From the Forums

Do you really use the Windows Phone 8.1 Notification Center?

Joe Belfiore announces new updates, sheds some details on lock screen app

Tips

Quickly swipe away all your Windows Phone 8.1 notifications with one swipe

Get this now: Melodia gives you official sounds for those official apps in Windows Phone 8.1

How To

How to prevent others from seeing your Notification center when your phone is locked

Games

Xbox Game The Harvest returns from the wastelands to Windows Phone 8

Quick look at the new notification and action center in Windows Phone 8.1

Ex-Microsoft employee busted by the feds for leaking Windows 8 to press

Windows

Windows 8.1 Update 1 inadvertently leaked by Microsoft

Windows Phone 8.1 Action Center revealed in hands-on video

Deal Alert: T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 925 available for $289 at Newegg

HTC confirms 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1

Visualized – Windows Phone 8 versus 8.1

Windows Phone 8.1 gets Google Calendar back, may have Miracast, and uploads from the browser

Windows Phones

First screenshots of the Notification Center for Windows Phone 8.1 reveal new design

Windows

Yet another Windows 8.1 Update 1 build leaks on to the web – new surprises onboard

Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaks onto the web - confirms much of what we suspected

Windows

More Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaks appear - shows the ability to run Windows 8 apps on the legacy desktop

Windows Phones

Windows Phone 8.1's separate volume controls exposed in new screenshot

Windows 8.1 Update 1 screenshots leaked - shows the ability to pin Windows 8 apps to the legacy taskbar

Windows phone 8 leaked images

Leaked Windows Phone 8.x dev build screenshots reveal notification center and more

The first screenshots of what looks to be the next major build of Windows Phone 8.x have been revealed. We show you what's new.

A reddit thread posted just over 8 hours ago tells the story of a user who has purchased a Nokia Lumia 920 from eBay only to discover they are in possession of a device that seems to have once belonged to a Microsoft engineer.

Said user has posted several screenshots from the device which appear to show off a brand new calendar design, the ability to organise apps by frequency of use, and perhaps most interestingly: a notification center.

Whilst we can’t be 100% certain of this information, the quantity of screenshots that have been provided, as well as the presence of what appear to be internal apps still in development definitely lends some credibility to this rumour, in fact we're going to go ahead and give this a 7 on the rum-o-meter. Check below for a few of the screenshots and a list of the revealed features so far, or head over to flickr to see the originals yourself.

7: there's a good chance

New Features and changes

• Notification center
  • Ability to close apps from the multitasking window
  • Sort apps by most used
  • New calendar interface with a week view
  • Data sense available

Initial analysis suggests that this is all very early stages, and the keen eyed amongst you will notice that the notification center appears to be launched via a separate tile. Whilst what is shown here is certainly not the final production ready OS, we can expect that features to be very different and possibly integrated in completely new ways if they ever make the finished product.

data sense, sorting, calendar

test apps and sorting

This story is developing so keep checking back to see if any new information comes to light. What do you make of this information? Are you excited by notifications and more granular app control? Discuss in the comments below!

Update 9:30am ET: We'have had some more information come forward to us via a trusted source. They confirm that these shots were from an "earlier" build of the next-version of the OS, but that subsequent releases since have had the Notification center removed. In addition, before it disappeared, its look became more inline with the People Hub design. What does that mean in the long run? Just that Microsoft is experimenting with different feature sets and some may or may not make it to the final build. So take these screenshots as being accurate, but only as a snapshot within the development process.

Source: Reddit; Via the Verge

Comments

Hot Dawg says:

Not every girl squeals at pictures of cats with moustaches.

I prefer dogs. With moustaches.

Would’ve preferred the notifications show up in a “split view” (like Windows 8 split view, but vertical,) when the back button is held, so they show up either above or below the current running tasks, and can be small, or made large and the tasks running made small. Probably the most elegant and best way to do it.

iboypx says:

LOL

Chinese Lumia 920 Ships With New Firmware! Brings Notification Center, Daily Calendar View, Close Background Tasks and Much More

lubbalots says:

I'm not sure about all the "z" stuff and what it means.

J88NY R says:

Probably a way just to make the dev apps all appear at the bottom in one place.

Jay Bennett says:

Or by naming all the app's with a z it's easy to prove that frequency sorting is working? Remember this was an engineer's device we suspect

Sulslim says:

And Custom theme's color with custom background  +Radio,  +XBox music videos, new WP store design, IE 11 !!!!!

benrp says:

Ie11 is awesome news

Aleem Aslam says:

Don't like the notification centre on a tile.. Not sexy enough..

lippidp says:

Take a deep breath. Now, repeat after me: "Phones are not sexy. They are just phones."

NightWatch71 says:

Exactly. I hate when people call everything sexy. It sounds so stupid.

Codesmith says:

FYI, these shots, especially of the Notifications, are from early bits that were later abandonded. They are not part of the current build cycle.

Viipottaja says:

You would know this how? Not saying you don't. Just curious. :) So did any of these live on e.g, in a different design?

devize says:

Dw, codesmith just wants you to buy his notification centre app

kopte3 says:

I hope that means they've abandoned the idea of the Notification center as an app/tile. It has to be one swipe away.

Viipottaja says:

a tile doesn't mean it couldn't be accessible any other way.

kopte3 says:

Well if the NC is going to be accessible through swipe from the top a tile or an app would be redundant.

Viipottaja says:

Correct. However, it, for example, is very unlikely that the notification center would be a swipe from the top as that gesture is already used for battery, signal etc. bar, unless they combine the two of course.
My point was more generic. :)

elangab says:

The screenshots looks fake as hell

Azurus says:

What's up with all the apps that start with a z ??

mjrtoo says:

Pretty sure the all the z is for is to force the apps to the bottom of the list, nothing more.

lin0x says:

i was thinking the same..zstore,zpower,zbattery..   .___.

Jf.Vigor says:

My top two types of leaks are.
1) news/pics/leaks of future windows phone builds
2) news/pics/leaks of future windows phone hardware

Needless today, been a very exciting past few days!

jubbbird says:

I reckon fake. These images don't look good at all. The features are most welcome, but the cross, the home screen calendar tile and a few other things look far too rough even for a dev app.
I reckon someone's just made some screenies of all the things we want to see, and have done a fairly bad job of it.

Also, buying a dev phone on ebay? A likely story...

mrcraggle says:

I'm thinking this may be some unlocked dev phone or something with a custom rom. I had a custom Lumia 800 rom on my Omnia 7 that had a bunch of zApps.

paulxxwall says:

Better news than yesterdays Xbox one debacle!!!!!

Yesterday? what new information did they release yesterday?

Tiago Lopes says:

I call fake. Selling a dev phone on ebay? Really? We all fall from the tree yesterday?

More likely then an iphone being 'left' in a bar.

Tiago Lopes says:

No, less likely. Less. Much less. Unless you live on another planet

I think something was lost in translation. I said "left" because it of course wasn't left in the bar by mistake. Just like this phone wasn't sold by mistake, it is probably a planned leak if true.

cannon#WP says:

I got a dev phone off of eBay once (LG Panther). It happens more than you think.

NIST says:

I really don't have a need for a notification center though I know many have been asking for it. What I find troubling is that this "early build" is nowhere as elegant as any concept that I've seen. I hope the final looks better than this. Plus the Me tile already has a Notifications area, why not just amend that, instead of a whole new tile?

Danielrego says:

I think that's chronos calendar

gevabar says:

Needs better design looks like crap

Nimdock says:

This is obviously a fake. After all we have had the douchy guy from LD telling us in all the news posts about that company how we don't know anything and how it is 100% guaranteed that a Notification Center is not coming. Therefore this cannot be true.

Well that douchy guy must be a complete nutter then as Joe Belfiore has even said that they wanted a notification center in WP8, just ran out of time to implement it before launch.

Mystictrust says:

I don't think it was Joe Belfiore, but it was by some MS WP guy giving a Q&A to a roomful of devs after his presentation.

Yah, I think you are right. It was Thomas Fennel who said it at BUILD, and that it was very important to him. Was pretty sure though that Joe Belfiore tweeted something about it too, and that they were listening to everyone's feedback

01mggt says:

I would love to believe it all bit I would think a screen shot of the firmware version and info from settings menu would have been included

Did you noticed the Screen resolution on that NOKIA device? its 1280 x 720 .. same as my 8x ..
a new device is coming ?

lowrider2107 says:

A calendar week view and a notification center? I cannot believe it! Now add shortcuts for system settings and I'll be more than happy...

Re: notification center being in a tile -- probably set up that way purely for testing purposes. If the screenshots are authentic, this 920 was just a testing bed for functionality, not final UI testing.

jubbbird says:

Something worth considering is that for fundamental features like this, step one isn't to knock up a beta app to approximate intended functionality to see if it works. These features are so basic the focus must surely start with design. The designers will spend time presenting the information in a useful/attractive way, and once signed off a dev will start bringing it to life.
So at no point during the process will crap like this appear on anybody's dev phone. My opinion, of course. Giving the benefit of the doubt to Microsoft where I can.

cannon#WP says:

Your view of the dev process is off. There is a reason that branching exist. It's entirely possible that while designers toil away, the devs have already created the functionality and put it into a build. With a giant team like this it's not recommended that devs sit on their hands until designers are done. If you want to hit a landmark and do it in a speedy fashion, everyone is working at once. So it's entirely possible that, until the designers are done, the dev team builds the notification center as a tile for testing as the quickest way to test live on the phone.

jubbbird says:

Good point, well made. I concede that you may well be correct. I suppose what I'm really thinking is that the designers would likely have been well done with these fundamental bits quite some time ago, so in this specific case I expect the design is already there and still wouldn't appear in this form.

Mikey Ngo says:

Is this available for the 8X?

androidtoWM says:

not sure if its a troll post or not but yes this is an OS update which means all WP8 phones including 8x will get it.

Blocks9 says:

Will this be in GDR2 or 3??

WhippedKream says:

You know GDR2 is soon right? I highly doubt it's then. Either 3 or WP8.1

Having a notification like ios and android where you only swipe down to go to the notification center would be great. And having to close apps on multitasking too!

cybermoose89 says:

They should have it sliding to the left make it different!

WhippedKream says:

Exactly... iOS stole from Android, more or less, and now it's time for windows to be different

Aleksi says:

It's either fake or somekind of work in progress thingie.

DavidinCT says:

Cool but, What is the FREAKING chance you could buy a used phone and get the newest Version of the OS, newer than anyone else ?  Almost 0 !

All I say, send the phone to one of these experts over the XDA to see if they can extract a rom from it so we can all have a copy of it on our phones : )

wptom says:

May I remind you that "our" WP8 phone are all VERY TIGHTLY locked and no one so far was able to upload a custom ROM to one of it?

mr toes says:

Im getting tired of the glacial speed ms is updating windows phone at, these are all overdue and should be better implemented, they'd better hurry up or I'll jump ship.

Residing says:

Lol!  Microsoft is shaking in their boots because of your threat...

mr toes says:

However empty my threats seem, if you took off your rose tinted glasses you would see that the platform hasn't changed all that much from mango besides increased hardware specs

davidtayo says:

we will try to miss you

raul_junior says:

at least your not a samsung gs3 customer who hasn't gotten a single update since december!

bookworm438 says:

What? Once a year seems normal for a major update... Let's see, we are getting 3 minor updates this year that includes new features as well. Plus we get bug fixes. And then at least once a year, we get a major update. I'd say for the most part, that's not glacial speed. Consider my android, which got 2 updates in its entire life.

Manny C says:

Or he could consider my Android, which received a whopping ZERO updates in it's 1 year life cycle before it died.

iamakii says:

Omg! Thbskvsjjsvjabalangsnbksh! Ive been waiting for this since the start. *cries

Forc3 says:

VERY VERY EARLY Stages the design team did not even had their hands on this. So very likely BLUE....

JimmyRespawn says:

Better late than never.

mayniak says:

Seems pretty cool

Sicarius123 says:

That calander is awful, but the rest is fantastic.

Jazmac says:

"Sadie Hawkins" in full effect. Rumor and still no definitive word on a notification center. And so we wait and our devices age on.

cybermoose89 says:

If they have it were you slide left to see notifications that would be so fucking kick ass!!!!!

Spedez says:

Just add the separate volume control for ringtone and media. I appreciate the multitasking enhancement tho.

Sad to not see a search button in that calendar. My BlackBerry had this years ago. Give us real outlook functionality MS.

Mystictrust says:

That is a 3rd party calendar, not Microsoft's

Nejcooo says:

closing apps from multitasking menu? hell yeah!

alijahg34 says:

Who needs a notification center when we have a start screen and live tiles, kind of redundant really. Just need to be like ever one else I guess just to say I can too.....

luimende says:

You can't have live tile for every app. But you can have toast for all apps (I think I wouldn't know since there is no central way to get notified) if only we had a notification center so that we can get notified of toast notifications. Notification center.

NIST says:

You get a lot of toast notifications?

jubbbird says:

I've played Age of Sorcery, a prime example of a game/app that produces periodic notifications, all of which are giving different information and all of which are necessary to see at some stag, if not the time at which they happen.

Live Tiles are great, I agree, but people are being consistently short-sighted about not needing a notification centre. Toast notifications are not the same as the information you get on live tiles. Quite a different concept, and not being able to rewind and see past notifications is an undeniable flaw in the current system.

But it is fair to suggest that not everybody will need it.

glassadam says:

Sorry dude, but I don't want to pin every app I have to the homes tern, and then have to scroll endlessly every time just to see if anything new has happened.

_Emi_ says:

if you dont like to pin apps to start screen and you dont like the "live tile" concept, why did you even get WP in first palce? you could just get android and be happy with a notification center....
people like you are amusing though.

jubbbird says:

You're flatly wrong, and unfairly offensive. Try to be more mature.

iamakii says:

Apps need to be pinned for live tiles. If you dont pin, you get nothing. Some apps have toast notification, but a hit or miss. Once gone, you cant retrieve again. How come notification center will be useless if it addresses these two issues? Please I dont want to pin all my apps and scroll and stare endlessly in my phone for toasts. K.

NIST says:

If you don't see your toast notifications now, how do you know you've missed any? Or are you trying to find a solution to a problem you don't have?

They may have heard the notification sound but not got to the phone in time? Or it glitches out removing the notification as I switch the screen on? Both have happened to me. I want a notification centre but it isn't make or break for me.

jubbbird says:

Agreed. A clear flaw, but not critical.

Almost reminds me of a notification center jaxbot released for unlocked wp7 phones.

rockstarzzz says:

Rum-o-meter is back, good times!

A pinned tile notification centre makes sense, it's always accessible from the task manager (as long as you don't close it) and from every app. Swiping left from the home screen would mean leaving the current app you are in, then heading to the home screen & then swiping left.

Jaco Ra says:

That's not a hassle, the tile would be. Swiping right would have no load time

lancguy says:

Load time? What load time? Most of my ApS open pretty fast

glassadam says:

No it wouldn't. Swipe left from the bezel would bring it up no matter where you're at, like gestures in webOS or charms bar in w8.

_Emi_ says:

ehmm and how Swiping right would work in apps... please, it wouldnt!

there is a difference between win8 and WP, screen size, resolution, landscape vs portrait mode. Im the ones that wouldnt want to use a notication center because there is no point for me. why would i want to see it if I accidentaly swipe to right while navigating on an app?? yeah great idea /s

RedSamurai says:

If you actually spent more time using WP than spoutting nonsense, maybe you would start to understand the benifits of something similar to 'notification center'.
pfff...

Murani Lewis says:

True story. Until today I don't think i've thought about needing a notification center in the past 3 months at least. In fact the only time I do its because someone else brings it up.

pattayo_ib says:

Swipe right to the notification centre does sounds really great! :)

Rick Smits says:

I hope its true

mikroland says:

What version is this?

bookworm438 says:

Apparently a very early version of the next version of the OS.

nanoware says:

Its dated may, so its not that old

tony1213 says:

Swipe notification is the best. And maybe they could make where you can turn it off if u want to

paulheu says:

This is fake for so many obvious reasons it's not even funny.

Cellus13 says:

So what about the "other" storage bug? When will that ever be fixed.

MrVol84 says:

This guy needs to take a screenshot of the OS build.

Jeff Bunn says:

I think if there were a notification center, it should be placed on the lock screen. Where the glyphs are. Allowing the user to press these glyphs and see the missed notifications.

glassadam says:

A notification center where you have to return to the home screen and tap an app is borderline useless.

Apply_Logic says:

I swear these morons at Microsoft really think they have it all figured out. Who the f..... Want a S.....ting live tile notification. 90 % percent of push notifications on WP don't work. WP feels like a beta piece of shit I'm totally jumping ship if they don't get there S... Right seriously a F... Tile??

WP7WasMyIdea says:

Apply Logic? Or.. Apple Logic? Hmm.

Apply_Logic says:

So if you criticize Microsoft you're an apple fan? Its people like you that's causing the company to release unfinished shit product like WP7 & WP8 because you're a fanboy. You serve absolutely no purpose to the enhancement of the platform you dumb F....

WP7WasMyIdea says:

HAHA!!  You dummy.  You think I have enough power to "cause the company to release an unfinished product"?  You're a clever one...who clearly uses apple logic.

bookworm438 says:

What? Push notifications work fine for me. It's up to the developers to implement the push notification, like it has always been for any OS.

lonbraj says:

No. They do not. Whatsapp, Skype, Kik Messenger, Viber and Facebook (beta or not) apps never had reliably push notifications. Sometimes it takes hours for the toast arrive and I can confirm this because if you enter the app the event that triggers the notification is visible, sometimes you have already see it and only minutes late you receive the toast. I don't know whose fault is this but don't act like it works contently.

Joel H18 says:

Instead of swiping from the top, which could be a hassle with bigger phones, we should be able to access the notification center with a swipe from left to right. Then, there could be settings to take up just half the screen for quick looks or the full screen for a closer look. But regardless of whether it is half screen or full screen one swipe back from right to left should take you back to where you were. And of course I mean swiping the ends of the phone not just random swipes in the middle. This is just a suggestion of course

WP7WasMyIdea says:

"Keen if true. If not true..then not Keen" - Confucius

stephen_az says:

Actually the person bought the device from the tooth fairy who had won it in a bet with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Even the crackberry cult members aren't this gullible. Fake, fraud, joke - call it whatever you like as long as you don't say real. I can't believe anyone would take this seriously.

dkp23 says:

Who getting fired?

Manafest says:

totally agree, this looks horrible

Tenorek says:

No no no, its all wrong! Notifications need to be accessible from anywhere in the OS, any app, any media. Why don't the incorporate it into the app switcher screen? Hold back anywhere and have access to notifications, maybe swipe left? There is so much wasted space in there. I also think you should view 4 apps at a time. Would make app switching so much more efficient. I really believe the app switcher could be a good feature catch all.

MikeSo says:

Completely agree. It seems like the most obvious place to put it. And I hope nobody chimes in again with "but that's not intuitive", because there's nothing intuitive with holding down the Windows button to switch apps either.

Tenorek says:

And honestly, you could make it very simple, by holding down back, and immediately swiping form the bottom to enter notifications once the app switcher is up. It is very smooth and intuitive I feel like.

tcadbury says:

The app list screen now has feature parity with Win 8.1. I wish the calendar was improved though.

marcomura says:

Why is it so hard to implement a sms exporting to a txt/csv/xml/anything-parsable file ???
This is something it has been asked since wp 7.0 !

I am all in for metro but not digging the design. Hoping they change it to a much more beautiful list.

GuitarGuyJon says:

A tile for notifications sounds like a bad idea. I dont want to have to go to my start screen to get notfications. Maybe have a tile as an optional thing but I want to be able to get to my notification center from whatever im doing. But closing apps sounds awesome. I just hope you dont have to go back to get to the app again. I hope it comes straight up everytime I touch the tile. Good for stuff like Facebook, Twitter, maybe a game you play alot or something like that.

rubenbest says:

If you have the espn apps or cnn app you know why we need notification center

Blocks9 says:

Hear hear!!

cannon#WP says:

Thank you. I don't know why people don't understand this.

bookworm438 says:

I don't know. I think the notification center as a tile is perfectly fine. When you're using it, push notifications work just fine. When you first unlock the phone, you are at the start screen anyways so you can just press the notification tiles to see what you've missed.

nanoware says:

I still say the dam toasts should fu****Ing scroll when they pop up. CNN toasts are impossible to understand sometimes unless you open the app to see the complete sentence.

wetworker says:

Nice. Although I would prefer to swipe down to close an app just like in windows 8. Notifications should be a swipe down from the top. Sometime it's better to use ideas that's been tried and tested. It works on iOS and Android.

fwaits says:

Relax people, if nothing else this an early build/design and things will likely be somewhat different on release. (Blue is my guess)

Apply_Logic says:

I am angry at Microsoft and all the WP fanboy. I just wanna B-SLAP some common sense into them

bookworm438 says:

Why? Because a VERY EARLY developer build was leaked that in no way reflects the final release? You do realize that functionality comes before form in the beginning, right?

sumton says:

No just No for notification access method and design

fwaits says:

Also notice the Nokia Drive+ Beta BLUE in the apps list?

fwaits says:

zCortanaapp? Siri for WP, Halo voice style? haha

jfivieght says:

Mehhhh, not impressed...

windev says:

Please! No notifications on a tile!

Graven Pshya says:

That would be cool if you could close with an 'X' and like Windows 8 swipe down

Ikhwan Hanip says:

How about the notification center always display whenever u hold the back button alongside with active apps?

or notification center when you double tap windows home button logo wherever you are...

Ronnet says:

Notifications should be on the left side of the startscreen (and above the startscreen in Windows 8.1, since it alters the UI with 90 degrees).

DanaOira says:

I love how development phase products turn out and how the production versions progress from what concept ideas and prototypes once were. As a developer, it's nice to get a glimpse of what other companies are creating, testing, re-drafting and developing over again. We kind of get caught up in our own work that seeing other developers going through the same motions make you feel like you're not the only one going thru the endless cycle of development. Can't wait to see what Microsoft has in store for us!

cannon#WP says:

I hear ya. That's a good point. I do get so wrapped up in my project that it always seems like others release code with no problems at all.

RedSamurai says:

Features are more than welcome.
And while I'm sure this is far from final, I really believe Metro (yes, I still call it that) is in a dire need of graphical enhancement if it is to become a serious competitor on the market.
Nothing amateurish a-la web 2.0, but definitely SUBTLE shadows and gradients would be welcome as well as sleek smooth animations and transitions...
This is what WP has always been for me: simple, useful and beautiful.

nimatra says:

Super ugly design

RedSamurai says:

It's most likely an early work in progress (if not fake). But yeah... it is somewhat hideous :)

walter1832 says:

I like turtles!

Nakazul says:

I like Ninjas!

NIST says:

I like your mom

walter1832 says:

My dad likes you!

hutuka says:

Yeah I thought swipe to the left is the defacto design for the notification center by now :/

Flavio76 says:

At least my left side is empty... At right are my apps....so it could stay at left And have a live titles

vdubskey says:

The homebrew notification centers are laid out better than this. Hoping this is fake or a very very early screen shot.

bookworm438 says:

Well considering we don't even have a release date for the next OS version (other than either late this year, or early next year), it kind of has to be a very early version.

marantaz says:

Imagine a notification center that contains app notifications for any app that you DO NOT have pinned as a live tile. Possible? I don't do social media so I don't have a need for a notification tile/center, but I can see where that would be useful.

ricardios says:

Week view calendar and closing apps with the X. That's what I'm excited about.

murtagh360 says:

The date of the OS is 12/10/12 so I would imagine this is an early build.

cannon#WP says:

Halo, a notification center, fm radio, other storage fix and a carrier independent data sense would be 5 very compelling reasons for me to move up from 7.8 to 8. Actually, a notification center would make it a must buy for me. Pair that with a 4.7 or 5.0 HTC or Samsung device and I'm throwing my money at them.

But I also understand that MS has a history of putting killer features in dev roms and removing them from gold roms (rotation lock was in 7003 on my old LG Panther and removed from 7004 when it was released) so I'm not holding my breath.

In relates news, a former Microsoft employee is looking for a new position somewhere else.

Nakazul says:

I hope they go with the 3 screen concept. Left notifications, middle is start screen, and then right is the app list.

boxa72 says:

If it does turn out to be true its gonna be hectic n I guess there will be alot more goodness

Ticomfreak says:

Damnit!!!! I don't want an X button in the multitasking screen! Use a flick down gesture from the multitasking screen!!!

Also I don't want a notification center that swipes down from the system tray like iOS and Android :/

link68759 says:

Glad to see notifications are a tile and not some stupid baked in "swipe left on start screen". Stay with the live tile vision, don't cave in to the demands of every android / IOS user who switched and wants EXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE BACK. You bought into this OS, you bought into this concept. Sell your phone if you don't like it.

A notification center essentially undermines and replaces live tiles, and will likely make the phone a clustered redundant mess. THE BEST notification center solution FOR WP would be an optional tile that only display notifications from apps that aren't already pinned to start.

That's all it needs to do- keep track of missed notifications from apps that you don't have pinned. Fill in one hole in the WP system.

Because apps you do have pinned are almost always going to have a life tile notification, and having it show up in two places would be dumb. Why even bother with the tile then? Without tiles... Why bother with WP? And if they did it like android/ios, it would be a static shitty checklist you have to manually manage yourself. The app tile would update, but you'll have to go clear the notification center thing manually... What a nightmare.

vvelez5 says:

I would love a notification center. I think it would be great if we could swipe from the left and have a notification center there as well as shortcuts to toggle WiFi, bt, airplane mode and other features on and off. Oh and custom notification tones please.

iyae says:

Swiping from the left is stupid. What about apps that already contain actions for that? (like wpcentral!). Are you saying you think clicking "home", then swiping from left, then clicking back to carry on what you were doing is a better idea than just swiping down??? All you guys are dreaming. WP8 Already had a swipe down feature that works great to bring up WiFi, battery and cellular info...just extend that to also bring up notifications. Easy.

Swiping from top is not that convenient anymore I think, especially with the current and the upcoming phones which will feature larger screens and you will need to stretch your thumb to the top to bring notifications ( having this problem when I use any android flagship)
So wiping from right or left .. Or even from bottom will be much better. And I don't like the notification tile at all

You can't use your other fingers while holding the phone in one hand?

And BTW ...
is it just me? Or the notifications center in there images looks too cheep and not well built..??
Even a 3rd party app ( UNIFICATION ) looks better than this one from Ms.

bookworm438 says:

Um, this is a very early build. I highly doubt they are focusing on beauty right now. I'm betting they just want to get it working first.

MikeSo says:

That calendar overview is fantastic. Brilliant use of the space - monthly, weekly and daily in one single, modern UI screen.

Dk92 says:

We obviously need a notification center with a simple down swipe from the top. If you're oblivious to this because you like to keep every single app on the main page, then simply don't use it. Saying "well maybe swiping from the left would be cooler because it's being different from ios and android" is silly. 1. That would conflict with apps that are currently launched. 2. Why scrap something that works so efficiently just because ios and android already have it? They both have it because it works! I'm not saying copy the complete concept of ios' or android's ofcourse (for obvious legal reasons), Microsoft can add their own metro feel to it and what-not. And still no mention about orientation lock....*sigh* maybe it's already on wp8.1 and just hasn't been confirmed yet.

RedSamurai says:

Neither using the top edge or left edge would conflict with the current app. It's been tried and tested to death in Windows 8...

Montpbm says:

Agreed 100%

Ticomfreak says:

Nope. The notification system on iOS and Android is incredibly inefficient, being opened by accident constantly and is no where near the efficiency of BlackBerry's or WebOS's notification systems.

Montpbm says:

I'll take the BB and Web OS notification center but it don't need to be an app, plus Android and IOS works well; u must not be doing something right.

iyae says:

You mean how swiping from the top on windows phone 8 always brings up the battery and WiFi notifications "accidentally"? Oh wait. That doesn't happen. It could easily be used to bring up notifications instead.

Ticomfreak says:

I mean in mobile games, where the system tray is usually hidden, but the notification shade is still pulled down. In iOS and Android, the notification shade is frequently pulled down accidentally, even when the system tray up top is not there (the shade is still active, even when the system tray is hidden.) Besides, we are moving into an era of phones where the screen size is so large that we can't hit the top of it in one handed use, making it difficult to use the notification shade. I think Blackberry 10 really did it right.

eduardopl says:

Notification live tile make sense. Imagine the large tile with all the notifications and you can read them without enter into the app...

diplomat696 says:

Live tile is too small for this purpose imho.

Sarang68 says:

How about long press the windows button & then say open notification?

RedSamurai says:

Some people (like myself) are not very keen about speech for everyday use. Don't mind having this as a secondary way though...

rubenbest says:

This cept just hold it.. And move the search to holding the search button

Kenny G Jr says:

Looks nice, but whatever the do, I hope it gets applied to the 7.x versions too.

theefman says:

You're kidding, right?

Ticomfreak says:

Nope. Updates are still planned for 7.x

Aryan Angel says:

लैम्ब औफ गौड। ;)

rakeshrai says:

किस के मामा का गान?

Aryan Angel says:

That doesn't make sense, dude. Lamb of god is an American band if that's what you're asking...

edoug says:

I'm happy to see NFC potential for CC instead of trusting the carrier will eventually do ANYTHING with this

C'mon Xbox video support...

turisz says:

My prayers were heard

jlynnm350z says:

How lucky is the dude who bought the phone. Surprised the engineer was allowed to sell it.

Jay Bennett says:

If i were to guess I'd say it wasn't the engineer that sold it...

Binson#WP says:

I Like the idea of Notification Centre as a double wide tile because it is just one touch away from anything you are doing.  You press the start button, it takes you to the homescreen where you see the tile, you press back and you're back to what you were doing :).

No need for all this swiping in that's being suggested.

I thought the live tiles were a firm of notifying you that something had changed.

Pages