How To

How to record Xbox One gameplay videos and share them on Youtube

The first YouTube uploader app for Windows Phone 8.1 gets a nice update, more to come

One of our favorite YouTube apps, myTube is free for 24 hours

Metrotube will now offer search suggestions and age restricted content in latest update

Podcast

Vector 41: Mergers and accusations

Google's YouTube rumored to be buying video game streamer Twitch for over $1 billion

One Love to rule all your social networks on Windows Phone

App Update Roundup: Cal, Metrotube, TrueCaller, Lockmix and more

Take advantage of the new YouTube mobile website with IE11 in Windows Phone 8.1

Boxcryptor comes to Windows Phone and Windows 8, allows you to encrypt all data you send to the cloud

Xbox

GoPro channel comes to Xbox 360, YouTube sharing improvements to Xbox One

Windows Phone 8.1’s greatly improved YouTube experience, plays under lock screen and more

Nextgen Reader updated for Windows 8, adds new Feedly Pro features and more

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Top Reddit apps for Windows 8, the narwhal bacons at midnight

NCAA March Madness Live advances our Windows Phones to the Sweet 16

Toib brings a beautiful YouTube experience to Windows Phone

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Untappd and beer fans should download Hoppd from the Windows Store

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Reddit! for Windows 8 is a beautiful and functional app for browsing Reddit

You can now open YouTube links directly in Metrotube with minimal effort

Windows

Firefox for Windows 8 is dead, states low user adoption

Enjoy cat videos and more with the Metrotube beta for Windows 8

metroTube for Windows 8

Some good news for all the Metrotube fans out there! You can now head to the Windows Store and download a beta of the popular third party YouTube application for Winows 8/RT. It’s been a fan favorite since it first launched on Windows Phone what feels like eons ago.

Lazyworm Applications, the mad scientists behind both Metrotube for Windows Phone and Tweetro+ for Windows 8, have finally launched their long anticipated app. The app looks and functions similar to its companion app on Windows Phone. Currently the app is free and the team will be taking money in the form of donations through an in-app payment mechanism. Although since this is a beta, I don't think it's in there just yet.

So how’s the app? Really rad.

Sign in with your YouTube account to get access to all your subscriptions and leave some comments. Next, you’ll probably want to hit up the options under the settings charm and change the preferred streaming quality and your region. Otherwise when you’re watching a video just swipe up or right click to change the playback quality.

metroTube SC

On the homepage you get all your subscriptions on the far right, popular, categories, and then in the remaining space on the right you can add either searches or categories. It’s a little function you’ll recognize if you’re a Tweetro+ user. In a future update I’d like to see the ability to add a specific channel. That way you can quickly see the most recent videos for your favorite YouTube user (like us!).

The live tile will flip through screenshots of recent videos that have been uploaded by people you’ve subscribed to. It’s a handsome tile and a quick way to see what’s new on YouTube. The app itself is beautiful and can easily become your favorite way to consume YouTube videos on your Surface or laptop. It works well either in landscape, portrait, or in the snapped view.

Be sure to play around with the beta and leave feedback for the developers.

You can grab it right here in the Windows Store.

Thanks, Daniel, for the tip!

Comments

rudranil says:

Will try it out. I have been using YouTube+ which is pretty good. Hope this will be even better...

Sulslim says:

Thanx God - this is the first BADASS app for Windows 8, need to port more - like a Wikipedia (unofficial), and Nokia's HERE (all of them)

Its F'n gorgeous. Bye bye laggy YoutubeRT

Montpbm says:

Thanks goodness cause I was using that lagging piece of crap PrimeTube and it was so buggy I hated it! Uninstalled PrimrTube and installed MetroTube

onwu says:

Two things:
1. Video walkthrough please?
2. 'The Harvest' just launched
Regretting not having a Surface anymore!

mixtnet says:

What happened to your Surface?

onwu says:

Had to sell it (money issues), but now deciding to wait for either the RT 2 or a Lumia Tablet.

I'm gonna do that wait till the next tablets I haven't got the surface yet

weetigo says:

Excellent first version.  I use YouTube+ currently, but I can see myself switching to metroTube once they get matching features

mase123987 says:

For a second I thought you were going to show us a cat video app.  I was about to question your sanity...

starblade876 says:

Oh... You see, for me, since there's no cat video app, I question the sanity.

Windows phone app is having trouble playing videos for a couple days.

Dadstar0410 says:

Mine has actually started working better in the last few days. Before it could not stream ANYTHING. Now it streams HD with no buffering whatsoever.

wetworker says:

It's pretty nice although when I log into my account it freezes up. Anyone experiencing the same thing? I'm using my Surface.

c0br4 says:

same here

LazywormApps says:

Fire us an email 'support AT metrotubeapp DOT com'. Just make sure to mention that you're having issues with the Windows 8 version and we'll try to get to the bottom of the issue for you!

Miistercoool says:

I love metrotube on my phone so I'm happy to get ride of prime tube on my laptop and switch to metrotube, on another not the only thing I don't like about the windows phone version is you can't download videos in the background, there's a pre-upload option but you have to leave it on or it'll pause the download and it plays as soon as it finishes which is dumb also because I would like to leave and come back to it but the way it is I have to like look at it while it's downloading and pause it once it starts so I can watch it later -_- just saying that needs improvement. Anybody agree? Especially since I'm downloading to watch later because I don't want to waste my DATA during the day when I don't have any WiFi...

Ticomfreak says:

I'd change the video player to include quality, rotation lock, etc. instead of using the appbar, but otherwise is the best Windows 8 app I've used.

kpfogey says:

if the devs are reading this, if you purchased the phone version, will you have to rebuy the windows 8 version if it goes premium?

LazywormApps says:

Both versions of Metrotube are Free.  The Windows Phone version trial is unlimited, unrestricted and ad-free so you only have to pay if you want to support us with a donation of $0.99.

zulu69 says:

Awesome beta. Few things.

Would prefer swiping up with settings (quality), home). Also would be nice if a video played in the background when you get out of the app. Also to let it integrate into the volume/win 8 thing. Second preloading in the background.

Definately loving the first beta. If it had these features then would fully make the switch!!!

WisebloodSA says:

Not bad so far, but one annoying issue I found is it doesn't prevent the screen shutting off when you're watching a video full screen.

Craig Smikle says:

It's pretty but it has me missing PrimeTube's features (like background play) and better use of space. So just like on the phone I'll be sticking with PrimeTube

Darren Lay says:

I still find it more convenient to open IE and use bookmarks than having an individual app for each website I frequent.

fordcom says:

Loving it so far

robooneus says:

I was really excited about this, but it isn"t quite as great an experience as the WP8 app... Why is making a video full screen so difficult??
But, overall, a great looking app that will undoubtedly improve as it moves from Beta. Am more than happy to support the dev.

Dadstar0410 says:

Already bought YouTubeRT... Don't wanna waste my money, but so tempting....

LazywormApps says:

Metrotube is Free :)

too many youtube apps in store :). I use youtube+ and TubeTV. I will give a shot to MetroTube!

Runy says:

TubeTV is nice and different app!

pierrerv says:

Been trying and loving.

cpmcgrath says:

Immediately crashes for me :(

LazywormApps says:

Feel free to fire us a support email 'support AT metrotubeapp DOT com' and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of it

Am i the only one who cant find videos on MetroTube on WP8?, i will put you an example, i was looking for: Tonight Alive - Listening , cant find in Metrotube but i do on Mytube and SuperTube, do i have to buy the full version of MetroTube to watch this or what? Thank you

LazywormApps says:

Correct, this is because the content you are searching for is flagged as 'non-mobile' content by YouTube. We seem to be the only app that adheres to these constraints so might have to open it up in future updates.