Nokia Pro Camera tells you when you’re going to ruin your photo

One of the trickiest things Nokia has had to cope with when bringing such a high end camera is the addition of advanced controls. For hobbyist and pro shooters, adjusting your white balance, ISO and other aspects are run of the mill. But not everyone who buys the Lumia 1020 will be at that level, so how do you ease them into those manual settings?

Nokia has solved this by two ways: a tutorial in the Pro Camera app of what those features are and how to use them and visual feedback. The second part is what you can see in the above video. Basically, as you slide your ISO up higher (up to 3200), a yellow bar appears telling you that this is “less than ideal”. That’s because a higher ISO means more image noise. Likewise, if you’re exposure time is too long, resulting in a blown out shot, it will show red, which obviously means “you’re going to ruin this shot”.

It’s a neat trick and once again, shows how Nokia isn’t about just jamming in features, but thinks about how people use them too.

Comments

Toink says:

This to me is the neatest feature of the Nokia Pro Camera App. Keep them coming please! :)

rx74ray says:

what I dont like about the camera is the lag when capturing photo. It takes about 5s per photo. ehhhh
look at this at 00:50 in the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_JroUNwFE

Agreed, the 920 is too slow in taking pictures. Trying to capture my two year old doing something impossible

Ever tried the lens app Blink? It takes like 20+ super fast pics as soon as u touch the screen. Then u can pick the ones u like and save them.

Blink also makes the photo look like it was taken with 2MP

elvisff says:

Pro shot has burst mode, plus you can adjust shutter speed.... I have a 4 year old, so I understand the challenge.

coldside says:

I agree. I found it is faster if you use the dedicated camera button if you want to snap a quick picture.

pikablu0530 says:

Totally agree here. If you need fast capture - use the camera button, don't tap the screen, to take the photo. Tapping the screen will cause the camera trying to focus, which will lag a few seconds before it actually takes it.

So I guess this app is not coming to my 720...

erfanullah says:

I use ProShot on Lumia 720. It takes beautiful macro and long exposure shots. It also achieves nice bokeh effect due to f1.9. They have recently submitted an update which fixes a bug involving SD cards which used to crash the app a lot if you set the phone to save pictures in SD card. I may upgrade to 1020 in few months.

Heh, I use ProShot, too, and loving it, actually. But I think something in-house, especially Nokia apps, would be nicer, don't you think? :)

tissotti says:

That camera UI, love it. it really does show that they have put some thought to it.

dlusted says:

Pro Camera only for 1020? Or will it be available for all Lumias?

Want some love for my now old 920....

Toink says:

From what I gather, for all Lumia's after amber update...

This is for Smart Camera not Pro Camera

Also for the Pro Camera! After Amber it comes to the 920!

Sam Sabri says:

All Lumia 92X phones

Vallos says:

So the next question is... When?

rodneyej says:

Yes when❔❔❔

sph0308 says:

@Vallos....did you end up getting a 928 ?

Vallos says:

Yes, and with no issues!

btgusto says:

proshot is coming to all NL phones with amber update

sepatown says:

Amazing stuff Nokia and Microsoft!

rodneyej says:

2013 Smartphone Of The Year❕❗❕❗

erzhik says:

This is the difference between Nokia's innovation and Samsung's innovation. Samsung crams in the features without thinking twice. Nokia thinks, and jams in only what people want and leave all gimmicky stuff out.

Forc3 says:

thats quite true.... samsung bloats its own system with unneeded features, i mean wtf?

Zamir Yusof says:

Yeah...this is the features that you can really brag. Aside from the stylus on gnote, I don't think any features on galaxy phones really worth it yet.

kevin sledge says:

Nokia seems to always innovative and be ahead of the game when it comes to their phones. Yet they don't get the recognition they really deserve from the masses. Why is that? My house is flooded by crapple products, that my family will live and die by smdh.

tissotti says:

Well they did for much over 9 years. They where the Apple and Samsung in that time frame and recorded tech industries top 3 profits for years and were shortly even largest European company in value.
Thing is they got slightly arrogant and thought they woned the game. They are getting back at their old game, but you got a new OS with small market share and a lot of customers to win back again. It will take its time.

kevin sledge says:

That makes sense

tositem says:

That is so amazing! And was i seeing the ISO up to 3,600?? Wow!

aaa6112 says:

3600 ISO isn't new. Even the 925 supports it. And after Amber update rolls out to other Lumia devices, even 920 and 928 will support it.

Hell yeah my 928 will!

Wow, but I hope I won't need it ever because the noice will be very very high!!

Always try to make pictures with ISO 100 and only go higher when there is movement in the picture!

alex6272 says:

No Instagram helps to keep pictures beautiful

aaa6112 says:

Question to Daniel: Is 4sec the slowest shutter speed supported by the 1020? Thanks!

How long is the exclusivity deal likely to be? When will it be possible to unlock this phone for other carriers? I'm assuming it'll be the same as the 920, which means 6 months. What's weird is that another phone, the LG Optimus Pro, has been out for less than 6 on ATT (but is exclusive), and can be unlocked already. What gives?

Nokia kicks so much ass.

rodneyej says:

Some weirdo was just complaining about Nokia quality.. Dumb ass... Says he is mad about the Nokia exclusive apps, but doesn't want to every buy a Lumia.. This punk expects Nokia to do all the work for WP... Where's Samsung/HTC today❔... They probably didn't even bother to watch the press event... Shame, shame, shame.. My GF got a 8X yesterday, and after playing with it, more than her, I was really pissed.. Not because it's a bad phone, but because is freekin awesome❕... The others are very capable if making just as good, If not better, hardware than Nokia, but they just will not provide a full line of devices... Two devices each.. Pathetic❕

raul_junior says:

It honestly breaks my heart the Nokia doesn't get nearly as much respect as apple gets (which apple doesn't deserve)

Respect is earned, and Nokia is earning it, unprecedented technology and software combination in the 1020.

rodneyej says:

What pisses me off is all the Android fans wishing Nokia would port Android into Lumia devices.. That makes me sick to my stomach.. But, the reality is that we need a little more developer support, and MS really needs to come on with updates, and more innovation.. IOW WP needs to catch up with Nokia❕.. IMO... Lol.

kevin sledge says:

Said the same exact thing earlier. Spot on

jayruguitar says:

Wow.  Just, wow.

Kenjoe says:

I wish I was into taking photos bc I would buy Lumia 1020

rodneyej says:

You'd better get into it son❕❕.. Lol.

jhoff80 says:

If you set Pro Camera to default, does that mean you lose the ability to jump to other lenses?

It'd be nice if there was a lenses button in Pro Camera, so that you didn't have to go back to the app list to switch between those even if you want to use Pro Camera as default.

MediaCastleX says:

1020 ProShot IS the default camera basically and the lenses icon is visible in pretty much the same spot... ;)

THAT is a spectacular feature!

MAERSK says:

Dear god Daniel please tell me this Nokia Pro Camera has presets!!!

Does it let you know when an AT&T exclusivity deal will hurt sales?

williog says:

I think the best part of it is that its a phone and you can enjoy camera quality

Nejcooo says:

i personaly wasnt that impressed because this awesome camera (or at least very similar) was in nokia 808

myjota says:

How about 620 ))))))

tarzanmarzan says:

Lol they have this in my manual Canon from the 90s

btgusto says:

“Nokia Pro Camera is a powerful camera system, super simple to use and, best of all, it fits into your pocket as well, “ Marcus concludes.
Nokia Pro Camera will be available for Nokia Lumia 1020 at launch and it will also be coming to all Nokia Lumia PureView smartphones (Lumia 920, 925 and 928), but will require an upgrade to the latest Amber software.

btgusto says:

proshot coming to 920 925 928 according to nokia conversations page

procen says:

I guess it will only come to high end cameras.

I can't wait to get this on my 928 which is by far the best camera I ever had on a smartphone. It automatically does macro shots if you are close to an object and gives the blur effect in the background

OMG55 says:

I agree with you as I carry a Nokia 900, 822, and HTC 8x which is my everyday unit because of its good design and thinness. The battery life sucks though and they could have a battery pack that attaches
the phone.

Adretheon says:

That's a neat UI. Microsoft should consider somthing similar. Everyone has the "classic" camera look, and it would be good for them to change the way we see camera UI's.

Morq says:

Have I missed anything or this app does not have manual focus? That wold be a letdown.

it has manual focus..they demoed it at the launch event..

MediaCastleX says:

There's so much in this app, the trick would be to try and guess what is missing...it's quite possibly nothing at all! =P