the m.facebook.com with the design language of Metro.

slh7d says:

I liked the "metro" version also, but I HATED that it didnt filter the news feed items that I hid on FB, like farmville, etc etc.  I also didnt like the small picture thumbnails.
So, keep metro, bigger thumbnails, and carry timeline/feed settings from FB.

tony1213 says:

Seems pretty good but it also feels and looks too much like IOS and Android's. Needs more Metro! Hopefully they fix the integration with the message app

tony1213 says:

Also they should implement some kind of Chat head look a like. Lol.

L3vi says:

I'm having trouble clearing my notifications. Anybody else?

Soooo it's official, 7.X users are not being supported. That's unfortunate for us Lumia 900 users.

Lilleverden says:

Norwegian character support somehow got lost in this build. He he, but rest is great

So far so good. Can't "reply" to comments, edit comments or see past edits. But its a good start. The top bar seems large for just icons, they should make it smaller

billiam149 says:

Is the beta one going to replace the official one?

morpheus1982 says:

Eventually yes, but at the moment its a separate app.

clbarker10 says:

805a0194 error here. Can't download on my 820 near Houston.

Same for me. Have been trying to see if anyone else has this problem?

puredrive07 says:

I like it, kind of looks like the IOS version to me.

TheAsad_1 says:

U think its great, especially with the fb in the app

wiseguywood says:

I definitely prefer this new beta to the old app and I've only used it for 5 minutes.

thirdday2002 says:

I already like the beta, bugs and all, better than the current finished product.

kanagucdm says:

The Banner height of the beta app should be still reduced.

mcivor88 says:

Better! Although my noticications keep saying i've 10! Bit annoying bit I understand it is a beta version

treetownal says:

This looks great.  A big improvement over the prior version.  It is similar to the version on my iphone, but so what?  The iphone's version was superior to the old WP app as is this new WP app.

KevinCHN says:

Seems like an iOS version, how could Microsoft design like this.

wpward291 says:

The app is great now

treetownal says:

Is anyone's batter runnign down at an alarming rate since this was installed?

izzykahn says:

Would anyone possibly be considering purchasing a locked Nokia Lumia 810? I spent $450 and I'll sell for $380-$400 if so, comment and I'll give you my email and from there we can text. :)

Snow says:

Well this is much better than the original.
1. The original has no news feed option for top news
2. The banner in the original sucks. Takes too much space

tendoboy1984 says:

So why doesn't Facebook make its own app, instead of handing it to Microsoft?

tendoboy1984 says:

Why even make an app if Facebook is integrated into the Windows Phone 8 OS?

pmich says:

Seems like a step back..almost looks more like a mobile site as oppose to a wp8 designed app.

edsal says:

Can't download on my lumia 810 error code 805a0195.

Andr3sfc says:

Try to install it via windowsphone.com.

Andr3sfc says:

Try to install it via windowsphone.com.

Andr3sfc says:

Try to install it via windowsphone . com.

Downloaded the app and i'v been using it for some time now, its WAY bettert than the old facebook app from microsoft, and the best facebook app i'v ever used on WP8.
Yet it still in bata so we can do so much more. but i really miss the METRO UI wich makes a WP a WP .. but this one is so much more functional and quick to load and the swipe feature makes it so much easy and fun. but i still got the same problem with the notifications ( They are late ).
1. i'd love to have the option to save images to my library.
2. notifications should work better than it does now.
3. im having some lag/ unresponsevness to tuch when i try to check notifications or messeges in the top of the app.
but in overal ... its a step on the right way.
PS: i do <3 LOVE the Flat icon of the new facebook, looks great on my home screen now.

oldboy 5150 says:

Munch better and fast than the current Facebook app. I have L920. I noticed that it drains battery quickly and the phone gets hot. Can't save pictures to phone. Other than that it works great!

dbgman says:

Nice update. You can click on links, timeline, share posts,  pin friends or pages to start menu is a few I already found new.
I liked the old UI but like the additional features and more real estate (no more banner) make this one better in my opinion.

Just swype to the left or right to get your your favorites or chat just like the full web version.

DrewLumia900 says:

Anyone else notice that the app is a real battery drainer? I have been using it for about half a day now and I am normally at approximately 50% battery level on my Samsung ATIV S around 430pm EST and I am already down to 29%.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I disabled the feature that updates your phones background by accessing your Facebook photos and the battery drain has stopped.

hbkzara says:

How do u disable that? Plz

Andr3sfc says:

Just go to the app "settings" and set "lock screen" off.

duoFurious says:

I'm excited to have better status updates and an attempt at an update to the app. This is far better than the current app though some features from the old wouldn't be so bad on the new. Like the layout. I'm not a fan of chat being built in since its in messenger and can scroll to different locations. Now have to chose it from a menu

afgzee says:

its a major improvement but notifications are still dont work!

dreonedon says:

I can't unfriend people help please how can I unfriend someone that's the only reason I didn't use the old Microsoft Facebook

Stop adding people you don't want on your page lol

Cjax2011 says:

I likey! So far the app is smooth and asthetically pleasing. The transition time is sometimes a little delayed but I would assume that is something that will be addressed.

Dazzi says:

This app is the bomb, and it blows Facebook mobile site out of the water. The other Facebook app (Microsoft) is getting deleted right now, as I never hardly used it anyway.

Furthermore, the large text is keeping true to the Metro design language.

cybermoose89 says:

I like the new app who evers saying its slow shh yer moosh takes 1-2 seconds max to load even as a beta im liking it so far XD!

Nick Garza says:

Know what? Screw the WP OS/UI, I think its about time they adopted the android OS....

scadidas says:

I have been using Facebook JDP, it looks just like this except your theme color also changes inside the app. Pretty sweet!

brefstarr says:

I think its faster on my 920, also miles better with alot more usability. About time i say!!!

This app is so much better than the last mess, bugs and all. I dont care if its not "metro"- its functional and intuitive. Only thing missing (for me) is the ability to save pictures.

dreonedon says:

Live tile stops working after you upload a photo Lumia 920. I uninstalled the app then reinstalled it uploaded a picture and like clock work live tile stopped working smh at mwp

Robert513 says:

Finally!! This is Awesome...I hated that banner!

rdubmu says:

Having an issue where the notification count of 22 is stuck. Anybody else having an issue with notifications?

Andr3sfc says:

About time. I've be using FB mobile site since the beginning of my WP experience. I was thinking about waiting for the final version to download the app, but I'm gonna give it a try and maybe help with feedback for further improvements.

RogueCode says:

Tisk, so Microsoft is making ports now. :-/

Robert513 says:

This is whats going to make people switch. Its the familiarity with the other OS's.

rokat says:

I really like the new app.. I still need to see how the notifications are on this one. I hated the notifications on the facebook app. But this looks much cleaner/smoother and best of all is I can pin the groups to my start screen so I can keep a tab of the individual group activity right from the start screen..

I like it! Its a lot more functional, I always thought the old app was a bit of a bodge job... Always felt like a guy in his attic wrote it!

wptom says:

And now that you have a wrapper for touch.facebook.com you don't think so? I think that way more brain went into the now old FB app of Microsoft.

nifraxli says:

Like the new look. Banner gone and that's a great improvement.
Can't use Swedish letters å, ä or ö, probably because of the beta status.
On the minus side I'm still missing ability to download pictures.
Otherwise I think this is the Facebook-app I've been waiting for! Great work, Microsoft!

osku598 says:

How about WP 7.x

ELIAS12 says:

How to go offline in chatting without signing out ?

joelsilva says:

Windows phone 7.8?

I just want the people hub to support Facebook groups.  Then I wouldn't even need a separate app... :(

This new design is leagues ahead of the old one - I can't be the only one tired of seeing that same metro style app layout. Having exactly the same layout for all apps is not the way forward, because it just makes them all look cheap. The new fb design looks gorgeous while maintaining the flat design principles that microsoft are loving these days, and man it's sooo smooth to use, much better than on ios and android

MrSean490 says:

Its official, WP7 has truly been left behind. Support for the latest features possible for the largest network is critical

glassadam says:

I am by no means a heavy Facebook user, but I downloaded the beta and I gotta say, this thing is miles ahead of the regular app. Great work, MS. Ps I love that they got rid of the banner image and keep the status bar at the top. More apps need that.

joeynox says:

The new Facebook might have lost the bar but it doesn't seemed to have gained any new screen real estate . I prefer the look of the old Facebook app. This new one looks like a cheap mobile site rip off

jwinch2 says:

Its better than the older version, but with no lanscape mode, I won't be using it.  Its only a Beta version, so perhaps that will be there on the full release.

bt66 says:

Miss the picture banner..but I don't feel it's slow on my L920. Notifications so far are pretty good. Much improved as to hit or miss in the past.

I love the APP because it's so responsive and the new features are extremely welcomed. However the only thing that bothers me about this APP is that it doesn't follow the traditional wp UI... Why?
Does this mean that developers are able to customize their own APPS as they see fit?

MrSean490 says:

I mean, if this new Facebook is only for WP8 and WP7 remains on v2, then WP7 will quickly devalue into crapness quickly

jamsjordn says:

I've been using the touch site because the old app kept having connection issues and would always tell me there was an error and everything failed but would sometimes go through.
Anyway this beta is already far more stable. Just waiting to see how notifications are.

Infamy79 says:

I really like it so far, but only just installed it so don't know how well notifications work yet
One thing I'd like to get working is being able to change the privacy of a post. The icon is there, but it doesn't seem clickable. Sometimes if someone puts up something on my wall I don't want everyone to see I don't want to have to wait until I get home to be able to hide it.

ogamawab says:

No 7.8.. Microsoft fails once more..

Hope we can finally send images and videos trough it on final version

kuhio3 says:

How do you get rid of the notifications?.. I swipe to the right ,I swipe to the left .. Still shows up ...any suggestions??

hubberttyler says:

Anyone notice the "favorites" section in the chat? I can't seem to figure how to add or remove people from it.

hubberttyler says:

Anyone notice the "favorites" section in the chat. I haven't a clue on how to add or remove people. Would anyone like to enlighten me?

pierrerv says:

Everything is window phone 8. What a out wp7/7.8?

erenken says:

Oh I don't like this app at all. I don't feel like I am using a native windows phone application. I feel like I am using an iOS port.

Charles Wang says:

Here are my thoughts.

1. Notice that while you're in the Notification screen, you can swipe left and right, and it rotates between Notification, Messages, and Friend Requests. That I'd say is pretty Metro-esque in design.
  2. Missing the banner image - I don't think it's hard for them to put this back in, will request it.
  3. Do not like the top bar (status bar) being black - Twitter app coloured it. Also, I find the buttons on top for left and right swipe draw redundant. I mean, if you can swipe to access that, there's no need to have buttons for them. Rather have top left as shortcut to either your profile page or the news feed page. Maybe make it customisable?
  4. Notifications don't seem to work. Live tiles don't seem to work. But it's a work in progress, and a big progress at that!.  - Update: Seems to work okay now ... at least intermittently
  5. Still cannot create or edit events.

Geddeeee says:

It IS beta software.

Maybe MS are trying to get the functionality working properly. Hopefully, once the kinks are ironed out, they will redesign it with the Modern UI feel.

Let's hope so....

17carter says:

I really like the fb app that we have due to the reason its different. The new beta looks like the android and iPhone app

devize says:

No more error messages opening group chats! I just hope notifications for messages start working and I'll be set. Love it.

drg says:

Can anyone find a list of FB pages they've liked?? I see them in my news feed but if I swipe left there's no Pages link and if you go to Friends you only see you're friends, not pages.

UDPATE: Found it! Swipe left and click on your name. Then scroll the about/friends/photos/likes menu and hit Likes. I think that's a bit hidden an can maybe go elseswhere.

Conasca says:

Guy, you must understand that the whole Metro concept is flatness and simplicity. The Twitter app is exactly that.

tone84 says:

It has some bugs but once its not beta it will be awesome.. Hopefully we'll be able to see the status were commenting on..

demonp82 says:

On iPhone 3gs this app is already version 6, but it works like a neverending beta testing. 99% crash and slow as hell! Reading comments on slowdowns and battery drains makes me think Zukerberg should stop making apps. Or to confirm, that his facebook is appincopatible.

moonshine88 says:

Anyone notice that the new Facebook beta gobbles up a huge amount of battery? My phone heats up when I use it

EBynum says:

Yes, that happened to me too. My Lumia 920 got very hot after only about 5 or so minutes of use, and the battery drained quite a bit. I tried it a few times, and had the same issue each time. Sent feedback to MS through the app, then uninstalled it. I like the new app, but I prefer to wait until they work out the bugs and it comes out of Beta.

I cant find it in the store, still shows the old version. I'm in the uk.

Andr3sfc says:

It's not published in the store; you got to download it with the direct link.

Go here: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=93da5d29-daf0-4783-9ed5-a87b33247ec6

thesorehead says:

I was mostly just using the People hub and mobile Facebook site in WP7.8, and I don't see any reason to change now I have a WP8 handset - especially since the touch-centric FB mobile site actually works properly on WP8's browser! The FB app for WP has always been pretty terrible and feature-poor compared to the actual site accessible through the browser. Personally I'd MUCH rather FB work with MS to integrate FB Chat better with the Messaging app.

jasonbeckett says:

Loaded the new app to my Lumia 920...and within a few hours, the phone bricked. I don't want to blame the app...but my phone was working like a champ before I loaded the BETA. Now my phone is worthless. Headed to AT&T tomorrow for a replacement. Maybe it's the unique combination of apps I had loaded on my phone, but it's bricked. Just thought I'd share.

Jacky920 says:

Simply awesome !!! But I dint find option to attach file, edit the comments, "seen" option. Further if anyone knows how to make yourself online and offline from this Facebook app??

djctz says:

I still have my lumia 900 and I use fb mobile site cuz the app still sucks...

toast notification not working

kittananj says:

I got a bug that I can't type the word in Thai. It said I try to type the emoticon in this app. OK, I sent this report to Microsoft already.

But totally is cool!

amcalexandre says:

Does not work on 7.8Os HTC HD7 :-/ Anyway they need to launch a revamped People's Hub!

how1ard says:

My two cents:
I liked the design of the old app and am sad to see it go, so much so I think I'm going back to it. This app doesn't support displaying your status on your lock screen and the large live tile doesn't flip to reveal your status. They are steps backward, yes I know it's Beta but they were cool features why lose them? I also agree that making this look like IOS or Android seems pretty counter intuitive to me. If I wanted a shitty Android or IOS experience I’d have bought one.
Notifications seem to be unreliable, even more so than the old app, so my experience was never that bad with the old one (apart from the occasional flood of three day old notifications) and that's why I'm going back to it.

amcalexandre says:

Doesn't install in 7.8Os HTC HD7 :-/ Anyway the have to launch a revamped Peoples Hub!

aerosmillie says:

Ooooh when I read my fb notifications on the phone (built in) it cleared it from the Facebook live tile. Im sure it didn't do that before and the notifications just built up.

Finally... I like! :)

naosuke says:

Better than the old one

futtawuh says:

Hmm, loads fast and is really smooth on my L920. Much faster than the old one. Just hope Notifications is better in this app. Also, It seems that the new app dont allow "Æ Ø Å " from the norwegian alphabet .

Jasy7 says:

Running amazin fast on L720 and i like its UI.

erg1507 says:

I liked it (interface) a lot but it's a little slow and makes the phone get hot.

Ian Bugeja says:

The wall is similar to the android client which sucks....

Pages