Microsoft reported to be looking to launch Xbox and PC titles on iOS [Updated]

iPhone 5

According to a Nikkei report, Microsoft is set to look at introducing video game titles from the PC and Xbox platforms on the Apple iPhone. This is said to be on the table with a partnership formed between Redmond and gaming firm Klab. Nikkei claims that the titles will be brought across to iOS using Google's Android OS, which may mean we could well be seeing a wrapper utilised for original games.

It's not known how many titles are on the table for inclusion and exactly what Xbox features will be available to iOS users, if any. It's stated that Microsoft's popular real-time strategy IP, Age of Empires will be making the trip across the bridge. We do not know if this refers to the online version or a previous release.

While we can understand Microsoft wanting to branch out and offer games on other platforms, we're sure this may irritate some Windows Phone fans. We'll look forward to hearing more on which titles will be heading to the iPhone.

Update: Microsoft released the following statement to Polygon:

"Today, KLab Inc. announced a licensing agreement with Microsoft Corp. to develop a mobile version of Microsoft Studio's Age of Empires franchise, which will be initially developed in English for iOS and Android and launched globally, with plans to release the game in other languages and on Windows Phone in the future. Some reports included incorrect information about additional Xbox Live-based games on iOS and Android but there are no further announcements beyond Age of Empires at this time."

So we're only looking at Age of Empires for the time being, which makes sense as it's an online game. That said, we're sure many would rather see Windows Phone support sooner than the mobile competition.

via: The Next Web; Thanks, Cesar, for the tip!

Comments

procen says:

I will take whatever I can get for your behind, even a flip phone. :-P

rodneyej says:

Still say fuck you, and you can keep your un-innovative, boring, played out, fake ass, piece of shit one trick app launcher!!.. I'd like to see your wrinkled up little face when WP market share surpasses iOS you stupid, stank ass, twig sucker!... Lol..
Why don't you take that piece of crap phone of yours and shove it up that worn out abuse hole of yours!....
Wow!! IDK what came over me... Sorry about that. I guess you struck the right nerve in me... You communist,, no good old school thinking, closed minded, busta ass, shit pant wearing little bitch❗❗
OMG! I should be ashamed of myself.. Sorry once again... You.. Lol..

oddom says:

Wow well I mean if that makes you feel good then I accept your words lol I'm not much for the iPhone though ^.^;

rodneyej says:

So, you're going to admit that you use Android?.. Wow, you're more foolish than I originally thought.. You're in quality territory buddy, you most likely wouldn't understand what WP is all about, so no hard feelings now that I know what im dealing with.. I'll pray for you partner..

oddom says:

Once again you don't know a thing -.- I own a phone from wp, ios, and android. If I learned one thing from talking to you is that you will never be able to have an intelligent conversation because you have exposed your ignorance of anything mobile. But hey enjoy your bubble and I will enjoy my HTC one, Nokia 920 and iPhone ;)

kurotsuki says:

And you said you only worth symbian? Wow. That's makes us easier since we don't need to sell you. Just grab those HTC One and iPhone and leave you with the doomed WP of yours :D

*J/K :p

deloa84 says:

Whoa whoa whoa there!!!... Who let the cat out of the bag? Lol

rodneyej says:

This guy up here⬆⬆ doesn't know where he's at.. I think he's lost.. Lol!

xoph3 says:

This just further confirms for me that we are witnessing the death of this platform (WP).  I'd put my money on the fact that the next big release will be the last.

Ticomfreak says:

Android had similar growth, and similar problems. I think we'll do alright.

dynamic_cast says:

This! Google also develops apps for iOS.
Also I'm not a fanboy, and the reasons that made me choose Windows Phone haven't changed.

dalydose says:

Google has never developed something for iPhone and excluded Android...and they never will. That lunacy is monopolized by Microsoft.

OMG55 says:

Not  defending them, but we already have the xbox hub, skype (less video sharing), office (free)...iphone has to pay for an office 365 subscription which generates revenue for MS. So we not been left out, we just don't have a specific feature of skype which MS may be working on a way to natively integrate this feature into WP

how "alright" and the owner company is the one who is destroying it?

oddom says:

Too much money kiddo

rodneyej says:

You my son have lost your little mind.

schlubadub says:

The reception of the original xbox was woeful... It wasn't until Halo became immensely popular (Halo 2 I think) it started to take off. MS has to sell them at a loss and commit billions of dollars to increase popularity. They're not known for quitting when they're trying to gain market-share.

Kellzea says:

Exactly. MS will keep throwing money at it until it wins. In the mean time though, they gotta make money and spread brand recognition.

dkp23 says:

Games on other platforms isn't an issue for me, the issue is are these games going to be on wp8 or windows RT first or at the same time it releases with ios/android?

Or they going to treat this like skype, let the windows phone users get a bastardized version while they improve other platforms first or completely release on other platforms first.

Logic says no way games dont come out on wp8 or windows OS first, but then again, we are talking about MS here.

Nimdock says:

BIG MISTAKE!

I am OK with Office and things like that (and even like that they do it) since those are services that people expect when they buy Office.

But Xbox Live should be a brand associated with Windows and Windows Phone.

Enzomnia says:

I hope 8.1 knocks my socks off. Ive loved my Lumia 920 since the day I got it, even with the lack of apps and support. Now it just seems like MS doesn't even give a damn about Windows Phone. iOS 7 is looking pretty attractive though.

spitefulgod says:

As long as that wrapper is available for windows phone, it may level the playing field a little.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but if Windows Phone Blue or whatever isn't much of an improvement, I'll switch to Android Key Lime Pie or BlackBerry 11. If those aren't much of an improvement either, I might get an iPhone 5S.

dudedud says:

As long as they don't support android I'm cool with it.

oddom says:

Go to android central and you will learn that they are going to

camptime says:

Going to do the same on Android i am afraid.

cdb033 says:

That sucks!!!

Xbox games keep me locked into WP. Take away that selling point and I am open game to other platforms.

quantum tao says:

i dont care who they support. just make sure windows phone is first and at par or better.  i know, who am i kidding?

KKRLessey says:

Priorities Microsoft, made your own platforms great before helping others.

killakiloz says:

Yep. Boneheaded move. One of the reasons I stayed with wp8 after wp7 was the games and achievements etc. Will switch to iPhone since MS obviously cares about them just as much

Indeed. Thank you MS for encouraging me to chose iPhone over any WP device. It's like...you want to fail and you don't know how.

cdb033 says:

Lol!!!! So true!!! Lol!!!!!

cruisezero says:

Microsoft is making very few arguments to switch platforms. Kinda makes me mad sometimes. I don't get their logic. The whole company's communication seems disjointed.

steve_w_7 says:

As more time goes by, there are fewer and fewer reasons to stay with Windows Phone.
I originally came from iOS and between the Windowsification of the iPhone and the ridiculous amount of time it takes to release hardware in the US (I'm looking at you, Lumia 925), I'm now leaning back toward Apple.
If you're a T-mobile customer, what good reason is there to stick with Windows Phone?
Anyone???

All this seems to verify that Microsoft just isn't all in with wp.

dby2011 says:

If you can't beat them, join them I guess. Maybe this is a new partnership to try to beat Android, I read Bing is now the default search engine for iOS now.

mr_808 says:

I'll wait to see how big the list is and how quality the games are before I come to a conclusion with this.

ExBB says:

I keep waiting for Microsoft to take a leadership position with this Phone Operating System. Not any time soon.

brandoshido says:

So wtf is the motivation for me to stay with windows phone?

kurotsuki says:

Dunno. But I'd stick on my WP though. Maybe because it was Nokia? Again ... Dunno.

It's hilarious seeing how the brain of a Windows Phone fanboy works. They want everything from other platforms on Windows Phone, but loose their shit when something from Windows Phones goes to iOS or Android. Hyprocrisy at its best.

deloa84 says:

I have to agree with your comment. It utterly confuses me and I'm sort of a WP fanboy...

Kellzea says:

Agreed. An im a WP famboi. Cant believe the comments in this thread.

steve_w_7 says:

You understand the definition of hypocrisy about as well as you can spell it.

Kellzea says:

Excellent retort. Well argued sir. *golf clap*

steve_w_7 says:

Thank you, kind sir. *removes cap and takes deep bow*

Kram Devil says:

That's animal cruelty right there!!!  Meat is  murder! ;)
Wonder what it will taste like?

cheesemoo says:

For the first time in my life I am wondering what hippo tastes like...  wonder if there is one of those steak houses that serves all those crazy type steaks, that also serves hippo?

Retort of a clueless fanboy: attack the grammar and not the idea. P.S English is far from my first language. If you want me to communicate in Urdu I'm more than happy to.

Saste says:

Totally agree (and i love wp since day one with my old trophy (spark))

procen says:

Look what the cat drag in again the iPhone guy. i thought that you're gone forever.

xankazo says:

I guess you'd have a point, but can you tell us what Apple (iOS) or Google (Android) has given us WP users?

What games or apps does Apple make that you want?

samlj0717 says:

What does Dan has to say bout this, cause we need so words of encouragement...

Jazmac says:

I for one endorse this move. As long as there is some reciprocity in the deal. There are a few titles I'd love to have on this platform.

HarisA1 says:

Microsoft used to lead in all aspects of the market.. Software, gaming, Office, etc, etc.. What is happening... ?

dukrem says:

Doesn't bother me that they sell their content on other platforms, so long as WP and windows 8 get that same content at the same time or before the other platforms (especially age of empires).

deloa84 says:

Microsoft after all is a software company and this move seems like another way to expand their user base. Maybe they want to make some cross platform games or something. We will have to wait and see. Many people here are quick to judge/criticize Microsoft when I think it is smart to keep themselves relevant in the future. Android/iOS only have so much room left for growth.... On the other hand, WP, Blackberry, have plenty of room to grow if they play their cards right.

Kellzea says:

Finally a level head.

kurotsuki says:

Agreed. That's basically what I think. If, say, a multiplayer games, can be played across existing platforms, that would be neat since we WP users won't feel left behind as Android and iOS users playing one. TBH, for now, only gameloft give us that experience (like the one on Asphalt 7).

deloa84 says:

Exactly! Then if your buddy asks what game is that and is it available on android/iOS you can say it is and compete/play against each other.

chezm says:

I guess they haven't learned from 360/ps3 this generation...giving up all their exclusives bad idea. Another loss for WP.

TechAbstract says:

If Xbox 360 had no exclusives, I doubt it will sell much. Samething is happening on Windows Phone 8. But this will help Windows Phone users move to other platform easier.

dreonedon says:

Microsoft is about to be 1 company 1 link 1 OS lets all wait until Windows 8.1 before we all jump ship I think Microsoft and Nokia are working on something very special have faith until 8.1 if things don't change by then I guess it never will.

NIST says:

This is all very interesting. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. So with the emergency Nokia meeting last Friday and now this, I wonder what Microsoft's official response will be. I would imagine they have a PR department or marketing department which must be aware of the perception on the community with these recent events. I'm not sure what they are trying to do here or what's in it for Microsoft to lay low and say nothing, or lay low and give away the goods. Especially when trying to court developers to your platform soon.

laserfloyd says:

Meh. I'll wait to see what the big shakeup at MS reveals before I get worked up. No reason to get in a full on tizzy just yet. :P

style2k12 says:

on selling per game point its a good choice . but on the other hand if they not release games on other platforms it could give more. if people start buying windows phone to play some games they make more money in the end

NIST says:

It could be a message to developers that if you write a game for Xbox\WP that it can also provide a revenue stream from ios and android as well with Microsoft doing the port. It would get more developers writing Xbox games.

btgusto says:

and our developers are wasting time porting games over to ios instead of improving OUR platform.  What a waste of resources and funds.  I hope streamlining the company will put more focus on US and grow WP development at a faster rate

sdreamer says:

Wow.... That's a really stupid move. Microsoft going the way of Sega? Learn from history, it will suck.

luniboy26 says:

It seems like iOS is the platform to get on regardless of how terrible it is. First you had Google sending all their apps over now we have Microsoft doing the same as much as I hate it, it seems like I might have to go back to Apple

tone84 says:

Why.. Apple hates us!

Letros says:

There's a rumor of Halo 2 coming to iOS as well.

Well... But XBox is not a core part of the iOS. But it is in the WP8

alokinalset says:

Is Apple offering the game center to WP8, if so then i will understand that there is a partnership talk.

If we have no trust on the creator, why would you think the creator will trust us. We can't let this news break this wonderful community.

NightWatch71 says:

You're joking right.. You're actually mocking the whole fanboy mentality.. right?

Bratnikola says:

Why am I going to buy WP then?

TwoReplies says:

Because the OS is far ahead of iOS.
iOS just has the droning "MEE TOO!!" fanbase.

Seriously, if you compare the UI of both OSs to desktop OSs, iOS is more comparable to Windows 3.1 (just beaten with a photoshop hammer for two decades).

theefman says:

We need to accept the facts - Windows Phone will never be a priority for Microsoft. All their actions to date prove that. Their focus now as a devices and services company is spreading their services as far as they can and Windows Phone is seen not as a showpiece for their services but just another client competing for dev resources. And if that's the case there is no compelling reason to stick with WP as you will get the same and likely better Microsoft experience on other platforms.

With less functionality, fewer 3rd party apps, no compelling exclusive features WP really has no reason to exist. Sadly Nokia stands to be the biggest loser as they crumble when WP is inevitably cancelled by Microsoft. That is my main regret in this whole WP debacle.

TwoReplies says:

If you had to choose between all the IP Microsoft has,... are you saying that WindowsPhone should take priority over other (more lucrative and larger user-base) products, like Windows, XBOX, Office, and server solutions? ಠ_ಠ

Spedez says:

He didn't say anything remotely like that. Just stating the facts. If MS won't start speeding up WP development and taking it more seriously, Nokia will go down. It was a dumb move in the beginning with for Nokia to put all their eggs in the same basket (a very flimsy basket should I say) and just hope for the best. Nokia has gained nothing but lost market share when they went all-in with WP. MS on the other hand got a whole lot of brand recognition and quality hardware from Nokia. MS can thank Nokia that they even have a profit generating app store in WP.

Dratwister says:

So, just one question: Will these titles come to WP (their own platform) same time (or better, sooner)?? Cause if not, then I have no reason to keep waiting for WP's growth anymore. Why should I when all of supports, both first and 3rd parties, are missing on it?
Microsoft should deal with it and give us an answer, do they want their platform to succeed or not? Make up your mind and stop playing around...
Unless Microsoft's trying to kill Nokia and buy it out...

umovies says:

Stupid is as stupid does

Zamir Yusof says:

Until Android struggling to optimize and iPhone still have the tiny display, I will stick to windows phone. Though it is much better if MS focusing the gaming experience on WP platform first before anything else since they are the one that touting by sharing DirectX API with desktop counterpart, user can expect great title from xbox/pc be port over to WP.

In Limbo says:

So I've looked through as many of these pissed off WP comments as I can bear (I'm one too, lol), but as far as I can see, there seems to be no indication as to whether they will be including achievements or not.

SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE ACHEIVEMENTS AWAY OR I WILL LOSE MY S***!!!!!!!!

kenzibit says:

This is soo STUPID of Microsoft, where's the fuckin competition??

They flat out do not get it. Fine. Then dump the mobile department. You will have zero reason for people to make the switch

ikissfutebol says:

I didn't read the source article, but "set to look at" sounds more like language used to get investors off your back. We heard rumors that Microsoft would bring Office to iOS. I would argue porting an app useful to those that are already paying for a subscription is hardly what many of us had in mind.

brupub says:

Microsoft obviously cares more about $$$ than supporting Windows Phones, especially 7.8. Wonder what Nokia's thinking?

Spedez says:

I think Elop is rubbing his hairy hands with a smile right now. Others on the other hand...

eduardopl says:

They should bring common sense to the company, so they stop doing this kind of sh*t

Kadcidxa says:

I hope the Microsoft shake up Friday will fire the current Windows Phone Team and hire people with common sense.

nizzon says:

Its obviously not the WP-team that is making these decisions, its the others divisions that dont give a shit about WP.

ho0lee0h says:

This is ridiculous. Skype and now this... Why shouldn't I jump ship to iOS or Android? After owning a 920 for 8 months, the camera is great but not a deal breaker.

Fndlumia says:

Bad business strategy just like when Microsoft bailed out apple, anyway I will continue to support this platform as I refuse to become an isheep like certain ppl commenting here.

Rafig says:

people what happend is that apple want to suppored windows , they are transforming , all they are exchanging application but there is something for something going on you will see.

sinister1 says:

WTF? Hell no!! First fix issues with WP8 and then maybe think about other stuff!!!

ninny1176 says:

Whatever...MS if first a software company and the way its burning cash right now it needs to ensure revenue streams...and maybe this is part of the deal for MS being the search provider for IOS 7...

In other news, Nintendo and Sony console are expected to have a Fable, Halo, and Gears of War release following Microsoft's plans to make them free on the Xbox 360 as the platform begins to phase out.

Selling product in multiple markets is a good business strategy. More revenue is good for the company. I think the whining tech fascist brand nazis ought to lock themselves in a room together and spend the night boycotting each other. Seriously, why spend time signing in and complaining so strongly and broken hearted about an inanimate object if you're so likely to jump ship due to a weak understanding of the business behind the tech and the tech behind the business?

AriesDog says:

THIS is the reason for the rumored major Microsoft reorganization coming next month. VPs from one division do major damage to another division without considering how it affects Microsoft as a whole. I half expect Microsoft Studios' Phil Spencer to publish Halo on PlayStation. Ever see that infamous MS org chart that shows all the VPs pointing guns to each other?

procen says:

The reorganization is a good move to get rid of useless VP's that harm the company's future. Everyone want's to be a big shot not knowing what the right hand is doing from the left hand..

WinEXMan says:

ANOTHER FUCK YOU BY MICROSOFT, Nokia supports this shit more than MS just hand over the OS to them.

In Limbo says:

Speak brother!

I ditched my iPhone for the Xbox titles. This is pure crap, especially since they barely release Xbox games on their own phone. Why did I buy a surface and windows phone. Ur right I'm pissed!!!!

Kadcidxa says:

This is a sign Microsoft isn’t interested their own platform. I am discouraged to upgrade to Windows Phone 8. Why should anyone stick with Windows Phone now? All exclusives are going to other platforms.

TheDarKnight says:

This is a stupid move, why wasting resources on other competitor platform? Bring more games and apps for windows 8 and wp8 for god sake.

trmnrs says:

Soooo there basically no point in getting anything Microsoft anymore. I realize it's about convenience to the consumer but you don't see Apple bringing iWork or Game Centre or any of their services to Windows Phone or Android...why should Microsoft do the same? They're gonna lose all their market share and it's gonna hit them hard.

Dk92 says:

Microsoft is like a girlfriend who says she loves you and will always support you, yet she keeps cheating on you with other guys. Eventually she's going to leave you for that other guy for good..

hutuka says:

LOL what's up with the hate. As far as I can see as a Microsoft fan, the more money they get, the stronger they are so I have no complaints! Plus, the thought of going back to iOS never occur to me so it doesn't really matter. Grow up people!

phing77 says:

The more money they get to M$ not WP....

hahahahahhaa....
Smart Move Microsoft. WP8 is flop, windows 8 is flop, xbox one is already controversial.
Microsoft is quite big to fall, but I am sad for nokia. Hope another company purchase it and make android phone then microsoft will realize their stupidity

Kellzea says:

Keep taking the pills bro

nike_ab says:

I know bro that is not possible but accept this fact that wp8 is not priority of microsoft. What do u think Halo won't be relased for ios? I suggest u keep taking the pills.

In Limbo says:

THE STREET ARE RUNNING RED WITH BLOOD!!!

hd7b4radar says:

Was upset at first then thought about game of thrones. I love it but none of my friends have seen it cuz they don't have HBO. HBO will never put it on Netflix but how many more subscribers would they get if they put the first season on there to get them hooked and now people want to subscribe to HBO cuz they like what they saw. Not just game of thrones but all their shows. Same goes for the games they see what they can get but the real stuff and good games r on WP.

cannon#WP says:

Nope, your friends would either just wait for Netflix to get season 2 or buy it on disc.

NightWatch71 says:

HBO is so good, they just don't care. WP and its games are nothing alike. No reason for people to come to WP.

F@#k Microsoft, Nokia sever the deal and go back to MeeGo. Question though, why did Microsoft not apply this same strategy for the Xbox in it early stage. Why did they not allow their precious Halo on the playstation or Nintendo?

nike_ab says:

agreed. But trust me after 6 months or may be 8 months halo will be relased for ios

MDboyz says:

They are just working together to bring down Google/Android first.  That is their goal .. :D

punkJD says:

AoE will come out to android too, so that's not their objective.

cannon#WP says:

The same people here who say this will convert iOS/Android people to WP are probably the same people who say BBM being on android will make people want to switch to BBX. There is not one example of someone who said "wow, this former exclusive app from a platform I don't want to use that's launching on my preferred platform that I defend to the death makes me want to change phones." It just doesn't happen.

Kunj Patel says:

Worst partnership  First office and then Xbox games What the hell Microsoft is doing? Stop caring about other platforms work on Windows Phone.

OMG55 says:

Especially after the way google & developer atent afraid to flat refuse to develop apps for wp

OMG55 says:

How many of you tweeted this on MS & Joe B's twitter pages......let me guess 10. If you were true gamers then you'd cry out like you did over always on & digital downloads and make the hear you. Remember their quote, "The gaming community has spoken" well the WP community needs to speak now!

San123456 says:

People Microsoft has a bussiness to run they need to get money from other plataforms too. It doesn't bother me at all. The only thing I ask Microsoft it's to relase apps and games first in WP and Windows 8 then in the other plataforms. I use WP cuz I like it and I won't change to android or iphone just for this.

OMG55 says:

I understand that, but at least use your resources to better your existing platform first. How are they making money when the Xbox hub is free? Most people who download it already have xboxes; they won't buy a WP if they have all the goodies on an existing platform they have mo complaints about. Everyone Just Tweet @joebelfoire

punkJD says:

I'm not changing to Android or ios because of this too, but if microsft continues with this crap movements I'll maybe switch to the new iphone or xperia z or htc one.

style2k12 says:

i think that articles like this do more damage then ms itself . i mean in this article it looked like ms is releasing al sorts of games first on ios . but its only aoe right now . and comon aoe is an old game played it alot but thats old . so let ios get an old windows game . who cares..
i think better check sources before articles liek this are written . was the same with the drm stuf. the drm stuff on xbox one was brought as if it was a load of crap. but it wasnt it was a rather good system they wanted to use . but deu to people screaming like shit abotu soem articles that dont explain good what it realy mean ms got rid of the system and is kept stuck in historyinstead of making a new experiance.
ms is doin what is has to do an that is make money . wp is stil smal market share so its logical they also do other stuff. but if articles like this wil keep coming everyone is thinking that ms sucks , but in fact in lots of cases its the media that sucks by bringing un checked articles . same with the skype thing not released on wp people screaming that ms sux but few days later it become clear that skype wil be integrated in 8.1 as some already thought only thing is that 8.1 isnt released yet but hey we cant have everything right..

kingkoopa09 says:

I don't care if its one game we don't even get a game of the week every week yet you can give a flooded icrap market games that we should get at least at the same time damn i understand Skype because of the integration but just a game no they haven't even ported the Zune apps yet that are built with xna and so called easy to port to Xbox products

stumpy1570 says:

This is some bullshit. I left apple, bought surface and don't get me started on how many windows phone people I got to convert. Total dick move MS. Devices and services means our services on your devices... Not ours.. Aka windows phone. I'm close to selling surface and ditching Lumia 920. I'm sick of it..first the Skype crap and now this...

Kellzea says:

Wow, so you only have your WP and surface for age of empires and skype? Yeah, i can totally see why your super pissed at this.

stumpy1570 says:

No, that's not the point. You need to give someone a reason to buy. What this shows me is they don't care. They are going where the people are. They are putting their resources into Android and apple. Maybe I should put mine there to since they don't care about what all of us are trying to do. Get this platform going. I can't get people to just switch for a camera. Skype video comes to even blackberry..i mean really.???

stumpy1570 says:

I am the biggest windows phone fan there is. I'm actually getting tired of this shit

Kellzea says:

No, what you said is your ready to sell up. That's got nothing to do with new people buying. Your selling up because of this news. So it must be very important to you.

phing77 says:

and what we can do on WP now? Phone call?

procen says:

Windows Phone is a phone that you use to make a phone calls.

phing77 says:

So does my taco phone... In case u never heard of it it's call N-GAGE
Windows Phone just lost another key selling point

procen says:

You buy the phone just for games, but I buy my phone for something else.

Can it receive phone calls too??

procen says:

I don't know you tell me.

kingkoopa09 says:

Hell yea we are pissed ms bought Skype they control who gets what yet they skip over there own platform with this nonsense they call an app, and they bashed ur head in that its the only phone with Xbox live and games yet they have a total of what maybe 100 games optimized for wp8 most wp7 games don't even work on 8, and u mean to tell me I'm buying ur products and ur giving better support to ur competitors that's a slap in my face

Micah Dawson says:

I have a feeling Windows phone may go the way of webos

It already is. Only Nokia is keeping it alive

kingkoopa09 says:

Wp7 is already there despite an app or two popping up every once in a while

lubbalots says:

So I wonder if Joe B. think this too.

Jason Wun says:

Oh crap, could I say screw u MSFT?

People come to wp8 for a lot of reasons. I came for the Lumia 920, the operating system, Xbox (even though I am not a big player I am thinking of getting one). When competing areas get stuff first, when they get better service, it does sting. Heads need to roll at Microsoft. Let us start with the heads at Skype and Xbox. Fire Terry Meyerson (what did he do? What did he achieve? Axe him.)

luniboy26 says:

I'm going to destroy Windows Phone Twitter page until they do something positive for us. One tweet at a time they will hear me

stumpy1570 says:

Right there with you. On tweet 25

luniboy26 says:

12 for me I'm even included Bing in on it and I'm going for blood with Joe Belifore next

stumpy1570 says:

I'm even going after Ben the PC guy. I will not stop!!! I left apple for this shit. Sold my mac and iPhone. I'm pissed!!!!

NightWatch71 says:

Lol. You're great, please go on.

Kellzea says:

You are a dick. Seriously, a dick. This news has you so worked up that your spamming people who work for MS twitter accounts? Really? You are a dick.

luniboy26 says:

People of WPCentral do not tell me how to react no one is forcing you to respond to us "complainers" but be sure of one thing; Microsoft is hearing us loud and clear while you twiddle your thumbs

Kellzea says:

So i cant tell you how to react, but you can tell me how to react?
You are a dick too.

stumpy1570 says:

Really? Look. I'm also the guy spamming them with how great they are. Even when I thought we were eating shit. If they want to retweet and use my good comments they sure as hell can hear my bad. Sorry if you don't like it.

Smg-Uk says:

Your the type of person who just accepts shit and bends over on demand.

What @ you guys hitting?

El Loco1989 says:

Haha, keep on going man.
It's not that I bought my 920 for AoE or Skype Video messages, but about the horrible message Microsoft is sending out by doing stuff like this.
Also the total silence is annoying as heck when combined with these signals. Are they gonna support windows phone or what? I don't know, all I notice is that they make very little and very slow progres on the OS.

larrybon says:

This announcement is all about the
X-Box, not WP 8 or IOS.

lovebill says:

Calm down guys its just a rumor. AoE rts should be on WP8 by now though. Its one of the best games of all time. It wont be as good with touch controls and small screen but Microsoft could make it decent.  If we see it on ios and no WP then we can tell MS to go ....
I read "i didn't buy WP to play games...to have instagram its sucks, google maps sucks, vine sucks,...but for some of us all these are important.

Thats like Nintendo Wii U losers that say: Hell with Skyrim, hell with GTA V, hell with all AAA titles. I'm happy with Mario.

glassadam says:

Do we even have Age of Empires yet? (too lazy to go search the store)

Dk92 says:

No, it's coming to IOS and Android, while windows phone gets it in the future *sigh*

Hey Microsoft; just saw your Windows commercial between periods for the Stanley Cup Finals. You guys left the part out were if we are dumb enough to buy into your entire ecosystem, you will leave us high and dry, and spend all resources to give everything you should be getting to us, instead to those who didn't support Microsoft and picked iOS over WP. Tell it like it is Microsoft. Bunch of corporate hacks.

procen says:

King Leone's said "This is Sparta" :-P

AaronSmith86 says:

It's dissapointing to see so many comments about jumping ship. I think everyone needs to ask themselves why they chose the platform they did. I can give three specific reasons why I chose Windows Phone over iOS and Android: 1. iOS is a stale, bland, and unappealing platform that's developed by a tax evading company that I have no respect for; 2. Android, while interesting as an open platform, has no true supporting ecosystem and is a bit to fragmented for my liking; 3. Windows Phone as an OS, Ecosystem, and platform is a breath of fresh air when it comes to unifying the computing experience.
As for this decision by Microsoft is concerned. They are foremost a software company, that currently dabbles in hardware. They are doing something I kind of expected and that's finding a way to create revenue streams to continue supporting the products they develop. It also expands the visibility of the majority of their brands, which is very important for this modern day Microsoft. They're redefining their image as company, but not just as a company as a company that now is dedicated to appealing to consumers. No matter what platform you're on.
So, I ask that you please reevaluate your position on leaving the platform, when it's finally starting to grown. Not sure if you noticed, but WP ate at iOS's US (and other markets) marketshare over the last year. People are starting to recognize the platform as a viable option, so we need to be a part of the ecosystem we always knew would be outstanding.

xankazo says:

Agree! It’s a bit of an exaggeration to be talking about jumping ship for a rumor like this. Windows Phone is still growing and we need to give it a chance. I know I am. I’m sticking with Windows Phone till the end. I like what we have and it’s going to get better. Stay focused people!

Because we would rather be catered to by a the company we dump fists full of money at. Not ignored and treated like a bastard, while they kiss the ass of those who bad mouth and trash their products.

nike_ab says:

I agree with your opinion. My reason for choosing this platform is nokia. Now apps+games is an important factor for people to embrace any platform coz apps extends the usability of smartphone and games provide entertainment. Once a platform starts growing it brings more apps and more developers thus extending utility and entertainment factor of smartphone .Now on wp8 what i am realizing is nokia is lifting all the burdens. Microsoft is not only slow in providing updates but also developing for competitors.I agree microsoft as a sofware company has to release for other platofrms too extending it's revenue. But wp8 is already late in this game, first it needs to extend it's user base to 15-20% then microsoft can relase apps and games for other platforms. It's priorty should be to bring exclusive apps and games to attract people from other platforms. But it's doing totally opposite. It's giving them more reasons, not to switch.
That's why I said, I am sad for nokia

In Limbo says:

Well said mate. Although I don't like this decision (purely from the standpoint of a WP fanboy [me]), I agree that it's nothing to switch for. There were plenty of other moved made by Microsoft that are more worthy of criticism. I would never leave this platform . . . it's still relatively young.

procen says:

+810! I'm still buying Lumia 925, it's a beautiful phone.

gevabar says:

Microsoft is a software company!!! They will sell there software to company.....nokia,apple, Samsung...
Etc......this has worked for them with PC.......they will expand as a software company....they don't make phones they sell software

Good...then tell them to come and refund my ass for this Surface and Xbox. I was under the impression they were considered hardware and built by Microsoft...

AfroPhysics says:

We're all jumping to conclusions.  There's been no release information about how or if or when theses titles will make their way to WP.  I'm holding out to see how things go for the Blue update.  If they don't make some fairly significant updates I'll evaluate my options.
It really does seem like MS isn't putting much effort into developing features.  Which is sad, they're so far behind.

So when are they going to announce Halo and Forza for the PS4?

xankazo says:

OK, this report on The Verge speaks more clearly about it, as they seem to have an official voice from Microsoft.
What I get from it is: Don't panic it's no big deal.

tej7 says:

Lol evil m$. Microsoft's recent attempt to acquire Nokia failed .So, i guess they want to still lower the market capitalization of Nokia and buy it at a throwable price

teaMJPx says:

Aww man, iOS is gonna get Halo b4 WP... Just watch... That's bull...

SMMinke says:

As others have hinted at here, this is a Trojan Horse offering by a Microsoft that, though built on making the best business and productivity software, is learning to leverage it's newfound gaming dominance to plant a seed in the minds of Apple and Android users (and developers). It's a long-game play that Microsoft has the funds to play. Frustrating no doubt for all of the Windows Phone folks who can't wait to gain market share, yet extremely important to bring brand recognition to Windows Phone. This is how this plays out: first, some notable XBox titles like "Age of Empires" are ported through Android to iPhone. Users get to experience SOME XBox titles (and maybe even SOME achievements) on their mobile devices. Then some more titles are ported and maybe even some more achievements. Then, the word starts getting out that you can get ALL of the achievements on Windows Phone and Windows 8 (or 9 or 10 by that point). Then, without warning, Halo and Modern Warfare get released exclusively for Windows Phone-- leaving iPhone and Android in unfamiliar "cold" territory. This is not how Rome was built, but rather how it was overthrown. Patience is key, though admittedly it can be incredibly frustrating at times!

xankazo says:

LOL, interesting theory. :)

nike_ab says:

I think the problem is microsoft itself, Microsoft is too big. A smaller company like nokia  knows the importance of exclusive apps and timely updates.If people don't start switching devs support won't come resulting in people leaving platforms.
Sure it won't affect microsoft. Microsoft can even earn revenue from androids from patent deals apart from it's entertainment division, office division, windows division. But what about companies like nokia?

SMMinke says:

Agree about Microsoft being "Too Big" and this Microsoft Partner has seen it play out again and again in recent years. I think Balmer may have woken up and realized the same exact thing, thus talk of "restructuring" by July 1st. Here's what may have happened: Microsoft has spent years floundering in mobile because of a simple belief that people wanted to WORK via mobile. They blindly followed that course. Meanwhile, the average employee wants to PLAY on their mobile devices. As a business owner myself, I actually DO want to work via my mobile devices and thus I've been on Windows Phone from the beginning. However, business owners and management are not nor ever HAVE been the majority. Apple rose to prominence on a platform built on allowing employees to PLAY and PLAY together. For some, PLAY means cooking, photography, travel, sports, movies, music, social, etc. In short, anything BUT work. So, Microsoft may well have realized that they OWN business productivity and the most logical shift is to make inroads in mobile by harnessing their ultimate PLAY tool, namely XBox.

Hmm.. let's see. Will it be Zune or Xbox

ambroShuS says:

seems like profit is the driving force behind every decision instead of being the driving force before behind every logical decision. With news like this, I feel as though I can be the CEO for Microsoft.

OAN: when will the comment section get a "Top Comments/Popularity" type tab?

camptime says:

Ha ha soon we will have an IWinphone.

Congratulations. This is the most hilarious collection of reactions in any comment section of a blog post I think I've ever read since the palmcentral days. Unreal.

Glad we could help, duesch bag....

Ha! Thanks for helping me prove my point!

mateole17 says:

This doesn't send me over the edge or anything but Microsoft clearly just doesn't care about windows phone. At this point I can't really recommend it to anybody. They aren't innovating fast enough. They are already planning the demise of windows phone and are looking past it.

Jim_MAY says:

That's great Microsoft concentrate on Apples IOS and keep leaving us at the back of the bus. Damn Ninny's! Make IOS number one. Damn Jerks!

Spedez says:

To me it looks like that even MS is not taking Windows Phone seriously. How can they hope their customers to take it seriously if they are not all in?

Robot_Man says:

Well good luck MS and their OS, I don't give a damn about this game but I'm sick of ms products being available to others and not us with an MS OS, and I don't care about brand recognasation, in 2 years ppl will know about WP and go for it? what about us? we went for WP7 when no one cared about it, ms killed it, we went for WP8, now what? we are suppose to spend money so in 2 years ppl will know about WP?
MS can call me in 2 years and ask me to switch back to WP.

pr0phecy says:

Don't do it Microsoft, iPhone had it's time, it's time for Windows Phone to shine dammit! When your user base is as large as apple's, you can rethink this plan. Not now! Put the energy to better use by focusing on expanding the WP user base!

Nakazul says:

One step closer to the edge. Stop pushing me away Microsoft!

Nakazul says:

I'm one step closer to the edge. Stop pushing me Microsoft!

nike_ab says:

hahahhaa. But major difference is MS has lot of money while BB doesn't.So they can release the app for revenue, while MS need not

pwrof3 says:

Windows Phone takes another deathblow. Looks like my next phone will be a terrible Android device

Visva27 says:

I will go to ios.......

ivo_apo says:

Shame, but doesn't surprise me. Proof that Microsoft is turning into service company. Future? MS will start sharing/selling anything that will make money. Just look at: Skype, Office, Xbox. These SHOULD BE ONLY ON WP PLATFORM. That's the way to grow market share. That's one of the reason I am with WP.

Pacus1x says:

Yes, is just the AoE game, no other game nor Xbox game are mentioned. And since KLab is a small japanese publisher, is likely the AoE will be a exclusive japanese AoE port for the iOS, since there is almost no WP presence in Japan, this game could help some WP awareness in the country of the Rising sun.
Chill out, don't make a rush assumption about the WP plattaform, but is good to point some issues about MS laziness and how poor is treating the WP division. MS need to wake the f**k up and see that mobile plataform is the future.

DeepK7 says:

Where's Age of Empires for WP8!!!!
I had it on Windows mobile, mainly my daughter loved playing it (when I wasn't).
I have no problem of them porting it to other platforms, just make sure they are available on YOUR platform too (Microsoft)!!!!!!!!! :-)

paulm187 says:

Oh please we get Halo spartan Assault and they get a version of the f2p AoE. Cmon, its hardly a reason to rant.

CobraJ82 says:

Im starting to wonder what privilege am I getting from using windows phone.

Rod Hull says:

This long game argument is becoming a little long in the tooth. If Microsoft were a small startup company with limited resources then I could forgive them for the lack of attention they give the WP platform.

However they are the largest software company in the world with plenty of cash in the bank. They seem happy to spend millions of dollars on advertising but do not invest in the platform. The $100k to app devs is a good start, but it still needs the big hitters. Virtually every review of WP8 and the handsets criticises the scarcity of major apps on the marketplace. I appreciate that for many that isn't important, but if you're trying to woo people over from Android and ios it is very important.

I understand completely why MS are releasing games on other platforms: money. It's just a shame that it shows how little faith they have in the WP platform that they actually have. Age of Empires won't make them a huge amount of cash compared to Office or Skype on iOS and android, but the negative press and feeling generated by this move will hurt WP.

By all means release your IP on the rivals ecosystems, but it should be a given that you release them on your own platform on day one.

If you want to sell your product in which market want to enter first ? where you have 1 billion potential customers or where only 30-40 million,this is business ,you need money for developing games and software .I think this is a really good move from Microsoft ,if you make a lot of money than you can invest in your own Platform ,this is a long term strategy.

nike_ab says:

I suppose microsoft is already making a lot of money.It's time to invest that earned money. I think this long strategy is just an excuse. If microsoft had started investing on forza, halo, gears of wars, fable, full skype integretion, deals with famous game companies, had fully exploited xbox potential, vpn, official apps for (fb,twitter,dropbox,youtube,financial apps, mapping apps) , fixed minor issues(seperate volume profile, rotation lock and few other things) , then by this time wp8 would had 10-15% shares. Now how long it could take for a big company like microsoft. I know i will attract a lot of criticism on this, but hey check blackberry recently launched and have almost all the important apps. It is just that wp7/wp8 is not the foremost priority. If better resources and manpower had been invested with better management then it should had been 10-15%. Plus do not comment on wp8 just 6-7 months old coz microsoft is working on wp since 3 years and 3 years are more than enough for a company like microsoft. Problem is wp doesn't that get that attention and resources.

People buying WP because provide different experience and one of the best hardware "Nokia" + a lot of great apps what you cant find in other platforms for free. ,who the heck buying phones for games ?
In my country (Romania) i see a lot of ads they are promoting WP, we have 3 big carriers and 2 of the biggest have special place for WP don't tel me they are not investing.
I don't understand WP fans ,we want other companies to develop apps for WP but when Microsoft develops for others , all of you loses their minds.

procen says:

I read on the Verge that Microsoft is just licensing out only Age of Empire to Klab. Klab will port the game for IOS and Android, not Windows Phone. People are going crazy about this news.

nike_ab says:

No body has any problem with microsoft developing game for any other platform. But have you seen any apple or google official app here? Is microsoft cash deprived ?
Answer is NO. We just need commitment from MS. MS is slow in delievering updates. MS is not using it's exclusive apps and services to attract new customer for wp8 instead it's releasing those services and apps on other platforms. So why people would switch from ios or android to wp8. Once wp8 is popular and gain around 15-20% MS can release them for other platforms. Right now wp8 is sitting at 4-5%. This makes wp fans angry.

People you need to grow up ,all this thing is about one freaking game !. This is Business not entertainment if you like what you get from Microsoft you stay if not you move. WP has a lot of unique stuff what the rest don't have .

nike_ab says:

You still don't get it. I didn't say anything about any game.And if your so hell bent on any game , you should know halo single handedly change the scenario but I don't want to be in game argument. It's about skype support, it's about smarglass availaibility, it's about office port and finally it's about delay in udpates.It's about all those minor features that community is waiting. It's about xbox brand awareness. It's about commitment. And yes I agree about this, it is about buissness, you can see iphone,ipad, mac buissness today. Where was apple 10 years ago before launch of iphone. Iphone has changed apple's fortune and you know how apple has reached there? ofcouse isheeps or apple users. You know why do they support ios?They have all the good quality apps and exclusive games. So I want exclusive thing to be with wp untill it matures.If microsoft spend millions today in investment, it will earn billions tommorow, it is known as investment. Xbox did the same thing with halo, forza , GOW. Now do u get it?

I am talking about investment, attention, management and exclusiveness to gain user base. Once user base is there devs will follow and user base will grow.

BTW the unique features which you are bragging about are also on IOS. Office, games , skype,lync, smartglass. IOS7 today is redesigned too, so it's no more stale and it IOS has hundreds of quality games and thousands of quality apps which u won't find on wp.

So better, you grow up and don't worry if microsoft continues it's attitude people will leave. 80% people belongs to nokia and it's hardware. So if you are bragging about wp8 share increase recently , then better look at nokia's effort.It's hardware , here suite of services and amazing camera tech. Now I am not against wp , I am just saying that MS is not doing enough.
Better we close this argument now

Technoloay says:

What's the point of doing this and attracting customers from other OSes to windows phone only to realize that they are doomed with WP bugs such as the 'other' category? I think that they should fix the platform before hunting for users.

age of emires to android and ios first and LATER AFTER SO LONG time to wp8 which is their own plafrom.... fuck off microsoft what the hell you are doing?

jlynnm350z says:

If this happens why would anyone switch to Windows? Why would I buy another Windows phone?

Xaphoon148 says:

Wow... thought for a moment I'd done some serious wrong clicking and ended up on The Verge... ;)

stride_time says:

I did not come to wp8 or buy a lumia920 for gaming. I love my hardware from Nokia as much as wp8 itself. What we really need is OS updates to fix simple problems, the. Worry about apps and game titles later

svenkka63 says:

Another nonsense move by Microsoft. How big a hammer is needed to make Microsoft understand what kind of support is needed for their own ecosystem of Windows 8, Windows RT, WIndows Phone and XBOX to have any kind of change in the war of ecosystems.

shaunydub says:

This is stupid, MS are giving up one of the main advantages for WP.
It was bad when they started with Smartglass on other platforms and slowly they are giving up everything.
Soon there won't be much to offer WP owners over Android and iOs apart from the Metro design.
Sure Nokia are pushing with Pureview but besides that the hardware specs which appeal to the more casual customer are too far behind.
This makes me sad.

DaveGx says:

So competition gets it first.....thanks MS for being so great to your loyal customers....

Whaaat? I have sent at least 50 e-mails to Microsoft to tell them they should release games like age of empires exclusively for windows phone 8 and now this?!

Kram Devil says:

I don't really care for this decision but I'm not really that affected by it either.  So IOS and Android is going to get some xbox love, I'll enjoy bashing more friends on my phone then.   But even if they have xbox, even if skype and office are available to them as well.  They will never EVER have a FORTY ONE MEGAPIXEL OIS NOKIA EOS!  When I get my grubby hands on my sweet EOS, I don't think I'll be playing too many xbox games anyway.

nike_ab says:

well sir , that is a feature by Nokia. i agree with you on nokia support even I am a big fan of nokia. But apart from hardware what else nokia can do?Rest depends on MS and I don't see them actively supporting wp8 and indulging required resources

Smg-Uk says:

WTF I am a massive Age Of Empires fan and u would of thought owning a WP and supporting Microsoft was the way to go and it looks like I was completely wrong what I don't get is fine make it for the competition but still bring it out for WP8 I am pissed. Maybe I should bombard them with e-mails!

If this problem still subsists when my 8x dies, I will have to buy an android of iPhone.
The horror!

Miistercoool says:

I feel much better now, after the article was updated! :D

Pages