Three frightening games coming to Xbox One, starting with Dead Rising 3

Dead Rising 3 E3 display

E3 2013 kept us all very busy last week, and this week we still have a few more games to discuss with you. The Xbox One lineup looks like it will cater to fans of a variety of genres – not just first-person shooters. Horror games should be especially well represented. The console launches with Dead Rising 3, an exclusive title from Capcom and Microsoft. The previous series entries all appeared on Xbox 360, with a port of the first game showing up on the Wii and both 2 and Off the Record gracing the Playstation 3 as well.

Shortly after launch we should also see D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die from Hidetaka Suehiro (creator of Deadly Premonition) and Microsoft.  D4 will be a thriller/mystery released via downloadable episodes. And in 2014, Japanese developer Tango Gameworks will team up with publishing giant Bethesda to release a pure horror game The Evil Within at retail.

Dead Rising 3 for Xbox One

Dead Rising 3 E3

Xbox 360 owners are currently enjoying State of Decay, an open world zombie game with an emphasis on survival tactics that released on XBLA at the beginning of June. Capcom Vancouver’s Dead Rising 3 packs an open world too, though it provides a much more action-oriented experience (with a touch of humor) and far, far more zombies on-screen at once (we saw crowds made up of hundreds of the undead buggers).

Players control Nick Ramos, a mechanic who is trapped in the fictional Californian city of Los Perdidos 10 years after the events of Dead Rising 2. The government has quarantined the city in order to contain the zombie outbreak. Nick must rescue fellow survivors and find a way to escape from the undead city.

The Dead Rising series has always featured fast-paced melee combat with massive hordes of the walking dead. Beyond the sheer number of zombies, these games are also set apart by the crazy variety of weapons and clothing players can wield. Virtually any object you find can be used as a weapon, from plates to rakes to guns.

Weapons can even be combined into more powerful instruments of destruction. For instance, put a shotgun and a grenade together to make a Boom Cannon. Unlike the last game, you can make combo weapons at any time – no need to reach a workbench. Safe rooms are still worth finding because every weapon, item, or clothing article you collect will unlock for fast access in the safe rooms’ lockers and wardrobes.

Third time's the charm

Dead Rising 3 E3 SmartGlass
Dead Rising 3 SmartGlass

Dead Rising 3’s principle new gameplay addition is the ability to drive cars and plow through crowds of zombies. Enemies even interact with vehicles in realistic ways thanks to the game’s new physics engine. Zombies can cling to your car, affecting its center of gravity and making it harder to steer. Speaking of physics, the glass in cars and other windows shatters based on velocity. Shoot it with a bullet and it flies farther than if hit by a melee blow.

SmartGlass integration also elevates this third entry over previous games. When you launch the SmartGlass app, Nick actually pulls out a smartphone that mirrors the app itself. Nick will receive calls and texts through SmartGlass that open up exclusive missions to him. Complete these to unlock new “apps” within the app.

The apps granted by SmartGlass allow players to call in drone support, air strikes, and even reach out to other survivors for help. Finally, Nick can use view a map from his phone, search for gun stores and other locations, and then set waypoints that will appear on the big screen. There’s actually so much to do with SmartGlass that someone with a phone or tablet can actually act as a support player while another person wields the controller, and both people will still have fun.

The latest Dead Rising game is browner and less colorful than previous titles visually, but it will still have the series trademark humor: we saw wacky clothing items like Blanka and Servbot masks during the demonstration. The new game will not encumber players with a time limit by default, so you can actually explore the world at your leisure this time. An optional Nightmare mode reinstates the time and save game limits for players who crave a greater challenge.

Dead Rising 3 will launch alongside the Xbox One on day one. With 2-player online co-op, a densely packed open-world city, and staggering numbers of zombies to defeat, it should be a zombie game to remember.

The Evil Within for Xbox One and Xbox 360

The Evil Within security room

Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami finally returns to horror with this brand new franchise. The game starts out with a gripping prologue in which Detective Sebastian and his partner arrive at an asylum in which a major crime is unfolding. After walking through a lobby littered with bodies, Sebastian reaches the asylum’s security room. On its cameras he witnesses a squad of cops murdered by an assailant who moves impossibly fast. Suddenly the attacker appears behind our hero…

Sebastian regains consciousness, hanging from his feet in a basement room filled with dead, dripping bodies. Once he cuts himself loose, the player takes control. From there, Sebastian must sneak past one of his captors. But a chainsaw wielding maniac soon spots him and starts to chase. You’ll frantically run away from the killer, hiding in a locker as he stalks around the room. It’s tense and exciting.

The demo ended with Sebastian finally reaching the door of the asylum only to find that the world itself has been torn asunder outside. From what I saw of The Evil Within, it looks like a real contender for the horror game throne once occupied by the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series.

D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die for Xbox One

D4 for Xbox One

D4 stars a private investigator whose wife was brutally murdered. The protagonist has the unusual ability to travel back in time, which he does in order to investigate his wife’s murder. Even though he can visit the past, he can’t change it. But of course he’ll try to find a way to save his beloved anyway.

The developer's goal with D4 was to create a suspenseful game that’s as easy to play as watching TV. As such, D4 supports Kinect motion controls and voice commands. No need to stand up though – the new Kinect can easily track your hands while sitting. But people who prefer controllers will be glad to know that D4 supports physical controls as well.

The game will be very story heavy, though players still need to interact at various points such as choosing between dialogue options during a conversation. You’ll also have to help the hero fight for his life during action sequences. As we watched the hero fight off an escaped killer on an airplane, the player had to move one or both hands in various swiping gestures that mimicked the onscreen combat.

D4 doesn’t have a release date yet, but it will be released in multiple episodes. The developer wouldn’t confirm just how many episodes, but four is a safe guess if you ask me…

Comments

I honestly appreaciate the fact that you are covering more than windows phone, but I think it's enough with the xbox, E3 is gone, don't need to post each time when a game will pop-up for xbox one. This is windows phone central!

Maybe XBOXCentral is coming! ;)

deloa84 says:

They wrote an article while back saying how they will still concentrate on Windows Phone but at the same time they will bring more Microsoft relates news, such as Xbox, Windows 8, Bing, etc which I am all for it. :)

Sumit8 says:

That's exactly what i came here to comment. WPCentral should cover news about the Windows Phone ecosystem - like smartglass and all that, but games for XB1 ? That's not why i'm following this site and it's nt remotely related to Windows Phone.

TiLoBrown says:

Well DR3 uses Smartglass so it counts

cool8man says:

And DR3 uses SmartGlass brilliantly. As someone who has never understood the reasoning or appeal of second screen entertainment, I am psyched by the virtual phone on your phone idea. The fact that the game world can call you on your phone via SmartGlass is genius and collecting apps for your virtual smartphone is awesome. So excited for this game.

Paul Acevedo says:

As Deloa states, we'll have a certain amount of general Microsoft news like this in addition to our regular WP and Windows 8 coverage. And Dead Rising 3 DOES have the SmartGlass angle.
But don't worry, we only have a few more E3 articles to catch up on.

Personally I like reading about all the windows platforms phones, tablets, PCs, xbox, bring it all and let me choose!

devize says:

There's not always alot happening with Windows Phone so they have to keep providing some sort of related content. As you can tell, it has been a slow news day today so that's why I'd say things like these get posted. I'm all for it, if you're not interested just don't click on the headline.

You can always ignore it. Just a thought.

lubbalots says:

You're lucky we got an unbiased site that gives us positive news about xbox1. You won't like the lies, misinterpretations, and hack jobs from the other news sources.

^^^This N***ah^^^....Loved the original Dead Rising but did not love the load screens, so I passed on part 2. However part 3 is looking "Noice" so I'm buying for the ONE. Thanks for the whole E3 coverage and beyond. ONE

Zeeshan360 says:

Good news is that there are no loading screens in DR3 .. That's the only thing I liked in the interview.
The graphics are freakin awesome but I loved that cartoony art style of DR2 .. DR3's art style is more of serious brown pallet , no funky colours :(

Paul Acevedo says:

The brown palette is a shame. At least the rest of the game seems much improved!

Paul for Dead Rising 3 you should also add that through the kinect the zombies will be able to hear and react to sounds from your living room

TiLoBrown says:

Holy shit, considering how much I scream like a bitch i dont like that

Zeeshan360 says:

No .. They will not come near u if u are just talking , u should shout or something

Paul Acevedo says:

Oh yeah, I will have to work that in later. Just heading to bed now.

Jazmac says:

Rising Dead 3? 3??? Well, since you can't kill what is already dead, this story will probably never end.  lol.

incendy says:

Just an FYI but your twitter auth seems to be broken.

The smartglass features of Dead Rising look pretty good. I hope it shows a map at all times with your position on the smartglass device!

Jf.Vigor says:

I was holding out on dead rising 3 to see if it had coop, thanks for confirming for me! Hard to justify $60 purchases nowadays without some component of multiplayer

Paul Acevedo says:

Yep, multiplayer makes me want to buy a game at launch rather than waiting for a price drop.

I'm the opposite, when it's too heavy on MP, I usually end up not getting. No time to depend on other peoples schedules to have my entertainment. If it's heavy on narrative (SP), I'm usually automatically interested.

Paul Acevedo says:

Co-op never hurts the single-player experience though. Personally I have way more fun playing Resident Evil 6 with a friend than if I played alone, and I think that would be true of anyone willing to try it.

But I totally understand how hard it can be to get a friend to commit to going through a whole game with you and then scheduling it all out. In those cases, you can always play on you rown when nobody else is around and just do it together when you're both online.

Xithryl says:

I am loving the X1 posts, I understand this is Windows Phone Central, but considering how much hate is going around for the X1 right now, this is one of the only places I can read an unbiased news article.
Once you all stop posting X1 information, which I hope you don't I don't know where I'm going to get my unbiased news!

lemonsteveo says:

Agree. Everywhere else its like "Xbox sucks, requires internet, rather eat cheese" or whatever. It's things like smartglass and Kinect, that makes the Xbox One truly next Gen and not just a PC in disguise.

This.  Love my WP but I love these articles just as much.

Paul Acevedo says:

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. It's heartening that you enjoy our Xbox One coverage since we love writing it. :)

Dead rising is a funny game not frightening lol

SaucePolicy says:

I'm excited about the Smartglass features in DR3. I just hope they give Windows Phone owners some exclusive stuff to do in it.

LaNiQuE says:

Do people really dislike the gaming and other Microsoft news that much it's actually really helpful for me because im always reading articles on the app and we don't have a good IGN app ... Maybe Gaming articles could be moved to another tab or you guys could attempt to just not read them anyways thanks to Paul and Sam and the other writers

ZuNuKoo says:

Are all these games rated M, does anyone know? I prefer M rated games. (btw that's mature rating, for us in the US) If I was getting an Xbox one I'd want all of these. Hm.. Maybe I'll pick one up, if they're available on launch day.

Paul Acevedo says:

Watch the trailers - they should all be rated M in the end. Horror, after all.

RN50 says:

Is dead rising gonna come on ps4?

RetroMan71 says:

According to CAPCOM, without Microsofts help, DR3 only exists because of xbone.. So that sounds like a NO!

RN50 says:

Ah well, bit of a shame

lubbalots says:

Why would they need MS's help?

Henry Ovalle says:

Some games don't make enough money or generate enough hype to warrant another sequel. So some companies take on publishing rights to get the game out. Just how Bayonetta 2 was made only cause Nintendo took on publishing rights.

lemonsteveo says:

Nope, that's why I'm getting an XB1 - for this game!

Paul Acevedo says:

Always read the article before commenting, kay? :-\

lubbalots says:

...and I was hoping for a Resident Evil that doesn't play like Gears of War.

Paul Acevedo says:

The Evil Within should keep you busy then. Closest thing to the old RE games in a long time.

chucky says:

What are people whining about? I like all these Microsoft related news, it doesn't have to be just about windows phone.

LaNiQuE says:

Yea I talk to Dan about that today he says filters are coming So we can enjoy our gaming and other Microsoft news without people crying in the comments it's getting irritating though

Ushae says:

Xbox central would be amazing :)

Ushae says:

Xbox is the reason i even considered a windows phone in the first place!

natchogrande says:

If Dead Rising 3 is an x1 exclusive and worked with Microsoft studios, then why isn't the smart glass phone made to look like windows phone 8? Thought that would be an easy way to tie the game in with the platform rather than having those android or ios lookin icons.

Paul Acevedo says:

That's a bit of a missed opportunity, but I'm sure the answer is that SmartGlass is available for iOS and Android too and they didn't want to alienate anybody.