Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Official Flipkart Windows Phone app updated, adds push notifications and more

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

The Official Dailymotion Windows Phone app is redesigned with the latest update

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Games

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Copy This updated with Windows Phone 8.1 support and Cortana integration

Disney Expedition updated, adds FastPass+ support to the mix

Flipkart eBooks refreshes their Windows Phone app to compete with Amazon Kindle in India

Offline Map data updated for Windows Phone

Zomato gets a major refresh; brings social to restaurant recommendations

Official Facebook beta updates with bug fixes and more reliable notifications

Fhotoroom gets an updated, adds in-app store and new editing tools

Nextgen Reader updated for Windows 8, adds new Feedly Pro features and more

Simple Calendar updated, new Live Tiles added to the mix

Plex for Windows Phone 8 updated, adds Plex Sync to the mix

Russian navigation app, Navitel, gets updated with 3D mapping and more

Games

Trine’s Hangman updated, adds support for multiple accounts and much more

Monster Burner, Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds Space get Windows Phone updates

Monster Burner Windows Phone update

Sometimes when the Xbox Windows Phone title updates rain, they pour. Today is one of those days, as three games from three different publishers just received the update treatment: Ubisoft’s Monster Burner, Halfbrick’s Jetpack Joyride, and Rovio’s Angry Birds Space (Windows Phone 8 version).

Title updates are almost always good news. But in the case of the Monster Burner update, some will consider it a mixed bag. Depending on how far along you are in the game, you might want to avoid it! Find out why after the break.

Monster Burner version 1.1

Monster Burner Windows Phone update Revenge of the Enchantress

At launch, Monster Burner listed a total of four modes for players to unlock. Oddly, only Survival Mode could actually be purchased though. The other modes seemingly appeared on the purchase screen simply to taunt the player.

Well, the update finally makes all three extra modes available for purchase. They cost 25,000 coins apiece. I only had enough scratch in my virtual bank to try “Revenge of the Enchantress.” It plays a lot like Survival Mode – one long, fast moving stage. But it also overflows with princesses, the most dangerous “enemy” in the game. Shoot one by mistake and you’ll lose a unit of health. What’s more, these princesses appear out of nowhere, as if by magic.

Cheat buster

That’s the good news. The bad news is the update also fixes the trick for easily repeating Gold Rush stages. As our “Super-fast coin trick” guide explained, this trick allowed players to repeat Gold Rush stages over and over simply by tapping the Back button after completing the stage. This allowed many players (including yours truly) to bypass the normal 6 hour time restriction on Gold Rush and earn money far faster than otherwise possible.

Post-update, pressing Back at the Gold Rush results screen just takes you back to the main menu. It’s a drag to see the exploit fixed, but also completely understandable. Ubisoft wants to sell players coin packages for Microsoft Points, and they can’t do so much of that if people are cheating!

If you’re inclined to finish Monster Burner’s Achievements in a hurry, I recommend avoiding the update for now. But if you’ve already purchased every upgrade in the game, you might as well grab it so that you can try the new modes. Don’t have the game? Read our review!

Monster Burner – Windows Phone 7 and 8 – 33 MB – 99 cents – Store Link

QR: Monster Burner

Jetpack Joyride version 1.1

Jetpack Joyride Windows Phone 8 update

Near as we can tell, this update consists solely of bug fixes. We’re aware of four bugs that have plagued this game since launch: loss of all coins, all store items temporarily unlocking, the player randomly becoming invisible, and the title screen menu popping up during gameplay (pictured above). Our review goes into more detail on some of these problems.

I would guess the update at least fixes the coin and title screen bugs, but we won’t know for sure until the community plays the updated game more. If you still experience one of the aforementioned issues after updating, let us know in the comments below.

Jetpack Joyride – Windows Phone 8 – 29 MB – FREE – Store Link

QR: Jetpack Joyride

Angry Birds Space version 1.5.2.4

Angry Birds Space

I’m not going to lie to you. I haven’t actually played Angry Birds Space, so I can’t say what has changed in this update. If you guys find any changes, speak up and we’ll update the article.

Update: According to reader KillAchievement, this update adds the new Pig Dipper set of levels and and a different song to the game!

Angry Birds Space – Windows Phone 8 – 19 MB – 99 cents – Store Link

Thanks to Josue Mendez for tipping us on Jetpack Joyride and Angry Birds Space!

QR: Angry Birds Space

Comments

DaveGx says:

Good to see update. Sometimes I wish it were more frequent. Though its annoying to a point on Android. I get updates constantly. Not sure if its just to fix constant bugs or what.

Nimdock says:

I hate princesses!!

benjamouth says:

Ugh, wish I'd read this before updating Monster Burner :(

I usually wait a week or so before updating, just in case of something like this. Also that gives time for user reviews to be inline with the update. To know whether the update causes more/different problems to said app/game. I never update an app just to update it. I've had some updates waiting since February.

ikissfutebol says:

I wouldn't fret. I found I got more coins and a higher score (contributing to the 1,000,000 point achievement) from doing Survival Mode. Maybe I have a terrible strategy, but I think I capped out with a more recent Gold Rush at around 9k coins. My top for Survival Mode is closer to 11k, plus a significantly higher score.

schlubadub says:

Gold-rush is 4-5k in 2 minutes - that's 8-10k with the 2x multiplier. Survival takes 2-3 times longer, is far more stressful, and I typically only end up with 2-3k more gold. Although on some survival levels you have to fight so much just to stay alive that you end up with very little gold at all. I'd much rather play Gold Rush endlessly - especially as it's a lot more fun!

rakesh1995 says:

cinemagrap updated today?

Djal Tropoje says:

Still no love for windows 7.8 :(

Paul Acevedo says:

Monster Burner runs on WP7, and there is a non-Xbox Angry Birds Space for WP7. ~ ~

Djal Tropoje says:

Thank you for telling me that again , cuz i already knew it . My point was "Jetpack Joyride"

Musicman247 says:

How could we miss the name of the game in your post?

Be a little more specific next time and you'll get the replies/info you want.

Paul Acevedo says:

Exactly. Being vague surely has many advantages, but there are some downsides too.

Djal Tropoje says:

I wasnt waiting for a response !

adrian1338 says:

Do you still have no love for windows phone 8

StevenChoon says:

yes,pity the windows phone 7.8

EDDS says:

Good job I thought to check WPCentral before updating Monster Burner :D

Rick Smits says:

I love jetpack joyride.

Musicman247 says:

Started up the game of Jetpack Joyride after updating and the first thing that happened was the start screen menu came up when I changed the volume right after starting a new game.

So that bug hasn't been fixed yet.

Rick Smits says:

Restart the app (game). Fixed it for me.

DJCBS says:

I honestly seldom used the Gold Rush trick. And here's why: you can get way more coins in survival mode (which you can play over and over again) than in the Gold Rush. So don't be all that sad ;)

I was also hoping they added the "mute" controles to the game but unfortunately no...=\

Yes, I was hoping they'd have a mute option as well!

elangab says:

Monster Burner must add mute option... It's unplayable as is...

DreadVenom says:

Engadget also updated. Now videos play with native player rather than Youtube link that's always failed.

Little annoyed about MB cheat fix but i atleast got my 200k coins needed for massive fireball upgrade :)

Bgrubb says:

And Facebook beta!

Arsenic17 says:

So you didn't mention if you can still exploit the time? To bypass the 6 hours that way. Specifically the June 3 2013 glitch?

Arsenic17 says:

In monster burner that is

Paul Acevedo says:

I assume that would still work. Lemme know if it doesn't.

Arsenic17 says:

I assume that it would too, but maybe not. I dont have the game installed anymore. but other wise it really just would add more annoyance to getting the acheiement for maxing out. maybe an extra hour on top of 5-10. not too bad. hahahah developers.

AriesDog says:

Arrr, saw Skylander figures and got excited that Activision finally gave us some love.

ladydias says:

I know, right?

Jetpack Joyride is still buggy... Noticed that my gadgets are what they were a week ago, switched them back, then my clothing is reset, fixing that then resets my gadgets...
That's within the first minute of playing with the update. I'm sure there's more... Oh well. I still enjoy playing it.

Hopefully AB Space fixed the bug with deleting all progress. I had this happen to me twice and I haven't played since.

AB Space changed the theme song on opening and added the Pig Dipper world, that's all I noticed off the bat.

The link for Jetpack Joyride doesn't seem to be working; it links to Monster Burner.

Ronny2756 says:

Um guys I updated jetpack joyride and for some reason I have everything unlocked now lol..

paras chugh says:

The menu pop up still hasn't been fixed.....here's a screenshot: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E5A64580A07F85A5!2215&authkey=!APX...

Spedez says:

Finally some game updates. WP games are updating usually very rarely if at all. Monster Burner update was a let down. Nothing new. Not even new levels.

Paul Acevedo says:

It actually did add 3 unlockable levels, as stated in the article.

Spedez says:

I'm full aware of those 3 unlocked bonus levels which I already unlocked yesterday morning. Those are bonus levels, not real new levels / worlds. I have all the orbs in all the worlds so there is nothing to play with this new patch.

schlubadub says:

Your logic is flawed. Saying there was "nothing new" and then saying you're aware of the 3 new bonus levels contradict each other.
But aside from that, yes there's no further content. I will stop playing completely once I have the final achievement for maxing out all the upgrades.

uselessrobot says:

I was hoping that the Jetpack Joyride update was the same one I just got in iOS. They added new jetpacks, outfits and a new vehicle. I think we're two versions out now from the iOS version.

I wound up getting a huge amounts of coins and everything unlocked in jetpack joyride. Next time I played all was gone and had no more coins, this was 2 days ago.

Squachy says:

PRINCESSES!!!
HATE PRINCESSES!!!!

DJCBS says:

By the way, Angry Birds - Star Wars for Windows 8 was also updated.

Mandos says:

Yes it did. But for me it crashes right after the first splash screen loads.  Is this happening for anyone else?

Fndlumia says:

Had all mentioned bugs on jetpack, seems fixed now

schlubadub says:

I unlocked Spider Lair, and it's full of those fast-moving green spiders (Speederz). No princesses or other monsters... I suggest buying some Slow Potion items, as it can get insanely intense and it's difficult to pick up all the loot and stay alive at the same time!

rynthnyltrr says:

i noticed that the medium size tile of jetpack joyride have sharper image quality than before.. if i'm not mistaken.. :)

So they update Joyride, but not Fruit Ninja :(

GearDoGi says:

Fruiit Ninja is better if HalfBrick re-port it as an WP8 only title like what Rovio did with the Classic Angry Birds
The era of WP7.X is slowly coming to an end!

trurascalz says:

I emailed them a while ago and halfbrick said they will at somepoint

GearDoGi says:

Let's hope "somepoint" means pretty soon and not 2016 and later!

GearDoGi says:

Jetpack Joyride is making my phone incredibly HOT and drains all my battery from 100% to 0% in less than 3hours like shark dash and a few more other apps and games.I ve sent my device for a service through my warranty and the hardware looks ok.So i guess it's all about bugs and bad porting.They my fix this ASAP cause this is causing big problem to many WP8 users!

uopjo6 says:

Jetpack just got buggier.

e1hamz says:

i just want subway surfer

Terrin says:

I was hoping this update would fix monster burner crashing on launch issue