Nokia announces Lumia 928 destined for Verizon, available May 16th

Lumia 928 Verizon

Colour us surprised, but not so. Nokia has announced the Lumia 928, which will be heading to Verizon and will be available May 16th. According to a post over on Nokia Conversations, we're looking at a new flagship Windows Phone from Nokia that confirms previous rumoured specifications. Pricing for the Lumia 928 will be $99.99 after a $50 main-in-rebate, when taken out with a two-year contract.

The Lumia 928 sports a 4.5-inch AMOLED display (PureMotion HD+), 8.7MP camera (PureView, Carl Zeiss, OIS and Xenon flash), 4G LTE connectivity, wireless charging, three HAAC microphones and a loud speaker. It's an improved Lumia 920. Check out a quick video with Ifi Majid, who heads up product marketing in North America, showing off the new Nokia Windows Phone:

As a limited time offer, those who purchase the Nokia Lumia 928 will get a $25 credit for Windows Phone apps and games.

Update: Nokia US added this video to introduce the Lumia 928 on Verizon, showing off unique features:

Source: Nokia Conversations

Comments

CeeGii says:

anyone else notice these 2 items on the official specsheet at NOKIA US

those are STRANGE bands for just being a Verizon Device:

LTE network bands: 4, 13
WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz

is there a TMO version coming soon?

Neo Nuke says:

in english please?

CeeGii says:

Dafuq is wrong with you son? you can't understand English?

squire777 says:

It seem confusing but I'm holding out hope that there will be a T-Mo AWS version

Has anyone done a spec to spec comparison? Looks like the only differences between 928 and 920 are the industrial design and the screen ?

NH3MAN says:

Even better low light camera especially with the new XENON Flash in addition to LED Flash light, Much better Speakers... I want this phone with a 4.8 screen... ;)

NH3MAN says:

Gorilla Glass 2, XMP photos too...

CeeGii says:

nope

the 928 might work on Tmo LTE and HSPA+

Eg0nz63 says:

If you want different colors, you can always get a case.

curly722 says:

This phone kinda sparkles like its not aluminum... does aluminum look like that?

PipoDj says:

You know, the white and black color is perfectly OK. until i saw this render of the Lumia 928 and i started drooling

darquehelmet says:

That is sexy as fuck, Damn you Verizon! Glossy Verizon red just makes sense doesn't it?

Zomby Jeezus says:

That's why I want color. I'm grateful the phone finally released. I guess I assumed they would launch with colors like the 920..what to do, what to do?

PipoDj says:

What if they would release a special Post-mother's day unit with the red color. Just like what they did with the 822 for the valentine. Oh well a man can wish.

texantony says:

Why the 16th? Should of released it this weekend and taken advantage of mother's day.

PolishHitta says:

I called it! I knew that once Verizon's "red hot deals" will expire 14th I'll be seeing this phone

1231231412 says:

1.3MP wide angle front camera, weight around 162g and 10.2mm thin + radio... Not Bad!

marantaz says:

Awesome. I watched the Nokia video. Awesome. I might get this for the wife and dump her crappy tbolt and maybe get my son to switch from his icrapphone at that price. He uses his iPod for music so no loss there. And I'll wait for the next big thing, if I can, cuz that looks awesome, even without the sd card. Wow.

willied says:

No microSD slot is a real bummer. Wish it had a smaller screen, too. I'll still probably end up getting it though.

lesd777 says:

Colors don't mean crap if you are using a case. If you run without a case, good luck.

pkvillager says:

I like that form factor much better than my 920.

Any word on off contract price?

Spedez says:

Cool! Announced unexpectedly soon.

Damn! 16th is my Birthday! But I'm living all the way across the other side of the globe - Malaysia.

Bummer! :'(

gbhhbg says:

Nearly as heavy as the 920.  Disappointing.

kimmie says:

Will this phone EVER be available in red?

WP95 says:

i would take this over my current phone the 8X but i was able to upgrade and i didnt want to wait at all. too bad nokia could of gotten alot more customers in the US if you just realeased the 920 on all the carriers.

astraith says:

You can always get a good case with different color. But that white one looks spadaz.

bilal soomro says:

It will get heated very fast.

Mooncow27 says:

Gimmie a 2 year contract in Canada and I will buy it.

Colored aluminum may take longer to create than black and white. How come the iPhone has only black and white? Nokia has the chops, they will release a colored aluminum phone soon. Great phone, lighter and more powerful camera and mics, like the look too, and my cyan 920 is no slouch.

What is that next to the headphone jack

cpandafeng says:

Micro USB port?

TAKE MY MONEY! Just wish there were more colors and was on AT&T.

I knew Nokia was gonna release a high end Lumia like this. This has an AMOLED display-something the L920(IPS) lacked (I miss my Infinite contrast ratio, perfect 180° viewing angle that my L900 has), and should be less taxing on the battery with dark colors and blacks.

DAMMMMMMM ITTTTT I WANT AN AMOLED HD + SCREEN ON MY 920

bhiranya says:

This is all great and awesome and what not guys, but I would like to revisit a gripe a few of us had a a little while ago, if I may. And this is regarding group messaging/texting, more specifically, the lack there-of.

There were some rumblings on the forums that there is a remedy on the way, slated to arrive in May. So is this still a feature we wil have to live without till this update? For those of us (i.e. me) who do not rely on social media and still pay for text messaging, group texting is a very helpful and convinient way of carrying a conversation.

So my conundrum is do i stick with my trophy which does everything the phone is supposed to adequately and wait it out or switch to this amazing phone we've all been waiting, nay, dieing for, and live without a feature that I and many like me rely on heavily and hobble an otherwise amazing smartphone experience.

bluemooberry says:

incredible phone.

trivor says:

One of the most interesting things to me is no change in the base specs.  And while I know Windows Phone 8 runs well on current hardware (dual core 1.5 Ghz CPU, 1 gig ram, 32 GB storage, 720P) do we know the same will be true on Windows Phone 9?  Where is a little future proofing with improved specs - 2 GB RAM, Quad Core, and 64 GB storage (HTC One equivalent).  Don't tell me no one uses 64 GB and therefore we don't need it.  I know people putting a 64 GB card into their 32 GB GS3.  Also,  there are still people that buy phones because they want a little future insurance with a higher specced device and also there are now games that can take up to 1 GB on a phone and with some HD movies that 32 GB can disappear pretty quickly.  And I guess we'll have to wait for Windows Phone blue to see 1080P phones because windows phone only supports 720P at this time.

Terence_27 says:

For those interested you can compare the
official specs of the Lumia 928 vs. the 920
over at the official Nokia site:

Another exclusivity agreement? Nokia never tires of failing I see. No wonder they're plastered all over the news about their investors wanting to lynch them.

Eric Ferro says:

Any idea when the preorders will start for this device. Verizon has nothing on thier site that this phone is even being offered on the 16th

Montpbm says:

I want that phone but I'm on T-Mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!

sepatown says:

Don't worry, T-Mobile should be getting something better soon.

terrokkinit says:

My birthday is coming up...anyone want to give me one? *bats eyes* LOL

Tyashima says:

I think this is little bit costly in this US Fiscall condition.

ZefVico says:

Nokia is in a really good period ! So much new smartphones for the brand, and good smartphones ! That's so good to see that Nokia is not dead ! This new phone confirms the new era of the company. The Lumia's phones are great and now the other brands like Samsung, Apple, HTC and others must be careful. In addition, Nokia is going to show that Windows OS is also a good choice. I'm really impatient to see the new iPhone 6 and iOS 7 to compare these phones !

jlzimmerman says:

The Verizon logo will be on the front  like an ugly birth defect........

I'm fine with basic black, but I can't understand why there is no SD card? My basic music collection takes about 16GB...and that's AFTER taking the worthless songs out! Add in the data for offline maps, translator and HD video, and that little bit of memory will run out quick. My 822's internal memory is more than half gone and that's just from apps!

BTW, what's the deal with Pandora not being able to run while recording video? And why aren't there any non-skid cases for the 822 available? Sheesh!

Pages