Viber update brings Windows and Windows Phone 8 closer together

Viber's 2.3 adds some new features and performance enhancements

Viber, the messaging app that lets you text, group message, and make free HD calls, just got updated to version 2.3 for Windows Phone 8. The desktop application for Windows was also updated, allowing it to better integrate with Windows Phone.

Talmon Marco, Viber's CEO, spoke of the company's latest move:

We have focused on bringing Viber to multiple platforms, ensuring our users can communicate freely with as many of their friends as possible. Today we are very happy to bring important updates to two of those platforms, ensuring full compatibility between the Windows Phone and Desktop versions of Viber.

In addition to the tighter integration between desktop and mobile versions, Viber's latest patch serves up sticker and emoticon functionality, as well as some other features. The new desktop version also gets full group messaging support, better pop-up notifications, the ability to see when someone is typing, and a redesigned conversation list.

Viber boasts over 200 million registered users and has seen a surge since coming to Windows Phone, seeing 500,000 user downloads every month.

Viber is free for both Windows and Windows Phone 8.

Source: Viber; Via: TheNextWeb; Thanks for the tip, Nawzil!

QR: Viber

Comments

Dante X says:

And what about Whatsapp??

Vb2012 says:

Lol i knew someone would ask :P

AhmedAtef says:

Looks like they forgot that they have a messy app on WP :(

Vb2012 says:

Messy yu mean crappy -_-

Vb2012 says:

But yes im also waiting i cant understand it why is it taking so fkning long ??

rAj06 says:

What's app? I guess we just need to keep waiting forever...

Vb2012 says:

Im still waiting whatsapp

Vb2012 says:

Do you how how its like when u choose a fkn emoticon and it comes out different not cool !!!

Vb2012 says:

Whatsapp ill rape u if u dont gime tht update xD

Vb2012 says:

Lol i send a excited face and then something else comes out its fuctup man !!

sarim_xyz says:

Does Viber support video calls too? And I mean on Windows Phone.

sepatown says:

It only supports video calls on the desktop version. No mobile platform has video calls yet.

ahmedjan87 says:

And its still beta on the desktop

pr0phecy says:

Seriously, I'm having ALOT of issues with Whatsapp lately... The same messages I keep receiving double, and from an hour ago, my messages won't send immediately... Is very crappy. Waiting like forever for that promising Whatsapp update! Oops sorry bout my rant, we should be talking about Viber :)

livejazz says:

Horrible reviews for Viber in the Windows 8 store

sepatown says:

There's no Viber in the Windows 8 Store. I'm guessing you mean Windows Phone Store.

livejazz says:

OMG!!!! Huge news!!! When did the Windows Store on Windows 8 go away?!?!?! Someone needs to report on this huge news! Last article was that Microsoft had passed the 100,000 app mark. And I'm looking at Viber on the "Windows Store" on my Windows 8 Pro 8.1 Dell Latitude for $4.99 with two reviews.

sepatown says:

Interesting. I don't see it at all. Is it an official app. Since it's free everywhere else

livejazz says:

Good point. Published by BA Media in the Windows Store

livejazz says:

Article says free in the Windows Store. I'm running 8.1 Pro Preview. Maybe just RT? That doesn't make sense

Is it just me or Viber doesn't work well?

WPUser111 says:

Wtf.. Only this much stickers?

NikosNx says:

The issue with notifications is not fixed yet. Very dissapointed with the wp8 version of the app. When will this be fixed??

Probably when Viber find developers not from kinder garden who learn how to use Visual Studio at all... So - not very soon or never.

NikosNx says:

I HOPE I won't regret buying a windows phone again. I had LG optimus 7. Now Ativ S. Let's hope that mainstream apps will be ok in some weeks or months.

ttsoldier says:

still don't get any calls on viber -_-
Even though people are calling me -_-

NikosNx says:

Same to me too. What the f*ck?

Ankmeyester says:

Whatsapp update is coming
*Ned Stark*

Tech King says:

It better... But wait... Winter was coming for a whole 2 seasons... O.o... Is tha equivalent to the 2 months we have been waiting for an update???

Ankmeyester says:

Winter came, Whatsapp update never did v_v

For some reason, when I type on the current version of Viber, the keyboard will not autocorrect misspelled words. I have checked settings within the app and there doesn't appear to be a control for this issue. Hopefully this update will address this annoyance!

As usual - after update, push notifications stops to work... Seems like WP developers in Viber are nubs that currently learn programming... Did you guys at least try to send a message or call a viber contact when his phone is turned off? or when viber is not active? Why on Android this can work  as it should be, but on WP never do his job.

evans_vn says:

After update no work in background!!!

Viber says:

Thanks for reporting! Please contact us via: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 for further assistance. :)

lasm2000 says:

This is definitely a significant improvement and adresses the most visibile issues with this app. Still, two of my pet peeves remain there :( The first one being that viber takes a rather large amount of time to start (skype had this issue too, but they have just solved it!) and the other one being a (very common) bug where the spanish translation of the app is only available to users in spain but not in other spanish speaking countries.

bahamut443 says:

I like Kik. We need a Kik update for WP8...

Dratwister says:

So, there is still no fix or whatsoever about super delay or even miss out calls and message yet? C'mon, that's the basic feature...

mr_rooz says:

Mine stopped working over 3G on 920after update, still works over wifi, anyone else having similar problem?

Viber says:

Hi there! Please check: http://helpme.viber.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/182/29/windows-phone-viber-connection-issues for possible solutions. :)
Let us know if the issue persists. :)

Viber says:

Hi,

What device do you have? Which version of Windows Phone?

rotkod says:

Samsung ativ s
firmware 2424.13.3.1
OS WP 8 (8.0.102211.204)
Bifore 2.3.0 work fine, after update call wont work properly, same thig with update 2.3.1

gamato says:

Viber has a deficiency - It cannot run on more than one phone connected to the same account (number). :-/
GroupMe can do it, as can all of existing instant messaging apps.

Erik Walther says:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD VIBER!!!!!!!! It completed screwed up my Lumia 920 and my brother's Lumia 820. We can't receive any multimedia messaging!!!!

Viber says:

Hi guys!

This is a member of the Viber Team. :)

Thank you for this article - we are very excited about our new  release!

We are here to receive feedback and questions directly from our users. Please don't hesitate to contact us, and we'd be happy to assist. :)

Viber Team

rotkod says:

Viber calls wont work properly on samsung ativ s after last update 2.3.0..

Viber says:

Hi,
Please note that we haven’t fully tested your device yet, and therefore we cannot assure that Viber works 100% smoothly on it. That may be the reason for the problems you are experiencing. Here is the full list of officially compatible devices: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/159/26/is-your-windows-phone-7-compatible-with-viber-system-requirements

We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to make your device fully compatible soon. When we have news, we'll let you know.

rotkod says:

After the last update 2.3.0 (now 2.3.1), I can not talk, I think I hear the other, no one hears me ... :(
Same on wifi or 3G (H+).

Same on wifi or 3G (H+).

Windows phone 8 Samsung Ativ S

gamato says:

Hi Viber. How to contact you? Most WP apps have either a feedback form directly in-app or they have email link within app.
So my biggest issue with Viber is that I cannot have it on two phones with the same number (account). Yes, it is possible to have multiple SIMs with same number. Besides, I want to be reachable via one number on whatever phone I might be using. GroupMe can do it and Viber should too. Thanks.
Other than that the usual issues -- slow resuming, missing stickers, links barely visible in conversations with default colour schema, etc.

Viber says:

Hi gamato,
You may contact us in several ways: through our official HelpDesk at http://helpme.viber.com , through our Facebook/Twitters pages, or via our representatives in the different blogs/forums (like myself). We are considering adding an in-app contact in the future.

At this stage, one Viber number can be assigned with only one device simultaneously (except for Viber Desktop). When you try registering to Viber with the same number on a second device, the first device immediately deactivates, and its data (message history, Recents, etc.) is deleted.

What you can do, however, is register your second device with a different number: your home number, an old cellphone number, family's or friends.
In future versions we are considering to add an option to register the same Viber number on multiple devices. Once we have news on that, we'll let you know :)

About the other problems you mentioned, please make sure that your device is officially compatible with Viber, at: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/159/26/is-...

If the problem persists, then we would appreciate if you could take a minute and report the details to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

adaptor says:

Viber still has an issue ...keeps going to the Home screen and is always ...Resuming...
Anyways it a good update cuz it wasnt WORKING AT ALL !!!!
It looks like a College Fresher coded Viber for WP8

Viber says:

Hi adaptor,

Please make sure that your deice is offiically supported with Viber: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/159/26/is-...

If it is, and the problem continues, then we would appreciate if you could report the problem at: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

adaptor says:

The app also seems to be horizontal when my phone is vertical ...dammit ....i say it again ..It looks like a College Fresher coded Viber for WP8

Viber says:

Hi adaptor,

Please make sure that your deice is offiically supported with Viber: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/159/26/is-...

If it is, and the problem continues, then we would appreciate if you could report the problem at: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

rotkod says:

Jadno! Pathetic, after last update call often does not work... Samsung ativ S :(

Twsiliko says:

Helo
I install viner on my HTC 8x since 3 month and i remove it ,,, i'm trying to install it and activate my nom ,, and the activation SMS did not recieved i tryied many time and wait ,,, nothing
what is the solution

Kind Regards

rotkod says:

Fix? This is word for...? Make new one, this one suck...