Windows Phone vs BlackBerry

UK Windows Phone users may go above BlackBerry's

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

From the Forums

What made you buy Windows Phone in the first place?

WPCentral News

Are you buying a new Windows Phone soon or waiting for new hardware?

Hotel Tonight app debuts on Windows Phone, special promo code available

Lumia 630 now available in Russia, Lumia 930 up for pre-order

How To

How to share your Windows Phone's internet - whether or not your carrier wants you to

Developers

Microsoft opens up OEM portal, build your own Windows Phone

Developers

Microsoft to host new Publish Windows developer days with awesome prizes

From the Forums

What visual glitches have you discovered in Windows Phone?

Microsoft reportedly waiving Windows Phone license fees for some hardware partners

From the Forums

Case or No Case for your Windows Phone?

From the Forums

Windows Phone hardware buttons, where do you stand?

Microsoft announces upcoming spring update for Windows 8.1

Developers

Meet UI CENTRIC, a consultancy creating incredible apps for Microsoft platforms

Developers

Microsoft working on reduced certification times for Windows Phone apps

HTC confirms 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1

Visualized – Windows Phone 8 versus 8.1

Microsoft reportedly considering Android apps as a solution for Windows Phone

Windows Phones

First screenshots of the Notification Center for Windows Phone 8.1 reveal new design

Windows Phone GDR2

GDR2 shows up on Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 update history page

The past few days have seen a flurry of news hit our front page. The Lumia 925 was announced for T-Mobile and the Nokia Lumia 1020 was officially revealed to the citizens of earth. It’s a glorious device with 41 million pixels at your disposal. So let’s switch it up and give you guys some news about all your “old” devices, the ones you’re currently holding or in your pocket. GDR2 could be coming sooner than you think.

GDR2 is the next operating system update we’re looking forward to in the Windows Phone world. Followed by GDR3 and Blue. Microsoft has posted some new info on their Windows Phone 8 update history page, which happens to detail some history that hasn’t really happened for anyone yet. Windows Phone update 8.0.10327.77 (or 8.0.10328.78 depending on your phone model and mobile operator) will include the following:

Xbox Music

It's now easier to select, download, and pin music. Plus, music fans will see more accurate metadata (such as song and album information) and many other performance improvements.

FM radio

Listen to FM radio right from the Music+Videos hub. (Not available for all phones.)

Data Sense

Stay on top of your phone's data usage with Data Sense. You can set a limit based on your data plan, or just keep track of which apps use the most data. (Not all mobile operators offer Data Sense.)

Skype

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) apps like Lync and Skype now feature improved stability and performance.

Internet Explorer

Your web browsing experience is now better than ever with improved HTML 5 compatibility.

Camera

Set your favorite Lens so it opens automatically when you press the camera button. (Not available for all phones.)

Other improvements

Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

These changes while small, should help alleviate and improve the experience on Windows Phone. Also, the fact that they’re listed on the Windows Phone 8 update history page reveals they might be coming sooner than we think.

Thanks for the tip Stormtrooper 11

Source: Windows Phone

Comments

jjmurphy says:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit about the same time as the 1020 at this point for most users.  AT&T would be smart to be proactive on this after the way Elop saved their face today.

That would be best. I'm guessing you're right, within a couple of weeks of the 1020, probably. Mainly due to carrier delay.

jgbstetson says:

He sure took that bullet like a champ.  I was shocked.

After that i'm pretty sure the went (Elop calling De la Vega) into  a meeting. Since both were there. Mr. Elop is a great professional .He handle the question like a champion ,no doubt on that.But that is the true ;AT&T is not committed the way they should

casualk says:

Elop was great. The question was great also because it is so true.

peterfares says:

He had a bit of a smirk on his face while he was pondering his words.

x I'm tc says:

What are we talking about, here?

rodneyej says:

At the end of the press event during questions a bad as female reporter from Forbes ripped a hole in at&t's ass.. She threw everyone off guard by calling out the actions of att store reps.. She said that att has done a horrible job with WP because they have not forced their store reps to push the devices, rather they turn customers away to iDroid devices.. When she said it the other reporters started clapping, which was IMO one of the best moments in WP history.. Elop, thrown off, had to quickly go into damage control mode, and his rebuttal was very good. Nevertheless, the message was clear and Ralph ran off stage crying like a upset 16 year old girl running out a auditorium at a high school dance.. So, now we feel that those biased store reps are finally going to get theirs.. Their ass is grass now.. Lol❕❗❕❗❗.. I ♥ it❕

aaa6112 says:

So much talk about the keynote! Darn it, I missed it. Wonder when it'll be uploaded for offline viewing.

TechFreak1 says:

Full Conference with Q&A
I too was taken aback how calmly Elop took that hit, Ralph must have been thanking his lucky stars that he was not on stage during the Q & A lol.

aaa6112 says:

Awesome, thanks! Love this community.

Dr_8820 says:

I was at work...what happened about Elop?

B_Sack says:

I didn't catch the keynote.  How far in was this bullet Elop took?  I need to hear it!!!

DrewT3 says:

In the Q&A - Joan Lappin - Forbes.com threw AT&T under the bus. "AT&T a dreadful partner" at 1:03:20 in the youtube video. Elop handles it beautifully, AT&T owes him a dinner at Mendy's.

jarala60 says:

She was so dead on with the question and her description of AT&T as a partner.  In the stores I went to, I knew more about the L920 than the salespeople - just from doing research online.  They had no idea how to answer even the simplest questions that I had - regarding some of the basic operations of the device.  It really was pathetic, because the answer to one of those questions would be the deciding factor in my purchase decision.  I finally went to a store in another city and a salesperson there answered the question for me.  I purchased the phone, and I'm really glad I did.  I really love the device.  It's not perfect but I'm happier with it than any other smartphone I've ever owned - after 6 months.  Usually by this point, I'm beginning to get some resentments built up about some quirky bug or another.

jsnod25 says:

Its towards to end, last question in the Q&A asked by Forbes.com regarding AT&Ts lack of knowledge and inability to push the device. I think its at like 1:03:20 where she starts to ask.

Edit: looks like I was beaten to your response and didn't read past your question. LOL

Musicman247 says:

Elop is really a great speaker. He knows what he's going to say before he says it, and he never seems to have to pause with an "Um" or "Uh". Great public face for WP.

Aaron M says:

Very true.  But its also important to note that his answers are actial relavent to the question and contain information.  A lot of politicians know how to answer questions smoothly with no pauses, but they are usually complete BS off topic sound bytes.

inteller says:

he can spout good answers all he wants but nothing can remove the truth that ATT is a "dreadful partner"
...and she was putting it mildly

IDK, considering that we haven't gotten Amber yet, but the 925 has, I'd imagine it will be a similar matter with GDR2. The 1020 might come with it, but the plebians will have to wait.

rohitsingh says:

GDR2 and Amber are part of the same package. Gdr2 is the os update while amber is Nokia's value addition to it.

ozahran says:

The fact that they're addressing two of my biggest gripes with the os is great. Better html5 in ie and any improvement to Xbox music are every welcome additions and will make me love my 920 even more :)

joe_easton says:

I have to agree; however, there are still many improvements that people are really wanting to see.  I think everyone is really holding their breath for Blue.

89caps says:

Do you know what differences the HTML 5 changes will make?

Agreed. I also like the camera improvements coming. Imagine the Instagram freaks being able to launch Instance by camera button? One more reason why WP is designed for us.

As for Xbox improvements... I just want to be able to play my music (not one single song of which is DRM protected) to play without an error message.

dalydose says:

YES @GoodThings2Life!!! That effin messages drives me to drink!!  The ONLY solution I can get to work around it is to delete the song and then redownload it FROM the phone.  Sometimes the phone will say "In Collection" and then only offer to let me buy a song that I've already bought or have access to with my Pass account.  In that case, I have to put the song on my phone from the computer and then delete it and then redownload it FROM the phone.  HUGE pain in the butt.

tipu2185 says:

Lumia 920 was launched in my country few months back and now device is "OLD" Lolz the techonology damn you.

But it's still very awesome device that you and me both have, aren't it? :)

majortom1981 says:

It is not that old. Also pciture wise it still takes awesome pictures.

I hope this update sorts out the Push Notifications issues some of us are experiencing. I just update skype will see if this has any effect on the notifications. They have been quite bad the last week

DenniSundaY says:

Yeah indeed. And it is weird because push on WP8 works really great, but not on Skype and other certain apps (like Whatsapp, for god sake). But why would an software update improve push for Skype (which is a downloadable app) specially? We will see...

As I understand, push notifications are pushed to the device by windows and not the app i.e. the app lets the notification centre know and that pushes it to the  phone in question. Maybe the notification centre is not able to push updates from 3rd party apps. Or maybe microsoft has not provided 3rd party apps an efficient way to let the notification centre know when a push is needed

DenniSundaY says:

No, that's not the case because many other apps handles push just fine. And since Skype is from Microsoft I think it is really weird that is so unstable.

OMG55 says:

Its not from Microsoft, they just own it as basically the Skype team move under Microsoft management/ownership. Do you or anyone really think the would neglect the millions of subscribers on Android/Apple to focus solely on new WP users? Its a fine juggling act to maintain existing user base and also gain new users at the same time. I'll be patient

Jarocookies says:

It's a VOIP improvement so apps like Skype will be working better (as other applications that use VOIP will too) by the way; third party Skype? Microsoft is the owner of Skype.......

DenniSundaY says:

Ah of course, that makes sense :)

Josh Harman says:

Push notifications "work" horrible on my WP8... particularly Facebook, but also Skype, Voxer and instance (they've never worked, could be the app).
In fact, the only notifications I get steadily are from Words with Friends. LOL (that's a sad lol, btw)

DenniSundaY says:

That's not true. I think it is app related because Facebook, whatsapp and instance indeed have terrible push services, but that is something the developers of the app have to fix. All other apps, like wpcentral, regenmeter (rain checker, roughly translated) and even swapchat are working well... But maybe it is not very simple for developers to make it stable and it could be the fault of the OS, so I really hope they're going to fix it :P

Issue is not the Apps, it is something within the Operating System, people on Android, IOS, BB and symbian are able to get notifications from the likes of WhatsApp, Skype etc without issues. Push Notifications of WP7 and WP8 have been misbehaving for a while and there is just too many people complaining about them. Microosoft needs to send us a patch to correct the Push settings

DenniSundaY says:

But you said it yourself, it is there since wp7. So it isn't going to be fixed soon. And the fact it is Microsoft who has to fix this, and microsoft isn't that quick with fixing things (other storage bug). And wp8 (in comparison to wp7) is really unstable. I hope they fix all these things in GDR3!

here is the update for WhatsAppInitiate voice calls from within the app

• Background API allows you to play music
  • New smileys
  • Fixed notifications for users
  • Users can now see smileys on the double wide tile
  • Fast resume (If the app is open and you click on the incoming notification it opens as fast as on Android)
  • On start-up, it now asks if you want to back up your chat history. You can also do this through settings.
  • Large images shown

tipu2185 says:

@SAM SABRI
Does new music app update allows you to search ? It is very cumbersome if you have link 50 songs starting with A and you have to scroll down to search one.

fardream says:

I have more than 200 songs starts with A....

Josh Harman says:

I have over 400... so there.

DJCBS says:

Why the f*ck don't those twats at Microsoft release Data Sense for all phones and keep leaving it to the carriers?!
God, I miss Nokia Counters...

Vb2012 says:

Yea im also fukn pissed all they could have done is give the app side but yet agian ms screws us all the fuckn way -.-

nickengineer says:

Less of the f*ck*ng language. Just cos its on the internet doesn't mean you don't need to show some god damned f*ck*ng respect.

And breathe....

Oh please Internet = 18+ my friend

a5cent says:

Then what are you doing here?

Hahaha fail im actually 18 going for 19

WhyFiNYC says:

That's like asking why all WP8 don't get visual voicemail - because it needs carrier-side implementation.

Vb2012 says:

Who says data sense is all carrier i bet 5 bucks there is only carrier control for compression so fck u !!

WhyFiNYC says:

Oh look - it's a tough guy. How cute.

Vb2012 says:

So u dont care about basic functionality??

WhyFiNYC says:

I don't care about children on forums throwing tantrums and saying, "fck u !!"

Ag fok off man

WhyFiNYC says:

Sure thing, kiddo.

Kiddo my ass

dalydose says:

Why do you want to cause drama? Can't you just ask you question or make your point without attacking people or littering the joint with curse words?

Vb2012 says:

Its only way u people understand

wpguy says:

(Nevermind.)

dalydose says:

Actually, it make "we people" not really pay attention to what you're saying.

poddie says:

I wonder if it supports shared data plans and the balance includes other phones? That would be one reason...

DavidinCT says:

Exactly, Visual Voicemail app on Verizon's WP8 devices stinks, Why can't they use the built in feature in Wp8 like they should ? Do I really need ANOTHER tile for something that should be built into the current tiles ?

I've asked a few times about it and kind of just told "that is the way it is" with no detail...

Verizon's WP side sucks with WP8, No group messaging and the crappy Visual voicemail app.. Wish they would work with Microsoft and FIX the problems once and for all..

Every carrier gets its own special something, it's just the way it works.

Vb2012 says:

So fck basic features?? Is tht what you saying?

DJCBS says:

Data Sense was announced as a key feature of WP8. Not a Nokia feature, not a carrier feature, not a country feature. A OS feature. Therefore there's absolutely no reason to not have it on board since day 1

Vb2012 says:

Well except the compression thts carrier but the rest of the functions are not

Vb2012 says:

Microsoft can atleast give us the app side

Leapo says:

You do realize that, without proper support from the carrier (so the app knows about compression and shared data plans), the app cant provide accurate data usage stats.

Creating the potential for misinformation is far, FAR worse than no information at all. What Microsoft is doing makes sense: customers on carriers that provide the required data get DataSense, carriers who's carriers don't provide the required data aren't given a potentially misleading app.

Vb2012 says:

So i should not get a basic feature ? All i want is a warning telling me tht im using a mb thts all i want there is absolutely no need for carriers in order for such a function to work!!!!!!!!!

OMG55 says:

Not trying to rain on your parade, but unfortunately the carriers have s lot of influence on this matter and it does suck, but unless you and many others are willing to leave that carrier, you'll just have to wait

I think the Data Sense problem is the Carrier's choice to no support it. Cause here in Paraguay, it Works on the Lumia 920 and other model outs of the box, eventhough these are the first WP ever sold in here. I don't see them having a special infrastructure actually to make it work, so blame AT&t maybe for not letting you use it.

Vb2012 says:

Well only compression is carrier but the rest can be given

Menzlo says:

Broken record much?

Vb2012 says:

Yes i know but my points are valid so suck it

MarkPit says:

The carrier needs to support it so it can show you what the carrier thinks your data usage is. Some data usage does not count against your cap, like downloading visual voicemail messages, etc.

Vb2012 says:

Wat ?? From what ive seen its mostly non carrier. If u saw the video of the 925 it shows tht u have to enter ur cap tht u get every month thts not carrier !!;!!!!;;!!!;!!!!!

DJCBS says:

I'm not on AT&T. I'm not even American. I'm in Europe. Here we buy our phones off-contract. I bought mine at normal sale price in January. It does NOT have Data Sense. And there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever for it. Microsoft simply didn't released it to everyone and now uses the carriers and the compressions etc as excuse.
Really? Data Sense doesn't do much more than Nokia Counters on WP7 does. Yet they can provice a Data sensor in WP7 and can't in WP8? Really?

Amen to tht ;)

DenniSundaY says:

Still hoping it's coming Monday (the 15th). It's even showing on the Dutch site, so I think it is indeed coming earlier then we think!

L2nak says:

How about the grey photo album cover bug :|

raul_junior says:

Never heard of that

L2nak says:

Search for it. Pretty common.

xankazo says:

Yeah, it happens to me too. Pretty ugly. It's when the XBOX Music Live tile refuses to display the playing artist album cover, even though there is a proper album cover in place.

jaimeastin says:

Man, I hate that... Just so ugly and inconsistent...

What about data sense

So can someone with a Lumia 925 explain to me what is the "Xbox Music Improviments"???
And, they finally fixed the Others bug???

h_portal says:

I hope they solved the track-to-track skipping performance, as it's slower on my 920 than it was on my good old samsung focus. Also bluetooth can crash when streaming audio.

Bet the syncing is still a mare :(

K_lando says:

Maybe, think it was a pinto, possibly a mustang.

neogodless says:

Don't be such a foal!

borasar says:

I really hope xbox music is going to be much much better
really like the favourite lense feature

kaynachtsman says:

Damn the next wpc podcast will be long much to talk for you guys :D

poddie says:

If they ever do one.

KeegdnaB42 says:

Get to work Verizon
and if this comes out without the group messaging restored I feel bad for the CSR who's going to be taking my call

jacob114489 says:

I hope this update came through Verizon as fast as the last one!

Josh Harman says:

How fast was that? I think I got my phone after the first update. How long did it take compared to other carriers?

jacob114489 says:

If I remember right it was a few days.

Josh Harman says:

Sweet. I would have expected Verizon to be extra slow with releasing WP updates.

jacob114489 says:

Which is why I HOPE their speedy with this one!

TechyMexican says:

I do not see any improvements in the xbox music app except for the Radio on my Lumia 925. Anyone know what the changes are?

MethodGT says:

Do you have album art? Are all the songs from one artist under that artist's name? Does your music just play when you click play, without protesting that the file type is unsupported, even though it is supported and it will work after clicking play again? Are you able to upload podcasts from the desktop sync app AND download podcasts OTA from the music store on the same phone? Do your podcasts synced from your desktop have album art?

If so, lots of the Xbox Music bugs have been fixed. If not, that sucks. They need to fix it!

ebradley says:

About time we moved past the old news of the NL1020. :D

Zeeshan360 says:

What about the Other Storage bug ?? Any news ??

DenniSundaY says:

I really don't know either, no one knows actually. I really thought they would say something about it, but the only thing that was said by microsoft is the tweet from Joey Belfiore with the message that there will be a fix coming. But that was months ago...

phirefly says:

I hope other improvements was literal :)

nightryder21 says:

Seriously... this is ridiculous!

punkJD says:

I really hope It's coming too. My phone is literally eating my memory. I had 900 mb and from 1 hour to another the memory just dropped to the 400 mb without me doing anything. It's really annoying.

uopjo6 says:

Yep. 820 still useless till this day.

Moustache321 says:

This! That's so annoying 'cause I only have 300Mb memory left.. The others storage takes over 3Gb!! That everything goes to "media" but I have no idea what "media" it is since I have only 0,5Gb music, videos and pics. Even the memory sd card doesn't work so this phone is going to take some repair

DavidinCT says:

that "shrink storage" app does actually work, does not clear up all of it but, it acutally does work. On my HTC 8X when I had it, I had a 5gb "other" it cleaned it up to 2.3gb....

kirklyt says:

I hope MS would put some call/sms blocking tech for windows phone soon with future updates/upgrades we're so defenseless against unwanted callers/messengers...

TechFreak1 says:

ahh i hate that.. I've been getting spam from pizza hut, maida grill, insurance, ppi claims.. even automated phone calls! wth i've been ex-directory ever since i got my O2 contract. That was the first thing i asked for and in the past 2 months there has been a huge spike.. its like harrassment.. random messages at 3 am at night. Last one was 3 nights ago bloody annoying.

neo158 says:

I have call blocking on my Windows Phone.

poddie says:

I don't think so.

neo158 says:

This is a Samsung, yes that company who don't support their phones, specific feature not a WP feature!!

dalydose says:

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think that you do.

neo158 says:

You are wrong, Samsung included call blocking on the ATIV S. Look at that, a manufacturer that added a feature no one else has and then they get flack about no support!!!!

kirklyt says:

That's good.. As it would be useful for u, imo. How about sms..? A version of L920 has this too, but it's carrier locked. Meaning u have to use it w/ some chinese cellular provider for it to work. But Microsoft is the key here, it should come from them, so all OEMs would have access to such features. Huawei, HTC, Nokia, Samsung etc. If they have so many else to do, why not just open it up for devs and let them do their thing, right.? Back in my Android days I have Kaspersky Mobile Security for such features needed.

neo158 says:

That's the only thing it doesn't have is SMS blocking but thankfully I don't get much in the way of spam SMS messages.

dalydose says:

Wait...Samsung has this? Oh...the FRAGMENTATION...the EXCLUSIVE...I'm going to back to my iDroid! /s :)

mrshamoozoo says:

I want custom SMS tones!

dalydose says:

ME TOO! I've been waiting to put Morse Code that says "SMS" on mine! Sorry that's what happens when you mix former military with nerd! :)

jabtano says:

Now that I would enjoy. Not many know it now -a- days but if you sail or if you ham it's a must know how..

Vb2012 says:

Wtf Microsoft better release app side of data sense !!!!!!!

polychromenz says:

dude give it up already, you made you point, stop spamming the thread witrh the same comment. They wont read this and this oh he really needs it lets stop everything and add it.

Vb2012 says:

So carriers have the option of screwing -_- us Nokia counters needed

theefman says:

Funny that its taken months to get these tiny updates. Holding Nokia back with their snail's pace of updates.

Vb2012 says:

I can't believe we won't be getting data sense -.-

Rem97 says:

Why so many comments? couldn't you of said it all in one comment?

To spread hate !!!

Why aren't u pissed ?? Data sense should already have been in our phones -_-

Rem97 says:

I wouldn't use it personally, but even if i was annoyed at MS i wouldn't hate them.

Vb2012 says:

Well im not rich so tht means i need to check my data consumption

driver_king says:

If you're so poor and angry, why don't you switch providers? Like maybe to T-Mobile perhaps? Unlimited data? $30/mo? Cheaper? No? Stop the immaturity, please. Anger lowers your IQ anyway, so it doesn't help to be angry all the time when trying to logic out situations.

Vb2012 says:

Im not even in America wow and u say my iq is low

driver_king says:

No, that is not what I said. My original inquiry stands. Why don't you try switching to a less expensive carrier?

Josh Harman says:

It is on my phone, blame your carrier. Go to their site and rant on...

poddie says:

Who's not getting data sense? How do you know? I haven't seen anything specific about who will and won't yet...

Vb2012 says:

Well when i connect the dots it seems i could be right

K_lando says:

The dots connected in these comments only point to you being a complete and utter fucking crybaby.

aitt says:

No 7.5 support no care. /sarcasm

7.8 ever heard of it ??

aitt says:

You obviously missed the sarcasm

Lol sory :P

Jf.Vigor says:

youre immature, and i would like for you to think more  before you post

nightryder21 says:

Heard of it... yes. Actually seen it... nope. Out of all 7.5 phones which ones actually received the update?

Robborboy says:

I know the Lumia 900 and Dell Venue Pro have it.

i want radio in L620, i love my Design L620..

mprice86 says:

It's not part of the phone's hardware so there's nothing that can be done about that.

nessinhaw says:

actually it has fm radio, just do some research...now why they don't want to turn it on 620 aswell? that's a mistery...

Vheissu says:

But will there be custom notification tones that is the real question

DaBlackGod says:

Ok cool but what's the efin point! give us a release date! This is the dame crap Android do!

Studio384 says:

Improved HTML support in Internet Explorer? I wonder what version of IE are we talking about? 11 looks to early. 10.1? 10.5?

Vb2012 says:

Well html 5 score on IE11 is not very promising 355 i mean really it needs to be at 400 -_-

Vb2012 says:

This improvement is just a gimmick

TheSuperShoe says:

This sounds great. I'm looking forward to it... Now they just need to add XBox Video and I'll be really happy.

erasure25 says:

Omg jes!! Need Xbox Video.

Darren Walsh says:

Do you think I will be waiting long for Vodafone Ireland to release it as I'm still on 1249, I rang them and they're not helpful at all!!

squidgyimp says:

You should be on Meteor/eMobile, better coverage, cheaper tariff's and best of all, updates that are not delayed or forgotten about. ;-)
By the way we are on 1308. :)

I sure freaking hope that it's coming sooner that we think! It's kinda like the meatloaf... MA! WE WANT IT NOW!!

nightryder21 says:

The GDR2 update release will be useless without a fix to the "Other" Storage bug. This bug makes the phone USELESS. Well, maybe to only make phone calls.

Man, that's freaking WEIRD... but I'm able to use my phone just fine. I'm just more selective about my apps and storage.

Not denying the issue, just saying stop making a mole hill into a mountain.

phirefly says:

The size of the hill would depend on your phone. The 8S with only 4gb would be almost useless. The 521 with 8gb requires selectiveness. My 920, I hardly notice it.

DenniSundaY says:

On a HTC 8x, when you're under 900mb of space left, the phone is starting to become really buggy and laggy. Really weird...

phirefly says:

I notice the 521 gets laggy when it's low on space too

punkJD says:

My htc 8x is literally eating my memory, i had 900 mb, i didn't installed anything and the memory just dropped to 400 mb. I just don't understand this.

peterfares says:

4.14GB in my mother's 16GB 8X is hardly making a mole hill into a mountain.
And now that's on 16GB devices. On an 8GB device 4.14GB would be ~66% of the user storage.

uopjo6 says:

Other Storage 4GB
System 2GB
Essential apps (Whatsapp etc) installed
ZERO Games
Media all in SD.

Have less than 800MB left and can't even buy one major game.
Need to be careful with updates. etc etc.

My gf's 820 is a dumbphone now. That's just me btw. Some people are reporting Other Storage racking up at 8-10GB.

But again my 920 hardly noticed this problem after I turned off Autoupload to Skydrive. The other storage dramatically slowed down. But it still has 4-5GB in it and I can't get rid of it no matter what.

aitt says:

Lol the days of seeing people pissed at updates waiting like Android

lbaxter says:

Come on, AT&T 8X! :)

nightryder21 says:

I'm sorry... not being ale to capture the moment of my nephew kissing a giraffe at the zoo was really not frustrating at all. My wife knowing how to hard reset her phone when Other Storage takes up 10+ GB s just ok. Not being able to download the Great Gatsby album before our trip to New York was a moment of joy. Having to go through and delete apps even when there are not enough to bring up the 'quick letter menu' (don't know the official name) was so mich more fun than playing Contre Jour so i deleted it. Not being able to use the functions my wife got the phone for at $500+ is really ok. I am over reacting. Sorry guys!

phirefly says:

I agree, I feel the other issue deserved an urgent patch.

punkJD says:

I completely agree. This is really annoying me. I delete things and sometimes the memory just drops again without me doing anything.

jlynnm350z says:

Need a tissue?

rubenbest says:

I still want custom text tones sheesh

Vb2012 says:

I cant believe i falled for the data sense coming to all rumor :'( the app side not the compression by the way !!

Vb2012 says:

Now im gonna have to start begging Nokia for a counter :/

Josh Harman says:

Joe Belfiore said that "data sense will be coming to more phones later in 2013" you never promised data sense. If someone did promise you with that, then you take it up with that person.

Rubios says:

Any news about the whole other storage thing?

NightWatch71 says:

+820. I'm not going to delete anything and I'm definitely not going to reset my phone so fix this already!

Pages