Back up and restore your Start Screen in Windows Phone 8.1

Nokia releases update for Play To, addressing issues with GDR3 Developer Preview

Developers

Nokia pushing out fix for Play To, addresses issues with GDR3 Developer Preview

Developers

Microsoft adds 1080p emulator images to Windows Phone SDK

App Update Roundup: Freddy meets Christmas and Snes8x gets MOGA support

TELUS to roll out Update 3 to Lumia 520, 620 and 1020 in Janurary 2014

Own an unlocked Samsung ATIV S? You're next in line for Update 3

Report: Windows Phone Update 3 enables powered-off charging for the HTC 8X, 8XT

Rotation Lock updated with lens support and custom tile colors

HTC 8X on AT&T joins its International sibling, receives Windows Phone Update 3

Microsoft publishes Update 3 changelog on Windows Phone site

Windows Phone Update 3 now available for the Sprint HTC 8XT

Have Windows Phone 8 Update 3? Rotation Lock lets you pin the setting to your Start screen

DIY: Shortcut Tile for screen rotation toggle in Update 3 for Windows Phone

Developers

Developers: Add custom sounds to your toast notifications with Update 3

Microsoft’s new Driving Mode for Windows Phone featured on NBC’s Today show

Poll: Have you installed Update 3 Preview on your Windows Phone?

Hands on video tour of Windows Phone 8 Update 3

WPCentral News

Poll: What’s your favorite new feature in GDR3 for Windows Phone?

Developers

Video: Microsoft’s Preview for Developers and updating to Windows Phone 8 Update 3

1080P Mockup on Windows Phone

On the horizon: Visual Studio 2013 reveals 1080P Windows Phone 8 emulator files

Windows Phone 8 is reportedly set to go to “full HD” with a 1080x1920 resolution later this year, an update that will come with the GDR3 OS refresh presumably for OEMs.

Now, Justin Angel, who used to work with Microsoft and Nokia, has managed to dig up some emulator files for Windows Phone that coincidentally support that 1080P resolution. The files come by way of Visual Studio 2013, which was previewed at Build last week.

Those files are used by developers for running a “virtual” Windows Phone on their computer, to see how their app or game will look and perform. Emulators support resolutions that they run at, meaning a newly added 1080P skin will allow devs to test at the resolution.

Needless to say, this is just further confirmation that hardware vendors will be able to make new Windows Phones with 1080P displays later this year and developers will have the tools to update their apps.

Source: Twitter

1080p emulator in VS2013

Comments

That's a sharp development.

rodneyej says:

Old news, not surprised.. So, I've know for a while now that Nokia is working on a quad core 1080p phone, and if you haven't guessed that Samsung will make a GS4 version then you've been living under a rock.. Coming just in time for the holiday season, they will be.. Maybe even the suspected WP version of the HTC One will join the party to.. This is pretty much your next generation lineup guys.... But, once again we have a lot of recycled hardware to choose from.. I'm confident that Nokia will deliver, but I already am expecting more from the others,, as usual.. Nevertheless, this bore, and predictability might be a sign of WP going mainstream.. Now all we need is for the WP devices to appear six months earlier, with the other guys, to close the gap on competiveness..

dreamfly says:

So true.  LATE is always associated with the Windows phone team.  I suspect there is no plan whatsoever to increase the resolution until Android did it and HTC threaten to once again abandon the windows phone.  Whoever is at the helm of windows phone should really be replaced with a visionary instead of an Apple follower.

blackprince says:

Who will have the first 4K phone I wonder?

rodneyej says:

It'll probably go 2k first.. There's a rumored Sony phone with a 20mp camera and the first 4k video.. Not sure what kind of screen it has folks... I hope scientists are working on better battery technology because Ultra High Definition screens are coming to smartphones.. And, Smartphone's are getting much bigger... Like Sony's awesome new 6.3 inch phone.. Man, I pray that Sony starts making WP devices.. I really like the way they do things.

vish2801 says:

Simply hand over WP development to Nokia, throw all the money to develop it and just see how much wonders this platform can do.....

rodneyej says:

I don't agree.. I would rather MS try to work harder to $onvinc$ the others to clean up their act.. I would like to see high quality devices from HTC, Samsung, Sony, Fujitsu, LG, Nokia, Huawei, ZTE, Alcatel, and.. at some point MS.

StevieBallz says:

If you look at the development of MeeGo and Symbian you really don't want Nokia to be in charge of OS development. Sometimes they were years late in delivering updates.

Kellzea says:

Y u mad bro?

rodneyej says:

❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❓

Rishicash says:

Ultimately, Balmer is responsible. He should have been axed a few years ago.

Paul Kinslow says:

HTC One Win will be a nice addition to the lineup.

pulkit10 says:

While I wholeheartedly agree that the platform needs to leapfrog the competition in terms of adding new features and innovation, there's also the aspect that the fragmentation within Windows Phone and the quality of the product cannot be minimzed. The biggest criticism of Android is that it is fragmented to death and the quality suffers because you have a very fast moving development division that adds new features and releases new versions of Android every 6 months but all that innovation hardly trickles down to the end user that has already bought into the platform. The point is, there needs to be a balance between innovation and quality and unfortunately, that means that Windows lags behind Android in this regard.
That said, however, it is important to keep adding hardware features to attract consumer interest and I would very much appreciate it if Microsoft acted on this faster. If it were up to Nokia, their Lumias would already be running 8 cores - that's the kind of pace Microsoft needs to show. If it can't put resources into the platform, they won't see the growth.

rodneyej says:

Yep, Yep, Yep❕❗❕

StevieBallz says:

Nokia has a track record of rather underspeccing their phones. It might have changed with WP but all in all I don't think Nokia would have released higher specced devices.

dreonedon says:

Looks very good

Kormiko says:

If you're talking about the phone screen... then no, it doesn't.  It looks way too cluttered.  I'm all for having 1080p displays, but presenting that home screen to potential consumers is a turn off, imho.

topleya says:

Agreed, too much

theefman says:

Good thing all WP screens don't have to be configured that way, isn't it?

Jazmac says:

What theefmam said.

RayWP7 says:

Are you saying everybody doesn't have to have the same fixed number of tiles or same tiles sizes configured on their home screen?  :P

Kormiko says:

Yes... I know you can configure it better.  I'm just saying it looks horrible the way it's presented.  People do look at these photos when making their buying decisions.  These tiles look like they were put together at random.  And why are there two Internet Explorer tiles, two messenger tiles, two phone tiles...?

My guess on the duplicate tiles: Large device, small icons. They are on either side so you can easily reach those applications with either hand?

peterfares says:

Because this is just something some random internet dude threw together? Obviously Microsoft's own advertisements would have far fewer tiny tiles if they were to add more columns. Maybe just 1 group of 4 small tiles to show that they're available.

metrop021 says:

They'll probably add a 'large' tile like they did in Windows 8.1, then the more tile space will make sense.

DreadVenom says:

I actually liked it.

AndyGriff says:

I agree, it's horrible. I don't think having such a prominent accent colour helps. Something more Windows 8-like would work better at that size.

Skittledude says:

I actually think it looks amazing. If it does look to,, cluttered, you might be able to rearrange it until you feel it is more organized. Opinions differ I guess.

frugo says:

I second that, I would love to see this getting real, more more more tiles otherwise what's the point of having 1080p for that two raws we get now 720p is enough.

Also, if these "tiles" get small enough, they start to look like the icons of old, which is what Android and iPhone have been doing.  I think putting too many "tiles" on the screen loses the competitive edge that Microsoft enjoys with their tile technology.

dreonedon says:

To me it looks alot better than how my 920 looking if I had that it wouldn't look that clustered and its fine to me as I said before alot of people will like it I feel it.

nizzon says:

Agreed. If MS really is going for more tiles I hope it get added as an option. Looks terrible,

Mingu7 says:

The picture shown in this article is a fan mockup.  1080p screens are rumored to only be targeted to 5-inch and higher "phablet" models.

So the extra tiles should be finger friendly on the larger screen.  And I don't think the extra tiles layout has been confirmed either.

eddieDOTexe says:

That's what I thought about WP8 upon its official unveiling.

xpxp2002 says:

Me too. And I still feel that way.

eddieDOTexe says:

It really grew on me.

jlynnm350z says:

We already know this. . . We don't need proof. We believe you.

Actually, some of us do prefer proof ;)

Chris_Kez says:

Very glad to see this proof, such as it is. But really, couldn't you have skipped the screen-shot concept image? It just drags down the comments section as people run off to attack or defend a layout that *does not exist*, burying the lead (or in this case the whole story).

Proof what's that? After all everything on the internet is true.

NIST says:

Think of it like an early pregnancy test.

Kellzea says:

Look up "science", and then "journalism" on Wikipedia.

marantaz says:

I love Mondays on WPCentral! So much good WP/W8 news!

rodneyej says:

You damn right sucka❕❗❗..

Mohan Raj K says:

I already seen on my VS 2013 (27/06/2013) :) :)

NIST says:

Me too. Victoria Secret 2013!!! Swim suit edition.

rodneyej says:

Oh yeah baby✔✔✔✔✔✔✔

Jeff Kibuule says:

I used to think that 1080p screens on a phone were nonsense, but after using the HTC One for a while, they really do bring an added benefit to the OS.

rodneyej says:

I said that I can see a difference but everyone jumped on me like im the other Rodney.... King.

Kellzea says:

I did a side by side with my friends gs4, running the same 1080p video.

You can most definatly see a difference, the gs4 does however seem to blue things out, but its much crisper.

We both came to the conclusion that its swings and roundabouts. His gs4 was crisper, my 920 had better colour representation.

To say there is no difference is silly, to say the difference is earth shattering is also silly.

rodneyej says:

Yes❕ That's exactly right. I did the same comparison in the store, and I didn't see imperfections in my screen until I put it next to the GS4 screen.. I saw exactly what you did. The 1080p screen was sharper, but our 768p screen had much better colors, and was much brighter.. And I'm not being biased when I say "much"... The store associate even agreed that overall the 920's screen was superior... That's what excites me about the idea of a Nokia device with a 1080p screen.. If Nokia can provide a 768 screen that looks better than most competitors 1080p screens,, then how good will Nokia's 1080p screen be... And, like I said before folks, I wasn't being biased. The IPS screen on the 920 does look better than the GS4's screen.. Now, has anyone compared the amoled screens of the 928/925 to the GS4's 1080p screen❔

vish2801 says:

Great, expecting more from GDR 3. :)

sasukeluffy says:

Wow, that Nokia phablet just looks so cool.. I want! Wish that would be a real one..

Skittledude says:

I think that's just a Lumia 920 running at someone's interpretation of what a 1080p resolution on WP would look like.

toph36 says:

I think the phone is a Lumia 920, so it is not a "phablet".

psamf24 says:

Yea Monday monday so good to me..... this reminds me of mamas and the papas

Musicman247 says:

Where is the headline picture from? That layout looks very nice.

Mingu7 says:

it's a fan mockup.

1080p screens are rumored to target larger phones only. 5-inch or higher.

I don't care about 1080p much since smartphones are so small id be happy with more tiles though :)

j_jabbar says:

Looks like a mess.....

Micah Dawson says:

What phone is that

A_K_T says:

Definately support the increased tile options...

terrokkinit says:

But it's so pretty!! I want! :-D

Tman596 says:

How am I supposed to get my large fingers to tap those tiny tiles? I can't see myself using the small tile size anymore.

tgr42 says:

That's why they offer multiple sizes.  So you can choose the one that works best for you.  Too small?  Choose a larger size.  Of course, if they don't have enough size options, that could be a problem.  But they're smarter than that, right? :)

Tman596 says:

Yep, having different tile sizes is definitely a luxury. I agree with you though. I think Microsoft is smart enough to make more tile sizes, so you can choose if you want 4 or 5 rows of tiles. I think 6 rows is just too much.

Pontifex says:

Seriously? Why not the same ratio as 800x480 and 1280x768?

Bob Shiska says:

Because WP8 already supports 1280x720? 8X, ATIV S...

Pontifex says:

True but almost noone have those compared to the others.

Verkunder says:

Can't wait to buy my Lumia 1080 at the end of the year, yuk yuk.

Full HD 1920x1080 => Lumia 1920

steve_w_7 says:

What are the hardware limitations for GDR3 refresh?  Will it work on the 928 or 925, for example?

Bob Shiska says:

It's an update to WP8, and as such will work on all WP8 phones. New hardware support obviously requires new hardware, though.

Kellzea says:

Are you asking if a software update will turn your 720p phone into a 1080p phone?

No mate. It wont.

StevieBallz says:

There are no known limitations. It seems that the 3 columns of medium sized tiles will only appear on devices at or above 5" screen size. So you will receive GDR3 on the 928/925 but you won't get the added column.

IamDefiler says:

Would've prefered just one extra row of small tiles totalling 5 small tiles across.
I know we can change the tiles but this really does look like a mess.

iamstevie says:

I actually really would like an extra column of tiles, the more information being shown the better! I don't even think it should require 1080p... 720 should be enough (providing your eyesight is good enough!).   Having said that..... @Daniel am I correct in saying that the photo of the live tiles is just a mockup?  There's been no confirmation yet that 1080p screens will include an extra column of tiles?

Musicman247 says:

Photo is a fake, guys, just put up as a "what if?" It's a Nokia with the HTC Sense clock. Think before you post.

NIST says:

With all that mess happening on the home screen, there are no people in the people hub.

uselessrobot says:

I hope tile count is related to physical screen size and not resolution alone. That mockup looks absolutely terrible. The point of higher resolution screens is that you get cleaner images and greater detail, not that you can cram more crap onto a screen.
Want to reinforce the antequated notion that all things Microsoft are cluttered and unintuitive? Show them that screen.

NIST says:

Like the person who saves everything to the desktop.

b3rni3703 says:

AWWWW SHIT! = )

Adretheon says:

Trying to look at all those tiles makes my head hurt...

jhoff80 says:

The only way I'd be buying that would be if it included a Wacom pen and a port of the WinRT version of OneNote, but I'm sure there are others interested in this.

polychromenz says:

That WOULD be AWESOME I would love onenote with a wacom pen. Im pretty sure wp9 will be essentially WinRT so anything is possible.

Credo93 says:

FHD is 16/9 right? Will there also be a 15/9 aspect ratio?
Greetzz.

1280x768
as you can see from the VS 2013 screen snapshot...

1920x1200 or more/less? (1920 x 1152)

This is just a sample image, so don't get all riled up.

jonharrell says:

Do you think there will be an option where you could switch to 1080p on current devices kinda like you would on your desktop resolution? Or are displays like the Lumia 920 not able to "switch" to that?

J88NY R says:

No, there would be no reason for a company to advertise a phone at 720p or 768p and put a better screen in at more cost.

pmhgeneral says:

So are we going to get the clock feature?

It looks Awesome!

Blu3V3nom07 says:

That would be crazy! I think I might wait a little longer to get one of those 1080p phones! :D

futurix says:

Good to see they decided not to continue with 720vs768 madness for full HD resolutions!

travisel says:

Can't wait to see the new ATIV S2.

I don't like that home screen, not even a bit. Messy.

lubbalots says:

Depends on how you setup your tiles. I think that home screen looks fine to me. With a fifth row, adds more customization options and adding background wallpaper be nice though large tiles would cover it. Though idea I have, everytime we do anything with for example move or tap a tile, or scroll up or down, tiles become transparent. Who knows, all this wallpaper thing may just add clutter.

TechFreak1 says:

It may be messy to you and not to others, its upto you how you set up your homescreen none of us are confined to have only 3 small tiles on one row for example. More customisation options = more flexibility.
A wallpaper may or may not add clutter depends how you lay it out, a person's creativity is only limited by their imagination and the tools they have at the thier disposal.

Vheissu says:

Cool story, when will HTC start complaining the WP doesn't support 4k resolution.

ejlee072006 says:

Oh yeah bring me the EOS

tpitts15 says:

Seriously though, my home screen is going to take days to arrange. Already on windows phone 8 if I decide I want a new layout it can take me upwards of an hour to get everything into another good looking, functional arrangement. This is not a complaint by the way; this is a comment on how much I enjoy the level of customizability of our OS.
My rule of thumb on arranging tiles is to put no more than 4 small tiles in a grid before breaking them up with a medium tile. Otherwise it gets cluttered looking. But that's just my opinion. To each their own - something you can't say to somebody with an iphone (arguably android devices too, but I find it hard to argue that they aren't customizable with the thousands of different ROMs floating around).

TechFreak1 says:

Damn dude, you seriously have heck load of tiles pinned lol. I Currently have only 24 small tiles pinned and these are what I use day in - day out.

Cellus13 says:

Good happy now? Now please focus on more innovative hardware.

DamoDynamo says:

I think I could get used to the new layout and surely there are a few advantages of such solution especially for someone like me having loads of apps on my device. Simply, I like keeping them grouped into clusters based on the purpose they serve, ie office, multimedia, hobby, connecting etc. Maybe some of you find it a heretic idea but for me it would do a much better job having multiple screens to scroll across rather than more tiny icons...

StevieBallz says:

You could use an App like Tilemark to group your clusters and add Headlines to them, similar to how it works on Win8.

Comon...

•1920x1080
•Aluminum/magnesium
•super thin
•quad core
•wireless charging
•X86 processor based on haswell

Make me happy OEM's, make me happy...

Zeroplanetz says:

You forgot 3 more additions to that list. 1 - at least 64gb versions or micro SD support, 2 - micro hdmi out, 3 - at least 2 gigs of ram.

heelo says:

Feel like they need to move away from the monochrome color scheme, and add a feature that automatically creates some variation.

Heresy64 says:

I'd love to know where they got the clock live tile for a Nokia phone. As far as I know, it does not exist, not for Nokia phones.

karl11 says:

The screen must be larger to fit the extra row of tiles.

So just to get this straight it a new series of phones or an HD resolution update?

StevieBallz says:

The next update will allow for new Hardware with higher resolution screens. A 720p screen won't ever turn into a 1080p screen.

tonyluo2001 says:

From the look of this phone, I don't like 1080P. The Start screen is so crowded.

dinod says:

...what I want to know is when / why Justin left Nokia.

Lenn Liggins says:

Can't wait to see it in person.

Betomann says:

I see WP like a fat kid, always is the last one but tries to catch up with the athletes.

XboxOmac says:

I tipped this. Lol

alptibet says:

a 5 inch full hd WP would be fantastic...that device in the picture looks cool btw, hell yes