The WPCentral app for Windows Phone gets 1080p support

Get the WPCentral app FREE for 36 hours in partnership with myAppFree!

More reports of changes to Cortana suggests a Microsoft update is inbound

Official WPCentral patch 4.4.20 now available

Official WPCentral app updated with bug fixes

WPCentral Official App update

Games

Rail Rush celebrates Easter with the latest update

Microsoft Store giving away $100 credit; simply trade up your Windows XP dinosaur (US and Canada Only)

Starbucks US claims that something is ‘in the works’ for Windows Phone

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Windows 8 app update roundup: Music, Video, and Evernote receive new features and performance tweaks

Microsoft to fix Internet Explorer vulnerability along with other system exploits next week

Software

Office 2013 receives Service Pack 1 - includes major bug fixes and minor tweaks

Xbox

Microsoft is inviting gamers to preview the next Xbox One update – you could be one of them

Xbox

How to fix the Xbox One black screen of death (and it's only temporary)

Developers leak Windows Phone 8.1 SDK, reveal new features

Official WPCentral apps updated today with fixes and new features

WPCentral News

The WPCentral app is the #1 New & Rising app in the US, big update inbound

Latest Instagram update sneaks in notification support on the Lock screen

Pepper for Windows Phone updated with general fixes; get involved to add your local venues

Hold the call as Skype for Windows Phone 8 gets updated with general improvements

One more time: We're tuning up our official WPCentral app again

wpcentral app v4.3

Apparently Microsoft aren't the only ones with a new rapid release cycle! Somehow today I get to announce a third update to the official Windows Phone Central app in the same number of weeks. Before anyone gets too excited though, this one is just a quick tune up to the v4.3 feature set, fixing two important bugs and finally bringing forum likes to Windows Phone 7 users.

Yes, we figured out why the Tapatalk API wasn't allowing the WP7 build to send like requests in our forums and that has now been resolved. Still, this isn't the most exciting update, but you can find the change list after the break or download from the marketplace right here (it should be showing up as version 4.3.15).

Changelist

• Fixed a bug with images not display when using medium or low quality
  • Fixed YouTube video discovery failures
  • Added forum likes for WP7 users

As always, get in touch through the comments, forums or through the app’s feedback functionality and let us know your opinions, comments and suggestions! We won't be adding any new features for a while though, time to get serious on development for another platform.

QR: wpcentral

Comments

enthuz says:

I just want to say that I am loving the WPCentral app! I'm using it constantly and it is the last thing I read before I go to sleep. Keep up the good work guys/gals.

venetasoft says:

And the first when I wake up too, I read somewhere this could be a (wpcentral ?) dependency problem, but don't care ;)

Gergolos says:

+1 !!!!

Awesome work, Jay

Uhuuuu, Windows 8/RT is coming!!!! :)

troylytle says:

Please Jay! This is all that's missing on my tablet.

Jaskys says:

With live tiles and notifications when something new comes out please!

xankazo says:

Really? WPCentral has become BY FAR my most used app in Windows Phone 8. I'd love to see it on Windows 8/8.1 soon! I imagine it on 8.1 with a Large Tile! :)

aaa6112 says:

Rapid release, rapid release, rapid release!

TechAbstract says:

Gels, gels, gels!

jlynnm350z says:

Maybe you could teach Microsoft how to update 3weeks in a row.

wpguy says:

Yay! Always good to see continued work on the app. Thanks for all the work you put into it.

nez99 says:

Hanging out for windows 8 app!

Sergio0694 says:

I have a problem: the double wide flip tile loads images in low-res, and only updates with high quality pictures after I open the app, wait for it to load and then go back to the start screen. Is it normal?

Jay Bennett says:

Yeah, we have to use the lower res one to keep background task memory usage down, otherwise the whole thing breaks!

Sergio0694 says:

Ok, I was just wondering that, thanks :)
I have an idea though. Right now you use this method to use a small amount of data: the app downloads the low-res image, then crops it to fit the double wide tile. This way a large area of the image itself gets wasted.
If the app downloaded a server-side cropped image, with the exact dimensions that it gets in the double wide tile (the two versions: one for 1280*720 phones, and another for 1280*768 phones), it would be able to use the high-res image, with the same amount of data used. I mean, that's because it wouldn't waste all the area that is downloaded but actually cropped.
This is just an idea, what you think about it? :)

Jay Bennett says:

Funnily enough, we do that, we download a cropped image from the server. If we took the full image the background task would never survive!

blackhawk556 says:

Hey Jay, if I click on a notification from the app, it takes me straight to the story. Why though, doesn't it give me the option to go back to the apps home page from that article? I have to get out of the app, and click in the tile in order to go to the start screen. This is so annoying.

aerosmillie says:

+1 same thing with whatsapp

Jabid21 says:

As always, app launches faster. :p

misfitpierce says:

The app seems to have just the slightest stutter sometimes when scrolling down in the main feed or homepage of the app where the news is. Not sure if anyone else has seen this but its there even when I restart and only open this app. Its not a huge stutter thing and doesn't bother me much but thought id point it out. I'm on a Nokia Lumia 810 so the hardware shouldn't be the issue.

guidorobben says:

Have the same problem. I am using a omnia7.

misfitpierce says:

Good to know its not just me then. Its not annoying like I said but I do notice it. Still can't say its not a great app regardless tho.

kaynachtsman says:

Jay when do you sleep? :) But keep up the great work :)

mikroland says:

What other platform is it time to get serious on??

aaa6112 says:

ummm....Windows8.1

polychromenz says:

Great to see a change log Jay - if only everyone was as transparent. When will big companies realise that hiding problems only makes them look worse.

danielgray says:

Bug where live tile does not refresh count to zero after reading. Have to open app twice.

Jay Bennett says:

Happens if you exit the app before the news refreshes. Unfortunately it's less a bug and more a requirement, otherwise the black tile issue becomes much much worse!

Chris_Kez says:

Any chance you can change the "like" icon to a smiley face or something? You guys are great and all but I just can't bring myself to say "Wow, I really 'heart' your comment" and not feel like a tittering little schoolgirl. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jay Bennett says:

It matches our forums website, so it'll be staying like that for now :)

aaa6112 says:

Jay, when I receive an email that somebody has replied to a post of mine, and I click on the link that is supposed to open the WPCentral app and take me straight to that comment, nothing happens. When I click on it, the link just gets highlighted in grey, that's all, it doesn't open the WPCentral app.

Jay Bennett says:

Are you definitely clicking on the app link? Not the one above it? It works on all of my Windows Phone 8 devices (won't work for WP7)

aaa6112 says:

Yes, I'm clicking the one that says "App (if installed)". Weird! L920.

Jay Bennett says:

Not sure what to tell you there, works on every device I've tested and it's the mail app's job to highlight it...

aaa6112 says:

Hmm...I'll try a few things, including uninstalling /re-installing the app.

aaa6112 says:

Tried reinstalling the app, still doesn't work. This is how the link shows up in my email: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2D5B842E2667B4AA!1804&authkey=!ADV...
Doesn't seem to be highlighted by default. It does get highlighted to grey when I click it though. But the app isn't launched :(

Jay Bennett says:

Strange, the mail app should be highlighting that for you. Not sure why it's not

aaa6112 says:

Is there any formatting change you could do? I forwared that email (to myself) and noticed that the link does show up highlighted in the forwarded email. The forwarded email has some formatting changes, which is the reason why I was asking you if any formatting change could be done? Should I share the snapshot of the forwarded email where the link IS highlighted?

aaa6112 says:

Here's a snapshot of the email I forwarded myself. There are some formatting style changes, and the app link is highlighted here. http://sdrv.ms/19S7KIr

asdai says:

Thanks, Jay!  I'll take frequent updates over slow or overdue updates any day!

Residing says:

I don't think I've been so excited to give up $0.99 + tax!  Thank you, Jay for providing my most wanted feature - 'Likes' work perfectly :)

schlubadub says:

+ tax? O_o In Australia it's $0.99 including tax - all prices must include 10% GST. I'm surprised it would be added at the end

Just got the app... well worth a buck.

cdbstl76 says:

As time goes on, you'll see its worth more. This is the BEST site for all things WP, and a little W8.

Chris Yahya says:

Only one thing : make it free. (impossibru advice)

TechTick says:

This is not a free app?

Jay Bennett says:

Do you work for free? We provide the trial which will never expire but with adverts displayed at the bottom. Then if you want to remove those ads, you can upgrade

TechTick says:

Then why provide free access to website content?

Jay Bennett says:

We provide free access through the trial. But there is a lot of work that goes into the app, so we need to recoup that investment either through purchases (it's like a lifetime subscription to a magazine) or through advertising. It's entirely your choice which way to go.

misfitpierce says:

I agree with them, this app should not be free with as much work as they put into it and as updated as it keeps me. Its only a dollar I think I paid and that's nothing for what this app has offered me. Keep up great work devs.

Sometimes when I exit from the app, the live tile crashes.

Jay Bennett says:

Unfortunately that can happen, simply because of the custom live tile we use. If you'd prefer a more stable tile experience, switch to the iconic live tile.

schlubadub says:

What's the cause of this error, that I seem to get semi-regularly (always using WiFi):
Network Error - could not connect to wpcentral.com: an exception occurred during a webclient request.

Jay Bennett says:

It means that for whatever reason, the app couldn't reach the site. Usually either the request timed out, or connection to the internet was not possible.

jlynnm350z says:

You guys are so good to me

NightWatch71 says:

Developers, developers, developers!

the_fly68 says:

Nokia Lumia 900 user here. I've been having fits with the standard size live tile for a few updates now. Live tile does not work and keeps resetting its settings. Accent color within the app keeps resetting itself to default accent color.