Halo: Spartan Assault

Halo: Spartan Assault officially launching tomorrow, July 18th; Verizon has exclusive for 30 days

While we didn’t get a new Xbox LIVE game today for our Windows Phones, fear not as you were merely being teased. Yes, tomorrow at some time you will officially be treated to the long awaited Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

The information comes ironically from the official website (Halo Waypoint), which details the exact date as July 18th for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices. Even more interestingly, they detail how Verizon has the exclusive here in the US, which we told you about last week, for 30 days. That’s not too bad of a wait and should give Verizon customers something to be happy about. In the meantime, T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T users can keep themselves occupied with the Windows 8 PC or tablet version.

Finally, it is also noted that the game will only run on 1GB Windows Phones. But fear not, a version for 512MB devices like the Lumia 720 will be forthcoming, in fact August is the month given for that release. Once again, a perfectly acceptable wait.

Halo Spartan release date
Release date: 7/18/2013 as revealed on Halo Waypoint

We’ll have more information about Halo: Spartan Assault right here at Windows Phone Central as soon as the game gets the green light from Microsoft.

Source: Halo Waypoint; Thanks, Reid W. and Mike B., for the tips!

Comments

Josh Harman says:

And I suppose AT&T & Tmobile wowed you with their WP sales presentation?

Actually they did! L925 was hyped at my local Tmo store and the L1020 look like it took over at AT&T as the coming attraction.

Not to defend Verizon, as they sold out to Apple and pushed back their WP7 support to get their hands on the iPhone. (Which is costing them a few billion now as Karma does.)

However, the MAJORITY of Verizon stores are NOT corporate stores.  They are local franchise owners, and get very little direct training or support from Verizon.

As an example in a city of about 300,000 people, there are 30+ Verizon stores.  However, only TWO of them are actual corporate Verizon stores with real Verizon employees.

Goodeye says:

Usually the way to tell is if the have a "technician" side of the store where they do all the troubleshooting and warranty stuff .

UzaiBaka says:

Asked my other storage if I can download this game...it just laughed at me...

Josh Harman says:

I wonder what time exactly? I guess I'll be checking my phone all day.

Josh Harman says:

Should be a midnight release like games on Xbox. Best believe I will try at midnight.

Games on Xbox usually appear around 5-6am but I'm EST. Maybe they are going by PDT?

danj210 says:

Usually its every Wednesday around 2 Pm

Ratman826 says:

This is some bullshit, I waited for a month for this and now I have to wait another 30 days?

WP95 says:

bout time us Verizon users get something nice from MS. Im one of the verizon users who got stuck buying the 8X back in november because nokia decided not to make a high end lumia for big red. bout time we get something.

MadSci2 says:

L920 on AT&T.
Suddenly I feel like one of those HTC Second Class Citizens ;-)

That's it, I am switching to Verizon. /s

cddigi says:

The part with the release dates has been removed from the Spartan Assault page.

macky360 says:

Just noticed that myself. I'm hoping the 18th was not a mistake :( I was really looking forward to downloading this tomorrow.

Dk92 says:

And with that, comes doubt that it will be released tomorrow. *sigh*

Bo says:

The only reason why VZ is getting this first is because all of their phones have 1GB ram. This was mentioned in an earlier article. When the game was first announced they stated that it would only work initially on 1GB devices and they were working on another version to come out to devices with only 512MB ram.

Manny C says:

Awesome, can't wait to play it when it comes to the rest of the carriers! Enjoy is Verizon users.

xmarklive says:

Why can't they just remake halo 1 on the surface with the same controls as Spartan assault.

kingkoopa09 says:

It would be better if halo 1 was redone for tablets especially surface with controller support would be epic

spectre51 says:

Hey Ace, do you have any more of that gum?

Josh Harman says:

It's the 18th, where is my Halo?!?!?!??!?

Jean80 says:

Nokia exclusive - yay Nokia supports WP8 more. Don't buy HTC Samsung etc
Verizon exclusive - f*** you Verizon

Being an exclusive may be a bit silly, and I can understand the pain of 920 customers. However, Verizon customers had to wait for a LONG time to get their version of the 920, the 928, and it was not just 30 days.

** The other IMPORTANT thing to note is the udpated version that runs on the 512mb devices, etc is scheduled to be out around the time the 30 days are up, so it should then be available on more devices at that time as well.

With the 520 popularity and the other 512mb phones grabbing a lot of recent sales, it may be the smartest thing to do, since Verizon doesn't have a 512mb WP8 phone to worry about, it can be a clean launch and then as the 512mb version is ready for everyone can be a clean second launch.

This is the problem with this exclusivity crap. I bought a Nokia because that is were it was looking like all the exlcusives were going. Now this with Verizon? Now it has to be a Verizon Nokia? What's next? Only red models? Carrier exclusive, manufacturer exclusive, its just becoming a giant pain in the butt. This is what I suggest. I get that these people shelled out cash to be exclusive. Charge those qualifying $4.99 or whatever your going to charge. Then charge the rest of us $12.99 if we dont want to wait. At least there is an option. We are trying to get this Windows Phone thing going and if your regretting purchasing this model versus that model, it hurts the OS in the long run. At least offer a by up option for the app/game for those that purchased the "wrong" model.

On a side note...this 3rd person Halo idea is a great thought for the phones and Surface. Keep it up and bring us a 3rd person Gears of War. Dont stop here Microsoft. Keep dumping money in. Its what you did with the Xbox and it paid off.

GunplaGamer says:

Any one see it yet in the store?

Xithryl says:

its back up on the trinidad store

Robborboy says:

Just checked, didn't see it. :/

Xithryl says:

daaaannng maybe they took it down yet again :P it was up there a little bit ago, I didn't purchase it though.

Loz Blake says:

Can't see it here in the UK yet :(

Xithryl says:

Actually I'm still seeing it on the Trinidad store. TT$45.00 This is on Windows 8 Store
Anyone know the specifics of getting an app from a different region? What are the downsides if any?

GunplaGamer says:

how would i change my region on my phone and get to the store?

Ummmm...settings>Region

GunplaGamer says:

ok i did that and didnt find anything i was thinking i did something wrong, thanks i'll try later =]

Fishhouse says:

Kind of sucks it won't be on the Lumia 1020 when it releases. Poor planning in my opinion. It would be solid marketing to have an amazing camera and Halo on your phone.

It's kind of lame that Verizon gets the exclusive on this for 30 days, wasn't Verizon one of the late adopters of WP8?  I think it should be made available to all Lumia phones across the board.  This would make more sense considering the close ties between Microsoft and Nokia, and it would open sales up to a much broader base of customes, instead of the much smaller number of sales on Verizon for the first 30 days.
However, if they are doing this to use Verizon customers as guinea pigs to work out the initial bugs in the release, then so be it.

Josh Harman says:

Nope. Verizon had WP8 right from the start.

Don't think it's releasing today

Josh Harman says:

I'd be surprised if it's not. Windows Phone and Nokia US both tweeted that it was coming out today.

Pelatz says:

512mb version of game to be released in August apparently.

TrustySnooze says:

Well the release date notice on Halo Waypoint is gone...

Well that's a little scary...

Like I said above, I don't think it's coming out today...

MrThone79 says:

30 dayz of pain...

Robborboy says:

Looks like today's release was canned. GG Verizoff.

Josh Harman says:

Its is an ominously quiet about the subject. Nothing from Verizon, Windows Phone or Waypoint today.

DollOfWar says:

It's game day and the game is not there! Boo!

Dk92 says:

There's still time. Lets wait and see..

bsd107 says:

I'm on ATT, so I'll be skipping the WP8 version entirely and will just play it on W8. Nice job, MS, you cost yourself a Halo WP8 sale.

jlangner says:

Anyone seen it in W8 store...Would like to get for my surface pro.

cddigi says:

If you go to the Games app and click Windows Game Store, it is the first item shown under new releases. It's doesn't have a Store page yet though.

InkabodCrane says:

Xbox Support just tweeted that it IS coming out today and to look out for it in the store.

TrustySnooze says:

I don't believe it at this point.

InkabodCrane says:

They just announced at SDCC it'll be out at 4pm PST

InkabodCrane says:

They've just announced it'll be out at 4pm PST.

coip says:

4pm PDT, not PST. Show some love for daylight savings!

rreszler says:

Its 30 days quit crying already my god!

Pages