Official YouTube app for Windows Phone 8 gets teeny but rapid update

YouTube for Windows Phone 8

We’ll just do this as a PSA post as there probably no new features on board, but just 24 hours after being released to the Store, the official (and new) YouTube app got an update.

Version 3.0.0.1 is now live on the marketplace, and if a 0.0.0.1 update sounds minor, we’ll, you’d probably be right. Most likely this is a quick bug fix for something that could affect a lot of users, so it’s good to see such a high profile app get its due.

You can pick up the update for YouTube on Windows Phone 8 here in the Store. Thanks, Skynetz, for the tip!

QR: YouTube

Comments

UnnDunn says:

What was the issue?

App filled my other storage to capacity. Hopefully this is the fix.

treetownal says:

Same problem.  It added another 400MB to mine.  I have been trying to avoid a hard reset but I'm now well over 8GB and may have no choice.
Six months of waiting for Other storage to be fixed isd messed up.  2 months since Belfiore promised something to address this glaring OS problem.  I will puch in the eye over TCP/IP the next person to suggest Shrink Storage (doesn't work for me) or a Lumia-only app to fix an OS error on my HTC 8x.

The app is Lumia 920 exclusive, doesn't work on my Lumia 810. How did this problem even surface? I don't remember it ever happening in WP7. I'm contemplating grabbing a Nexus 4 until they can sort this out.

cannon#WP says:

It's funny to see this comment juxtaposed to all those people above saying "Get a WP8".

I get an error message every time I open the app but it works after you dismiss it, so I don't know what it's for.

I couldn't pin anything before this update though, now I can, although it's just a blank tile, I was hoping for channel logos.

DreadVenom says:

I get the same error. Its annoying but tolerable because the app is so good and this is just the initial release.

Robin Braun says:

I always get this error report message, too. Also, my app version is 3.0.4888.1 not 3.0.0.0. Not sure if I should downgrade now.

Larylicious says:

I'm in the same boat as you. I updated the app before they sent the app update notice to my phone.

Skynetz says:

Restart the phone and try again, I resolved this way :)

I've restarted mine twice now and it's still popping up.

theefman says:

Negative reviews and comments from 7.8 users are really starting to get ridiculous, like a bunch of impatient 5 year-olds.

Residing says:

^This.  And I'm a WP7.5 user :)

They are just apps, and having them is not going make their devices WP8 devices.  I just don't understand the impatience and complaining; I really don't.

United we stand decided we fall lol
I feel for 7.8 users... I was one of them.
Hopefully 7.8 users upgrade soon and enjoy the wp8 goodness

actually .. my phone became laggy after 7.8 .. I love wp coz it's snappy and gorgeous ..
I was one of the early adopters .. i don't need to buy a phone every year .. i'll upgrade to wp8 but not now ..
I don't know why microsoft is not stepping it up .. i recommend wp to my friends .. my brother got 8x because of me .. why don't they show us big changes?

Zeeshan360 says:

I just bought Lumia 920 last week .. Worth it
I used Lumia 710 for 1 and half year

mr toes says:

I don't see the attraction of this app, its good to get a solid update but mytube/metrotube are still streets ahead with performance and design

blackhawk556 says:

Metro tube is for us techies. This app is for all the regular folks who don't know about third party apps being better for using YouTube.

The fact that MetroTube and MyTube do no support VEVO is the main reason I have not reinstalled either of the apps. All three apps can do just about the same things except MetroTube has a different UI and MyTube has that awesome video background player.

MyTube is awesome.
However I'm going support this app

Ryken100 says:

The most recent update for myTube supports VEVO videos :D

smartboyamo says:

the attraction is that there is an actual Youtube app in the store indicating some type of traction that windows phone is gaining in terms of official high quality apps. Yes 3rd party apps are nice but i think your missing the point of how this Youtube app is affecting the whole windows phone ecosystem.

bilal soomro says:

MYTUBE IS BETTER THEN THIS

Z10YkakPES says:

YourTube? Lol people just hyped cuz its something new, I still think MetroTube is better, plus their hard work and dedication to the platform

I think the new patch allowed searching in other languages.  Yesterday it won't allow me to search in chinese, now it works.

John1506 says:

Its to do with the live tile, binding and updating didn't work 100% i submitted like a couple bug reports

RN50 says:

Does the live tile.actualy do anything? Mine just has the youtube logo

TonyDedrick says:

I saw a random still of Sportscenter on mine yesterday.

cybermoose89 says:

Yeah mine flips dude seems to be a good app now i was using metro tube this is surprisingly better from what i can see

London Jr says:

my phone got really hot after playing a few vids, hope this fixes that

jfreiman says:

Maybe Google/YouTube is switching their severs in an attempt to 'break' Microsoft's app?
This wouldn't be the first time this cat and mouse tactic has been used by the tech community.

cybermoose89 says:

Finally its actually awesome took your blinkin time ms!

blasher4 says:

How do I check inbox??? Can't find that feature! :(

imeobong says:

They made more (probably al) comments viewable in a video. Before, you were limited to like 15 or so comments. It also now lets you see all channel videos because previously you were also limited. It has pretty much all the features metrotube has. I would say they are on par with each other with a slight edge to the official youtube because it renders videos faster and loads results faster. wow having tested the official app for 10 minutes now i can say that it is considerably faster from when i last used it.

DJCBS says:

Although I still prefer MetroTube, this is a nice official App (well, after the nightmare that was downloading it, of course). Good thing though, I'm using both as I have 2 youtube accounts.

jhoff80 says:

Now I just wish they'd pull the alternate YouTube apps just like they're going to do with Facebook apps.

Don't get me wrong, apps like Metrotube or Supertube are fine, but I'm talking about stuff that blatantly steals Youtube's logo and branding.  I mean, it's ridiculous that Microsoft's own app, the only official Youtube app.... is the third listing behind two web wrappers.  There's no reason that there should be 23 different programs that are all allowed in the store and all illegally have Youtube in their name.

And honestly, I don't even care about the legality of it.  I care about the poor experience it gives undiscerning customers who wouldn't know any better.  I couldn't give a Windows Phone (or Windows RT device either) to my parents without being concerned about the suspicious apps they'd install in what's supposedly a curated and more importantly SAFE store experience.  That is a huge problem.

rockstarzzz says:

+920 : availability of official app or not those clones gotta go. In a year this will turn into Google Play saga!

Lets start boosting up the rating for YouTube by making a new review. The 3 stars was for the old fake YouTube app

rubenbest says:

Public service announcement bud,...

MS needed that update. It was taking forever to load. Can't quite say that it ever did. I got tired of waiting the 5 times I tried.

captaincomps says:

Too many haters here. Kudos to youtube for finally pulling their finger out and releasing a major improvement. Fair platform to build on now.

jcrs1987 says:

Now you cant turn off the background task, i think in the 3.000 you couldnt, not sure...

Sean Burns1 says:

Good that it now works like a proper app rather than just going onto IE. But this new version the scrolling is not smooth

I'm really enjoying YouTube 's official app. It's fast, Metro enough, and stable. Good job douchebags Google.

neo158 says:

Except this app is by Microsoft, not Google which has been said millions of times already!!!

I'm a "jump to last" heavy user. Not to sound rude, but lately most comments aren't very interesting, and I include myself.

morpheus1982 says:

Wasn't this app made by MS a while back but Google blocked api access?

Sicarius123 says:

can anyone let me know if this app can send to XBox or PS3? or do you have-to use the mobile site for that still?

Ah'hemm...
Maybe should change our review ratings to 4-5 stars

Why when downloading this app I can no longer play YouTube videos from browser??

morpheus1982 says:

Really? I can. Press the video and it loads up like normal.

segadc says:

Wow will stop using app. Already hard reset recently thanks to other storage. Fix it Microsoft!

raananan says:

On thing that was fixed was the ability to search Hebrew text from the app.

WP 7.8 come whit the update to plezz :/

phize says:

I'll probably keep using MetroTube, it runs smoother IMO, and has more options, such as getting subscription updates on a live tile.

nemov888 says:

I've not updated YouTube on my WP8 device, and don't plan to. I want to be able to download youtube videos and I don't wants adverts. As I understand, the latest update removes teh ability to download, and future updates may include adverts. Does anyone know how I can turn off the update notification for Youtube? or is there another way of installing an old version of an app in case I accidently hit "update all" one day?

Fndlumia says: