Nokia: "By the end of the year, there'll be very few, if any key applications that aren't in the development pipeline or published"

Bryan Biniak

Engadget took time out to sit down with Bryan Biniak, VP and General Manager of Global Partner and App Development at Nokia, to ask about app development on Windows Phone. Since today was also the UK launch of JobLens, as well as a new partnership with Entrepreneur First to help fuel mobile innovation in young minds seeking to start new businesses.

Biniak explained how the Windows Phone ecosystem is growing quickly and most-wanted apps are more the question of "when?" and not "if only."

"We're not having a single conversation with anybody, of any material application that's out there, that isn't going to be coming to the platform. It's not a matter of if -- I had those conversations, the "if" conversations, before -- all of our conversations now are "when." It's maturing, and it's time to come in. By the end of the year, there'll be very few, if any key applications that aren't in the development pipeline... or published."

While there are gaps in the catalogue of apps for Windows Phone, developers who support the platform have shown consumers that just because an app isn't official, doesn't mean it's not worth the time checking out. A perfect example of this would be 6Sec by Rudy Huyn, an unofficial Vine app. That said, it's always good to have the backing of larger brands.

Biniak also touched on Google, who has displayed a lack of will to support Microsoft's mobile platform, ignoring its own consumers who utilise Google products and own a Windows Phone. "They are doing themselves a disservice by not being on every screen," explains Biniak. "That will get resolved over time, but as consumer demand builds, they're not going to have an option."

Microsoft and Nokia have managed to secure partnerships and deals for Windows Phone that have introduced unique experiences for consumers. The Windows Phone Store will continue to grow with official and popular apps arriving, which are already available on other platforms. Many companies and developers are already looking at Windows Phone as yet another screen to get their work published on. As Biniak rightfully stated, it's simply a matter of when?

Source: Engadgetthanks, cyber_k9, for the tip!

Comments

SmoothDog says:

Now. Follow through.

They will , no company offers the support that Nokia offers, I will ride with Nokia till the end .

SmoothDog says:

Agree, totally. Love Nokia and my 920. I just get frustrated with MS stumbling along and making mistakes along the way. I hope Nokia keeps up their push to be the best and take it to the house.

Karanstyle says:

MSFT made the OS and forgot whereas Nokia alone is taking care of all the consumer needs and Nokia pushes out more apps, updates, features, etc than MSFT or any other WP manufacturer.

OMG55 says:

MS didn't forget anything, what most of you here are forgetting is that Nokia is doing exactly what MS is funding and paying them to do; make good devices, bring features and apps aboard. This is why the surface phone by MS may never happen, because its a plan b thing if Nokia would fail and thus far they're doing an excellent job. Don't forget that MS is give Nokia millions of dollars to do what their doing and this is why Joe B is at the Nokia campus on a regular basis

SMMinke says:

Yes. I chuckle when I hear people say "It's all Nokia". No, Mictosoft has been very successful by standing in the shadows over the years and funneling money to its partners and subsidizing development so that those partners can post losses on one side while remaining profitable of the other. Long-term strategy always wins out in the end. ;-)

paulheu says:

Actually at this point, Nokia is paying MSFT more in licensing than they receive.

Also 250mio/quarter is peanuts really where Nokia single handedly has put WP on the map. Nokia is worth MUCH more to MSFT then what the are paid for and this will come to hunt MSFT when the current agreement is up. Nokia will demand, and get, much more and not only financially. At this time no Nokia == no WP

Karanstyle says:

1. Yes MSFT is funding Nokia but as per the Deal and MSFT is not at all ordering/paying Nokia to Interfere in Nokia's Business. Else all those goodie Apps & games wouldn't have been Nokia's "Lumia Exclusive", then all other OEMs like: HTC, Samsung,etc would've enjoyed those goodies.

2. MSFT Surface Phone pls atleast let them push proper updates for WP8 OS then ask them for a Surface Phone.

3. They on purpose dont want Nokia to survive thus not pushing proper & timely updates. So as soon as either one of Nokia or HTC fails they can Buy the either one of the OEM and make their own phones. That's the reason Nokia's VP Bursted Out on MSFT, HTC is concentrating more on Android Devices and Samsung hardly tries, Huawei is on Android and doesn't care much.

4. Joe B is comes to Nokia Campus or is called over there we dont  know that much but truth is Point 4 above.

5. And those Great design of Nokia doesnt come from MSFT like you said. MSFT is trying to hunt down Nokia or HTC for now.

I don't believe it's MS stumbling. They and Nokia are executing very well, it's just that Apple and Google are totally kicking ass and haven't made a single misstep yet.
That said, if MS can get Instagram and Square on the platform, it'll probably take off faster.

I'm with you on that Nokia till I'm dead lol

Entirely agree with you. Nokia just ROCKS and will revive entirely even with Windows phone that people thought it is not going to work. People are fed up of the Android with too much options and anarchy.

3165dwayne says:

simply not true. how are options a bad thing? windows phone, might be ok but you can't even change a wallpaper. and what anarchy are you talking about? I suggest you use a nexus or an HTC one and then be honest. and you can also just ignore the options you don't need. Microsoft needs to do something about stuff like that wallpaper thing imo. Never settle for less. Microsoft is a company like this, the minute you stop pressuring them or asking for more they become lazy and stagnant. if you don't agree with me on this one you are just being a blind fanboy. remember the windows mobile days

Paul Verizzo says:

OHMIGOD! Can't change the wallpaper!  The horror of it all!  Maybe, that's because WP has moved past icons and all that vacant screen real estate that we might as well fill with something we want to see. No need with tiles.
I think "Anarchy" perfectly describes Android.  Like open source Linux, I've tried both and find the lack of cohesion problematic.  Everyone is off doing their own thing, and often things don't work.  OTOH, look at Apple - who I love to hate, in general.  You gotta hand it to them. They control the show, hardware, software, apps.  And everyone loves how everything works all of the time.  WP is  close to that.  In fact, perhaps better because the two principles, MS and Nokia probably do well bouncing concepts off of each other.
I've used sevferal Nokia dumb phones, their S80 and S60 non-touchscreen smart phones, their s^3 Symbian touchscreen platform, some Androids, and my WP.  It is by far the most well thought out platform.

4look4rd says:

He has a point.  A lot of people find the home screen downright ugly, and lets be honest a little more costumization wouldn't hurt anyone.

Paul Verizzo says:

Gee, sure wish I had a clutch pedal to go with my new automatic transmission!
AFAICS, wallpaper and tiles are incompatible.  Heck, I sometimes miss the wallpaper of my well-boobied gf, but then that's not the real thing, either.
Of, course, one could always go back to icons and Androids.

mictic49 says:

I agree, I have been with windows phone and love my windows phone, but I have to say I really want more options. I would love to have transparent tiles, different background colors, just more options period. Face it, people dont like to feel restricted and I know personally I feel that way with my phone alot of the time.

Sagar Kumar2 says:

use skinery pro in windows store

rd_nest says:

People are fed up of the Android with too much options and anarchy??

Typical jerk. go to school

Fred0007 says:

Totally agree with you that's why I love Nokia.loving my Lumia925

Shifla says:

We don't need apps. We need OS updates with features the competitors' already have.

Menzlo says:

And also apps.

icyrock1 says:

I need the following apps:

Dropbox, Pocket, Feedly, Gmail, Google Drive, and a few others.

While updates are great, don't underestimate the importance of apps.

horbeme says:

In not sure about the others be we have dropbox, its on my phone now.

inteller says:

Gmail support is built in, you aren't fucking getting Google drive so get over it.  You need to get off those privacy invading google services.

Tragic says:

+925 Google and keep thier  privacy invading services off of my Winows Phone

icyrock1 says:

Who pissed in your coffee?

"Gmail support is built in, "

It's also built in on iOS. Doesn't stop the Gmail app from being superior in everyway.

"you aren't fucking getting Google drive so get over it. "

Why? Do you not think Windows Phone will grow enough for google to realize they have to support it?

" You need to get off those privacy invading google services."

I hate to break it to you, but Microsoft isn't a saint when it comes to privacy. Infact, google goes further to protect user privacy by defending them in court and such.

No company that makes software now a days respects privacy that much, either (the cloud and meta data makes that pretty much impossible).

Super2online says:

But they don't go rumaging, no specifically searching though every aspect of the services they provide like Google does to latch onto anything they can use to make money. The fact that people are ok with that astonishes me.
What I find ironic is this: If you saw your banker pull up and reach into your physicial mailbox outside of your house, opening your mail, taking notes, putting your mail back and then sending you more mailings based upon what they saw, you would be insensed instantly call the cops.
Yet you are a-ok with them doing that with every service they provide online. How people justify this is beyond me.

icyrock1 says:

I completely agree. If I could switch away from services that spy on me, I would. Sadly, my College chose to use Gmail for my .edu email address.

my college uses Office 365 :D

icyrock1 says:

Lol, lucky. I get a big discount for office, at least.

Did you get it for free?

ldp247 says:

+100   i agree with you.  I have to use GMail for school due to the fact that they use Google Chrome.  Not a big fan of the ads in my email.

someoneinwa says:

All internet companies collect data. True. Google is a special case however. 95 percent of Google revenue comes from advertising. They are a one trick pony. The only way to keep revenue growing is to get better information for better targeting of ads and in more places. Google will always be the most aggressive collector of data of any of these firms. They have to be. If you are OK with that, fine. And so what if they took someone to court, Microsoft brings down botnets. IE has tracking off by default, Chrome doesn't and Google sides with those who are fighting Microsoft on the tracking issue. I am not bashing you. Choice is a good thing, but eyes open is the best approach.

icyrock1 says:

"All internet companies collect data. True. Google is a special case however. 95 percent of Google revenue comes from advertising. They are a one trick pony. "

Can't argue with that.

"The only way to keep revenue growing is to get better information for better targeting of ads and in more places. Google will always be the most aggressive collector of data of any of these firms. They have to be. If you are OK with that, fine. And so what if they took someone to court, Microsoft brings down botnets. IE has tracking off by default, Chrome doesn't and Google sides with those who are fighting Microsoft on the tracking issue. I am not bashing you. Choice is a good thing, but eyes open is the best approach."

While IE and FF are going in the right direction, privacy wise, "tracking off" isn't really that effective when advertisers can (and do) flat out ignore that request.

I use a VNP for privacy, most of the time.

Duffau says:

His point remains valid.

icyrock1 says:

It's not made by Dropbox. Dropbox doesn't have an official app outfit the platform

horbeme says:

That doesn't mean it can't be used, I use it all the time and have no issues.

icyrock1 says:

It's more that; It shows a lack of commitment from big first party developers.

UzaiBaka says:

Yeah but we need updates so we can actually have the space to get new apps.

OMG55 says:

As our fellow WP member says, we have dropbox. As for you google items you're listing, you'll have to take it up with Google direct as MS has reached out to them attempting to get those apps, but google is just flat out being A**holes and denying us! This is why I refuse to support them anymore period until they change their attitudes. If MS was denying services, etc, the DOJ would be on their A**es like stink on Sh*t.......Straight Up!!!!!

icyrock1 says:

The apps aren't made by dropbox, is what i'm saying. There's no firstparty dropbox app for it on the platform, and I normally don't like trusting thirdparty apps with access to my files.

True. The whole youtube thing is horrible, and google has more than enough rescorces to support Windows Phone (IMO), but choses not to.

Don't act like Microsoft is the only one who get's there shit handed to them by the EU/DOJ, though. Currently Google is in a very big Anti-trust case with the EU and might have to stop being so anti-competitive soon.

Duffau says:

That's not how third party apps work. Unless they are built with the intent to have access to your files, which I believe MS screens for during the app submission process, but I could be wrong, they have no access to your files. The third party app for dropbox hooks you into the service directly through the dropbox API. Its one thing to say you want an official app (even though I disagree if you have excellent third party offerings), but to say that third party apps are not to be trusted is way overboard.

BartMiller says:

Nextgen supports Feedly.

Heatnup says:

Sounds like you need an Android phone if you are that tied to google and google drive.  They make Andriod phones for a reason...

blackhawk556 says:

Fuck yeah we need apps.

rodneyej says:

We need both❕.. Some of you don't expect much.

Scatty69 says:

dont worry
    in year or two,all big apps will be own by big google,ms or fb
    ;)

Rishicash says:

The WP8 version of Stockholm Syndrome.

Scatty69 says:

we need both

no my friend. More apps with same price with others OS (ios and android) and Windows phone OS updates. I think only Nokia save Windows phone  platform.

Agreed. Also read another interview where he (Nokia's guy) says they are pretty annoyed with Microsoft as well. That they don't put enough urgency into the OS updates and pushing to get the apps, like they (Nokia) are doing. Sounds like they are getting just as annoyed as us consumers with Microsoft's lack of support for the platform.

poddie says:

Uhhh... where is THAT interview? I think we'd all like to read it.

Diamondx_8 says:

It's all over the place.  Search for Nokia on Google News, Bing News, Yahoo News, etc. and you will see it.  The Nokia executive is making really good points about it too.

Yet Microsoft is giving them billions to do what they are doing....

Duffau says:

People seem to be reading news from everywhere but the source. While I enjoy reading wmpoweruser, they aren't exactly the best site for news as they tend to post rumors as fact and go off of miniscule, sometimes meaningless, details as absolute evidence. Check out the source whenever you read articles and decide for yourself. The Nokia VP and GM of app dev is strictly talking about apps, not updates. In fact, I believe some time back Paul Thurott or Mary Jo Foley pointed out that Nokia had asked MS to slow their update schedule on WP. Also, he says that they need apps that MS needs to push for, and on the other hand he says that there isn't much of a gap in apps and there isn't a single key app that won't be out or in development at the end of the year. Not to mention, it is absolutely undeniable that MS is pouring money and resources into Nokia and Devs to secure big name apps, but sometimes that's out of their hands (see google). Also, MS and Nokia are very different types of companies and their strategies are different. They are also working on development for Xbox 1 and win 8, but they are working on apps being easy to port between OSs; WP will get more help from W8 with this than vice versa, IMO. Check out the source here:

Better late than never.

cheesemoo says:

Better Nate than lever

Worlds longest joke

cheesemoo says:

How many characters do we get in the comments?

schlubadub says:

Letter nate than bever

TechFreak1 says:

That would be the final nail hammered into Blackberry's coffin lol, so I don't see that happening just yet.

Zokudu says:

But its already on android and iOS

icyrock1 says:

? No it's not. It's planned to come out later this year.

Josh Harman says:

What's so special about BBM?

Nik Rolls says:

Nothing, they can just as easily use WhatsApp or Viber, and have more features.

Well...  I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here (in Dubai, UAE) BlackBerry devices are popular because of its messenger. And by popular I mean that even young school kids have/had a BlackBerry... I hate BB devices but the messenger is superb, and it has a great community here as well... :-)

inteller says:

yeah that kinda shows you where you all are at technology wise.

NightWatch71 says:

Whatsapp? Viber? or thousands of any other messaging services. I mean why BB?

Henky Foo says:

actually this kind of messaging services require community.
    what i mean is like if you are in a country where the community are using BBM, there will be very important for you to have it too, and on others hand if you were in a country where whatsapp is trending not BBM, you would not find the importance of having BBM.
    sorry for my bad english

3165dwayne says:

it's the same thing in Jamaica. they are behind the times

rodneyej says:

Its popular, and a lot of people use it.. Bottom line, any app that you can say that about we need on WP.

Do or do not, there is no try.

ZX9 says:

It's true...

theefman says:

Tell that to Microsoft, Nokia passed the "try" point when they had to push MS to add LTE to the Lumia 900. They are all about doing but the snails at Microsoft are holding them back.

Micrososft just recently had a major reorganization if I recall correctly, so this will hopefully be not much of an issue going forward.

erfanullah says:

If you reorganize snails, their doesn't increase.

Menzlo says:

I think it's going to be some time before we see the fruits of that reorg.

Robborboy says:

Results are already being seen on the Xbox side of things.

True. Xbox updates have been rolling out constantly.

lippidp says:

While it can be motivational, this line is really a bit simplistic.  Sure, I can "do" everything.  Will I "do" it well, or will it suck?  Does that matter?  Anyway, that's what I would have said if I was Luke.

DJCBS says:

Here's the mandatory Instagram comment:

"We want Instagram! When is that comming??!!"

And while we're at it:

"What about 7.8 users? We feel abandoned!"

There. I just spared a lot of people the work. You're welcome!

lubbalots says:

Wells Fargo app! There, I spared a few people.

raul_junior says:

But they are already making it

lubbalots says:

Lolzz! Wmpu reported this more than 6 months ago and still no WF app.

rebel_yell says:

I'm a YNAB user and while in the midst of an online training session I posed the question "when will I see a win 8 app?" (they already have iOS and andrhoid). Everyone associated with this product are Apple eaters so the answer to be expected was "not enough users to support the investment". Guess I'll be forwarding this article to them.

Josh Harman says:

You forgot the "blah, blah, 512 Mb, blah".

DJCBS says:

Damn. Forgot that one! Anyway, thanks for getting that one covered ;D

The1nChicago says:

Yeah, MS totally screwed us WP 7.8 users.  I love my lumia 900 but as an early adopter MS got us good.  I will be waiting until the next best Nokia phone that will launch in the 4th quarter.  As an ex-iPhone user, just wondering if I made the right move.

DJCBS says:

I know the feeling. I also have a Lumia 800 (well had, I gave it to my mother). However I came a from Nokia (actually I came to WP because of Nokia and nothing else). If I had come from the iPhone however, after the 7.8 fiasco, I would have returned to the iPhone without hesitating.
    (Actually I considered getting the iPhone 5 instead of the L920 because of that...I just decided to give MS one last chance, because...well, I hate Apple and the prospect of having to move to a completely different platform was not appealing. Also I've been a Nokia user for 15 years...I don't wish to leave the company.)

Pacmanimal says:

LOL. I came from an Iphone 3Gs to a used Lumia 900 and after 6 weeks I abandoned WP7.5 for very crappy support and lack of all minimal needed apps. This was september 2012.
    Got myself a used Iphone 4s and luckily it defected on me last may and in giving it a new chance I gor myself a used HTC 8X.
    Only since the newest Whatsapp and Teamviewer ability I can say WP8 "will do" but honestly no more then that.
    I will stick with this phone until Q4 and hope to renew my contract with an 5" GDR3 phone full HD and quad core, then all that is needed is better MSFT support and some essential apps after which I will make all my customers buy WP8 (WP 8.1)
    - Dropbox, Instagram, Enterprise Support and just very few others...
    Like my WP8/HTC 8X not loving it (just yet)

eyesoreM says:

Real early adopters' contracts have expired so we've already got the new batch of wp8 phones. C'mon, bite the bullet & upgrade.

techiez says:

you seem to live in you small world, not everyone gets their phones on contract and not everyone lives in US, ppl like me hv spent quite an amount of money to buy devices such as lumia 800 only to be rendered useless in couple of months,

Diamondx_8 says:

HTC Titan I owners never even got 7.8.  On AT&T we are still stuck with 7.5.  It is just about time for me to upgrade and I won't even consider anything but Nokia for a Windows Phone.

Shoulders says:

You might want to consider changing provider too then, as my old unlocked/unbranded UK Titan got 7.8 no problem

cdbstl76 says:

Lets see it! There isn't much I am missing, other than a PNC app. That's all that's left for me. I just get tired of "critics" talking about the app market for WP. That's all they have left to complain about, take that away...then what? - Perspective: I am only speaking from a US standpoint. I don't mean to negate other markets...

cam45fblax says:

They will harp on the lack of 1080p resolution and quad core processing not allowed by GDR2 and then they'll always moan about how WP is one generation behind the stupid and needless spec race...until we realize that not only is the OS optimized but not many people truly utilize multiple cores! What would be the best thing to improve is battery life, feature sets etc not gimmicky hardware specs

rebel_yell says:

Why, don't you know? "Everyone" is flocking to the latest tech.

cdbstl76 says:

Right, that's what the 520 and its variants are the beat selling WP phone. I am taking your response as sarcasm and responding in kind. Let me know if I am wrong.

Bloobed says:

They are the latest tech in their price-range though.

cdbstl76 says:

I don't disagree, and battery life would be the best thing to improve, and I would put that at #1 on my list. I was just saying, and it was poorly stated on my part I admit, they couldn't use that as their last sentence in EVERY review.

Robborboy says:

To be fair, alot of games run like shit. Better specs would fix this. NOVA is nearly unplayable, and Spartan Assault is full of frame drops.

Bloobed says:

Yeah, and it seems difficult to understand for some that it's not about the cores, it's also about the GPU in the newer SoCs.

People like that will always find something. To be fair, it happens in every tech forum. Me? I'm pretty pleased with my 520. Only app I want is (predictably) instagram (an official one). But then, there are unofficial apps which I can and do use and I also have an ipad I can email my photos to which I took on my WP when out, then upload it which is what I normally do.

Anyways, point is, there will always be SOMETHING to complain about. But such things get more and more petty as you've pointed out.

XcZachx20 says:

I'm glad I'm not the only waiting for PNC apps

kevin sledge says:

Here here sir. I second that.

I'll third that...a Virtual Wallet app is the app I'm hoping to see the most!

btgusto says:

He also said, "We are trying to evolve the cultural thinking [at Microsoft] to say 'time is of the essence.'  Waiting until the end of the fiscal year when you need to close your targets, doesn't do us any good when i have phones to sell today."-BGR
    Speaks volumes to me!

vkvraju says:

Well pointed. Even Nokia is slowly losing its patience with Microsoft. The longer Ballmer stays, the deeper Microsoft will get into trouble.

Jf.Vigor says:

I think balmer is doing everything he can. He doesn't single handedly run microsoft

pulkit10 says:

Ballmer is in a bit of a bother right now. Already investors are crowing at him because PC sales are slowing down and they are losing money (big time) on their entertainment division (Surface, RT, Bing, WP - all cost more than they give back right now). The company is doing extremely well financially but he'll have to decide - should he put more resources into these projects and risk the ire of investors or does he just leave them like they are for now and restructure. He chose the latter but I completely agree with Nokia. If Microsoft wants any kind of long term success, they'll have to start betting hard on their products. Half-assed attempts aren't going to get them anywhere and its not like they don't have plenty of examples of that happening anyways.

poddie says:

This is music to my ears! Please Nokia, push MS hard and publicly to get their asses in gear. Also to improve customer communication... rescind "shit up and ship" and start pumping out the features people are begging for for three years! I love WP but am almost convinced MS will not ever find their footing with it... I really don't think it would be that hard if they just poured some devs into it for six months and knock out a ton of missing features to bring it up to parity.

NightWatch71 says:

After the last article with 500+ comments, they probably thought that it's best not to mention it. Not cool though.

AliNSiddiqui says:

Well I havent heard anything regarding a FIFA Ultimate Team app.

ZX9 says:

Apps are being conquered. Now for games!

dkp23 says:

when those apps come on board, then the question transitions to if wp8 will have an app developed and released the same time as IOS/Android.

The 3rd party apps like instance/6sec/metrotube are more than capable of working as a 1st party app.  It is just a stigma of 1st party vs 3rd party name.

You say that like apps get released on iPhone and android at the same time all the time at the moment.

I'm sure that time gap will shorten as we get caught up with the apps already seen on those platforms...but I see a gap as inevitable given the other platforms.

They're not 'more than capable'. They're just a stop gap arrangement till the official app comes. Just a very simple example is the inability to upload videos using Instance. The feature was announced over a month ago and it's still not included in Instance. And it's a PAID app as opposed to the FREE Instagram app on iOS or Android. So no, these apps will never drive the platform forward.

Josh Harman says:

Yes, very few 3rd party apps are "as good" as the official... and having to pay for the app or features when they would be free on the official is the biggest difference.

dalydose says:

I disagree. Some of them are BETTER than the "official" apps.  Metrotube is better than "official" YouTube on Android and iOS.  4th & Mayor is just as good and was WAY better for a long time than the "official" Foursquare.

I know people who switched who were happy with the 3rd party alternatives, so your perspective is not universal.  The obsession withe word "official" astounds me.  What if the 1st party company just bought the 3rd party developer's app and called it "official"? Would people all of a sudden be in ecstacy??

blackprince says:

To answer your last question...a big resounding yes.

Josh Harman says:

Free is always better too me.

isnt there a free version of instance thats ad supported?

hallam555 says:

Sky Go, Official BBC, Instagram, Barclays Bank, proper BBC iplayer, the list goes on and on .....

pooleyjnr says:

Spot on ^ all of those please and an official Santander app and i will be as happy as a pig in a truffle scented bubble bath. One thing about WP is they are behind in the numbers but the apps we do have are quality, compared to the 100,000's "zombie" apps on ios and android.

blackprince says:

What apps other Instagram are missing? I think some banking apps, Scotia iTrade would be great, YouTube, F1 timing app and not much else.

pooleyjnr says:

The F1 timing app has been released.

blackprince says:

Since when? Edit: I see it but $27 is a big ouch. Damn that greedy Ecclestone.

pooleyjnr says:

Since our good friends at WPCentral advised us on the 25th. Its not cheap though at £19.99/$24! Stupid app name - Timing '13 CP

lovebill says:

Instagram, wp8 Flickr, Snapchat, Snapseed, Google hangouts and maps, feedly,

dalydose says:

* We have flickr, so that doesn't count as "missing", but rather "in need up upgrade". I really like Pixl anyway, so I'm covered there.
    * Instagram. OK. Whatever. Instagram is an arrogant company that blocks other developers while not able to be bothered with developing for new platforms. Take complaints to them or use an alternative if it really is a "must have" for you.
    * Snapchat. Looks like Snapchat protested and the alternatives are gone. I'd go complain directly to to Snapchat.

Seriously, I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but you're wasting your time waiting on those Google Apps. We'll see Siri on Windows Phone about the same time you get Google Maps. If you are THAT addicted to Google services, I'd highly suggest that you consider an Android phone.

glassadam says:

Yup I use Nokia and Bing maps and haven't been let down yet, and that counts many out-of-state road trips. Of course I'm in the US, so I don't know how it is elsewhere.

Brian3 says:

I really like the confidence Nokia is showing. So glad I bought a Nokia phone. I don't know if I would ever buy another brand.

neo158 says:

Yeah well according to most Nokia users no other brands exist anyway!!!

rmichael75 says:

ofcourse they dont exist in WP.... i dont see anyone making any noise...

neo158 says:

Are you vb2012 using a different name, it sure seems like it!!!!

Darren Walsh says:

I swear this to piss my girlfriend off she is android, will there be a candy crush ever , I need to shut her up about it. Lol

Josh Harman says:

If so, by the time it comes out the fad will be over.
    The game sucks IMO.

UzaiBaka says:

I think its fun....

Need Pronto! app from communiGate.
    another app callcentric.

Flagz says:

I'm also more worried about applications getting updated. Alot of the aren't on par with iOS and Android counterparts. The third party apps however afar surpass the counterparts. Time will tell nit only if apps come, but if they continue dedicated support.

sickleykey says:

If there are a few applications that are missing for me, i use the browser. But the live tiles, metro interfaces and the slick OS combined with Nokia hardware is just too good for me to look elsewhere. I am a happy Nokia fan :)

sasukeluffy says:

Instagram, Steam, Battlelog, FiFa Ultimate Team and then the games. That's all I'm missing.

boxa72 says:

I won't buy another brand either but I'm kinda sick of such small internal memory n no SD, yes I own a 925 which I've already half filled after a couple of weeks!! There are phones out there much thinner with huge internal memory n SD support, snap out of it Nokia/MS! A 41MP shooter is gonna demolish 32megs in a week!!!

You will demolish 32 MB in minutes.  However, luckily for you the phone comes with 32 GB.

Josh Harman says:

...and soon to be 64 GB.

A Doctor Who game would be great on WP

Wazzim says:

Quite a positive spin on the actual interview lol.

denzzo2002 says:

I need rotation lock, I can't understand why it's not implemented?

feariam says:

I second this.

Josh Harman says:

Because WP doesn't like you. Purely personal.

slap0rama says:

I need this also!

UzaiBaka says:

The problem is you want it, if we act like its a dumb feature and we don't have any use for it, then Microsoft might add it.

We'll never get good features because half the comments I see on here are people saying in response to such demands: "we don't need (insert useful feature here) because my (insert cool, stylish, but ultimately flawed WP feature here) has those bases covered!!".

glassadam says:

"We don't need a notification center because windows phone's beautiful live tiles have all those bases covered!" lol

UzaiBaka says:

I can't tell if your playing off my sarcasm or you think I was serious...in any case I agree, the community really needs to open their eyes and band together and demand Microsoft gets their act together. We should schedule a massive twitter bomb on them.

3165dwayne says:

thank you. these guys must not remember what Microsoft is like. they have such short memories. they don't remember why Microsoft lost their position in the first place. all the negligence that was windows mobile

poddie says:

Rotation lock is the bane of my existence. So easy to code, so frustrating to not have. This to me more than any other example shows Microsoft's head up it's ass.

Exactly what I thinking.  They implemented right the rotation lock in the surface rt/pro since version 1, why they just don't want to implement that in the phone???? I just don't get it.

Hassan Shah says:

I'm starting to think that there never will be an Instagram app. Neither will there be a half-life 3.

mrdeezus says:

Because i have a business i had to get an crapdroid phone for one app, Squareup. I need credit card processong and it boggles the mind that wp is supposed to be a serious smartphone but its phones and tablets lack this app...completely fucking lame...

Josh Harman says:

Have you tried Cube Credit Card Terminal?

mrdeezus says:

if there was a VIABLE alternative i would be using it.

I'm looking forward to having the YouTube app back.

Dk92 says:

Have you tried Youtube HD and Mytube? Totally amazing apps. But I would also welcome an official YouTube app, just to say we have one.

kjordan_29 says:

He was also pretty critical of Microsoft, "“We are releasing new devices frequently and for every new device, if there is an app that somebody cares about that’s not there that’s a missed opportunity of a sale,” he explained. “People rely on applications for their day-to-day life and if you don’t have something which I use in my day-to-day life I’m not going to switch… It’s not just about the hardware, it’s about the tools that are on the hardware. You can’t sell a phone without the apps, you just can’t.”

Josh Harman says:

That's not completely on Microsoft, that's on companies and developers.

Tjarren says:

You can't force these devs to make an app, though. And I wouldn't be surprised if some want MS to pay exorbitantly for them to make one just because MS has money and want the app. Demonizing MS alone for this is a mistake.

neo158 says:

I have to laugh at this quote "The Windows Phone Store will continue to grow with official and popular apps arriving, which are already available on other platforms.", theres a caveat to that though isn't there, only on Nokia Windows Phones. Really the quote should read "The Nokia Collection will continue to grow with official and popular apps arriving, which are already available on other platforms."

poddie says:

Anybody that doesn't buy Nokia just needs to understand that the other companies don't give a crap. That said, I'm glad they don't because if we had three diff mfgs each with their own exclusive apps it would be a disaster. The way it is, you just buy Nokia and you're good. I'm ok with that.

neo158 says:

So rather than paying say, $200 for a phone you would rather pay maybe, $20,000. That's what will happen, without other manufacturers making Windows Phones Nokia can then charge whatever they like.

poddie says:

Yes, exactly.  Without other WP manufactureres, Nokia will clearly take advantage of the incredible demand and unwillingness of users to use other platforms, and will set their device price at $20,000.  There's no way that plan could fail!  Nokia will take over the world!!!

Clearly neo, you do not have a firm grasp on business, marketing, or economics.

NightWatch71 says:

Nokia collection is the only reason WP gets some popular apps. Here apps alone should make people shut up about exclusivity.

neo158 says:

Wrong, the only reason popular apps are on Windows Phone is because Nokia had to bribe them with stupid amounts of money!!!

Wow we have some Nokia apps, big deal. How many of those other "exclusives" have made it to other Windows Phones.

NightWatch71 says:

So? I don't care how they get it as long as they do. About other exclusives; they have a timeframe. They are not going to keep them as exclusives forever. These are the apps/games that people were never going to get in the first place. At the end, everyone wins.

boomerz says:

I just want an official Wells Fargo, Starbucks, and Instagram app and I'll be set.  I wish Microsoft just made these apps themselves instead of relying on the respective companies to do so.  I know Microsoft made the Facebook and Twitter apps, why not these as well.

Rem97 says:

They made Facebook but not twitter. Twitter is an official app. (Made by twitter)

Josh Harman says:

They only made Facebook, and in collaboration with Fb... and that's because Facebook os a "can't live without" app - plus its integrated throughout the phone. None of those other services you mentioned have a billion registered users.

upsidedown says:

They better have mlb at bat!

Blkacesvf41 says:

SiriusXM is my #1 request. I wouldn't mind seeing HBO GO on both WP8 and Windows 8 actually.

scdkad says:

Me too on siriusxm. There was an excellent app that did work but they kept changing the streams or something according to the dev.
    And I never get the answer I want to hear when I ask them if they will ever make an app!

Both would be welcome additions, especially (for me) HBO Go.

snakechia says:

Again,who care for Google? Don't need them in Windows Phone world. :P

Josh Harman says:

Ehh... I want to agree, but I think we need YouTube.

DontHate707 says:

Nokia ain't playing games!

glassadam says:

Unofficial apps like 6sec, as great as they are, just aren't enough. Taste-makers in the mobile space will continue to dismiss windows phone until we have all the OFFICIAL apps in our ecosystem. As an example, the guys on the Vergecast routinely dismiss Windows phone because of the app situation, and when an unofficial app (Instance, for example) is mentioned that gets the job done-- regardless of the quality-- they dismiss it out of hand. That's their podcast, listened to by tons of people who have an interest in this stuff, and those listeners go on to influence others. Not to mention the low ecosystem scores on every WP review, due to the app situation. Basically, what I'm saying is that these official apps need to get out before the regular tech media will give us a serious chance.

Pages