Skype updates Windows Phone 8 app to 2.8, brings new enhancements

Skype Windows Phone 8

To add to what is an increasingly news-worthy day, Skype has just pushed out a nice little update for Windows Phone 8 users, bumping that version to 2.8.0.84.

The Skype app for Windows Phone 8 has had a mixed track record with updates and coming late to the new OS, but with the last few releases it seems to have stabilized and is increasingly getting better and better. What’s more, this isn’t a vague “bug fixes” update but rather has some documented changes.

What’s new in v2.8:

• Start and Resume Performance – Improving the start and resume experience has been the main focus of this release. It’s now much faster to return to the app when it’s in the back stack. If you open the app and then hit the start button or turn off the screen, pressing the back or power button now gets you back into the Skype app much more quickly. You’ll also see some general improvements to the start experience.
  • Live Tile Count - Based on user feedback, we’ve changed the Live Tile notifications to show only the number of unread conversations, rather than the total number of unread messages.
  • South Korea Availability – Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now available to download from the Windows Phone Store in South Korea.

We’re liking those changes though there’s a difference between on paper and in the real world, so we’re excited about putting this version through the wringer with daily usage.  Unfortunately, there is still no sign of the missing “video messaging” function that iOS and Android currently have, leaving Windows Phone behind still.

Version 2.8 of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now available in the Store and can be found here or swiping to the right in our app.

Source: Skype; Thanks, Cheers2, for the tip!

QR: Skype

Comments

mohawk apple says:

Nice maybe I will give it a go!!

mrllano says:

Works as advertised.

Yeah, it is significantly faster than before!

erzhik says:

Does it still drain battery like a prostitute drains cash?

linkxboy says:

I couldn't avoid saying "WOW!" and laughing hahahaha

rockstarzzz says:

That's so not true.

smeshko says:

Maybe for you, it eats through my battery for a matter of hours...

jcutting says:

Maybe it wasn't the battery life drain he was disagreeing with...

Flavio76 says:

Never did....still waiting for same features Microsoft give to others phone's....
But battery drain is not a feature for WP luckily....

But why no file transfers, no video message....others have, why not here?

zishbu says:

Too awesome. We need more truth wrapped in quality wit like this around, well played.

Lol! That is one of many things I haven't liked about Skype, the huge battery drain! Hope this is fixed.

crazybeaver says:

Hahahaha... good one! Laughed so much!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Verkunder says:

Can anyone confirm if Skype on WP sees Facebook contacts? According to the Skype website my Skype, MS and Facebook accounts are all linked but I don't see my Facebook contacts on either Windows 8 or Windows Phone.

sarim_xyz says:

No, it doesn't. However, the Messaging hub does, if you connect your Facebook account and you can chat from there.

Verkunder says:

So, despite having the accounts linked, the app won't chat through Facebook? Seems like a bigger problem to me thatn video messaging... but I guess if I COULD chat with all of my contacts this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.
Thankfully Windows Phone has it built in.

sarim_xyz says:

I use Skype only for voice/video calls. For text IM, the in built feature in Windows Phone is great!!

adrian1338 says:

It is not great..it works

Ali Assaedi says:

skype for IM is horrible
messaging hub  is not great, far from it, UI and usabilty are yes great, but its unreliable(facebook fault?),  dont receive half my messages, and vice versa., especially facebook

adrian1338 says:

Especially when there is more in the message than text. Could be great with skype included..but hasn't been great so far

lasm2000 says:

Exactly. With the messenger protocol the messaging hub is completely ok but as soon as you use the facebook protocol for messages you can expect to have half (or more) of your messages dropped. It has been a completely crappy experience since day one, sometimes the protocol just doesn't connects, sometimes it works and sometimes it only half works. :/

mrllano says:

I think i can see mine

Yes I can see my facebook contacts too in skype

andreirlopes says:

I was about to write that I hope next update includes Facebook chat even I think Facebook chat in Skype for desktop is buggy and trashy. Not that I'm not happy with these improvements here, 'cause I am, but still there are things that's missing, and the worst: with their own services.

Skype has so much potential on Windows Phone but it really needs better integration and devlopment in general.

Rishicash says:

Not just with Windows Phone but Windows 8. WTF did they spend $8B for to just let it languish? They've had it now for 2 years and haven't done crap with it. Everyone hates Skype chat yet they refuse to fix something as simple as this. They had the format for a good chat with Messenger and still do with Lync. This is similar to the great music system they had with Zune Pass that they scrapped for the POS system they have now that everyone hates too.

Mohan Raj K says:

Still no Video Messaging....They saved it for Windows Phone 8.1 "Feature" :P

And file transfers.

RatPriest says:

It badly needs file transfers. Int it does, I'll be relying on whatsapp. Which is a shame because I prefer Skype overall. If MS gets file transfer working on the app, it'll greatly improve its appeal.

RatPriest says:

Int it? "Until". This is why I shouldn't type while rushing for my train :P

Kristijan87 says:

!@d44f¥¤&&, I was really looking forward to video messaging. Ah, well... But all those performance improvements sure sound nice, let's test them...

Manny C says:

The more updates the better!

PBLNS says:

Can someone please confirm if it stills drain the battery? everytime they update I install it and then uninstall it because of this... am tired of that :(

lippidp says:

Since there is no mention of battery improvements it is safe to say there are no battery improvements.

GMaster7 says:

I am exactly the same way.  At this point, I have it installed merely for the tile's icon, to show that WP8 HAS it - I don't start it up because I don't want it draining my battery.

LMAO, that's pretty much the same reason I have it installed still! It drains my battery so fast if I open it, it's ridiculous.

ninjaap says:

Battery drain? Mine is always logged on and doesnt affect my battery.

MacDaMachine says:

Never had battery drain

poddie says:

No battery drain here. I think it's a myth.

polychromenz says:

I had the battery drain and several updates later it was still there. Someone on here said uninstall and reinstall and it worked for me.

RatPriest says:

I am yet to experience any heavy battery drain while using it on my 820.

Nakazul says:

To add my words to the debate. I used Skype and all was pretty fine and dandy until I set me as Invisible (I changed my online status) and everything have gone haywire since then, including battery.

dkp23 says:

I wonder when they will eventually change the way chat works, so that i can send a text to somebody that is offline and vice versa.  Group chat, still not good.  no live tile counts for group

SargeT says:

I feel confused when someone asks me what phone I have where Skype can't receive pics, and I have to answer "WP". "WP7? Your L800 still alive?!" "no, 920. But its Skype still can't get media".

Martinspire says:

Ah so the number has been changed from messages to conversations. Thank god. I was always pretty annoyed when it would show 30 or 80 messages when i'm already chatting on my PC. I hope they also fix it that messages read elsewhere are marked as read.
And of course videomessaging is still missing :/

Wael Hasno says:

Video messaging is the least of my worries right now, file transferring should be there when the app was introduced. Nonetheless, I appreciate the update and hope to see more soon.

Still unimpressed. Load times are still slow. Sigh

fachru says:

Will I still miss message notification and phone call ? when Line and Whatsapp can push notification better without background task. I wonder why I almost never get push notification from skype and always missed phone call. even in stable Wifi connection unless I open profile of person who will call me in skype. They should able integrate better than third party apps.

The_Traveler says:

I never get Skype alerts for calls or messages. Hopefully that's fixed

Rick Smits says:

They should have a Skype beta.

They also appear to have fixed the issue where text would get hidden after typing a new chat message.

Unfortunately, I have to say the load times are not much improved.  It still takes a while to resume the app (on my Lumia 920).

xankazo says:

C'mon lazy Skype coders, make Skype for Windows Phone/Windows 8 awesome! We're counting on you!
Unless there's some killing integration features or some magical wonders on the way, the way we're being left behind makes no sense at all.

Nimdock says:

I wish it were possible to send text messages from Skype (to a phone number I don't mean to a Skype account), but there is only the option to call.

cashcar1979 says:

What a train wreck Skype has become for Windows....piss poor execution here by MSFT. Until this is fully integrates into the OS with all features present, this is a huge failure imo.

JasonG83 says:

I agree, and it is not an exageration. If Viber can work with the messaging hub, why can't Skype? It is ridiculously stupid and should be an embarrassment for Microsoft after paying $8.5 billion for the damned company. At times, I am frustrated enough to think about getting an iPhone.  At least their Skype app works.

ninjaap says:

Skype drives me crazy when I receive a call at home. My VAIO Fit, Surface RT and Lumia 920 all ring simultaneously. The annoying part is even when I answer one of them the other two will continue to ring for a while. At least I know Skype is working on all my devices.

Nimdock says:

I agree with this. It is highly annoying.

I would be OK wit all devices ringing but once the call has been answered I wish the other devices would stop.

Epic Pie says:

Oh goodies, it's finally here!

Huime says:

one thing for sure, background call recieve is working, im too.

peterfares says:

Will it stop ringing on the phone if I pick up a Skype call from my PC yet?
How is it that Google figured this out with Talk 2 years ago and Microsoft STILL can't get this right?

Should be checked....

As most of WP apps - didnt work in background. I really think that WP8 didnt work as it should be for push notificationcs, etc And i really cannot understand how MS think that will grow with OS , where baasic multitasking is a shit? Worst than Symbian ...

michail71 says:

I don't get it either.  Backgrounding seems so hit or miss (mostly miss) on WP8 and live tiles never seem to update in a reliable way.

May be in WP10 they will fix this... Or 11, if WP survive untill this.

evans_vn says:

After update no work in background!!!

michail71 says:

Meh, Skype should be an integrated answer to iChat and facetime on the windows phone.  As it is now it feels like a half baked add on app.

I love this...works like a charm

fanboyy says:

The resume performance is noticeably better.  I never experienced the battery drain problem people describe.  Facebook and all other contacts on the phone are visible in skype but there is no presence indication or skype video/voice/text connectivity with any contacts other than Messenger and skype.  My Nokia N900 running Maemo had vastly superior integration 4 years ago with skype, googletalk, and any XMPP compliant tool.  The Lumias are thinner and prettier and faster so I had no choice but to abandon my N900.  Thank goodness I don't have to pay alimony to the N900.

xpxp2002 says:

Changing the tile count to conversations is inconsistent with the behavior of the Messaging Hub. Why, oh, why Microsoft can't you just get this right instead of progressively making the experience worse. I still get duplicate tile counts when I use the Messaging Hub for Messenger, they're just lower numbers now. Why can't I turn off that side of the Skype app, and only use it for voice and video?
*proceeds to uninstall Skype app again*

polychromenz says:

Voicemail still missing

ScubaDog says:

Well, crud, it also BROKE something.  Prior to this update, if you used the voice command "Text <insert contact name here>" it would come back and say "Skype or SMS".  Now it reverted back to the old behavior, treating Skype as a separate capability.  Man, I LOVED being able to choose which way to text.

Yeah it definately broke something. Skype crashes instantly once I open it. Something to do with the people hub because some contacts sync and others don't.....

I just tried it on a 620, and it's dog slow, runs miles better, with more features (Video Messaging) on my SGS3.
So much for the 'Skype integrated into WP bit' that was the meme about a year back.

alptibet says:

The only thing that I do not like about it is when I'm logged on Skype on PC I still get notifications on my phone...there must a priority somehow

Osama204 says:

Skybe works flawlessly in Andriod, while in WP IT SUCKS
I never got any notification of any kind from this thing on WP8/NL920, notifications are turned on in Skype btw,
Uninstalled installed again, now upgraded, no difference,
If I'm in the app, and somebody try to call me, I will just get viberations without any ringining!
If I'm out side the app, forget it, I get nothing at all, next time I open the app I wll see all kind of "missed calls"!!!
seriously it's disturbing knowing that MS can't handle their own issues with their own products.

dp.rotten says:

How about an update that stops Skype from ringing on my WP after I'd alread picked up the call on my PC? I swear it rings FOREVER on my phone until I go find it and hit end, when I'm already on the call on my PC. Very annoying.

adaptor says:

does it allow u to make calls now? or text within seconds rather than minutes? Does it?

adaptor says:

thank god i bought my Lumia just last month. i wonder how people used it till now..
Again why did i bring a lumia??