Xbox One

Microsoft repeals controversial Xbox One DRM policies [Confirmed]

In a late breaking news story, Microsoft today announced due to feedback from the Xbox and gaming community they have changed “certain policies” regarding their controversial digital-rights management features of the upcoming Xbox One.

The details are listed on the Xbox news site, which is being hammered left and right, resulting in errors when trying to load.

According to the site Giant Bomb, the changes in DRM are the following:

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

If accurate, this represents a complete 180 degree reversal on DRM, resulting in a significantly more competitive devices against Sony’s PS4, which has none of those restrictions. It also shows how Microsoft is more than willing to listen to user feedback on their device, which is still months away and can be changed significantly.

We recently wrote an editorial defending the contentious policies with most of our audience agreeing that in fact these rules weren't too off-putting.

We’ll update this story as more information comes in…

Update (Confirmed): Via the Xbox blog, Xbox head Don Mattrick writes:

"An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360."

Source: Xbox Wire, Xbox Wire 2 (official blog post); via Giant Bomb; Thanks, Auric J., for the tip

Comments

jamdown876 says:

this is my first time commenting at WP Central (love the site). gotta say that i am maybe 1 of the FEW people in the world that thought the proposed DRM requirements were a good thing in the long term. if people enjoy the way steam works i would find it exceptionally hard to believe that they wouldn't want the same on their console. (1) no more waiting in lines at midnight to buy a game. maybe some people like that but it seems borderline caveman to me (no disrespect), (2) i can share my library with people i am close with, without having to lug around a console or my games, (3) the last time i "sold" a game to game stop i was paid a whopping $7, so if i can sell it online to whoever for even $8 i'd be ecstatic because i wouldn't even have to leave my home to do that. the benefits of DRM far far FAR outweighed the perceived "problems". X Box 1 DRM system is way more flexible than anything that can be found on your smartphone, tablet, computer games, productivity software, apps, cable box (yup, read it up if you don't believe me) so it BAFFLES me that people were up in arms about this.

some people may have an issue with this, but i DESPISE it when companies bow to pressure from the ones most vocal. i can give a ton of examples (recently: lowes, a song sounding "rapey"...wtf?) so feel free to ask. that a policy that was so well thought out can be changed because a few people are acting out is poor poor form from any company. u know what's funny...i preordered mine simply for the entertainment capabilities. my kiddos will play the games i buy...and when they go back to their Mom's they can log in and play the game at their Mom's home. When the kiddos go to Jamaica to see my folks they can log in on my brothers XBox and play. i was really looking forward to that feature. and the ability to sell my games for more and without having to go anywhere. it seems that people have a problem with publishers making money on their art. i would rather publishers (big, small and indie) make money on their craft, continue to employ people, contribute taxes to the country and towns...than to have them go out of business because people want to have their cake and eat it too. i will bet my left testicle that even with these DRM restrictions gone people will still want $20 games, huge discounts on games released a few months ago, etc etc etc. reminds of a saying, give a man an inch and he'll take a mile.

Microsoft takes 1 step forward...people gripe (mostly because they don't like AND understand change)...cave in...take 7 steps back and to hell with creativity and progress.

on another note: if you don't have a Windows Phone, BUY one.

MethodGT says:

I agree with everything you just said. Especially about the kids use part.

jamdown876 says:

how people don't see the benefit of this is beyond me. as a poster said "we have to be brought into the future kicking and screaming". the share with 10 people was fantastic. all 10 people buy 2 games each and we all have access to 20 games. anywhere. on anybody's machine.

*sigh*

Zeroplanetz says:

i have a question - how is only buying two games and getting to play 20 really supporting the devs and publishers? i dont see it any different than people buying used games, as far as the pubs getting there cut.

ho0lee0h says:

XBox 180. No thanks. Staying with the PS4 initially. Will pick it up later maybe.

See what happens when people are f!!!ing cry babies I was totally happy with the new ability of the Xbox one. People are never satisfy with moving forward into the future wants the same old stuff that do the same old shit. Damn Microsoft why did you give in

swizzlerz says:

As I don't trade resell or lend games, this wont make a difference to me. . To others it may..

Fiann says:

And this is why we can't have nice things. Great job guys. You got your way. They just took away half the coolest new features. Now I am seeing less and less reason to buy an X1.

FearL0rd says:

No more online sharing and the game prices will be higher (same as ps4)... bummer :(

bigtoe88 says:

Thanks Trolls

Why must we always be dragged kicking and screaming into the future?  Cloud based gaming was going to be epic and open so many doors.  Now the XBOX ONE is just like an atari as far as games are concerned.

Good call idiots who complained.

And shame on Microsoft for listening.  What the hell?  It was the one time I wanted Microsoft to not listen to the people!

"A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." - Steve Jobs

MrGoodSmith says:

This is too good to be true. I have to read it with my own eyes in the official website.

wonder1070 says:

Makes way more sense to do this move, now for the WP8 users advice

I'm sure the software will still be in the Xbox One so that they can enable it if they decide to switch back though. Hopefully.

Graven Pshya says:

From what I've been reading you have to download a patch on day one to get the Xbox One to work without DRM policies. Can I just reject the patch and use the Xbox One how it was supposed to be?

Fndlumia says:

Hmmm after the keynote I'm not sure I believe this... But.... I want to believe

paulxxwall says:

I would take an option to still have DRM I kinda got over the policy changes since I'm always online anyway....only fair to developers

MerlotC says:

Maybe they will bring back some of the share features for digital copies only.

WScarlet says:

Narrow minded people afraid of the future and holding us back to what is inevitablely going to happen anyway, we are going to miss out on some interesting cool features that MS was going to bring along with this

wolfgangjr says:

That is sadly how the world works. Imagine if those retards would just be quiet? The world would be better.

JimmyRespawn says:

Thank you Sony fanboy!

Watupfoo09 says:

So what happens with the multitasking and fast switching games in a instant? Now you will have to find the disc, put it in, then switch. Asinine. The original idea was better and more advanced. This is becoming just a enhanced Xbox 360 not a new console. There were plenty of features that set the Xbox One apart from the PS4 and now that list is dwindling. Way to go guys.

chucky78 says:

I'm pissed that the family share plan is gone. WTF!

MrGoodSmith says:

I was willing to buy Xbox One even with the old policies, with 2 pre-orders already locked in place.
I was so sure Microsoft will do or change something about it before the release, but didn't expect it to be that soon and in such a way.
Well done Microsoft.

infosage says:

I am stunned!  Happy, but literally stunned.

I thought they'd wait until PS4 killed them at Christmas to fix it. I definitely have to say thank you Microsoft.

exyaster says:

I'm upset about this like many others. The way of the future would have been so much better than the present. The Xbox now has to complete on normal terms. It isn't all that much different than the PS4 now. I wanted a console that adopted a better Steam model.

I called this way before this happened? They had no other reason not to do it regardless of the benefits. I am just glad they do it now so Sony ca break a sweat and try something crazy before their console hits the market.

Josh Harman says:

Confirmed by MS on twitter.

wolfgangjr says:

All PS owners are PIRATES! That's why you bitched about DRM. Pirates be pirates. Thank you and F U .

bsd107 says:

NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! IDIOTS!!!!! The "game discs work just like the Xbox 360" means that we will ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE THE DISC IN THE DRIVE. That is insane in 2013. I would gladly take MS' previous proposal over this totally backwards move.....

DavidinCT says:

Not totaly true, if you dont want to have to put your game in the drive, buy all your games digitaly. Then you can play them with out the disc in the drive or need to be online.

Terry Mason says:

Everyone is freaking okay with Steam on the computer. When Microsoft trys to go the same rout everyone starts to freaking cry, but yet everyone loves steam.

Paybackxx says:

Read thru most of the comments on here and you will see many here agree with you.  I and many others want the Original DRM.

Paybackxx says:

I hope they make it an "OPT IN" option to have there intial DRM policy.  If they could somehow link the DRM policy to your Microsoft account if you choose to Opt In to the DRM policy that would be great.  I believe that would appease everyone then!

Narr says:

PS4 doesn't have these restrictions it just leaves it to developers to use whatever DRM policy they want; which is even worse.

navidee says:

This whole situation blows. I don't want to lose functionality. Can't us people who want to be constantly connected keep that functionality? I mean wtf...i was 100% behind microsofts vision on this.

BradCantona says:

Microsoft are very good at a great many things, but one thing they're abysmal at is PR. Credit though for saving face and making these decisions, ultimately don't think it will impact sales, but they surely, surely have to start learning from these mistakes to prevent them happening in future

V Turk says:

I don't like it i prefer it the new way. I don't want to have to put the disc in all the time. I want to be able to log in a play my games anywhere with out the disc. I want to be able to share my games with up to 10 family members.
I am upset just to please the people that are moaning we lose the next gen features that i was looking forward too. Now its just a new console with better graphics.

V Turk says:

I don't like it

TechFreak1 says:

Like some of you here, I too thought Microsoft will do a complete 180. Why?
There are several reasons, but Microsoft should have really thought this out before going all gun-ho with their Q & As as responses from key figures were not uniform.
I for one, just placed a pre-order for the day one edition (not because of the huge U turn but thought I'd do it before I forgot again lol) as my older brother will be getting the PS4 sometime later.
Anyway those who think the DRM would have ment steam like prices (meaning substantially cheaper than retail store disc prices).. they are more or less the same as disc based prices sometimes disc based IS cheaper, i.e. i  bought defiance PC version off Amazon for £18.99 couple of days ago whereas on Steam it is £34.99
There are games on that steam still sell for full retail price, where as in-disc based outlets they are considerably cheaper. The reason being there is no competition to Steam, this is true for any digital store, last i checked games on the PS Store games also went for full retail price that was like a few weeks ago  and I hear the same applies for xbox 360, why would this be any different for Xbox one or playstation 4 games?

Otsego Amigo says:

Well, I hope everyone that complained is happy, because everyone that was looking forward to the bright digital sharing future of Xbox One, including myself, sure won't be.

Oh well, maybe things will change again at some point.

Sucks when the people that are catered to are those that don't take enough time to look at the benefits that well and truly outweighed the downsides.

JPDVM2014 says:

So disappointed about this...

myfyp2 says:

I'm ok either way regarding the DRM. I'm more disappointed that Xbox One will only be released in late 2014, almost a year after the initial launch.

I hope they turn back after launch.  This is so, so disappointing.  All the great features are now gone.  I'm not happy at all.  I might cancel my order now.  I'm that pissed.

lavchild says:

In my eyes its a sad day for gamers! The future of gaming was upon us & now we have just a high powered current gen! Nothing revolutionary like xbox ones original plan. Its such a shame that the internet has given the twat a voice that has killed off such a great idea! I shall still be purchasing the xboxone on launch, but feel rather sad that its not the true version!
All the people complaining will be the retards that play call of duty 20hours a day on xbox live (or psn) constantly connected to the internet, but the 24 hour checkin becomes an issue & for what reason? There isn't 1!!! Come on people get with the times now is the future & xbox one was it!
& talk about paranoid, kinect always listening to you. it listens for 2 words (xbox on). what are you worried about? Your clearly upto something wrong if that scares the everyday public! Come on Microsoft you can win this war still your exclusives are awesome & in my eyes you could have won before the change with that alone!

camptime says:

For me the region blocking was the only problem, sad they dropped no disc in drive requirement and 10 family members.
There is still no reason Microsoft cannot fine tune all these thing after all there is still 5 months till release.

coip says:

Ugh, this is very disappointing. Their original strategy was much better, just poorly explained. They should've had a PR team from 6 months ago onward explaining the benefits of their original strategy: digital and remote sharing with up to 10 people (awesome), accessing your library on any console (awesome), games that grow thanks to cloud computing and digital downloads and updates (awesome), not having to lug around discs or pop discs into and out of the tray to play them (awesome). Instead they did no PR and let Sony do a PR coup (I really hate Sony right now for holding back the industry. If they had just announced the same features instead of trying to cheaply sieze on public misconception, all would've been fine, but instead they ruined everythign and now Microsoft has reneged on their awesome plan. Also, for those people who keep whining about the Kinect  being bundled in: please stop before you ruin that for everyone too.

lancguy says:

Like so many others here, I'm disappointed with this also. But, I'm not surprised. Everyone seems to blame the very vocal ones. I'd think there were other issues that caused Microsoft to reverse course. Ever since the launch, I wondered how this was going to play out with the EU. I'm sure the company would have found itself in trouble again due to the DRM. Regardless, it sucks :(

wpward291 says:

I hope they let us choose to keep 24 hour check in so I can use the share and there nice features

Well this just pissed me off.

MrGoodSmith says:

Guys, it's already happening, PS4 has become available for pre-order on several online stores while Xbox One is selling out

TrustySnooze says:

I'm actually disappointed in this.

tbonenga says:

I can't believe at the whiners on here. People are actually whining about something you buy to have recoupable value. Now if you buy a game for $65 bucks you have the ability to sale it after you beat it or get tired of it. I see why America has so many foreclosures, bankruptcies, repossessions and being hounded by collection agencies. People aren't wise with their money. You should never buy a game you can't easily resale. That's like flushing money down the toilet. I'm just stunned /saddened by the ignorance.

but that the thing, by law your not allowed to resale the game its illegal actually read the ToU of your games... also reselling games makes the studios go out of business for they don't get a cut of the resale just the initial sale (gamestop makes all profit from resales while studios see none)

vezycash says:

SOLUTION
I had to register to add a comment on this.
There's a simple solution to get both sharing with family without 24 hour checkings.
What microsoft could is implement a sales system.
Xbox must get online while installing a game right? Microsoft can do two things at installation.

1. Tie the game to an Xbox account (with whatever)
  2. Check to see if a game has been sold.

I.e. the seller must go back online and set the game as sold or transfer it to another person's account before the game can be played somewhere else.
Also the xbox website can keep track of where a game has been installed and only complete ownership transfer after the other consoles have logged on to the internet, to wipe off the game.
If this is done, the owner of the game, can still share the game.

dlwelch34 says:

I would rather have the family share because I'm always online

So I'm assuming this means the [seemingly] awesome cloud system they were planning is gone, too? My only REAL complaint was the 24-hour check in due to being in the Navy. I almost wish they hadn't changed any of the DRM if so.

Darkroar says:

Good news for everyone who wanted this change.  I hope everyone that complained pre-orders one now.  You demanded change, you got change now it's time to support it!

I was interested in the family sharing since I have friends in other timezones we could have capitalized on that sharing across single player games.  That's OK, though, I'll live either way.

Do you know my favourite thing about this news?
My favourite thing is that I won't have to shift through thousands and thousands of online articles about how bad this is and how it's the end of the world.  Really, the past few weeks have been sickening.  Yes, I don't have to go online and read stuff but it's kind of a habit.

It's good people are passionate about things, but a lot of articles seemed to go well beyond passionate and into some sort of fanatical hate.

10701353 says:

Agreed! Was on board with XBO and the pre-180 because it's how we buy most online digital content for a more integrated experience... games and the family share would have been amazing!
If only there was some sort of benefits for the people who want to download their games online as opposed to the disc model now implemented...
Then again... can't win them all can you?

Anbarasu says:

Nooo they should not go back on x1 policy. I want original x1 policy without region lock. Everything else should be as it was. Instead of going back they should have opt-in where in at first login you just have to choose.
one of the feature i liked and wanted is gone now.

Manny C says:

This is amazing news! Couldn't be happier.

ltjordan24 says:

I am so happy that they decided to get rid of this DRM b.s. I was this close to pre-ordering my PS4.

ahlun Lee says:

I think it is good thing to do from Microsoft.  I'm sure the things that Microsoft planned to do for the X1 is great, and that's the future.  But the thing is, how practical are those things for the present? Future is future, but the priority is the present, I don't thing those always on connection, 24-hour check-in and DRMs are approriate for the present.
If everyone else (Sony and Nintendo) are doing the same or similar things, then yes, they can all do it together, but if Sony and Nintendo is not doing the same thing, and Microsoft is doing something different that most people hate (most, not all), then it is a bad thing for Microsoft.
Prepare your hardware/OS to cater for future scenarios, but slowly implement it a step at a time when approriate should be the case, instead of doing all of those at once and get all negative response from the crowd.

ladydias says:

Not surprised that Microsoft reversed their stance on the used games and online check-in. It was a foolish move on their part. I keep seeing people shout about how "progress" was blocked but it really was a one step forward and two steps back thing. They are learning the same thing Sony did when they tried to implement a similar system with the PS3 when it first came out. For those saying the "vocal minority" won, I have to laugh as it was a huge problem for both casual and hardcore gamers to have the restrictions proposed in place. If it was the minority why were PS4 pre-orders blowing up after they announced no obvious restrictions on their games? Saying the people railing against the Xbone policies are the minority is wishful thinking.

majohnny says:

Really strange. First everyone is complaining. Now they give in and people complaint about that. I for my part hate that they gave in. I would have loved to share my library with my friends. The biggest bugger is that you have to use your disc again, I hate discs. What's next. Bringing the One for 499 without the Kinect? In the end we'll have an Xbox 360 with better hardware but old downsides...

majohnny says:

Sorry for the double post, but scrolling takes ours. I wanted to mention that we have to hear the noisy disc drive again. Man, I wonder if preorders even go up after they changed this

lancguy says:

I just came across this very well done discussion on just how little DRM would have affected many people, and what has now been lost....

DavidinCT says:

For real, Don Mattrick should be fired for this mess. After saying stuff like "you cant go on line, get a 360" and the PR mess that HE personally caused by what he said.

If they got someone to give the whole story, not bits and pieces... it might of been better.

badMojo69 says:

Bah  I have 3 360's in my house now time to give PS4 a shot.
MSFT is confused all they seem to do is fk things up.  WP7 > WP8...W7 > W8...and what the hell is up with the suck that is RT.
It's time for MSFT to change leadership.

infosage says:

I guess someone has to make the dumbest post on the board.  Let me see if I get this right, because Microsoft dropped the DRM stuff you are to switch to a system without DRM?  Are you the same guy that said since Windows 8 doesn't have a Start button, you were going to buy a Mac (that doesn't have a start button).

akar33 says:

Lol. I've heard so many people say that they will buy a mac because windows 8 doesn't have a start burton and the first thing I ask is "oh so the mac has a start button?"

Greg Gorby says:

A lot of people here seem confused and disapointed.. so alow me to explain a few things on how the world of business works.
1. Microsoft and Sony don't give a crap about any of us, but they do love our money.
2. Microsoft saw Sony getting all the money and didn't like that.
3. Microsoft made changes to try to recoup some of the money that they weren't getting because of some stupid decisions.
4. Money talks, crying fanbois walk.
I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings some of you may have had about Microsoft loving and caring about you.

"We recently wrote an editorial defending the contentious policies with most of our audience agreeing that in fact these rules weren't too off-putting."
What? Boy, are you delusional. The vast majority of people were incensed with these restrictions. The editorial clarified the reasoning behind such implementaitons, but in no way did the majorify of us agree that they were acceptable. Please don't misrepresent your readers, I implore you.

ScubaDog says:

Wow, so once again, Microsoft caves to the whiners who are apparently incapable of adapting to the new.  Just like the Start Button.  Progress held back by the weak.  Lovely.

Restricting someone's use isn't progress, it's censorship.

tlds says:

I All they had to do for me was remove the 24 hour check in rule so that I could play even if I was without internet.  I travel and sometimes I'm without internet. I get the drm part of Microsoft was doing but I didn't get the region lock. I don't mind buying a kinect as I would have anyway.  I just don't want my Xbox One to only work with the kinect attached.  Like I said I travel,  I guess I'd still be stuck packing around a kinect, ugh!  I think this is a big deal for some people to, I know several people that are going to pass because they don't want a Kinect.  I think that Microsoft should rethink this (kinect) as well becaue it is a barrier for some people.  I guess they've done cost annalysis and figure the extra $100 bucks for every console they sell will make up for any lost sales.  I ordered my Xbox One on the first day it was up for pre order.

I was thinking more about it and all Microsoft had to do for me was allow me to play no matter the internet connection or region if the game disc was in the console.  The only issues I had was the 24 hour check in  keeping me from playing any games and having to keep the kinect hooked up to use the Xbox One.

This is disappointing.

L0gic Bom8 says:

While I'm happy they've done this, I'm sad that installing games is no longer a requirement, at least from what I'm reading. If it still is, then excellent, because a lot of us readers know that read/write/transfer speeds on today's hard drives are faster than optical drives and that would reduce lag and load times!

Hold on... no region locks?  Does this mean what I think it does?

ytazbddj says:

"It also shows how Microsoft is more than willing to listen to user feedback on their device" - Are u kidding me. They just change their policy because no one buying Xbox one and it turned out flop already before even releasing the Damn thing. Just try not to make us laugh.

note the lack of mention of hard dosk installed games, using terms "disc based games"

ali80 says:

I don't believe it. It's just to push sales. The policy will be change to the 1st one after a year.

gerhard101 says:

Finally!! Hope its true!!!
Now their is no reason not to go for the xbox on:):)

Localhorst86 says:

Now, I really like the fact that they reversed on the 24h online checkin and the disc based games.

I do, however, not understand why MS wouldn't take the middle ground here. Have disc based games behave like they do now and opt for the new licensing model for downloaded games that would allow for the family sharing (which would, of course, need an online connection or at least a 24h checkin to work on the console).

This wouldn't even have to confuse the customer, all the xbox one would have to do is pop up a message when the user tries to play the game "You need to be signed in to Xbox Live to play this game", just as the 360 does now when you try to launch an XBLA game on a friends 360.

The point is: people are not willing to accept a new licensing model for their disc based, expensive console games (console games are considerably more expensive than their PC counterparts and there are practically never discounts for disc based games like there are on steam) but were willing to accept a new licensing model for their Games On Demand or arcade games, provided they would have benefits over the disc based games (either steam-like discounts or being able to share the game within certain limits)

gerhard101 says:

Cancelling by ps4 preorder getting xbox one thanks Microsoft for listening:)

pr0phecy says:

Thank you Microsoft for listening to your fans!! Pre-ordered the XB1 on day One (when the DRM was still in place). Now, I'm even happier! MS 4 the win!

When Microsoft comes up with the final move, they should let the user choose their own path.
one goes to the original plans, and showing all the benefits you will get from that path.
then have the strict less DRM path, and what benefits you will lose from the original plans.
just wishful thinking.

doctore says:

I can understand that microsoft was put in an extremely hard place. Now, in this digital age, the internet is used more often now than when ps3 and the 360 for came out. All the crying, complaining, memes, and Reddit, convinced users to give anything xb1 negative reviews. All sony had to do was "out do" them, and they did by mentioning everything xb users complained about. I wouldnt have minded the discless gaming, and everything else w/ the original.

ricmar says:

Pardon me, but why does Microsoft not allow us to choose which DRM set-up we want?
So, by default the console does work as "Normal DRM Mode" aka "xbox 360 DRM". BUT if I prefer the PRE-DRM xbox one, I just have to switch to "Always Online Mode". If I switch it back it will disable all my shares.
I do NOT want to have a built-in DRM, I want to choose. Why?
I prefer the "Always Online Mode", but if I go on holidays or somewhere else (shit happens) and want to take my console with me, I just have to switch to "Normal DRM Mode" / "Offline Mode" before I disconnect the console.
Microsoft can we have the best of the 2 worlds?
Thanks.

infosage says:

Why not allow us to place games (with a cd or reg key) into my online libraray (cloud) and then "check them out" onto a physical machines to play.  I could have it downloaded on multiple machines, but crippled until the check out key is set (and DRM verified).  Once checked out, I can play forrever or until I check the game back in.

When checked in, I could check it out on whatever machine I want, or even loan it to a friend (limit "friends" somehow to reduce abuse).  The checkout key (DRM) could only be on one machine at a time.

So you could check out your current 5 favorite games and go on a trip, and loan out a couple games to friends at the same time.  You just would need to be online to check in and check out games from your personal library.

I'm sure I missed something, but just a thought.

ricmar says:

Seems fine to me. :)

As long as we have an option to play offline without compromissing the future DRM of sharing games with our friends/family!

I am sure that microsoft will do it, if they have the will. They don't have to do it, but if they do ... xbox one will be definitely the best console arround.
When will we have a meeting with microsoft? :D

vamosg says:

By becoming region free Does this mean that Xbox one would be available in December also in the European countries that weren't in the list??

akar33 says:

When you see your shiny new hardware being made fun off at a popular late night tv show, you have to do something. Its not that Microsoft was wrong. I in fact loved the forward thinking setup. But maybe the world (& whiners) weren't ready for it yet. The same thing happened with the tablet pc years ago and then the iPad comes in and is hailed as the greatest thing ever. The Microsoft PR department needs to be kept in line. The company makes fantastic products otherwise.

Elvis7 says:

So very glad they changed it.. Especially "rent disc based games just like you do today " .

tbonenga says:

@pyroso
Old saying. You cam lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
You have facts. You just ignore them because they don't support your view.
1. MICROSOFT is a company. Their goal is to make money. Not make me or you happy. Make money.
2. Why did Microsoft backtrack so fast? There's only 1 answer. Wait for it...........PREORDERS.
3. So you can live in Lala land all you want. People spoke with their money and Microsoft answered.
4. I'm a Microsoft fanboy 100% but I wasn't buying my 2 consoles as planned. Because of the used game situation. Obviously I wasn't alone.
5. It doesn't matter what I like or you like. It's what's gonna make Microsoft the most money. I'm just thankful I was on the side that won this time. I might not be next time but Microsoft is getting about $1,000 from me now. 2 consoles, 2 extra controllers/headsets etc.
I'm thru with it its over. Lets move on. Peace

robdmau says:

Ya this is good but at the cost of the family shared and installing a digital copy on the cloud to be able access by your user log on sucks... I was looking forward to that feature!

It is really absurd when I read comments that state "I have no respect for Microsoft because they gave in to easily" like WTH! People complained about the policies and the same people complain about them removing the policies. Yes, I agree that we lost a lot of cool features, but at least I know the company behind my future device will be listening to our reaction and that's a good company.

Zenpharaoh says:

This sux. Microsoft had innovation, now we're left with a stronger 360, thanx internet!

Sponge920 says:

If true, the the XB1 is back on my shopping list! :D

Skittledude says:

It's really sad that almost everywhere I look, I'm seeing people claim that Microsoft is either being too firm or having no backbone; there is honestly no winning for them. If they where to change the policy again, even if it improved it, I bet I'd be seeing people complain about how confusing Microsoft is becoming with their changes. It's getting really frustrating to see the that bashing Microsoft and the Xbox is now mainstream.
In honesty, I thought that the DRM plan would have worked out if they had just simply explained the positives it had instead of the way Don Mattrick and Larry Hryb handled questions (deferring questions and appearing semi-hostile). Microsoft needs to have better relations with their consumers and insure that people really know what the hell is going on by simply answering questions in an affirmative way, albeit it's hard when the immediate reaction to X1 was that DRM makes it broken and nothing else about it is redeeming.
They could have just said that they were following the path of Steam or at least done a better job informing the public about their plans.

I suppose they can still implement their DRM policy on digital games (please correct me if they have already confirmed their stance on DRM with digital downloads). They COULD turn it into the MS version of Steam with appealing price tags, fantastic, constant, sales and incentive to jump over to the digital side.

In a year or so, I don't really know that this will be as much of a problem though, people will be too busy enjoying their games to give a damn about these events.

I will add my voice to those who are sad about all we have lost in this.
Additionally, on the price non-issue, why are you even concidering buying a shiny new console if the $100 difference is a deal breaker for you???? Games are $60 a pop, if the cost difference is all that is holding you back you might need to rethink any large purchase.
If you are that poor, stick with the game system you already have and don't bother the rest of us with it, or your useless "ditch the kinect think then i'll buy one". No you wont, you never were going to buy the XB1, so stop making it like your opinion matters at all. Here is the fact: the current kinect is gimmiky on most non-excersize/ non-dance games BECAUSE it is optional. Game dev's can't count on it being there so it is goofy, at best, and plain annoying at worst. If devs knew they could count on it being there then they might make some cool uses.
For example, off the top of my head, issuing voice commands to squad members in COD type games. Or, since it can detect subtle movements, how about a precice look around the corner (since you know you crane your head while playign games, like it will help you see around the corner better)? OR, since it knows when you are looking at it an auto pause when you look away for more than x seconds rather than dying because you are focused on mopping up the drink you just spilled, or hell I dunno any number of things. the point is we wont have ANY OF IT if it is optional because tards with gps/camera/voice recognition phones and who FB or tweet every few seconds are suddenly afraid of privacy issues...
Bah, I'm done. I ordered mine and am happy that I can get a console on day one for the first time (always had to wait until the price came down on everything, even my master system) and I refuse to buy a single disc based game.

wormy6 says:

Something had to give, too many negatives on the xbox one.  I am sad though, I was hoping they would drop the price.  I liked the always on requirement; it meant I didn't have to hold onto the discs.

toph36 says:

Couldn't they have just made the DRM check-in every 7 days, instead of every 24 hours?  Maybe that would have been more acceptable to those against it.  I don't have an XBOX now, but am seriously considering the XBOX One.  I feel like this reversal is holding back the platform.  Hopefully DRM is something that you can opt into (at some point at least).  I think the benefits outway the downsides, but I am not a gamer.

Help bring back the connected future of XB1 !!!!! Sign the petition and pass it around!!!!!!

Pages