Assassin's Creed II on deck as the next Xbox Games with Gold special

Assassins Creed II

If you're an Assassin's Creed fan and an Xbox Live Gold member, you'll want to keep an eye on the calendar. Assassin's Creed II will be the next game featured on Xbox Live's "Games with Gold" program.

Assassin's Creed II normally runs 1600 Microsoft points (about $20) but between July 16th and 31st, you can download it for free with your Gold Membership.

We mentioned it with the Xbox 360 Ultimate Game Sale but the current "Games with Gold" title is Defense Grid: The Awakening.  Defense Grid is available as a free download through July 15th to Xbox Live Gold members.

You can find all the details on the "Games with Gold" program here at Xbox Live.

Source: Xbox Wire; Thanks, Rat, for the tip!

Comments

First, second, or third!

I Spiritus I says:

You are awesome.

Piro.Garay says:

I would say 1st...

blackhawk556 says:

You're the first, second, and third bitch to reply.

I Spiritus I says:

The best AC game to date in my opinion!

exyaster says:

Personally I prefer brotherhood. I think it was more open-ended than AC2 or Revelations. Still. Ezio is the best Assassin.

Ready to try it out. Only ever played the first AC. Didn't like the time period they changed to and switching to a different assassin. But I'm over it now and willing to try this out, for free that is.

Thank you for posting this article IV been asking around about when this month this game will be free iv still never played it before

I bought this for 800 or so points a few months ago with the last sale..... and I haven't played it... LOL

What a waste of money.... hehe....
I hope to get Halo 3....but i'm so bad on FPS for consoles....

R0bR says:

Me too, still good game for the price though.

Nakazul says:

Keep training and you get there. "-Practice makes perfect" :)

Try battlefield 3

+1 to Battlefield 3

Quin 2013 says:

Battlefield 3 is the best multiplayer EVER!

Wael Hasno says:

Keep up the good work with those sales. Currently downloading my $15 copy of Assassin's Creed III.

sasukeluffy says:

Yeah, been waiting for this. Already played all AC's through on my PS3, but now I want to do it again on XBOX :) Never finished AC1 though, it's just so awful. Tried it on PS3 and tried it again on X360, it just sucks.. Anyways, now I have AC1 & AC3 on X360, just AC2 for free, AC:B for 15€ and AC:R for 20€ (both from XBL) and I'm good to go.

Stevied1991 says:

I have tried to get through the first about 4 times. It is not happening.

I have gold but not for my country(there is no xbox live support for it). I can't download any of these games, download stops at 80%...i hate it!

I would hate that too.

Wael Hasno says:

This is messed up. :/ Best of luck to you.

Get a VPN. Install it on your PC, get a 2nd NIC, connect the xbox to the 2nd networkd card and enable internet sharing.
I recommend CyberGhost as the best VPN service/software.
That is the way I got to download many of the games on the last massive sales.

Quin 2013 says:

That's sucks! Sorry dude, I hope it ends up working for you in the future.

Capsloc says:

Post the US link lol.
You guys got the Canada link :P

punkJD says:

I wasn't able to download fable due to my region i think, but yesterday i downloaded defense grid and It worked, so i just hope i also can download AC2.

Quin 2013 says:

Yeah, I also got defense force as well. Haven't played it yet.

myjota says:

Yeeeeeeeee

Great game I love it

As soon as I found out that AC2 was going free I sold my disc copy. I also purchased AC3 for $15 yesterday- not bad :-)

Kevin Joel says:

Not my kind of game. I do HALO and HALO only

hauz_20 says:

That's unfortunate; you're missing out on a lot of excellent games.

AriesDog says:

For future free Gold games, hoping they have a chart of high rated but for some reason low selling games that deserved a bigger audience. Blur would be a good choice.

schlubadub says:

You're right, it's a deadly assassin weapon disguised as a fan!

Free?? I'm on one!

jchapman01 says:

I've never played an Assassins Creed game. I'll give it a try.

Nik Rolls says:

If you're a fan of awesome, you will not be disappointed.

Quin 2013 says:

+1000000000000!

blackhawk556 says:

I have a problem. I only have the 4gb xbox and only about one gig left. When I tried to download a previous free game I didn't have enough space. Will I be able to "buy" it for "free" from the Xbox website and download it later once I update the hard drive? Thanks

Nik Rolls says:

If the website allows you to buy it for free then yes, but if not (it didn't for me) then you need to do it via the console. And the console won't let you buy it if you don't have enough space. But you can plug in a hard drive or USB stick for up to 32GB more space if you need it for this download, and then delete it after if you need the space back.

Nik Rolls says:

Currently rocking a $1/month Gold membership, loving these benefits!

Quin 2013 says:

What? $1 a month gold? How in the hell did you get that?

Nik Rolls says:

It was just showing on Xbox.com one day when I logged in. I had recently let my Gold membership lapse but I snapped this up. I thought it would just be a one-month thing and go back to the usual price after that, but so far it's remained at $1 ...

Quin 2013 says:

Wow...freaking lucky!!!

Hum, I love this game, I love this site and I check it twice a day, but when I come to WPCentral I expect WIndows Phone related news. Reading the title I thought ACII was out for Windows Phone.

DavidinCT says:

Too many games too little time....  Never played a AC game due to other games I am playing (I play so much I have to say NO to some series because there is just not enough time), I guess I will try it to see if I really "HAVE TO PLAY" it....

Add it to my list of 20ish games on the 360 alone I need to finish up :(

Quin 2013 says:

Dude, once you start with AC 1, you'll never want to get off it and you'll get the other two.

Quin 2013 says:

I think you get a different game if you already have AC II. I downloaded something else for free, which is great because I would feel cheated if they didn't offer a different game to me.

Lane White says:

Unforunately, I've only played AC III. I will be getting AC II, as I expect it to be good. I downloaded Defense Grid, and it's surprisingly good. 100 points if you get that reference.