Xbox

Halo: Nightfall's lead character Agent Locke revealed, will also appear in Halo 5

Halo Waypoint app support to end August 1

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live connectivity issues affecting Xbox 360 and Xbox One; Netflix and Twitch also down

PSA: Xbox Live currently experiencing issues, impacts Xbox One and Xbox Music

Xbox

Halo: The Master Chief Collection available for pre-order on Amazon, already top selling video game

Xbox One coming to India in September starting at INR 39,990

Halo: Master Chief Collection announced, coming to Xbox One November 11

Xbox Live Gold members can now get two free games on their Xbox One

Games

Minecraft: Halo Edition swaps pickaxe for energy sword on Xbox 360 tomorrow

Microsoft hires comedian David Mitchell for latest Lumia UK ads

Xbox Live could be ditching the Gold requirement for Netflix, Hulu

Xbox

Halo television series might have found a co-op partner in Showtime

Xbox Live sign-in disrupted for some Xbox One users

Xbox Originals coming in June, including two Halo shows

Microsoft announces Xbox Live Gold Rush program in select Asian countries

Games

Microsoft kicks off universal Windows games with Halo: Spartan Assault

Games

Halo: Spartan Assault on sale today through the 9th for $1.99

Games

Xbox Live puzzle game Hexic arrives on Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices

Games

Halo Spartan Assault gets an epic mobile Windows sale next week, plus a Steam release

Xbox

Xbox Live core services down, some users unable to sign into Xbox Live on the Xbox One [Update]

Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows Phone 8

Halo: Spartan Assault now available for Windows Phone 8

It’s been teased for a month now and we even told you that it was coming out today, but now we can tell you officially that Halo: Spartan Assault, is live in the Store for Windows Phone 8.

Building off of the hit franchise and 18 months in the making, Halo: Spartan Assault is Microsoft’s attempt to capitalize off of the famous first shooter game for mobile. Instead of just “porting” the FPS model over though, a paradigm that is difficult to translate onto tablets and smartphones, Microsoft and 343 Industries opted for a third-person overhead view, which is more arcade style. The game’s timeline takes place in the four years between Halo 3 and 4.

In addition, the developers spent months honing game play to make the frame rate as high (and smooth) as possible and just as importantly, ensured that the game controls were fluid and flexible. From our last 24 hours playing with it, we can confirm that as a “casual gamer”, we found the game highly accessible and extremely well-polished.

From the game description:

“Halo: Spartan Assault brings the excitement of Halo combat to touch-based devices for the very first time. Battle your way through 25 action-packed missions against the Covenant as you explore the origin of the Spartan Ops program and Halo 4's Spartan Commander, Sarah Palmer.”

Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows Phone 8

And don’t let those 25 missions fool you as Halo: Spartan Assault isn’t a one-off game for Microsoft, but rather the beginning of this game’s story. In the future, we can expect more missions and add on packs to be released, ensuring the game’s longevity long after you beat all of those levels (2.5 hours of gameplay).

In addition to Windows Phone 8, the game is also available for Windows 8 PCs and Tablets (including RT), scaling up the action to your larger screened devices.

Game Features

Halo: Spartan Assault

• Original "Halo" gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view.
  • New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of "Halo 3" and "Halo 4," experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio.
  • Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and console-like controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets.
  • Integration with "Halo 4." Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your "Halo 4" Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch.
  • Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Medals.
  • Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.

Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows Phone 8

Finally, the game also supports optional in-app purchasing to gain more credits (credits are earned with normal game play too). We wrote about the IAP system back in June, noting:

“Those credits can be spent on different equipment to customize your loadout with prior to starting a level. Loudouts include both primary and secondary weapons, armor abilities, and boosters. A few armor abilities we know of: a health regeneration field, overshield, and sprinting. As for boosters, they make the game easier to play by increasing the damage that players deal and other beneficial effects.”

Overall, Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows Phone 8 was a worthwhile wait. Microsoft and Windows fans finally have a notch on their belt of one more “must have” game and the title should appeal to everyone from casual gamers to the hardcore user.

Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows Phone 8

Pick up Halo: Spartan Assault here in the Store for $6.99. Windows Phone 8 only, 1GB of RAM, 691 MB.

In the US, restricted to Verizon wireless customers only for 30-days. 512MB devices to receive support in August, 2013.

Head to the Windows Phone Central game zone to discuss Halo:Spartan Assault, get help or look for tips! forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-games

QR: Halo

Comments

1ll1TERAT3 says:

Is there ANY way to get it if i own an at&t lumia 920? Switching regions? Anything? Please say so if anyone has any ideas.

1ll1TERAT3 says:

Looks complicated, but thanks I will try it!

1ll1TERAT3 says:

Wait, is fiddler available for mac? :(

1ll1TERAT3 says:

used a friend's pc and it worked! THANKS so much!

tone84 says:

Unable to download.. Windows phone8

tallgeese says:

Not that I'm desperate to have this NOW, but these exclusive carrier deals for Windows Phone 8 apps really is a bad practice for the platform.

V Turk says:

its not coming up onthe uk market place

vaderthedog says:

Yes good game !....lumia 820

Not available on HTC 8X

NickMon68 says:

Vodaphone UK here.

Lumia 920 - Says not available for my region/device.

wtf - talk about another c**k up launch !

Where the limited WP8 phone in Halo Green in a Onmi packaging ?
Where the Xbox dashboard adverts?

some on MS step it up ffs

AhmedEzz says:

It says its not available for my phone
Lumia 920 - Egypt

pr0phecy says:

Gonna download this for my Surface RT. I'm @work now so I'm gonna have to wait till I get home... And guys? What do you think of the game? Please tell me it's kick-ass!!

Psyk00 says:

Can't download it in Poland ;/

orejas666 says:

Still nothing in my L920, US configuration. I think the sim have something here. Costa Rica, Kolbi

GunplaGamer says:

WORKSS!!! :D and very easy to do!
Downloading now!! :D

On a Lumia 920 AT&T!

MyThIc3LiTe says:

I tried on my phone using a Rogers sim card, I still can't download it.
Weird.
I don't know what more to do at this point.

Hello Everyone,
[UPDATE]
!!! NOT GOOD IDEA !!! the space is not enough and the phone started hanging when you get to 500MB free space.
I was able to workaround the check of the storage using the Store Site and send the game to my phone, it worked with around 3GB of free space. You can give it a try.
[UPDATE 2]
Installing XAP form SD card is working fine I can confirm that 2 GB are enough.

vaderthedog says:

Ahh,even though there's so much trollin on these forums im gonna END YOUR PAINS !.. This will only work for non American networks.any network whose primary network is u.s.a based will not let u download (except Verizon) ...i am uk ee and i saved the game from pc to sd card then put a o2 (uk) sim in my phone (lumia 820) then installed game from sd card via game hub...put back my ee sim And everything's working fine......i can only confirm this method for phones with sd.....so non usa,put a sim from your own country and it will install...i am legend.

marpadwpc says:

I'm living outside of US, but I can't install it. It's not available for my device. WTF? I've got an HTC 8X.

busngabb says:

Is it exclusive to any network in the UK? Why do they insist on pissing about like this, just release it ffs. Its not available on my 8X or 920

naz92 says:

Hey got info that there's a problem with the game working outsides of the usa for some users and that they are working on it could take a day or 2

Dancsi31 says:

Game is available in Canada now, L820 unlocked, not carrier branded using Fido sim card. I can search for it and the game is here, for 7$ + tax and available for the phone aswell. :)
The few people with Bell, Telus and Wind should test it again if the game is there. It is for me now :)

Game keeps crashing randomly on my l920... is it because of it getting hot? Or what... :/

DarthJay38 says:

I will gladly wait until August 15th to pick up this game, but I just have to say that I think an exclusive release to Verizon users was a slap in the face to die-hard Windows Phone users like myself. Yeah, I get WHY they did it...Verizon has the latest and greatest Windows Phone right now and they are trying to draw more people into the ecosystem. That's all well and good, so I understand the marketing of it. Let's flash back to a few years ago though when Windows Phone was new to the market.

AT&T was pretty much the only option if a user wanted to pick up a decent Windows Phone handset, so those of us that were early adopters signed on with them and supported the platform. We showed our friends and family and helped get word of mouth out about the system, while Verizon was off saying things like "Windows Phone isn't an innovative, leading edge product..." When Windows Phone 8 came around, the best handset (arguably) was the Lumia 920...again, pretty much ONLY an AT&T option. So I would venture a guess that a good 80% of the people who have been early adopters of Windows Phone (and I'm talking in the US) are probably on AT&T.

Now, it speaks volumes to the platfom that Verizon has gone from their position a few years ago to now carrying the latest and greatest Lumia handset...but my point is that most die-hard users of the Windows Phone aren't on Verizon and have to wait a month to get the game on our phones. Will we wait the month? Yes. Will we survive? Of course. Will this make us abandon the platfom? Never. I just wanted to point out that it kinda sucks.

On that note...anybody have a Lumia 925 I could borrow for the next month?

justop26 says:

Seems international users can now download it! Just got my UK unlocked, unbranded 920 with a US account being used here in Panama City, Panama it's much needed Halo: SA dose.

vkelkar says:

Playng and enjoyng on my L820 in India... Awesome game

TechAbstract says:

Verizon has 1 month exclusive, they better advertise this.

Seribble2013 says:

Downloaded and installed onto my surface RT, works great....but won't install on my Tmob Lumia 810 here in the US, getting 805a0914 error message since the 18th....oh well, screen proly too small anyway....would love to know WHY though....space? carrier? phone type? exclusives?

Pages