Windows Phones

Cyan for Lumia 1020 rolls out in Canada

Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 now available from the Microsoft Store, supports LTE on T-Mobile

Windows Phones

Microsoft's latest video shows off the Nokia Lumia 1020 with OneDrive and Instagram

Lumia 1020 new 'end of life date' and what it all means for Microsoft

Lumia 1020 could hit End of Life status this September

This $300 case will let the Nokia Lumia 1020 go to the bottom of the sea

Lumia 630 performance benchmarks rival older Lumia 1020

Take your Lumia 1020 underwater like Cousteau with this $299 Watershot case

Check out this custom underwater housing for the Lumia 1020 and Fabien Cousteau

Filmmaker works with the Lumia 1020 to produce beautiful effects using still shots

Buy a new Lumia and get a $25 Windows Phone Store gift card along with 9 free Gameloft games

DxO Optics Pro now supports the Nokia Lumia 1020

Developers

Win a Lumia 1020 for listing your favorite apps with AdDuplex

From the Forums

Are Lumia 1020 users itching for the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom?

Fashion magazine takes photo shoots to the next level with Lumia 1020

National Geographic photographer and Nokia produce stunning images of Rio de Janeiro

Nokia Lumia 1020 captures image of objects obstructed from view

Deal Alert: AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020 available for just $365

Adventurer Eric Larsen sets out on record breaking expedition, brings along Windows Phone

Windows Phones

Deal alert: Nokia Lumia 1020 (AT&T) for $49 at Amazon

Nokia Lumia 1020 viewfinder

Lumia 1020: Now featuring stereo audio recording, coming to other Lumias too

Although many of are blown away by Nokia’s HAAC (high amplitude audio capture) microphones, which allow their Lumia line to record distortion-free audio (think of a rock concert), there was always one drawback that you may not have known about: mono.

Yup, despite having three microphones on board, the device only processed in mono sound, meaning even though it was distortion free it was still a step behind.

We can now confirm that the Nokia Lumia 1020 fixes this by featuring full-stereo HAAC recording ability. What’s more? It’s part of the Pro Camera suite that other Lumia devices are expected to get, meaning your Lumia 92x can get stereo-recording in the near future.

After all, you have the hardware. Now, Microsoft and Nokia have fixed the software.

Comments

Wow, I love that these features are coming to other 9xx owners, Nokia and Microsoft have worked really hard to enhance the user experience, 1020 owners are going to be super happy.

Musicman247 says:

Really happy about this! The only thing I really wanted from the 1020 was the Pro Camera app for my 925.

fancy0479 says:

I have a 920. Super happy to hear that I will get the Pro Cam and Stereo Rich Recording (the mono one is amazing already).

squidgyimp says:

Will it only be available to 92* series or will the 82* series get this as well?

theefman says:

Pureview branded camera's only.

Mohan Raj K says:

what about 720?? 6.7mp cam

Dexterrino says:

not included. needs pureview technology on board.

mariusfilip says:

i installed just 2 days ago  Audio Recorder Pro, it's about 2 euros in Europe and it has Stereo wav recording,serch the app shop for it,you can upload ti skydrive too :)

rubenbest says:

Hmm that app seems to have way more than the default camera app

sepatown says:

Hence, why it's called Pro Camera.

DenniSundaY says:

I hope it is going to come to HTC 8x at some point, bit I think I don't have to wait for that. I already thought it was weird that the devices all have 2 microphones but still record in mono. Nokia actually fix it! Although I have no Lumia phone, Nokia still amazes me every day!

shadyrudy says:

Every time I see a Nokia exclusive post, my HTC 8X dies a little.

DenniSundaY says:

So does mine. It is a great phone but a Nokia would be much more worth the costs and Nokia works way better together with Microsoft. But I have to keep up with my 8X till November 2014 haha!

eric12341 says:

The HTC 8X can record stereo
audio but only on the 720p setting.I know this because when I do video shoots on my phone and then process the videos it says stereo in the properties

kaynachtsman says:

So just freezing myself for 2 months to just awake when Microsoft delivers wp 8.1 ;)

sepatown says:

WP 8.1 (Blue) is not coming out in 2 months. You're gonna have to freeze yourself for much longer. GDR3 though should be coming out later this year but not in 2 months. What you'll get in about a month or 2 depending on carrier is GDR2 which is currently present in the Lumia 925 and will be available in the Lumia 1020 when it ships.

Menzlo says:

Also the Amber firmware.

sepatown says:

That's right.

kaynachtsman says:

Good to know guys, see you all in 2014 :)

SargeT says:

I'd've called that trolling if that wasn't true

DenniSundaY says:

And GDR3 won't even be WP8.1 so that's going to be a long, long wait for us!

StaticPlaya says:

Be careful you'll end up like Eric Cartman when he froze himself for the Wii and we all know what happened there LOL

Okay, this I am happy about.

NIST says:

So I think I remember Daniel going off on how stereo recording on a smartphone was not necessary some time ago. Heehee

erfanullah says:

What about Lumia 720?

Quin 2013 says:

92* nothing under so far, which sucks.

Probably because of the camera hardware that on phones designated under 92*.

kwambe5 says:

I guess I won't have to sell my kidney after all to get the 1020. I can be somewhat satisfied with the wealth of features Nokia is making available to my 920! :)

Rishicash says:

Nokia will have a kidney app available for 8.2 so no worries!

Please... Please... No more 1020 news for today at least...

Pureview 1 + Pureview 2 = lumia 1020

Toink says:

Hi, Daniel. Did this come 'officially' from a Nokia source, or more of a speculation?

Here's hoping it's official. I really love my 920 to have this feature. No disrespect. Just plain curious. Thanks!

sirgrant618 says:

Yeah, I read on nokia's site that Pro Camera was exclusive to the 1020

On the coversations part of the Nokia website you can read the the Pro Cam comes to the 92x after the Amber update!

RobbCab says:

From Nokia Conversations

Nokia Pro Camera will be available for Nokia Lumia 1020 at launch and it will also be coming to all Nokia Lumia PureView smartphones (Lumia 920, 925 and 928), but will require an upgrade to the latest Amber software.

Toink says:

I'm talking about the 'full-stereo HAAC recording ability' guys. I mean we may have the Pro Cam but the full-stereo HAAC recording ability...

Confirmed that it will come to all 92x phones.

HM02 says:

So Pro Cam IS coming to the 920. Sweeeeet. Excited for the Amber update and this inclusion. So that I can set the default camera app to open Pro Cam!

rohitmarines says:

What about call recording feature..can any one plz tel if the cal recording feature is also coming to Lumia 820

EJP86 says:

Stoked for this!

danielgray says:

Would like a SIP client, miss that feature a lot from my N8.

That's awesome! I think just having Pro Cam would go a long way to improving the 92X series. Bring on Amber!

laserfloyd says:

Sweeeeet! Can't wait for Pro Cam because as much as I love the 920's camera, the interface is just MEH. :)

jassp87 says:

If ever the amber update releases. Will it be worldwide? Im not on postpaid im on prepaid.

nbolmer says:

Stupid. Stereo separation on a phone is nonexistent.

Depends on how reflective processing is done.   A smartphone's microphone separation is not much smaller than a human head, and most human's can process stereo sound quite well.

My concern with the 1020 is the lack of the 3rd microphone in the array for active monitoring of levels. So far only the 928 has the three microphone array, the 920/925/1020 are all dual microphone arrays.

E Lizzle says:

Separation not much smaller only if you've come across the Shuar!

Daniel Meek says:

it all depends on microphone placement. If the mics are on the same plane facing the same direction then yes, it would be quite terrible. But the 92x phones have 3 mics to work with; one on top, one on bottom... and I honestly don't know where the 3rd one is (maybe on bottom as well?). If using the top and bottom mics for left and right then it should have a similar separation to what the human head has. If it is using a different set then it may not be so great.

Personally I still think that stereo recording on a camera is fairly useless, and there are lots of other goodies coming with Amber and GDR2 that I am excited for, but if they are going to give me stereo audio on my videos I am not exactly going to turn it down and say it is dumb. I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

eric12341 says:

I can think of plenty scenarios where stereo recording is necessary.

rodneyej says:

Where are the other to microphones located on the 920❔.. All I see is the one on the top.. Are the hidden behind the micro drilled holes❔..

Aleksi says:

Interesting tidbit about rich recording from 1020 white paper.

"For more advanced users - based on the feedback from

Nokia 808 PureView, we have provided a simple user interface to get the best from the hardware in different

recording scenarios and applications.Audio bass filter provides controls on the low frequency

audio characteristics with three options: The “Default” option is the best all-round setting and

provides sonically balanced recordings in most conditions. It applies a shelf filter to 0…200Hz frequency

band and works especially well in loud concert recordings, where the bass level can be too excessive for

balanced playback.The “Strong” option can become handy in the presence

of wind-noise or in-car noise. It applies a 200Hz highpass filter cutting effectively all low frequency content

from the recording."

So

RKFaulhaber says:

Does anyone know of any strictly audio recording apps that let you take advantage of the stereo recording option without video on a Lumia 1020.