Some old Xbox games get a 2nd Life

Xbox gamers can now put Microsoft Jigsaw together on Windows 8

Games

My Little Pony brings love and friendship to the realms of Windows and Windows Phone

Have fun learning the alphabet with Elmo Loves ABCs for Windows 8 and RT

Lost Echo, a 3D action adventure game jumps from iOS to Windows Phone Store

The Official Dailymotion Windows Phone app is redesigned with the latest update

This $300 case will let the Nokia Lumia 1020 go to the bottom of the sea

Dream of Pixels unleashes beautiful puzzles on Windows Phone

Games

Duckie Deck Sandwich Chef is a fun and creative Windows Phone game for preschool kids

PGA Tour redesign is cleaner, faster, and better

Ice Rage: Hockey, a smashing Windows Phone game full of body checks

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Disney releases two new Windows Phone 8 games, Lost Light and JellyCar 3

As expected, Disney Solitaire comes to Windows Phone 8

JoyBits brings Doodle Creatures and Around the World to Windows Phone 8

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Minesweeper updated for the 21st century in Microsoft Treasure Hunt, coming soon to your Surface

Games

Blazin' Aces arrives in the Windows Phone Store, let the dogfights begin!

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Tentacles: Enter the Mind coming to Windows 8 this summer

Kochadaiiyaan The Legend Reign of Arrows lands in the Windows Phone Store

Cloud Raiders unleashes Player vs. Player clashes on Windows Phone 8

Fairway Solitaire finally arrives on Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8

Fairway Solitaire

Last year, Windows Phone Central brought you an exclusive interview about a Windows Phone 8 title called Fairway Solitaire from Big Fish Games (and ported by Babaroga). Fairway is actually one of the games that Microsoft used during their Windows Phone 8 reveal event to exemplify how quick and easy porting from iOS to Windows Phone 8 can be. Funny thing is: Fairway Solitaire was slated to be a launch window game for the new mobile OS, but it has actually taken far longer than to port.

As a matter of fact, Big Fish Games has just published Fairway Solitaire for both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 in celebration of E3 2013. The bad news is they published it as an indie title instead of an Xbox game as originally planned. But on the happy side, Fairway plays great and we’ve got an exclusive video in which Big Fish’s Patrick Wylie walks us through the game’s features. Check it out after the break!

One part golf, one part solitaire

A lot of people love the card game solitaire, but many others like yours truly find it dreadfully boring. Big Fish knows this, and so they’ve wisely chosen to spice solitaire up by combining it with the game of golf. Every level in Fairway Solitaire represents a golf hole, and the number of cards remaining on the hole when the last draw card gets flipped represents shots over par. Clear every card from the green and you’ll earn a perfect score.

On top of that, various cards on the playing field represent sand traps and other golfing situations. Clear them away or clear a high number of cards in a row to score bonuses. You’ll even get to play a putting minigame. Players can earn clubs or purchase them from the in-game store. Irons have numbers on them and basically allow you to keep a streak going without taking a card from the draw pile.

Completing holes rewards players with golf bucks which can be spent in the store. In the store, you’ll find items that grant permanent bonuses like slowing down the various minigames to make them easier, multiple types of hints, or removing rough cards from the field. Players can opt to buy golf bucks with real money, and some shop items only cost real money. But In App Purchases (IAPs) are never required to enjoy the game.

Rodent trouble

Fairway Solitaire for Windows Phone 8

Fairway Solitaire has a fun little storyline involving a gopher who hates golfers – kinda like that movie Caddyshack that I never saw. The story comes to life through a cartoon introduction and intermissions, one of which you can view within our hands-on video. The gopher bits help provide that all-important personality that other solitaire games usually lack. Additionally, announcers provide full voice commentary during gameplay to lend the golfing aspect more authenticity.

Hop on the fairway

Fairway Solitaire for Windows Phone 8

Fairway Solitaire is a free download on both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, but the initial download actually just functions as a demo. To play the full game, you’ll need to make an IAP from the title screen for $1.99. Considering the wealth of content Fairway contains, that’s not a bad price at all.

• Fairway Solitaire – Windows Phone 8 – 225 MB – Store Link
  • Fairway Solitaire – Windows 8 – 231 MB – Store Link

QR: Fairway Solitaire WP8

Comments

Fndlumia says:

Paul you must see caddyshack!!! Bill Murray is a legend an American icon

Paul Acevedo says:

I do love me some Bill Murray. There's probably still time to see it before I keel over.

jlp34876 says:

I want temple run 2, temple run oz, subway surfer, real racing 3, 2Fuse!!!

Ticomfreak says:

Go beg the developers of those games ;)

Microsoft can't do a lot about it.

jlp34876 says:

Im twitting/facebooking/emailing them every week or so! hehe
I hope everyone is doing the same thing :D

There are 2 versions of Temple Run already, plus other runns like both Gravity Guy games, Rayman, and Jetpack Joyride, among the others. I'd rather see some variety, because I can only run and dodge for so long before I want to shoot myself.

uselessrobot says:

I couldn't care less about the big name AAA games. We don't need the WP store loaded up with a bunch of generic gaming. What I want to see is all the high quality indie gaming so plentiful on iOS.

Paul Acevedo says:

Just because it cost a lot to make or is popular doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Obviously indie gaming is wonderful and needs lots of support, but I disagree with holding a bias against AAA games.

jlynnm350z says:

Finally?? Never hoid of it

No Xbox achievements = deal breaker for me.

rcasey says:

Why? Can you not just enjoy a game for being a game?

Mooncow27 says:

I'm with Mike. Its something I can't put my finger on it, but I don't play non-Xbox mobile games.

Sure I can. But not a Solitaire game. Achievements were the added incentive that would push me over the edge to purchasing a solitaire game for the 20th time.

rocking23nf says:

im with you mike, i only buy games with achievements that link to my xbox profile

erasure25 says:

Buy ur Xbox one day one edition to get ur achievement fix!!

pressstart says:

I've personally have gotten sick of achievements. I feel that games being part of Xbox Live makes it worse because of the lack of updates.

I'll have to pass on this one. It sounds cool, but $1.99 after they changed their minds on the Xbox LIVE integration, I'll keep my money until Spartan Ops arrives. If this goes on-sale for $0.99 or gets the Achievements added, I might change my mind.

rcasey says:

Oh thanks for letting us know. Two bucks is a lot of money after all.

SayMehName says:

I hate when people say this, why throw away money if your not going to use the app consistently? Personally I'm not going to buy this doesn't have Xbox integration, I feel that if its gonna cost money it might as well have some basic features.

That's my point exactly. I'd rather pay $7 for Spartan Assault and play it for 50 hours or pay the $3 I did for NBA Jam, which I'll put 30+ hours in getting the Achievements, when the alternative is putting $2 into this game, which I'd probably enjoy for 10 hours then delete.

rcasey says:

10 hours of gameplay for $2 - where do I sign up!? You know, I just spent $3 on a coffee which lasted all of 20 minutes. It's apples and oranges I know but looking at it this way I find it incredibly easy to justify app purchases.

Yeah, people such as you say the dumb, tired argument of "it's not a lot of money." If I listened to that ridiculous argument, I'd have spent probably $100+ on a plethora of average-quality apps with limited long-term usability by now. You can say "Two bucks is a lot," sarcastically all you want, but when that's the argument used for EVERY purchase, it becomes I might as well by EVERY $2 app on the marketplace because $2 isn't a lot of money, and then the total becomes a lot of money.

Your argument is silly and holds no water.

dalydose says:

Well, it's a valid point it someone LIKES the game, but $2 is holding them back or if it's the difference betwen $1 and $2 being reasonable and rediculous.  Granted I try to keep my app purchases to an average of $5/month so that it doesn't go overboard.  I don't think $100 is a lot of money over time to spend on apps.  These guys need to eat too. To each their own, I guess.

Gatlyn says:

If the full version is unlocked by in app purchase, does that mean I'll have to rebuy it on my next phone?

Damn good question. I would guess you have to purchase again. Sounds like an action item for Paul! :)

dalydose says:

Does anyone know the answer to this???

Shantek says:

I would think your in app purchase would be associated with your live id, I would hope anyway. I'll try it later to confirm

Nik Rolls says:

I remember reading in the developer docs that there are two types of IAP: durable and consumable. They are both logged permanently against your Live ID, but the developer can 'expire' consumables once they've been used.

pressstart says:

Thanks! I've always wondered about this. Question is, how do we as users determine whether the dev made it durable or consumable? Never know if they do it by accident or try to scam people :/

Nik Rolls says:

This is part of the QA process. If it doesn't behave the way it makes out, then it doesn't get approved. Considering that the purchase screen is 100% Microsoft-managed, they want to make sure it remains a trustworthy system.

rodneyej says:

Is this on iOS, and Android?

cannon#WP says:

Yes. It's been on iOS for about a year now.

wayne310 says:

little off topic but can anyone suggest a good golf game for WP8?

TechAbstract says:

Tiger woods and lets golf 2?

cyber_k9 says:

I'm enjoying the game, but my Lumia 920 gets really hot after just a short time playing - anyone else have this issue?  It seems odd, as it doesn't seem like the game would be that taxing...(?).

Shantek says:

My 920 does that all the time with most games I play for longer periods. Pretty common for the phone..

cyber_k9 says:

I understand that for longer gameplay periods (eg. Rayman, Bejeweled, etc.), but Fairway Solitaire makes my phone very hot in minutes.  (So does Temple Run, for that matter).  I suspect it's going through the battery quite quickly for some reason.

Paul Acevedo says:

Definitely a common issue when playing games on the 920. Doesn't always seem to correlate with graphical intensity. 920s get warm while gaming and we pretty much have to live with it.

cyber_k9 says:

I suppose - and it may not always be the developers at fault, of course - but it is annoying. The Lumia 920's a great phone, but that top-right corner in particular gets warm so quickly... it's about the only thing I dislike about it. :(

TechAbstract says:

The game eats battery very fast

dKp1977 says:

Good game, purchased it for my Surface Pro. I'd like to know though if you can pickup a game on WP which you started on Windows 8. If so, I might purchase the WP version too.

No xbox was where i stopped reading...i just dont have the time.

srkirby says:

I love love love this game! I paid for it in iOS and missed it sorely on WP.

Jazmac says:

Here, take my money.  I MUST own this game.  I recently found many WP games with music sound amazing not to mention enhances game play with headphones or earphones on. I bet this one sounds great too.  Props on the video review.

WreckITRalph says:

Great game. So addictive and FUN!

mdscj4 says:

Best mobile game I have ever played hands down.