Lumia 625 on Telcel in Mexico receiving Lumia Cyan

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

WPCentral News

Swing by the forums if your Lumia 925 or Lumia 625 grabbed the Lumia Cyan update

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Nokia Lumia 625 available at Carphone Warehouse for just £79.95

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia Lumia 625

First images of a supposed 4.7” Nokia Lumia 625 get revealed

It looks like Nokia still has a few variants of their Lumia line to release, with the latest earning the name Lumia 625. That low number means we’re looking at an entry level device, one that presumably would be like the Lumia 620 but perhaps sporting some new internals for radios, etc.

But according to a post on Tieba baidu, the upcoming device has some rather different specs and dimensions.  Basically it’s a 4.7-inch WVGA device with no ClearBlack display and is roughly the size of the Lumia 920 and a 2000 mAh battery. No word on memory or CPU, though 1GHz and 512mb seem to be up for consideration.

Nokia Lumia 625

The only thing interesting about this phone is of course, the size of the display, which would be the first of the Lumias to breach the 4.5-inch barrier. That could be a hint to Nokia’s future devices and the market pressure they’re feeling, mostly from Samsung and LG, to “go big” even on non-high end devices.

The Lumia 625 has no release date, though it looks like it’s getting close. It’s also most likely destined for Asian markets, though we’ll have to wait to find out more.

Source: Tieba.baidu; Thanks, AIKON, for the tip!

Comments

cckgz4 says:

I would definitely buy that

Wish my 920 was at least 4.7. Main reason I am not upgrading to 1020, other than the 32gb. Miss my titan 1's screen size.

Ticomfreak says:

+920

Hated the storage on my Titan though. 32 GB is good for me. 16GB was just at the point where it was barely a problem, but still there.

I owned the HTC TITAN, but HTC failed to provide any update and exclusive apps! Now I own Lumia 920 and love every bit of it! I would never buy HTC phone again!

I'm with you on that. I would really like a 5" nokia

TreizFaction says:

Ditto 5+ inches screen, would love to see something around six or seven even. more choices is better

MrDaedra says:

Goddamn! Why should I buy 5 inch monster phone if I only want a good thing?

That's what she said.

It made more sense when it just said "5 inch monster" :P

Kellzea says:

Maybe....and this is crazy but hear me out....maybe, they didn't think about what you wanted. Maybe they were looking at ways to get new customers by offering what are essentially feature smart phones. Crazy i know. But maybe, just maybe this ones not made with you in mind.

enzom09 says:

Wow that is one thick phone! I guess it's for those budget people that hate that budget phones also mean smaller size. Looks like it would a be a cool backup for me.

sri_tech says:

I think the angle at which the pictures were taken make it look thicker.
It will be very good seller in countries like India. People want big screen phones here and they dont mind WVGA resolution at all if the price is right.
Nokia need to price it in between 620 and 720.

Edit: Also bezel at the bottom much smaller compared to 620, 720 and 820.

I don't think it's that thick, it's just the angle of the picture. Anyway, massive screen with low res and only 512 mb of RAM... I don't think it will be very popular (at least not outside China).

sri_tech says:

Add India to the list where it will be popular and big seller. People here want big screen phones. They dont care about WVGA resolution if the price is low.

jsnod25 says:

Its not thick, just the angle.

sholokov says:

Or the "curve". ;)

enzom09 says:

Yea I just rechecked the image and it is the angle haha, whoops! Again I think one of the reasons you see so few 620s compares to 520s and 720s is the small 3.8inch screen size on the 620. Again keep in mind this is a budget device. Should be priced around 270 off contract?

James8561 says:

that's hideous.
is Nokia being Samsunized?

In Limbo says:

I was looking for those words. We are in agreement.

So much for usability...

Ticomfreak says:

Well, Nokia is the Samsung of Windows Phone in every manner, so...

Except being bland.

Fndlumia says:

Nokia is the Nokia.....the one and only

Fndlumia says:

Didn't like the correlation with Samsung as Nokia has the longest history of mobile tech and innovation. Like comparing a Porsche to a Hyundai

sri_tech says:

It looks exactly like Lumia 620 with bigger screen and much better than any samsung device.

Its difficult put lot of effort into low end devices. They already designed different phones in the Lumia line up. 520, 720, 920, 925 looks different to every other phone.
620 and 820 looks more common.

cannon#WP says:

It looks like the other Nokia devices except for the 925...so you're right it does look bad

If it will be the only one with a display over 4.5" it's ok, but if the Lumia line passes to huge displays on the next models...fail fail fail.The phablet market is a small one.

sholokov says:

They need a different line of products for the phabley category.

kasitechead says:

Trust me, at least in the UK, I see too many people with above 4.7", loads of S3, S4 and Notes included. The phablet market is very much growing and spiralling out of control.

peterfares says:

The phablet market is a small one.

Hah. You wish. Samsung has probably sold more Notes than Nokia has sold Lumias in all.
I can't wait until Nokia (or anyone else) makes a 5"+ WP8 with high end specs!

tissotti says:

Phablet market is small? There was 41 million phablets sold last year and there's expected to be over 50 million phableta this year.
Phablets might do ok in West, but they are THE thing in Asia.

Yes the phablet market IS SMALL.the only reason so many phablets have been sold so far, is because Samsung is a trend right now, so the fact that they only make high end devices with huge displays is the reason of those 40+ million sold.Once someone else becomes a trend with smaller form factor, the phablets will be gone, or at best become the very niche intended in the first place.You know, some of us want to be able to actually USE our devices on a daily basis, not just watch movies and play games :)

cannon#WP says:

Yes and for you people, there's the every other phone in the Nokia family. Us big screen users do not have a WP8 device yet so someone needs to step up. Also, the phablet market is not small and growing at a quick rate as the other 3 people have shown you.

You are implying that the 920 is not a huge phone. Even the 820 is on the big side.

rodneyej says:

@ Daniel Rubino.. You seem pretty confident that this phone is real.. How can you be so sure❔

rodneyej says:

How are they sure❔... I trust WPC before them..

pikablu0530 says:

It's not in this article, but in Engadget and at LiveSide http://www.liveside.net/2013/07/16/nokia-lumia-625-passes-certification-in-china-with-a-4-7-inch-screen/ it says the 625 passed official certification in both China and the FCC - that's enough proof that it's real.

rodneyej says:

That's why it bothers me.. Because it's not in THIS article.. We're talking about Daniel here guys... I'm still waiting for his reply so hopefully y'all can say "we told your dumb ass so Rodney"" lol❕

uopjo6 says:

Love 920 and Nokia but I can easily pass this rehash

Eas195 says:

4.7" with WVGA display will make the image display less sharper.... unless it has HD display.

thirdday2002 says:

Thanks for stating the obvious, Jim Nantz. "The team with the most points at the end of the game wins."

skshandilya says:

620 > 625. because of dpi and brightness/contrast etc.... they should have named this guy 525 instead. This phone is too big for the resolution. WVGA > 4.3 inches it not good.

Zamir Yusof says:

it's good but not great. considering it's (suppose to be)lower price tag I don't think most common people would be complaining about low res diplay.

NEED OF THE TIME A GREAT WINDOWS 8 LUMIA TABLET..........

clvrbas says:

Most of us would never see it. I wonder if this to try and compete with the Galaxy Mega line? The large screen size is a growing and important market.

HM02 says:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

Now Nokia's cooking with fire. Looks like the bigger screens are about to invade. Just give me a Samsung Note II sized Phablet and I'll be on my merry way.

rmichael75 says:

I am suspecting these might be dual sim too.

cybermoose89 says:

Looks a bit like HTC titan nice big screen though

peterfares says:

That screen size is a little more like it!
Not the other specs though.
Come on, Nokia! GDR3 this fall. I need a 5"+ 1080p screen, 2GB RAM, quad core, At least 16GB + microSD (or at least 32GB), and Qi charging built in!

If real, this could prove interesting.  I've been saying for years, that the mid to low end markets, are the best place to grow Windows Phone marketshare.  There are simply far more people on the planet who cannot afford high end "super" phones, to not take that end of the market seriously.  Even here in the United States, pre-paid MVNOs are growing at an astounding pace.  Just walk into a Walmart on any given day, and compare how post-paid activations they process vs. how many MVNO activations they sell.  It's not even a comparison.

And just like device users in the high end, device users in the mid to low end want to plug into the latest trends.  Currently, the latest trend is toward larger screens.  To be able to take a device that is essentially a cross between a Lumia 620 and a Lumia 520, slap a 5" screen on it, and sell it into the marketplace at a sub-$200 price point, that's like having a license to print money.  This goes doubly so, if you can give the phone a relatively thin formfactor, that will only make the screen look larger than it already is.

Even if this rumor is a fake, Nokia and Microsoft should seriously consider releasing phone(s) to fit those specs in the coming months.  If they can find a way to do this inexpensively, I would not sit around waiting for Android to come along and do it first, thereby drinking the milkshake on this.  I cannot speak at length on any authority about market desires in China, and India, and Africa, and South America,and the Middle East, but I know here in the US, if you put a product like this into circulation with smaller carriers like Cricket, and MVNOs like StraightTalk, Boost, and Virgin Mobile, you are going to have a hit on your hands - especially if you are first to market with a low cost 5" mobile.

SleepyTheDon says:

Makes absolutely ZERO sense for a mid spec phone to sport a 4.7 inch display

Zamir Yusof says:

makes sense if you consider some people need larger screen but don't mind sligthly underpowered internal. my mom is not a power user but then she need a larger screen to read comfortably so this can be a good option considering right now only high end wp8 devices get large display.

tissotti says:

I'm not sure some of you understand the idea here. These cheap phablets are huge in Asia.
There was +40 million phablets sold last year and that's expected to be 50 million this year.

ivo_apo says:

FINALLY!!! Nokia woke up and smelled the coffee. Market demand 4.7 + screen. That's the norm nowadays. Just look the best selling phones.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Big screen doesn't equal to big phone. Just look at the SG4 that boost 5' screen but is actually smaller in size than SG3 that have 4.8'. That's what I call top design.
Nokia MIST get it right: big screen, light body, top spec. 925 is step forward.
No, I don't own SG phone. I own ATIV which is awesome device - both OS and hardware. Nokia is getting there but not quite yet. Once they produce such phone I will switch.

I've played with an Ativ S and it doesn't come even close to the level of sturdiness and quality of a 920 or 820, so your argument is pretty invalid.Nokia knows how to make beautiful and durable devices, Samsung doesn't.

neo158 says:

If you like the phone bricking itself while doing a factory reset, dust in the FFC and overheating issues then yes they do!!!!!

ivo_apo says:

Compare 820 to ATIV? Man, seems that you've brainwashed. Don't get me wrong. Nokia support for WP ecosystem is second to none. They must up their game now. And quick.

neo158 says:

No more brainwashed than Nokia Fanboys!!!!!

Preferring a good design over shiny fake metal all over my device doesn't make me a brainwashed fanboy.Mind your words, cause saying a mediocre thing is better than a first-class one, is what actually makes YOU a fanboy.I'm not going to start a war here, but open your eyes for once!

harchestr says:

I'm quite sure the Ativ is nice but I'll stick with Nokia with its support, apps and Amber update. Especially Pro Camera. Also a 5" phone is still big no matter how you look at it.. I definitely see the size different when someone pulls out a Samsung.

time for 1gb memory please !!!  6x-7x : large screen, long battery and 1 gb ram, low cpu for low price anyway. I think 4" is perfect for 5xx which fits into everybody, just need more ram and battery.

sip1995 says:

MY NEXT PHONE NOKIA LUMIA 625

mjyumping says:

I wish the next phone on the 700 series has 1gb of RAM

nessinhaw says:

4.7" with 800x480 res and no CBD? i'll pass...

neo158 says:

Still not the largest screen of any Windows Phone, still no removable battery and still no ability to expand the storage. I'll just stick with my ATIV S, which has all of that BTW.

What the hell?
Why is this numbered as 625? That implies an upgrade to the 620.
Except that the 620 was already the perfect size. I feel offended at Nokia's lack of decently sized phones.
I got a Lumia 900 and it's way too huge to use comfortably and all the new devices get even bigger.
What the hell are they smoking?
I REALLY hope that the next generation will bring a device that fits as nicely into my hands as the 620, because I'll probably be upgrading next year. If they decide to not produce sub-4" screens anymore, I'll go to another company.

Seriously, what the hell is up with this trend? It seems that only Apple is doing it correctly - I wouldn't buy an iPhone, but it fits perfectly into my hand. Then again, the iPhone 5 is also shifting into this retarded direction.
Touchscreen phones are bad enough in terms of comfortable controls. Making the screens so big that you need two hands to control the damn things just makes it even worse.
Fuck, I want my hardware music controls and SMS typing back. I miss my N95.

Cellus13 says:

Thin side bezels. Yes!

Good battery, good screen size, but sure it will have just 8 GB of internal memory. You'll can use a 64 GB SD card, but can't fuck*ng install apps on it! My L710 is already full, and i have no music, no videos, no photos, just apps!
Please MS, allow us install apps on SD card. Let me buy this great phone.

Fndlumia says:

Apparently being released in Asia next week

To be honest, Nokia is making a good move. A low-end device with a large screen is not a bad idea. We have to remember its something Samsung is not doing. Also, there's still a small screen option at the L625s side. And knowing Nokia, this wont have a cheap feel.

sumton says:

4.7inch and 300$ yet the screen looks like crap with that washed out color

cannon#WP says:

First Samsung and now Nokia...come on HTC, we want a TITAN 8!!

The price and size is comparable to samsung galaxy grand, but who wins?

cdb033 says:

I wish the 1020 was that size.

ejlee072006 says:

Oh shit!! Here we go again...
Im skipping all lumias if they ain't 5 inch...

SEKKDS says:

Maybe off-topic:........but can somebody please tell me any reasons Nokia might be not even close to making a Windows Phone for SPRINT anytime soon??? Maybe this, or this "Rivendale".... or something could be a Sprint device? Any reason why not?

SHUT UP & TAKE MY MONEY !!!!!