French Invasion

French telecom Iliad wants to drink Sprint's T-Mobile milkshake

T-Mobile's 'Uncarrier' momentum is taking off

T-Mobile launches new family-focused plan

HTC 8X for Verizon picks up small update, no Windows Phone 8.1 yet

Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 now available from the Microsoft Store, supports LTE on T-Mobile

Windows Phones

Lumia 635 now available for purchase on T-Mobile's site

More evidence emerges of Nokia Lumia 2520 on T-Mobile

Windows Phones

Home Shopping Network website takes pre-orders for T-Mobile Lumia 635

FTC claims T-Mobile charged customers millions for bogus SMS subscription fees [Updated]

T-Mobile and MetroPCS announce Lumia 635 with Windows Phone 8.1 for July with pricing

T-Mobile hits mid-year LTE expansion goal

Xbox Music a top contender for T-Mobile's Music Freedom

Tell T-Mobile you want to set Xbox Music free by voting

Un-carrier 6: T-Mobile frees music from your data limits

T-Mobile announces two massive network expansions

T-Mobile will proactively reach out to customers who were charged premium SMS fees

T-Mobile friendly version of the Lumia 1520 returns to Newegg, unlocked and full priced

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 530 reportedly headed to T-Mobile, Cricket

T-Mobile merger with Sprint looks more likely as Softbank and Deutsche Telekom agree on sale

T-Mobile holding Uncarrier 5.0 event in LA

HTC 8X OTA

Exclusive: T-Mobile US HTC 8X to receive GDR2 OS update on July 22nd

It should be clear now that OEMs and partners have begun to roll out the second Windows Phone 8 OS update for the year, dubbed ‘GDR2’, to various devices. With the Samsung ATIV S and HTC 8X getting the update in the last 48 hours, it’s obvious that things are now moving.

Earlier, we told you that T-Mobile US was testing the GDR2 OS update for the Nokia Lumia 810. On that device we were unsure if it actually will be updated versus the carrier just testing it. However, we can now definitively say that another device, the HTC 8X will get the update and it is scheduled to happen within the next four days, on July 22nd.

T-Mobile HTC 8X GDR2

We say “scheduled” only because T-Mobile has cancelled previous updates in the past with very short notice, due to some bugs found. While that could happen here, the company seems confident that the update is “gold” and ready for distribution.

According to an internal memo obtained by Windows Phone Central, and seen above, the OS update (10327) will begin to roll out next Monday and it will include Data Sense (much like their Lumia 925). The memo also notes and improved camera and an “improved user experience”.

Hopefully more specifics will come forward in the coming days, including whether or not Wi-Fi calling will be on board as well as FM Radio and the temporary file cleaner.

Comments

rubenbest says:

Cmon att nokia next pretty please.....ill throw sprinkles on top... (hate cherry's)

clappenings says:

I'll frost the whole cake for them if they push GDR2 to Lumia in the next few days :)

if only there was a like/recommend comment system.... oh well. in the meantime: +1

(sadly wpcentral does not allow windows 8 emoticons. i was gonna use the thumbs up)

cruisezero says:

I just tweeted to ATT Customer Service. As usual they have no information. If they did not have top of the line phone selections I would drop them at a heartbeat.

MadSci2 says:

AT&T Customers should go back to checking the Weather Reports in Hell as usual

rubenbest says:

Lol u mad bro?

anon5351951 says:

Tell me about it! I got a Nokia windows phone because I expected to be first in line for things like this!!! Does anybody know how or when a device gets updated if it's not associated with a carrier? We have very different systems in New Zealand.. Does Microsoft eventually roll out the update or will I have to force again somehow like I did with my WP7?

theroyboy44 says:

you can't be first for everything ;p

aitt says:

Lol expected. Only Nokians.

danielgray says:

Well i wouldn't hold your breath, in Australia we got out updates 3months after U.S.A.. My unbranded phone got its update 6 weeks after the carrier. Nokia Australia suck, not sure New Zealand is any better

bjd223 says:

The Nokia update includes Amber. Other devices like HTC and Samsung are only getting the GDR2 update. That is why this time it is taking longer for Nokia phones.

Flagz says:

Yep this is gonna happen just like Spartan Assault for Verizon today. LMFAO and I'm a Tmobile 8X user and I won't believe to I see it. I love Tmobiles speed, service, and price but I know how evil they are to WP and just updates in general

SA is coming, take my word for it.

kiddj55 says:

What about snapchat? ;)

KKRLessey says:

Why Microsoft got ride of the windows phone update progress page I'll never know

Because it went from no update planned to now updating overnight. I know it was supposed to give us information on when the phones would get updates in advance, but it never did. In some cases you would be stuck on no update planned, yet if you checked your phone you got the update. Completely worthless if it didn't have reliable information.

Man....now I gotta wait till Monday LAME lol

ninny1176 says:

As a vzw user I am not holding my breath to see gdr2 on 928 anytime soon

clappenings says:

Daniel, any insider knowledge on GDR2 for Nokia?

Dusteater says:

Hope my 521 gets it soon too!

shahidw says:

Loving how HTC is in news today more than Nokia. Lol

clappenings says:

Maybe it's a sweetener to keep their customers playing along

juanitoriv says:

Its about GD time!!!!!

Yes!! That makes me feel alot better having a 8x device now.

DJCBS says:

Let us hope T-Mobile Deutschland does the same with their Lumias.

Also great to know they're putting Data Sense since then I can expect it in Europe too

Well u are lucky me on the other hand has to beg Nok to bring back their counters. -.-

toph36 says:

I hope they can figure out how to get this released to all phones in a shorter period of time.

dbam987 says:

Your move, Verizon. Your due date is the 22nd of July, circa 2013 A.D.

jlynnm350z says:

What? Nokia is not first? This is an outrage! I want some heads on a platter for this!!!

theroyboy44 says:

buzz killed i was hoping by some luck i could update by tonight

damo579 says:

I think gdr2 will be released when the 1020 is released,hopefully the pro camera app will be available at the same time.

on att maybe... but tmobile doesnt get the 1020, so that would make absolutely no sense on tmobile. TMobile now has the 925 which already has GDR2. So a few days after release of the device it debuted on for mass release of GDR2 makes sense.

And i think pro camera comes on the 1020... im not even sure if other lumias will even get it...

I think nokia wants Amber out at the same time, which is still a bigger update for Lumia user compared to only getting the gdr2, and lets HTC get their update out of the way... And there are significantly more Nokia devices out there so maybe its better for carriers to roll it out in smaller patches first just to make sure everything works? I have no clue how these things work. Just speculating. For the fun it.

kiddj55 says:

I don't know why everyone is surprise HTC was first with GDR1 but it was delayed and came after Nokia

jlangner says:

Hell yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iknowsingh says:

I just told a friend with an AT&T 8X that I'm assuming GDR2 will arrive around the 1020's release. I figured so because the 925 just dropped on T-Mobile yesterday and just 5 days later is when GDR2 drops. The same may happen for AT&T... just my hunch.

lbaxter says:

Hope you're right. My AT&T 8X could use a little sprucing up soon.

valuxin says:

Hope, Verizon are going to make move this month (both for Nokia and HTC)...

nightryder21 says:

Too bad it does not contain a fix for the "Other" Storage bug. Stupid MS. I bought my 925 thinking that it would have been resolved. After 48 hours "Other" is at 2.19 GB.

deloa84 says:

This is great news. Just a couple more days and Il update my mom's 8X I got her as a gift. Hopefully it has FM radio which is what she listens to at work all the time.

Will GDR2 make my music albums play in the correct track order? Right now some of my music plays in order and some doesn't. The odd thing is that in both cases I bought the music on my WP7 HTC Arrive. (Nokia 928 Now if anyone cares)

curly722 says:

On my birthday =D

Installing GDR2 on my htc 8X, here in Sweden,right now :-)

debo8501 says:

HTC 8x needed it first just to bring that phone up to speed with the Lumia. Once the Lumia gets it, back to being so far ahead. Lol

jassp87 says:

Amber update! Come on!!!

blackhawk556 says:

GRD2 includes what again?

Eas195 says:

I think Nokia will release the GDR2 along with Amber update in August, but I don't sure about that.

ricardios says:

Yes, this is my phone. WiFi calling would be killer even though where I'm at has excellent coverage

I am on T-Mobile.
I have 3 phone models:

• Lumia 920, originally for AT&T, unlocked.
  • Lumia 820, international edition, factory never locked
  • Lumia 620, international edition, factory never locked

Will I ever receive the GDR2 and Amber from T-Mobile?
I already called T-Mobile support and asked that question.
The support personnel had no clue how to answer.

Tmobile support and store employees are freakin stupid. They never know the answer to anything. Att are bad as well. They had the hd7s and their site said they had a speck case in their stores. Because my hd7 was a tmobile phone. She couldn't help me and didn't understand what the hd7s was.

OSean says:

It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason the 810 is rumored to get the update is because of this move on HTC's part.

Emilin123 says:

wasnt the OS Updates belong to Microsoft??

edsal says:

I went to the local t-mobile store here in L.A to check on the 925 it was way at the back of the store this phone have no chance with TM. EOL in five to six moths all i was greeted with was iphone and android big sign buy me nothing for windows phone that's really sad to see this again(810).

I am crying tears of joy.  This is the first time since Portico that TMO has mentioned the 810!  We are not forgotten yet!  Granted we might still be ignored.

peterfares says:

AT&T is dropping the ball this time! They were first out with the 920 GDR1 update. By a month. Now they're going to be last with GDR2.

Mathew Bover says:

Hi all,
I got gdr2 on my htc x8 on tmobile in UK
8.0.10327.77
not much i can see different... NO custom message tones so very let down by this.

Kevin Cuffe says:

I'm on Vodafone UK with HTC 8X and received the update this morning but as far as i can see no data sense or other changes.  which is extremley disapointing as i've been waiting for data sense or something like it for quite a while now.
K

Mark Enderby says:

My VodaUK 8X also updated this week but only to 8.0.10211.204 so not GDR 2 :-(

Mark Enderby says:

I paid more attention when I did my wife's update. There was no change to the Win 8 version - guess it was a preparatory firmware update.

Muki Blog says:

I got it too. On Htc 8s. Slovenia.

What is the current OS version. Just looked at my 521 and it shows 10211.

eruptflail says:

Yay, I won't have cell service until the 27th.

lwhitmarsh says:

Two HTC 8Xs on T-Mobile and neither are reporting an update... i'll update in a few days whether or not an update is pushed to either.

rysliv says: